My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan and third year Devin + Tre.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the box scores, Pop has stopped playing KJ and McBuckets from playing alongside each other, forcing KJ to guard the opposing 4? That should do the trick, as everyone knew last year . . .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we had DJ and signed Lavine outright, or did an Ayton/Poetl swap, we'd be competing for a top 4 seed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, Spurs would be even better with DJ. People forget that the Spurs were playing 0.500 ball after the White trade last season. As previous posters said the main reasons are that we now have 2 legit PFs in the rotation, Sochan and Roby, allowing for Keldon to play the 3, Devin to play the 2 and not having to start McDermott. Keldon and Devin made the leap and KJ losing 20 pounds has further improved his defense. Also no Lonnie Walker anymore. Spurs with DJ at PG would be a playoff team without a doubt, which was the reason why I was pissed about the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray wasn't holding us back, he just wasn't taking the team anywhere. Just a lot of talk and selfies. I'm glad he, White and Lonnie are gone. This team can finally form a new, post-nephew iden y. The stink from their is fading. It's strange to see how well they played compared to the opening night home disaster. It will be interesting to see who the real Spurs are.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Dejounte was still in San Antonio the team could be legit. Looks like that trade will age poorly. Look at how involved Sochan was on offense today. Dont you think he'd get more of those open looks with Dejounte feeding him the ball?

Vassell and KJ were trending this way for a while. To say your all-star PG would have blocked their development is a bit puzzling. He doesnt seem to be stopping Trae Young or John Collins at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team wouldn't be playing like this with DJ here...the spacing wouldn't be there...the ball movement wouldn't be there...so these guys wouldn't be developing like they are... DJ pounding the air out of the ball and playing iso as the shot clock runs down wouldn't be fun to watch either...

That's trade is going to age wonderfully..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Dejounte was still in San Antonio the team could be legit. Looks like that trade will age poorly. Look at how involved Sochan was on offense today. Dont you think he'd get more of those open looks with Dejounte feeding him the ball?

Vassell and KJ were trending this way for a while. To say your all-star PG would have blocked their development is a bit puzzling. He doesnt seem to be stopping Trae Young or John Collins at all.
    Why do just assume Murray would be giving Sochan better looks? He gets those looks due to good movement on offense, from a number of players passing him the ball. Thinking that Murray dominating the ball would result in only better looks is weird. As a relative non-shooter playing with Poeltl, Sochan wouldn't have nearly the space that he does when the guys threatening the paint are all shooting threats. Vassell and Johnson have been improving for a while, but just like Murray benefitted from DeRozan leaving, those guys benefitted from being able to control the ball more, which wasn't likely to happen with Murray in SA. In Atlanta, Murray benefits from being the second- or third-best player on any given night. Sometimes, he'll legit be the best player. There is long-term worry that he'll try to ALWAYS be the best player, but there's a much better chance that he stays within the offense on a team with an established star PG and with a successful established PF than there would've been on the Spurs with guys who are younger and less developed with him.

I think if Murray were on the team, he'd have more assists than Jones does but that the team would have the same or fewer assists than they do now. I also think the team would've been 1-3 or 2-2. We likely aren't talking about Vassell getting MIP or Sochan even being a starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree a lot with the OP. DJM I see was more about himself, the way he talks and a stat padder suspect. He’s all about himself, prove himself, growing up from the street, escaping. I’m happy he found his way in the NBA, but too much chip for me and too volatile as he will implode when cornered likeva stray dog. That squable with Pop comes to mind, and turned me off against him. I don’t think he got even a midge of what Tony got. But you didn’t see Tony not even raised an eyebrow. DJM and his passive/aggressive at ude, instagram, media craving, ball hog. His iso style would slow down the pace and allowed defender to catch up. His pouting and fake submission would confuse the young players. Spurs are better off without that punk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look what it does for you actually having two young ACTUAL power forwards ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that having 2 PFs helps the team a lot. I am not saying otherwise. But I don’t think the ball movement would be the same nor the free flowing offense where everybody moves. Our starting PG is averaging 4 assists a game and yet our assists as a team are simply amazing. DJ would take away from that. Also I don’t believe that Vassell would look this good with DJ. They are going to struggle of course and there will be times where we need iso ball dribble dribble that DJ does but man I like this team better without IB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that having 2 PFs helps the team a lot. I am not saying otherwise. But I don’t think the ball movement would be the same nor the free flowing offense where everybody moves. Our starting PG is averaging 4 assists a game and yet our assists as a team are simply amazing. DJ would take away from that. Also I don’t believe that Vassell would look this good with DJ. They are going to struggle of course and there will be times where we need iso ball dribble dribble that DJ does but man I like this team better without IB.
    Tre started 11 games last season and has 7.6 AST

