Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing Chip England is showing more this year than last.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing Chip England is showing more this year than last.
    Jeremy Sochan came in this year with a more improved three point shot than any player I can think of. He got benched because Spurfan is mad that he isn't Chris Paul.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know. I thought, though, that modern defenses had sort of a dual focus around the rim and also the 3-point line, and tried to force offenses to take midrange shots. It doesn’t look like the Spurs try to do that. So either Pop is stuck playing 2010-style defense, or he has them playing a flawed scheme on purpose, or they are trying to play correct defense but are just terrible at it.

None of those reflect well on the coaching. The first means the game has passed him by, the second means he is actively teaching players wrong things and ruining their minds, and the third means his coaching is a complete failure.
    Rim first, then corner 3, then above the break 3.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accepting this as a rule, what does a guard cheating down 8 feet toward the paint accomplish? They aren't blocking the shot. They aren't even challenging the shot. They could theoretically get a deflection or a steal, but usually two of the three guys cheating down aren't even in reach of the ball.

If allowing teams to shoot undefended three pointers were an effective way to limit rim attempts, everyone would be succeeding with the Spurs' strategy, including the Spurs.
    IND limits the most wide open 3 though and they are the new candidate for worst defense in NBA history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12 Minutes Ago
    Tanking is so stupid because there is no player in this upcoming draft that is going to help this team. There are some decent potential roll players or potential borderline all-stars but you don't tank for that. Having said that I still don't believe that they are tanking, it's just the coaching has realy been that bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot to mention that there is only so much a top tier compe ive player like Wemby will take and become disgruntled, I'll hate it but I wouldn't blame Wemby one bit if he wants out some time down the line.

Sadly ,I think there are some sniffers here that would choose Pop over Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot to mention that there is only so much a top tier compe ive player like Wemby will take and become disgruntled, I'll hate it but I wouldn't blame Wemby one bit if he wants out some time down the line.

Sadly ,I think there are some sniffers here that would choose Pop over Wemby.
    When everyone was ting on Leonard(and it's their right), they were praising Murray. I said, "Don't blame him when he wants out too". Now look at it years later. There is a common denominator in all of this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremy Sochan came in this year with a more improved three point shot than any player I can think of. He got benched because Spurfan is mad that he isn't Chris Paul.
    lol wut. He still shoots like a catapult and his % is already regressing toward the mean

And lmao thinking pop ended the point guard trainwreck experiment because fans were mad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol wut. He still shoots like a catapult and his % is already regressing toward the mean

And lmao thinking pop ended the point guard trainwreck experiment because fans were mad
    Sochan still has that hitch in his shooting motion that takes the legs out of the shot. I remember seeing that in a video of him practicing free throws in the offseason and was told “tHaTs On PuRpOsE iTs HoW u LeArN tO sHoOt.”

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lol, his regressing to the mean coincidentally started after he was benched.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just hope that they try Sochan at point again later. I want to watch the local Naismith Society melt down again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, his regressing to the mean coincidentally started after he was benched.
    he has come off the bench exactly one time this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just hope that they try Sochan at point again later. I want to watch the local Naismith Society melt down again.
    I'm hoping for the same thing (and for kind of the same reasons ).

He's been thrown to the waters, he's drowned and swam alright. Now a quieter period, and then another prove-it stint, maybe after the ASB. See what he's picked up and what hasn't stuck, after he's been in a more comfortable environment.

The "pissing people off" is merely a bonus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched like 30 games last season and didn't see nearly this bad of closing out when Poeltl was anchoring. Wtf is their problem?
    this is the real mystery to me and it needs to be discussed more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is the real mystery to me and it needs to be discussed more.
    Maybe the objective, besides losing, is to keep Victor out of foul trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have taken the youngest team in the NBA, made them a year older and more experienced, added a generational-talent seven footer and...gotten worse than they were last season.

What a year.

I guess everyone is ready for another lottery pick, so why rock the boat? Because that boat will he in Seattle in five years or Victor will take his talents to anywhere but South Texas.

How to salvage the season? Easy. This assumes someone tells the Spurs to stop freezing out the best player on the team. Doesn't matter who plays point guard. Doesn't matter who starts. If the Spurs do these things they will find themselves with a chance to win nearly every game.

1. Draw fouls
    The Spurs lead the league in pump fakes and acrobatic moves under the basket that rim out. They need to be told to stop avoiding contact. Go up strong. Go into defenders and get whistles. Go for dunks.

2. Sprint back on defense
    Every possession somebody goes for a steal in the backcourt or pesters the dribbler. Dozens of times nobody picks up the man with the ball on the break. The Spurs need to get into their court and get set up early. NBA basketball is all about finding a soft spot in the defense. Eliminate that one.

3. Defend the three point line
    Defend it to a fault. Giving up 20 dunks in the paint is better than giving up 14 three pointers. Don't double, don't sag, don't leave your man if he's at the perimeter. You have the best shot blocker in the league down in the paint. He doesn't need your help. Let teams take their chances. No open jumpers.
    Even if you only do #3 it would bring the wins way up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has come off the bench exactly one time this season
    So since then. . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who are the Spurs tanking for in this supposedly weak draft class?

I just think this team sucks ass and people are trying to justify the decisions of the front office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm hoping for the same thing (and for kind of the same reasons ).

He's been thrown to the waters, he's drowned and swam alright. Now a quieter period, and then another prove-it stint, maybe after the ASB. See what he's picked up and what hasn't stuck, after he's been in a more comfortable environment.

The "pissing people off" is merely a bonus
    With how they are using Sidy in Austin it is obvious what the ideal they are looking for is. They have a quarter season worth of NBA film to develop off of. The writing is more or less on the wall for another stretch down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who are the Spurs tanking for in this supposedly weak draft class?

I just think this team sucks ass and people are trying to justify the decisions of the front office.
    I don't think they are tanking or trying to win. I think they are trying to develop players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So since then. . . .
    if the act of coming off the bench for one game and then resuming a starting role is enough to completely throw off your 3pt shot then you arent built for the nba

i think its more likely that sochan still having the same hitch in his catapult shooting motion didnt magically become a high end 3pt shooter and we simply had an insufficient sample size

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the act of coming off the bench for one game and then resuming a starting role is enough to completely throw off your 3pt shot then you arent built for the nba

i think its more likely that sochan still having the same hitch in his catapult shooting motion didnt magically become a high end 3pt shooter and we simply had an insufficient sample size
    How about changing position and role? Thanks for your input on his shooting motion. Your incredulity is noted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about changing position and role? Thanks for your input on his shooting motion. Your incredulity is noted.
    im not talking about how well he is playing relative to roles. im talking about his ability to shoot the ball from beyond the arc. if you want to argue that the average quality of shot has dropped in his time as a PF compared to PG, i'd welcome some data or argument for it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im not talking about how well he is playing relative to roles. im talking about his ability to shoot the ball from beyond the arc. if you want to argue that the average quality of shot has dropped in his time as a PF compared to PG, i'd welcome some data or argument for it
    Of course you are not. You apparently predicted that his shooting motion would doom him to failure and are intent on dying on that cross.

What you are not considering is how a PG gets his shots and from where versus how a PF does it. Not to mention the issue the change must've had on things for the entire team.

Have we seen similar poor shooting performances from other players on the team?

But hey you have fun playing shot doctor from your desk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still gets the wide-open shots where defenders give him all the time in the world to bend his legs, bolt up straight like he received an electric shock, and fling a line drive with his arms that caroms off the backboard.

Thread Information