Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Branham and Zollins, get it done RC
    I know we would need to give up draft capital, but I would rather give our own picks than the Atlanta ones. The thing is, for the Hawks to accept any kind of Trae trade with the Spurs, the least they would probably ask for is all their picks back. So yeah, I guess I'm saying I wouldn't trade for Young. I'd rather have the picks.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know we would need to give up draft capital, but I would rather give our own picks than the Atlanta ones. The thing is, for the Hawks to accept any kind of Trae trade with the Spurs, the least they would probably ask for is all their picks back. So yeah, I guess I'm saying I wouldn't trade for Young. I'd rather have the picks.
    Why would you rather have the picks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you rather have the picks?
    The thing here is, I don't know if the boat is good enough to get me where I want to go. I'd rather check the multiple unrestricted mistery boxes I have, in search of plane tickets, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched ATL 1st half against Utah and even though ATL was up a good amount from the start and won big ....

Dejounte was terrible in the first half. Looked like a Spur out there, brick city and bad unconnecting lob passes

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched ATL 1st half against Utah and even though ATL was up a good amount from the start and won big ....

Dejounte was terrible in the first half. Looked like a Spur out there, brick city and bad unconnecting lob passes
    Team seems more focused and want to win tho when trae not playing.Heard trae is not well liked,Could be interesting if they look
    good with out him.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing here is, I don't know if the boat is good enough to get me where I want to go. I'd rather check the multiple unrestricted mistery boxes I have, in search of plane tickets, tbh.
    This team is so trash and so devoid of talent, plus it's not like those are going to be really high picks as long as Young is still there in Atlanta. Victor is so much better than we expected and it just sucks seeing him held back by having no one who can get him good shots on this team even when the opportunity is obvious. Trae Young ain't missing Wemby on lobs two plays in a row in the fourth like Tre Jones did tonight. I don't think the Spurs can screw around having Victor so frustrated like he was tonight, but that's the plan if it's just run this team back with another rookie or two and hope Young gets injured and one of those Atlanta picks turns into Cooper Flagg or AJ Dybantsa.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is so trash and so devoid of talent, plus it's not like those are going to be really high picks as long as Young is still there in Atlanta. Victor is so much better than we expected and it just sucks seeing him held back by having no one who can get him good shots on this team even when the opportunity is obvious. Trae Young ain't missing Wemby on lobs two plays in a row in the fourth like Tre Jones did tonight. I don't think the Spurs can screw around having Victor so frustrated like he was tonight, but that's the plan if it's just run this team back with another rookie or two and hope Young gets injured and one of those Atlanta picks turns into Cooper Flagg or AJ Dybantsa.
    Atlanta is bottom 10 in the league with Trae and no draft assets. I think their pick will be in that range with or without him on the team. When I look at trading for Trae i try and look at who we'd be competing with and what they can offer. A package of Cha, Atlanta 25, Spurs 25, and our 27, with Collins and Graham would be very hard to beat. 27 could even be essentially a swap in their favor if we needed to sweeten it. That leaves us Keldon and other draft assets to make a subsequent deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, the Lakers can put together a package of 3 FRPs and a swap. ATL pulls the trigger. Now, what do you think of those picks, with Trae in LA?

People here act like the only options are to trade everything, or nearly everything for Trae, or just onboard two top 10 rookies. You can onboard the rookies, and go after rangy wing 3 and Ds like Jaden McDaniels or Herb Jones from teams that haven’t done anything, yet have enormous payrolls. You can go and get a rebounder, and a placeholder PG like Brogdon. There are tons of options between throw everything at Trae, and only make draft picks.
    Last edited by exstatic; 02-28-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, the Lakers can put together a package of 3 FRPs and a swap. ATL pulls the trigger. Now, what do you think of those picks, with Trae in LA?

People here act like the only options are to trade everything, or nearly everything for Trae, or just onboard two top 10 rookies. You can onboard the rookies, and go after rangy wing 3 and Ds like Jaden McDaniels or Herb Jones from teams that haven’t done anything, yet have enormous payrolls. You can go and get a rebounder, and a placeholder PG like Brogdon. There are tons of options between throw everything at Trae, and only make draft picks.
    Adding more role players who are making legit money is worst possible option. Our cap space is quickly drying up without a star to show for it.

Also how do you plan on rostering all these rookies? One or two picks this year with potentially five first round picks next year plus the role players you just added in addition to to what's already on the team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding more role players who are making legit money is worst possible option. Our cap space is quickly drying up without a star to show for it.

