Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the US did it, I'm actually onboard. That was the one big piece of leverage Russia had on Europe, so taking it away looks like the right decision in hindsight...
    ElTerroristo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so many terrorist supporters in spurstalk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, guess who is triggered that russia got ed!

comrade hater lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anytime a journalist relies on secret sources (especially uncorroborated ones -- Sy Hersh is no longer subject to editorial/ins utional control) verification is a problem. The strong conclusory language of the article demands strong evidence, which is lacking here.

That said, the inferences drawn against the USA and Norway are plausible. Who had the most to gain strategically from wrecking the pipelines? Who has materially benefited in the aftermath?

https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/...he-nord-stream
    They really need to make critical thinking skills a HS requirement. You should not have to tell people this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putler stan calling anybody else a terrorist...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They really need to make critical thinking skills a HS requirement. You should not have to tell people this.
    imho you can't make it mandatory, you have to give people space to fake it til they make it. there's no set age where education/wisdom/faculties kick in, and backsliding is a given.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very skimpy on details/sources. Diverges from earlier statements indicating a state actor.

New intelligence reviewed by U.S. officials suggests that a pro-Ukrainian group carried out the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines last year, a step toward determining responsibility for an act of sabotage that has confounded investigators on both sides of the Atlantic for months.

U.S. officials said that they had no evidence President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine or his top lieutenants were involved in the operation, or that the perpetrators were acting at the direction of any Ukrainian government officials.
    U.S. officials said there was much they did not know about the perpetrators and their affiliations. The review of newly collected intelligence suggests they were opponents of President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, but does not specify the members of the group, or who directed or paid for the operation. U.S. officials declined to disclose the nature of the intelligence, how it was obtained or any details of the strength of the evidence it contains. They have said that there are no firm conclusions about it, leaving open the possibility that the operation might have been conducted off the books by a proxy force with connections to the Ukrainian government or its security services.
    U.S. officials say they have not found any evidence of involvement by the Russian government in the attack.

Officials who have reviewed the intelligence said they believed the saboteurs were most likely Ukrainian or Russian nationals, or some combination of the two. U.S. officials said no American or British nationals were involved.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/u...?smid=tw-share

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can you summarize, in your own words?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who do you think blew up the pipeline, Darrin?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as ever, allergic to talking about his own posts or giving a take.

Darrin hides.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My own take is that the available evidence isn't conclusive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anything beyond that seems more or less polemical at this point, and that's OK. Forever will puzzle me that people can't admit that, and just give a take. For my own part, it hadn't occurred to me that Ukraine might be behind it. That inference also seems plausible, but the facts are likewise fuzzy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Russia.

One can follow the reasoning here, through some translations.
    https://twitter.com/patrikoksanen/st...539020800?s=20

1) Russia had already stopped deliveries (their decision, remember)
    2) Russia has a history of false flag attacks on its own .
    3) NS2 wasn't hit.
    4) NS1 getting wiped out allowed Russia to declare force majure on their existing contracts and get out of paying non-delivery penalties.

"if the Germans gave their thumbs up and approved NS2 (which was thus stopped due to the Russian escalation against Ukraine), which would be a political victory to pressure the West into concessions ."

They got to get out of massive penalties, punish the West, and then have a chance at strong-arming the Germans into greenlighting NS2, a chief Russian priority.

An overestimation of their position, just like the overestimation of the invasion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is not conclusive.

I would point out, though that the Russians have had submarines capable of doing stuff like this, and have used those subs to with NATO sensors on the sea floor, and have that capability to be able to cut trans-atlantic comms cables.

RUS has both the motive, and capability, just like the West.

My money would be on RUS. Low confidence guess, but I put it as slightly more likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Details still sparse, but now we have US and German intelligence pointing the finger at "Ukrainians."

German investigators believe the attack on the pipelines was carried out by a team of six people, using a yacht that had been hired by a company registered in Poland and owned by two Ukrainian citizens, according to Die Zeit.
    Six people were involved in the operation to transport explosives to the site, the yacht’s captain, two divers, two diving assistants and a doctor. All six were understood to have used professionally faked passports, said Die Zeit, with their real iden ies still unclear.
    The yacht set sail from the German port city of Rostock on 6 September. The equipment for the secret operation was previously transported to the port in a delivery truck, according to Die Zeit. After its return, investigators found traces of explosives on one of the tables inside the hired vessel.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ream-pipelines

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ukrainians blowing up Russian gas lines really is no motivation for Ukraine's allies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ukrainians blowing up Russian gas lines really is no motivation for Ukraine's allies
    one whimsical take on this I've seen is that Germany demanded political cover from the US to withdraw from the Ukraine War effort, or it would blame the US for the Nord Stream bombing and withdraw from NATO.

in any case, the current US/Germany/Denmark narrative does not seem designed to inspire confidence among the allies of Ukraine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very skimpy on details/sources. Diverges from earlier statements indicating a state actor.

Ukraine did it now appears to be the official US line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baltoconnector pipeline damaged

Damage to an undersea gas pipeline and telecommunications cable connecting Finland and Estonia appears to have been caused by “external activity,” Finnish officials said Tuesday, adding that authorities were investigating.

Finnish and Estonian gas system operators on Sunday said they noted an unusual drop in pressure in the Balticconnector pipeline after which they shut down the gas flow.

The Finnish government on Tuesday said there was damage both to the gas pipeline and to a telecommunications cable between the two NATO countries.

“According to a preliminary assessment, the observed damage could not have occurred as a result of normal use of the pipe or pressure fluctuations. It is likely that the damage is the result of external activity,” Orpo said.
    https://apnews.com/article/finland-e...b4ef1d85c70d91

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hersch got suckered.

He also got caught quoting a source that, for SOME reason, used russian idioms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hersch got suckered.

He also got caught quoting a source that, for SOME reason, used russian idioms.
    if the US/German take is correct, folks who pointed the finger at Russia were also wrong. unfortunately, spooky whispers to newspapers aren't verifiable without information that's probably classified.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would agree. Nothing conclusive. The worst actor, Russia, had both motive, and capability. Occams razor suggests that if one had to pin a culprit, it would be RUS. Blowing up a pipeline like that is fully within modus operendi of RUS, and would be uncharacteristic of other leaders/governments. UKR simply wouldn't have the capability. All very cir stantial.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I would agree. Nothing conclusive. The worst actor, Russia, had both motive, and capability. Occams razor suggests that if one had to pin a culprit, it would be RUS. Blowing up a pipeline like that is fully within modus operendi of RUS, and would be uncharacteristic of other leaders/governments. UKR simply wouldn't have the capability. All very cir stantial.
    Any country that encourages & permits it's denizens to attempt to assassinate it's sitting President at least 5 times is fully capable, dad.

Let us proceed...

Oh, and 1 more thing, RG...American Democracy, my ass.

Thread Information