Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m saying best players should be put around Wemby. We don’t need to surround him with rooks and prospects. Just good nba players.

Most of our guys under 23 have also proven they are very good players, ie Keldon, Vassell, Sochan and even Branham. Those guys might be young but can contribute. I’m saying drop all the prospect type players and replace them with the best vets available as we go. So keep Bullock and Cam and drop guys like Wesley and Barlow. And then replace Bullock and Cam with someone better as soon as the trade becomes available. That’s what I hope they do.

My preference is that there is never anyone younger than Wemby on the team again. And every year they retool around what Wemby needs to field the best championship contender possible, starting this year (which I will admit we don’t quite know what he needs around him yet).
    No sense in cutting a developing player for a guy who won't be here by the end of the season. You're on the wrong timeline.

Believe.
    Post Count
    No sense in cutting a developing player for a guy who won't be here by the end of the season. You're on the wrong timeline.
    Let some other team that doesn't have the GOAT on their team develop him and we will get him later if he's any good. With Wemby age doesn't matter, get the absolute best players you can regardless of age. Why waste one year of him? He might be gone in just 8-9 years if we this up. Look at how bad Portland ed up with Lillard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of the expiring players has been announced in any fashion, no press conference, no nothing, despite being in the fold for some time now. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but we'll see.

About as official of announcement as it gets these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

About as official of announcement as it gets these days.
    Thanks. They didn't even bother to photoshop Spurs gear on them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No intros from Brian. I agree on Wesley he needs to be downgraded to a 2way but letting Barlow go would be a huge mistake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow all these talks about who Spurs are going to cut, and not about Cissoko signing. 3 years. Cidy really impressed and very well be Spurs target at 44.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m saying best players should be put around Wemby. We don’t need to surround him with rooks and prospects. Just good nba players.

Most of our guys under 23 have also proven they are very good players, ie Keldon, Vassell, Sochan and even Branham. Those guys might be young but can contribute. I’m saying drop all the prospect type players and replace them with the best vets available as we go. So keep Bullock and Cam and drop guys like Wesley and Barlow. And then replace Bullock and Cam with someone better as soon as the trade becomes available. That’s what I hope they do.

My preference is that there is never anyone younger than Wemby on the team again. And every year they retool around what Wemby needs to field the best championship contender possible, starting this year (which I will admit we don’t quite know what he needs around him yet).
    So your plan is to get rid of players that have potential and have vets that are of marginal improvements, then upgrade on those vets? How do you upgrade? Bullock and Cam just got traded for pretty much negative value to the spurs. The spurs will trade them for better players?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So, just give away all of our draft picks then? Because each and every one will be younger than Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’m really glad the spurs didn’t do this with Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m really glad the spurs didn’t do this with Duncan
    True but Duncan initially stepped into a situation with vets first then came our picks that turned into HOF's. I like our core rn and they can grow with Wemby while plugging in pieces yr after yr whether vets or draftees.

Believe.
    Post Count
    So, just give away all of our draft picks then? Because each and every one will be younger than Wemby.
    Not give them away. But rather use them preciously along with our other tricks (cap space, expiring, etc) to acquire underrated vets we can surround around Wemby.
    Last edited by sfernald; 07-28-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    So your plan is to get rid of players that have potential and have vets that are of marginal improvements, then upgrade on those vets? How do you upgrade? Bullock and Cam just got traded for pretty much negative value to the spurs. The spurs will trade them for better players?
    Upgrade on the vets with the picks used preciously, use of cap space and just generally getting on the better side of the deal. When a great vet comes up at an under market price they need to jump on it if they think he’ll work well with Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not give them away. But rather use them preciously along with our other off season tricks to acquire underrated vets we can surround around Wemby.
    Young players on rookie contracts are cheap, and they are under control for 5 years, and usually effective after 1 year. That's why everyone, except you, wants them. You can put a better team together with young players than with vets, basically because you can pay 3 FRPs with the mid level exception, but one vet will take that entire amount.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Young players on rookie contracts are cheap, and they are under control for 5 years, and usually effective after 1 year. That's why everyone, except you, wants them. You can put a better team together with young players than with vets, basically because you can pay 3 FRPs with the mid level exception, but one vet will take that entire amount.
    Better to do what Phoenix just did and get actual nba rotation players for vet min. Let other teams be the development teams for the league. Everyone will want to play with Wemby and a shot to be under the bright lights! Spurs + Pop + Wemby will be like Jordan Bulls or LeBron lakers in terms of desirability of team.
    Last edited by sfernald; 07-28-2023 at 10:20 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better to do what Phoenix just did and get actual nba rotation players for vet min. Let other teams be the development teams for the league. Everyone will want to play with Wemby and a shot to be under the bright lights! Spurs + Pop + Wemby will be like Jordan Bulls or LeBron lakers in terms of desirability of team.
    1) Have you seen Phoenix's payroll?
    2) No one comes here. In Tim's whole HOF career of 19 years, we got one major FA, LaMarcus Aldridge, and he was unhappy. DeMar Derozan was a multi All NBA and Multi All Star before he was traded here. He was neither in 3 seasons here, in spite of putting up some pretty great numbers. In two years in chicago, he has 2 more AS berths and another All NBA team. Players notice this kind of . SA is where notoriety goes to die.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Upgrade on the vets with the picks used preciously, use of cap space and just generally getting on the better side of the deal. When a great vet comes up at an under market price they need to jump on it if they think he’ll work well with Wemby.
    Like how the Knicks do it?