Also how do you plan on rostering all these rookies? One or two picks this year with potentially five first round picks next year plus the role players you just added in addition to to what's already on the team.
    Everyone on the team won’t stay on the team. Minnesota is going to be second Apron next year with only 9 players. Offer to trade Jalen McDaniels for the CHA pick, Devonte, who they can cut and save $10M, Malaki, and Champagnie. They get apron relief, a FRP, and two young CHEAP rotation players. We get a true 3 and D guy, and two roster openings.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone on the team won’t stay on the team. Minnesota is going to be second Apron next year with only 9 players. Offer to trade Jalen McDaniels for the CHA pick, Devonte, who they can cut and save $10M, Malaki, and Champagnie. They get apron relief, a FRP, and two young CHEAP rotation players. We get a true 3 and D guy, and two roster openings.
    You're not getting him with the fake Hornets pick and cutting Mal kinda proves that first round picks outside the top five are overrated assets. Also I think if Graham gets dealt his contact becomes guaranteed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can’t do that with Devonte’s contract - that loophole doesn’t exist anymore. Spurs can only save Minnesota money by absorbing contracts into cap space but so can many other teams.

Teams won’t give up good assets just for cap relief anymore. There are more creative ways. For example, the Lakers could have saved a ton of money by trading a small contract or two at the deadline but decided not to do so and stayed over the tax, also missing out on some $20 million from redistribution. Teams and owners bathe in money nowadays and they won’t compromise just for savings anymore. Perhaps the odd crazy owner would push for it but it’d be an outlier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Atlanta isn't dumping Trae to tank without their picks. It would be moronic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Atlanta isn't dumping Trae to tank without their picks. It would be moronic.
    Many on this board think we have to give everything to avoid losing him to LA. The plain fact is that he has either an ETO or a opt out in 2026, and they might lose him for nothing if they don’t trade him. Ttading him this summer means that the team gets two years of Trae. If it drags on longer, his value plummets as his contract time shortens. It’s better to get 3 crap LA picks and a swap then nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many on this board think we have to give everything to avoid losing him to LA. The plain fact is that he has either an ETO or a opt out in 2026, and they might lose him for nothing if they don’t trade him. Ttading him this summer means that the team gets two years of Trae. If it drags on longer, his value plummets as his contract time shortens. It’s better to get 3 crap LA picks and a swap then nothing.
    Those are some real rose colored glasses you're wearing thinking they're going to trade Trae to tank immediately to get the Spurs three top 5 picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would ATL make that trade? Those picks wouldn't be worth it if they're trading Trae. At least with the Spurs they can get their own picks back so they can legitimately try and tank. If they trade Young, their best move would be to trade him to the Spurs for their own picks so they can have more control over where those picks land.

Spurs are in a win/win situation here. If Atlanta decides to keep Trae: Spurs win with three FRPs. If Atlanta decides to trade Trae to another team: Spurs win, because that should make ATL worse and give them potential lottery picks. If Atlanta trade Trae to the Spurs: Spurs win because they get one of the top creators/passers in the game who many feel pairs perfectly with Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would ATL make that trade? Those picks wouldn't be worth it if they're trading Trae. At least with the Spurs they can get their own picks back so they can legitimately try and tank. If they trade Young, their best move would be to trade him to the Spurs for their own picks so they can have more control over where those picks land.

Spurs are in a win/win situation here. If Atlanta decides to keep Trae: Spurs win with three FRPs. If Atlanta decides to trade Trae to another team: Spurs win, because that should make ATL worse and give them potential lottery picks. If Atlanta trade Trae to the Spurs: Spurs win because they get one of the top creators/passers in the game who many feel pairs perfectly with Wemby.
    If the Spurs decide they don't want to give back the Atl package, then whose offering more than LA for 2 years of Trae?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He has the option to walk in 26. We got as much as we did for DJ, because he had two years left. Trae will have two years left this summer. They’ll get less if they trade him later,because the receiving team has less contract control.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you cant be getting by far the best player in the trade and also be picky about which picks you are or arent willing to part with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AD is still playing very well and is just about to turn 31. Trae is still 25, and the lakers, being who they are and where they are, have a track record of attracting surrounding talent. the value of lakers picks would be pretty bad if you send them a young Trae. right now all those future laker picks seem great because thats a post lebron and old anthony davis lakers. but if its still peak Trae + old AD... its a different floor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No one thinks that, or has even suggested it, you just keep repeating it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think this is definitely the worst case of the three since it's probably picks around #10 in 25 and 26. Who knows in 27. And it's two picks and a swap, not three. Maybe the 26 swap moves them up from say #16 to #10 if they haven't made any big moves to infuse talent into this roster by then if Trae stays in Atlanta.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also people keep saying the Hawks have to take back Zollins so salaries match but that isn't true. Spurs will have roughly 26M in cap space so Keldon (20M) for Young (49M) works because the Spurs can absorb Young salary minus Keldon's salary.

Spurs might have to attach a pick to include Zollins and the fake Hornets pick wont do. It would probably cost the Bulls or Raps pick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Trae leaves then the pick might become quite high

Thread Information