Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying get rid of high quality players like Branham. I would suggest maybe not draft any more development project and try to draft players like Jalen Williams who are not only ready to help but practically all stars out of the gate. I guess I think Spurs need to stop going for these really young really raw prospects like Wesley and Primo most of all and in general I prefer the known to the unknown. Did you know Cam just scored 30 in the playoffs against Denver just this year? That sounds like an infinitely more useful player to me than Wesley to be honest. There’s probably a 90% chance he never scores 30 points in a playoff game his entire life. And a guy like bullock could easily have a bounce back year with 40%+ three point shooting. He just turned 32. That’s actually in the prime not over it. People are so age-ist against basketball players. It’s at the point where you are over the hill after 25 which is ridiculous.
    Athletic prime is 27. You lose physical ability and athleticism from that point.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athletic prime is 27. You lose physical ability and athleticism from that point.
    iirc the average player's prime is around 29 or 30 because the two extra years of experience more than offsets the slight loss in athleticism. 32 is definitely on the downslope though.

Believe.
    Post Count
    iirc the average player's prime is around 29 or 30 because the two extra years of experience more than offsets the slight loss in athleticism. 32 is definitely on the downslope though.
    But it also depends on the specific player and his role. Some players peek at different rates and if you are just a three point shooter like bullock you can manage a longer prime than a player dependent on his athletic gifts. Also miles on the tread is a real thing.

I would say of the players we have recently acquired, maybe cam is the most dependent on his athleticism, and you know he is 28, probably right at the peek of his prime actually. Cedi Osman is 28 too incidentally.

The funny thing is that all of these expiring guys that Spurs picked up have quite a bit of playoff experience. So we are talking about nba players in their prime range with lots of playoff experience. Sounds like exactly who you want to put around your future GOAT.
    Last edited by sfernald; 07-28-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep cam who has finals experience and drop Wesley instead. We don’t have time to develop raw prospects any more. We need to support Wemby with the best players possible from this seasons starting game on and just keep swapping for even better players as we can.
    I could see cutting Wesley and then signing him to a 2 way because it’s almost a given no one will pick him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying get rid of high quality players like Branham. I would suggest maybe not draft any more development project and try to draft players like Jalen Williams who are not only ready to help but practically all stars out of the gate. I guess I think Spurs need to stop going for these really young really raw prospects like Wesley and Primo most of all and in general I prefer the known to the unknown. Did you know Cam just scored 30 in the playoffs against Denver just this year? That sounds like an infinitely more useful player to me than Wesley to be honest. There’s probably a 90% chance he never scores 30 points in a playoff game his entire life. And a guy like bullock could easily have a bounce back year with 40%+ three point shooting. He just turned 32. That’s actually in the prime not over it. People are so age-ist against basketball players. It’s at the point where you are over the hill after 25 which is ridiculous.
    The Spurs should only draft instant All Stars. Got it. Why didn't they think of this before?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should only draft instant All Stars. Got it. Why didn't they think of this before?

Believe.
    Post Count
    You know what I’m saying. Don’t draft obviously raw teenagers any more. No Primo. No Wesley. No Dieng. Etc… draft guys that look like they can help immediately.

Kris Murray over GG Jackson for example.

Believe.
    Post Count
    That would be really nice, or probably more realistically, trade those picks for sure things, nba vets. Put enough of them together and maybe get actual all stars even.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope this team is going to win or loose based on there homegrown talent ie. Draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're just bitter you didn't think of it first.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So should Sidy stay in the G League most of his first year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what I’m saying. Don’t draft obviously raw teenagers any more. No Primo. No Wesley. No Dieng. Etc… draft guys that look like they can help immediately.

