Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have still my doubts I don't see Green as a 25 - 30 mn PO guy, I don't see the Spurs having a chance against the biggest front court with Blair and Matt playing 35 mn and Tiago playing 10 to 15 mn a game, still not sold on neal for backup pg duties, I'm not sure our D will be there... but its true this team is much better than last year... big difference is we are winning games even on bad 3s shooting night.

WCF still the ceiling for me at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not so sure this is the last stand. Next year Tony, Manu and Tim should produce more or less the same numbers and players like Leonard and Splitter should get bigger roles. Plus the "Blair conundrum" shuld be non-existent by then. I think the window is still open next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drive for five! Believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to say believe, but Pop's coaching over the last couple of years leaves me with realistic doubt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    final time?

you dont think the spurs got a shot in the next couple of years?
    No.

With Duncan, at barely 36 and Ginobili, at almost 35, they're still contenders. But when Duncan is well into 36 and Ginobili is well into 35, they've got no shot.

Don't you know that when NBA players make that quantum leap 200 or so days forward past 35, they automatically go from stars to non stars?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about rotations IMO. I gotta see some decent rotations.

How much time would be needed to build cohesiveness for the playoffs? When does he need to go to a playoff rotation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without the Big 3, the Spurs put up a great fight against a desperate Jazz team. They didn't get the W but a few breaks here and there and things would have been different. Regardless, there was a ton of heart on display and a tough-mindedness that has me believing in this team again.

Let's be honest, if Tim Duncan is going to win a fifth NBA championship ring, this is his final hope. He's not getting any younger and neither are his two star sidekicks. And when whole, this team has shown the ability to play with any team in the league.

If the Spurs can stay healthy, get vintage play out of the Big 3 and have their role players step up when needed, I believe the 2012 Spurs can achieve their goal.

For the final time:

Believe.

I still think HCA is vital against OKC and Mia. Less sold whether we need it to beat Chicago, but I doubt the Bulls will beat the Heat anyway.

The Spurs battle plan is to stay even with the starters and destroy the other teams when the bench units play. However, here's where that plan fizzles: OKC and Miami have goddamn freaks on their team.

Durant and Westbrook, especially, are so young that they never seem to sweat or get tired, and Brooks knows he's got garbage behind them. They might get a couple of token minutes off in the first half, but I absolutely expect both of them to play the entire 24 minutes of the second half. When you count all the extra timeouts and commercial breaks people get in the playoffs, fatigue will not be an issue for them.

With Miami, it's pretty much the same thing. LeBron wears down mentally at times, but physically the dude just doesn't get tired.

We need every edge we can get . Our role players play with more confidence at home and shoot better. We need to shoot for HCA. If we have to be the 2 seed and play at OKC, it will be tough to have hope, especially with the knowledge that ESPN/ABC DOES NOT WANT US IN THE FINALS. I'm expecting the refs in the playoffs will be like the ones we had at Utah tonight, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Staying even with the other team's starters is a re ed plan. The starters should create a lead and the bench should just maintain or grow that lead. That's why teams start their best players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe, but oh dear god how I desperately hope

Tebow beat the Steelers, anything is possible...

and the Spurs were God's team first anyways, what with Avery and Robinson and Texas and whatever

#1 poster - @chazley
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team has two realistic chances to win a championship with this team: this year and next. This definitely isn't the last stand with this core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    final time?

you dont think the spurs got a shot in the next couple of years?
    I truly believe this is their last legit chance that doesn't require a miracle. Duncan is turning back the clock with all of his might to play at a high enough level. It'll be difficult for him to hold back Father Time for the rest of this season ... much less going into next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJ can you post your avatar?

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Believe.

Go Spurs!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I truly believe this is their last legit chance that doesn't require a miracle. Duncan is turning back the clock with all of his might to play at a high enough level. It'll be difficult for him to hold back Father Time for the rest of this season ... much less going into next year.
    That's why the idea of limiting Splitter's minutes because of Duncan is so re ed. Why would you limit Splitter's effectiveness when it could be combined with Duncan's and reduce minutes for Bonner/Blair?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why the idea of limiting Splitter's minutes because of Duncan is so re ed. Why would you limit Splitter's effectiveness when it could be combined with Duncan's and reduce minutes for Bonner/Blair?
    I'm 100% with you but perhaps a little optimism is warranted here.

Pop saw the same thing we did last year against Memphis and although it took him a little while to see Splitter needed to play he eventually did it.

So it stands to reason that this year he'll give it a try sooner rather than waiting until the team's almost eliminated. I'm hoping anyway.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm 100% with you but perhaps a little optimism is warranted here.

Pop saw the same thing we did last year against Memphis and although it took him a little while to see Splitter needed to play he eventually did it.

So it stands to reason that this year he'll give it a try sooner rather than waiting until the team's almost eliminated. I'm hoping anyway.
    I still think Pop really doesn't think much of Splitter. He always makes it seem like Tiago was injured most of last year. I believe if Dice hadn't retired Tiago would probably still be treated like the 5th big.

I needs six for my fix. UnWantedTheory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm on board, but I will also say that I believe they have just as good a chance next year as this year. I don't think TD, Gino, & TP's production is going to fall off too drastically and we still have some talent with room to grow. I am really excited to see how Kawhi develops, if Splitter gets the PT he deserves, and what else is going to happen with our bigs roatation next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next year we will be 2nd round fodder at best

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think Pop really doesn't think much of Splitter. He always makes it seem like Tiago was injured most of last year. I believe if Dice hadn't retired Tiago would probably still be treated like the 5th big.
    I agree with this which is why I wouldn't be surprised if Tiago eventually went to Houston (since it seems like our bigs always go to other Texas teams at a discount and Ian's already in Dallas) and blew up.

Thing is, even if he doesn't like Splitter he won't have a choice but to play him in the playoffs. The fact that he turned to Tiago when the team was in trouble last year suggests that Pop knows he's an effective player on some level. Bonner and Blair likely won't play all that well again so Pop will be forced to play him eventually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red five, standing by.

Believe is in the air.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh all this thread needs is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKhTk0IynHM

And probably Kenny Powers too.