Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic played in the Serbian and Adriatic leagues, so yeah, it kinda is. If you’re 17/18 playing well and getting minutes (pretty rare) in a grown ass man’s league over across the pond, you’re something different.
    European leagues have very different levels. The best players (euros, US or wordlwide) naturally go and play where the money is... Spain, Turkey (and until recently Russia), then Grece, France, Italy, Germany... ABA League is a minor league that doesn't pay as much. Top down to mid players don't go play there. The top team is the Red star belgrad who is OK and concentrates the bet players of the ABA League (they were 11-23 in euroleague this year) but behind the average level is pretty poor compared to bigger leagues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The local YMCA is a grown man league. Stop saying grown man league like it means anything. G League is a grown man league and it's proven to be really ty for young players because it's a bull league with no coaching. NBL turns out bad NBA players despite being a brien man league. It means nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’d be disappointing at draft night to pick Topić who might not be playing the entire season. But If Spurs draft him at 8, it could be because they know more about the player Topic would become down the line, having the highest ceiling. The Spurs are not contending next season. So an injured Topic wouldn’t make a big difference in drafting him.
    Sure but that's still one year lost in his development if you want to make him your future starting PG and Wemby waiting for a buddy to play or improve with...

And I value and care more about Wemby's career and development (every year of Vic's career should be sanctified, worshipped and glorified...). Topic is not a franchise player, is it worth losing on year waiting for him while you have victor on your team? Not like Topic was a no brainer of a pick and a surefire future star either. If he busts, after a year out, that makes the pick even more damaging. and you still don't have your future PG.

Anyway, I personally don't believe spurs are on Topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The local YMCA is a grown man league. Stop saying grown man league like it means anything. G League is a grown man league and it's proven to be really ty for young players because it's a bull league with no coaching. NBL turns out bad NBA players despite being a brien man league. It means nothing.
    Grown man’s league in Europe means the senior team, not the youth team. You can look at stats from both, but senior team stats bear much more weight. Most senior teams don’t play 17/18 year olds anything other than spot minutes, like a late season MLB call up. If they’re playing big minutes and doing well, take notice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure but that's still one year lost in his development if you want to make him your future starting PG and Wemby waiting for a buddy to play or improve with...

And I value and care more about Wemby's career and development (every year of Vic's career should be sanctified, worshipped and glorified...). Topic is not a franchise player, is it worth losing on year waiting for him while you have victor on your team? Not like Topic was a no brainer of a pick and a surefire future star either.

I keep saying that Topic isn't much different than Tre Jones. And I mean it. Topic may be faster, he may have some better vision, but their skill set is practically the same and Jones is the better defender.

When I'm looking at candidates I'm looking at categories of skills and what they do. I don't know that Topic changes much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft this guy and next year would have to draft like he doesn’t exist because they won’t know if he’ll ever be a player. Gives me a headache just thinking about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft this guy and next year would have to draft like he doesn’t exist because they won’t know if he’ll ever be a player. Gives me a headache just thinking about it.
    That can be said about every player in this draft, and damn near every player in every draft.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic is the perfect pick if the spurs want to tank another year for a top pick in 25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Topic has that “it” that true pure point guards have, the passing, the court vision, the processing speed, and he has some size, but otherwise his basketball skills are limited and his athleticism is poor. He has succeeded against minus compe ion. His sample size against better compe ion is minuscule but wasn’t great.

It also appears that his agent has been heavily manipulating the situation to hide his red flags and flaws, which is in and of itself a red flag.

I understand what the appeal is, on paper at least (pure point guard with size), but nothing about Topic gives me a good feeling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His agent is a famous one with lots of clients.
    Of course he's gonna downplay the significance of the injuries and whatnot, but I wouldn't categorize that as a red flag when deciding whether to draft him or not.

Topic's father is a former player, pretty well known.
    That in itself could be a green flag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Topic has that “it” that true pure point guards have, the passing, the court vision, the processing speed, and he has some size, but otherwise his basketball skills are limited and his athleticism is poor. He has succeeded against minus compe ion. His sample size against better compe ion is minuscule but wasn’t great.

It also appears that his agent has been heavily manipulating the situation to hide his red flags and flaws, which is in and of itself a red flag.

I understand what the appeal is, on paper at least (pure point guard with size), but nothing about Topic gives me a good feeling.
    There’s a saying common among pro players and coaches that only God makes PGs, and he’s made one here. Those things you posted that I bolded cannot be taught. NBA teams have been trying for decades to convert short SGs to PGs, and it fails every time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That can be said about every player in this draft, and damn near every player in every draft.
    True enough, but if you draft a healthy player at least you have the ability to get some in game evaluation during the year. Topic will still be a complete mystery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And I value and care more about Wemby's career and development (every year of Vic's career should be sanctified, worshipped and glorified...). Topic is not a franchise player, is it worth losing on year waiting for him while you have victor on your team? Not like Topic was a no brainer of a pick and a surefire future star either. If he busts, after a year out, that makes the pick even more damaging. and you still don't have your future PG.

The kid is 18. And it’s not as if he starts if he’s healthy. I’m sure Pop would have Tre still start until the position is taken from him. I’d be okay to put Topić in a sideline for a year, IF he has that “it” of becoming the future starting PG. I have a feeling Topić will be another Sengun that teams would pass up on. And Spurs should scoop him at 8th if he’s available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His point was you would have to draft next year without having one year to evaluate Topic and how it could impact your 2025 choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd be a cool story arc if Topic went from the guy the Spurs had hoped to get with a top pick to the second player they get, at 8, after seeing his stock drop. I still like the guy-- he's still the player that dominated everyone his own age a year ago at the U18 and ANGT tournaments, gets into the paint at will, and is a savant passer-- and I think some of the "backlash" is a bit exaggerated. I didn't buy the 7' wingspan story early on after watching tape, so for me the disappointing measurement doesn't weigh much. If he'd been 6'4" with a 6'5" wingspan the whole time, I don't think anyone would've batted an eye, so now that he's 6'6" with a 6'5.5" wingspan he's still to me a PG with perfectly fine size.