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought that DJ was sort of Westbrook-ish. Nice motor, nice athleticism, got the stats, but didn't really understand the game well enough or have the decision-making ability for a point guard that really aided his teammates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought that DJ was sort of Westbrook-ish. Nice motor, nice athleticism, got the stats, but didn't really understand the game well enough or have the decision-making ability for a point guard that really aided his teammates.
    PGs aren't supposed to average triple-doubles. I'm actually becoming of the mind that no player should.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PGs aren't supposed to average triple-doubles. I'm actually becoming of the mind that no player should.
    Yeah, all it means is that one or two people aren't doing their jobs for whatever reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre being a true point guard is running the team better than Dj did. Dj was like a mini derozan his last year here, doing a bit of everything. Dj is more a shooting guard than a point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray reminds me a lot of Jamal Crawford, who was a point guard when he got drafted. Similar build and from the same area growing up. I have to give Murray credit that he developed point guard skills through hard work and practice. He was a tunnel visioned turnover machine his first couple of years. Murray still hasn’t reached his ceiling, it will be interesting to see if he reaches it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe a big-as in points, blocks and rebounds (but that isn't a reasonable triple double so it's a moot point).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone is wildly overestimating how good our team and players are after an unexpectedly hot start.
    I think our young guys will develop faster with DJM gone because they will get more opportunities.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sad that DJ is gone. We’re finally developing a true team approach. It has a ceiling without a star but I’m enjoying it for now. Yes, we need a star but it brings problems too. I guess the best way to put it is, the camaraderie and lack of stupid drama is really refreshing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magic and Oscar Robertson were among the great and happened to big PG’s. I don’t mind them having triple-doubles as long as it’s in the flow of the game. I didn’tbget to see OR, but Magic’s Showtime was my favorite as he distributed and made everybody involved. He happened to be tall so he rim-run and also scored when the situation dictated him. You never thought he was trying to pad his stats (I didn’t even think that was a big case then). But Westbrook it was obvious he was stats padding, and I suspect DJM was also. There’s something about his character, whether he was coming from a bad family or the street, that he seemed to always had a chip and wanted to prove himself. It’s just how I see him. I’m happy that he found success in the NBA, but he strikes me as someone who is for himself, not unselfish like Manu, and not even as an alpha like Tony who carried his national team to championships. No not Instagram Baller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's way too early to making these judgments after 4 games, especially considering we were destroyed from beginning to end in one and two others they almost collapsed in epic fashion in the 4th. Imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's way too early to making these judgments after 4 games, especially considering we were destroyed from beginning to end in one and two others they almost collapsed in epic fashion in the 4th. Imho
    Lol people want to act sensible when things aren’t going their way but after game 1 happened, they acted like that was all the evidence they needed. Not directed towards you specifically, just saying I’ve been noticing these types of posts.

I bet you if the Spurs lose game 5, people who said four games isn’t enough will say that five games is enough

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A way too early, post-tank modernist view of things:

Let's say come January we are in the 5th seed, and things appear far less fluky than they do now...

We're sitting on first rounders and swaps from CHA, CHI, and ATL. Could we be buyers?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet you if the Spurs lose game 5, people who said four games isn’t enough will say that five games is enough
    Not just that, they will say that the fifth game outweighs the first four.

If anything this next game should be less indicative of team strength, no matter how well or poorly the Spurs play, because it will be the first one where a key player is out.

Thread Information