EDIT: You actually like how Phoenix does it? Phoenix is millions over the cap with little to show for it, and their future is entirely mortgaged. When the new cap rules came in, Phoenix was the first people people think because of how messed up their situation is.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Like how the Knicks do it?

EDIT: You actually like how Phoenix does it? Phoenix is millions over the cap with little to show for it, and their future is entirely mortgaged. When the new cap rules came in, Phoenix was the first people people think because of how messed up their situation is.
    I like the way Phoenix managed to get a decent bench with nothing but minimums. I don't like the idea of wasting our whole cap on three stars. I like the idea of surrounding Wemby with the best role players possible that fit him and then filling the rest with the best rotation players available as cheaply as possible. I actually think players like Bullock or Osman or Payne may in fact be great fits around him and play much better with him than Branham or Wesley.

Believe.
    Post Count
    1) Have you seen Phoenix's payroll?
    2) No one comes here. In Tim's whole HOF career of 19 years, we got one major FA, LaMarcus Aldridge, and he was unhappy. DeMar Derozan was a multi All NBA and Multi All Star before he was traded here. He was neither in 3 seasons here, in spite of putting up some pretty great numbers. In two years in chicago, he has 2 more AS berths and another All NBA team. Players notice this kind of . SA is where notoriety goes to die.
    1. Sure, I hate their payroll and the idea of using all our cap on three players. I would rather see a balanced team built around Wemby.

2. We need to change that, change the perception. Make SA cool again.. MSAGA!@ Wemby might be able to do it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the way Phoenix managed to get a decent bench with nothing but minimums. I don't like the idea of wasting our whole cap on three stars. I like the idea of surrounding Wemby with the best role players possible that fit him and then filling the rest with the best rotation players available as cheaply as possible. I actually think players like Bullock or Osman or Payne may in fact be great fits around him and play much better with him than Branham or Wesley.
    Cleveland did what you propose when LeBron was drafted, surrounded him with vets. They won nothing. When he came back, he was surrounded by young players from their rebuild, never really expecting him to return, and they won a le and made several finals appearances.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Cleveland did what you propose when LeBron was drafted, surrounded him with vets. They won nothing. When he came back, he was surrounded by young players from their rebuild, never really expecting him to return, and they won a le and made several finals appearances.
    are you joking? What raw prospects were on that team? That was the year they traded Wiggins (the first pick in the draft) for Kevin love cause they thought he was too raw! That’s a crazy example to pick..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you joking? What raw prospects were on that team? That was the year they traded Wiggins (the first pick in the draft) for Kevin love cause they thought he was too raw! That’s a crazy example to pick..
    Kyrie, Joe Harris, Dellavadova, Mozgov, Shumpert, Tristan Thompson. I never said raw prospects, I said young players.

They traded Wiggins because LeBron told them to. It wasn't because of an aversion to development. LeBron wanted KLove, and he got him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad the FO is more measured than that crazed, fanciful ideas that the fanbase often originates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess this is something we just have to agree to disagree. I am concerned about the progress of Wesley, but Branham has shown great promise. Bullock is over his prime, which was never that high to begin with. Osman is average on offence and pretty bad defensively. I really like Payne but he is another Tre Jones, I just can't see how those three can be better fits than Branham, and none of them has the upside of Branham, either. These players can be have for 2nd round picks (which the Spurs have buckets of) at any time, so I don't see a reason to dump players with potential for them at this moment. If Branham or Wesley doesn't pan out, we can then dump them and trade for similar players at any time. At this point, both of them seem to have some type of progress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What we need is the return to The Beautiful Game. I think we are headed that way and we are trying to do it with height. Best way to implement that is to grow it in-house with new players who are selfless and are "over themselves".

It's harder to do with vets and if we have laser focus on it, we will be the next dynasty. But dynasties are built, not lucked into.

That's what I think the long term vision for the team is focused upon.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I guess this is something we just have to agree to disagree. I am concerned about the progress of Wesley, but Branham has shown great promise. Bullock is over his prime, which was never that high to begin with. Osman is average on offence and pretty bad defensively. I really like Payne but he is another Tre Jones, I just can't see how those three can be better fits than Branham, and none of them has the upside of Branham, either. These players can be have for 2nd round picks (which the Spurs have buckets of) at any time, so I don't see a reason to dump players with potential for them at this moment. If Branham or Wesley doesn't pan out, we can then dump them and trade for similar players at any time. At this point, both of them seem to have some type of progress.
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying get rid of high quality players like Branham. I would suggest maybe not draft any more development project and try to draft players like Jalen Williams who are not only ready to help but practically all stars out of the gate. I guess I think Spurs need to stop going for these really young really raw prospects like Wesley and Primo most of all and in general I prefer the known to the unknown. Did you know Cam just scored 30 in the playoffs against Denver just this year? That sounds like an infinitely more useful player to me than Wesley to be honest. There’s probably a 90% chance he never scores 30 points in a playoff game his entire life. And a guy like bullock could easily have a bounce back year with 40%+ three point shooting. He just turned 32. That’s actually in the prime not over it. People are so age-ist against basketball players. It’s at the point where you are over the hill after 25 which is ridiculous.

Thread Information