Just in terms of storylines, it has been interesting to watch him go from early darling of the draft to later villain, though I think almost all of the criticisms have to go to his agent rather than to him as a teenaged prospect. I'd be totally happy if he kills it in the G League for a few months while the Spurs develop their #4 guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m likely in the minority but based on the highlights I saw (admittedly not much) I don’t see some kind of passing wizard. Most of the stuff are basic drive and kicks.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m likely in the minority but based on the highlights I saw (admittedly not much) I don’t see some kind of passing wizard. Most of the stuff are basic drive and kicks.
    Agreed. I watched more than an hour’s worth of his supposed highlights and saw nothing but pedestrian ass basketball from him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’ll be the pick at 8. The RC wing of the Spurs FO wont be able to help themselves. At 8, I wouldn’t mind it honestly but not at 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. It's the same stuff Reed and Rob are doing. They're good passes, but nothing a level above them.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Have a strong feeling he’s gonna end up a spur! Don’t be sad, it’s coming soon!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. It's the same stuff Reed and Rob are doing. They're good passes, but nothing a level above them.
    LeBowen posted these numbers in the Reed Sheppard thread:

Shots at the Rim for each

Collier 154 (in 27 games)

Castle 149 (34 games)
    Topic 121 (in 12 games)
    Dillingham 113 (in 34 games)
    Sheppard 60 (in 33 games)

If you extrapolate Topic's shots at the rim out to 34 games, that would be 343-- which would be roughly equivalent to the combined totals of Dillingham + Sheppard + Collier. I think that's what potentially makes Topic an offensive weapon, and the assists would come from constantly drawing the defense in away from shooters.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBowen posted these numbers in the Reed Sheppard thread:

Shots at the Rim for each

Collier 154 (in 27 games)

Castle 149 (34 games)
    Topic 121 (in 12 games)
    Dillingham 113 (in 34 games)
    Sheppard 60 (in 33 games)

If you extrapolate Topic's shots at the rim out to 34 games, that would be 343-- which would be roughly equivalent to the combined totals of Dillingham + Sheppard + Collier. I think that's what potentially makes Topic an offensive weapon, and the assists would come from constantly drawing the defense in away from shooters.
    Topic definitely has the best touch around the rim, but ABA league isn't much better than NCAA.
    Without reliable mid-range pull up, he wouldn't be a threat in the NBA.

The only way I could see Topic being picked is with that NOLA #21 they're rumored to trade for second rounders.
    Move up a bit with #21 and #35 and have Topic redshirt the season.
    But then again, we get at least two more picks next year, it's way too many rookies.

Topic at #8 would be a disaster, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guard who's main offense is driving to the basket...that has bad knees?

Uh...this is a no-brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic definitely has the best touch around the rim, but ABA league isn't much better than NCAA.
    Without reliable mid-range pull up, he wouldn't be a threat in the NBA.
    I don't get this analogy. If the ABA is even a hair better than the NCAA, why would a 17/18 year old's results be somehow null & void there, while an 18 year old's results in the NCAA aren't?
    I think Topic never showed a mid-range there because he didn't need it, as he was attacking the rim with extraordinary success and leading his team in assists. I don't see why some would completely dismiss the idea of a player with great touch and a great FT% eventually showing a mid-range, but at the same time feel relatively confident that Castle or Buzelis or Holland might eventually develop a 3 pt shot. Strictly from a betting position, I'd say Topic's chances are better.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 1 Week Ago at 12:56 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get this analogy. If the ABA is even a hair better than the NCAA, why would a 17/18 year old's results be somehow null & void there, while an 18 year old's results in the NCAA aren't?
    His results aren't null and void, but there's a huge gap between ABA and Euroleague.
    Weaker European leagues are all about high IQ players that play the right way, but most of them have no athleticism whatsoever and are stuck on that level because of it.
    Because of that, rim protection isn't great. There's no denying that Topic has a great touch, but if you look at any of his videos, most of the layups he gets are a joke.
    I'd say that team defense is definitely better in ABA than NCAA, but NCAA has way more actual rim protectors you need to finish over.

I think Topic never showed a mid-range there because he didn't need it, as he was attacking the rim with extraordinary success. I don't get why some would completely dismiss the idea of a player with great touch and a great FT% eventually showing a mid-range,
    Fair point.
    I actually think he'll be a way better shooter in his rookie year after he redshirts his actual rookie year.
    Kind of how DJ took a massive leap after tearing his ACL.

but at the same time feel relatively confident that Castle or Buzelis or Holland might eventually develop a 3 pt shot. Strictly from a betting position, I'd say Topic's chances are better.
    I'm probably the biggest Ignite hater in here, I don't want either of those two.
    I'm not confident in Castle's shot, but he looks like a sure thing on defense and has everything else except shooting on at least a solid level.
    Topic would have to develop both his shot and defense, while having huge red flag because of his knee.

As I said a few times, it should be Risacher/Castle/Sheppard at #4 and then a high upside swing at #8. I'd rather have Dillingham than Topic, but if PATFO is really impressed with this kid, I hope they're right.
    It's just that a redshirt rookie doesn't fit with at least two more FRPs next year. Especially since we need all the help we can get right now.

Thread Information