I hear you. Try not to draft guys who have "potential" more than skill, but are sometimes 2 years away from being two years away. Spurs did that with Luka who's on like his fourth team. Potential is a powerful lure to NBA teams but sometimes it just doesn't pan out for what ever reason. Some teams learn that lesson, some don't.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So should Sidy stay in the G League most of his first year?
    That would seem to be a sound strategy. He needs to be getting up at least 500 shots a day and tightening up his handles. At this point I would say he is a long shot to ever play a significant role if he could become an average shooter he could be a nice rotation piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree. There is definitely a pathway for Sidy to become a rotation player sooner than later. The coaches were raving about him during summer league and he has shown a lot more than someone like KBD in all the three years he was here. Sidy’s floor is KBD, IMO. And by floor, I don’t really mean they are similar in any way. I mean production-wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is just pure idiocy. It's hard to even comprehend how you process what the draft is, what these players are, or why. The Spurs drafted two players at 20 and 25 last year. One might become an incredible scorer, the other may never pan out. You want to draft neither of them.

It's just some of the stupidest , I've got to admit. You're like, "Hey, let's not use that #25 pick at all." Let's not draft Tony Parker. Let's not draft Keldon Johnson. Let's only draft #1 picks.

Jesus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There is a place for drafting high-floor, low-ceiling players. But you won’t score many runs if you can only hit singles.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree. There is definitely a pathway for Sidy to become a rotation player sooner than later. The coaches were raving about him during summer league and he has shown a lot more than someone like KBD in all the three years he was here. Sidy’s floor is KBD, IMO. And by floor, I don’t really mean they are similar in any way. I mean production-wise.
    I am not to sure on this I think he really needs another year in the G League as he is the youngest Spurs player that should not be a issue. He has a lot to work on and think he will be the main focus on that team meaning they are going to force him outside of his comfort zone and be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball. With his last team he definitely took a back seat to Scoot Henderson, and Leonard Miller, which is good for team ball but not necessarily for his growth.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sidy will be with the mothership to start the season so they and we will know pretty quickly how/if he fits in with the team. I imagine he'll get some early playing time in the experiment phase then join the Toros when they start camp to develop whatever the staff saw when he worked with the main squad. As stated it's going to be pretty nice for him to be a focus of development in the G-League instead of a supporting player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's room in the league for players who can't score. I mean, this board is inundated with requests to get Ben Simmons all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not to sure on this I think he really needs another year in the G League as he is the youngest Spurs player that should not be a issue. He has a lot to work on and think he will be the main focus on that team meaning they are going to force him outside of his comfort zone and be more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball. With his last team he definitely took a back seat to Scoot Henderson, and Leonard Miller, which is good for team ball but not necessarily for his growth.
    I was responding to the “he won’t ever play a significant role on the team”. He will for sure spend time in the Gleague. I don’t disagree that he has a lot to work on. My point is that he has attributes that players in the past who did make the team, like KBD, didn’t have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs signing him on a 3 years, very early at this stage of his career, is a great sign they saw something real good on Sidy. I’m confident Sidy was the target at 44 and not Rupert. As I said I trust the Spurs scouting than anybody on this board.

Boris Diaw. Him coming to the Spurs opened a lot to Pop. If I may, the Beautiful Game would have not been possible without Boris. Looking at prospects, I can’t help to say Pop is always looking for a Diaw on a big man, someone who has great bball IQ, can push and facilitate, secondary passes. Mamu, Sidy both have the potential. Bassey also.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs signing him on a 3 years, very early at this stage of his career, is a great sign they saw something real good on Sidy. I’m confident Sidy was the target at 44 and not Rupert. As I said I trust the Spurs scouting than anybody on this board.

Boris Diaw. Him coming to the Spurs opened a lot to Pop. If I may, the Beautiful Game would have not been possible without Boris. Looking at prospects, I can’t help to say Pop is always looking for a Diaw on a big man, someone who has great bball IQ, can push and facilitate, secondary passes. Mamu, Sidy both have the potential. Bassey also.
    Huge guard that can bulldoze his way to a two-man game with Wemby.

It could be unguardable!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's room in the league for players who can't score. I mean, this board is inundated with requests to get Ben Simmons all the time.
    Not being able to shoot is mitigated when you are the primary on-ball guy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the post on him recently have been about the assets that come with him. it is not for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the post on him recently have been about the assets that come with him. it is not for him.
    Ehhh. A lot of people think he can 'turn it around' somehow.

Thread Information