Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my annual one-time thanks note to TIMVP for the excellent writeup for us out of towner Spurs fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gary neal any minutes at backup pg or pg duties....dribbles down court lookin for his own shot only...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if De Colo will eliminate most of the time Manu will spend at point guard position letting him focus on SG. I want to see long stretches of Nando and Manu out on the court together. That would be sick! We basically have an entire line up that are play makers. Nando/Manu/Diaw/Duncan/SJax or Kawhi at SF. That would be somthing to see!

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did anyone enjoy watchin curry this game...lmao the hawks player who was gettin manhandled by him, which i thought a fight nearly break out cause he was being whipped around the floor by curry
    This right here! That was FANTASTIC!!! I was having a blast waching Johnson and Curry go at it! The only problem I had with it is that it looked like Johnson got in Curry's head and his game went downhill from there. If Curry can find his happy place when matched up against someone that is pissing him off, his anger will transfer to the stat sheet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the writeup, it's always great stuff. I feel a lot better prepared for the game on Friday. The Curry and Powell situation is intriguing. How do you let either of them go at this point? Someone is going somewhere with only one spot left to fill. Is Corey to Austin the most likely scenario for keeping them both? Time will tell....

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corey to Austin doesn't open a roster spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corey to Austin doesn't open a roster spot.
    Yeah, thanks. How do we go about holding on to Curry and Powell?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, thanks. How do we go about holding on to Curry and Powell?
    They dump Bonner for a pick or something. I dont care how, but this wont happen anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando/Neal combo could work well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They dump Bonner for a pick or something. I dont care how, but this wont happen anyway.
    You're allowed to dream...
    I suppose that's what it's going to come down to. Someone will have to be cut. I can't come up with anything believable if Corey to Austin doesn't open up a roster spot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Obviously, it's premature to be drawing any conclusions, but my one concern with Leonard this season was that he'd try to do too much and force the action.

- Green's confidence seems shots. I didn't think he was the type to lose confidence so easily.

- Curry needs to be kept for the time being. Powell is a more solid player, but he's also redundant. The 15th spot should be reserved for a true center or at the very least a small/combo forward.

- If Green doesn't snap out of his funk, then Neal could actually see more time at SG than expected. They could start Ginobili, slide Neal to back to SG and make Mills the backup PG.

- I agree that Splitter appears to be even weaker than before. In today's game, he's a center by default. But like Noah has in Boozer, he needs a power forward next to him who's capable of guarding some of the stronger centers.

- If Blair has just relatively reliable range out to 20, then he can absolutely play with Splitter.

- Interesting thought about Splitter. It's unlikely, but I wonder if his spot in the rotation be in jeopardy to start the season and I'm wondering more and more if this is someone they're willing to pay at least $6M annually for on a long term contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Interesting thought about Splitter. It's unlikely, but I wonder if his spot in the rotation be in jeopardy to start the season and I'm wondering more and more if this is someone they're willing to pay at least $6M annually for on a long term contract.
    if asik the scrub could get a pay rise, i see splitter why not in todays market

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if asik the scrub could get a pay rise, i see splitter why not in todays market
    Roughly $8.3M on average, for 3 years, to a young 7-footer, who's already an elite defender/rebounder, isn't that bad. It's definitely steep, but I wouldn't term it a horrible contract. If he stays healthy, there's a good chance he becomes one of the elite defensive anchors over the next decade.

Splitter isn't an elite defender or rebounder, but he's more skilled and well rounded, so he should be able to command roughly the same. But if he really wants to stay (and I think he will), he's probably going to have to accept about $6M annually. It's not so much that they can't afford to pay him more, so much as it is about principal. If Duncan is going to be at $10M and Ginobili at $8M, then it wouldn't seem right to be paying Splitter $8M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've like a lot of things Cory Joseph did in this game. He wasn't playing well and he is likely not ready to contribute this year but he shows a lot of qualities. Joseph hasn't earned points to be in the rotation with that game but he has earned points to have his option picked for next year.

The big drawback on De Colo game was that he really struggles against Jeff Teague. As good as De Colo passing is, he doesn't have the quickness to match up with some PGs. If Pop wants to put him at the PG spot, this lack of quickness will be a big issue. Other than that, he was great.

Powell was the best Spur yesterday. If he continues to play at that level, it will be impossible to cut him for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed... De Colo's height gives him an advantage with regards to mismatches and court vision... but all the same he's not quick enough to stay on small guards, so pairing him with a small SG/combo guard is a must.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've like a lot of things Cory Joseph did in this game. He wasn't playing well and he is likely not ready to contribute this year but he shows a lot of qualities. Joseph hasn't earned points to be in the rotation with that game but he has earned points to have his option picked for next year.

The big drawback on De Colo game was that he really struggles against Jeff Teague. As good as De Colo passing is, he doesn't have the quickness to match up with some PGs. If Pop wants to put him at the PG spot, this lack of quickness will be a big issue. Other than that, he was great.

Powell was the best Spur yesterday. If he continues to play at that level, it will be impossible to cut him for Pop.
    Do you think Pop will go with Powell instead of Curry? Is there a scenario, I'm not seeing, that would allow for both to stay? Can't see Blair or Neal being dropped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think Pop will go with Powell instead of Curry? Is there a scenario, I'm not seeing, that would allow for both to stay? Can't see Blair or Neal being dropped.
    going for powell is stupidity, we already have small bigs, let alone wingman who can play the 4 for small ball

theres the opportunity to finally add a legit big on the roster for dirt cheap, and u go sign a undersize big...fail, already have one scrub on the bench dont need another one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if Spurs don't want to pick Joseph option for 13-14 this month, they can salary dump him to a team and keep both Powell and Curry without going over the max roster size or the luxury tax threshold.

Saying that, it would makes little sense to keep both without trading away a bigman. Having 7 PF/C (Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Blair, Bonner, Powell and Curry) that are all seasoned vets is too much. Some of them will be on the roster and never play. Blair would be the easier to trade/cut but he has been playing well this training camp too. At the end, Spurs might regret not having used the amnesty exception on Bonner last July.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I agree that Powell has been playing well, if SA keeps Blair and Bonner it makes little sense to bring Powell instead of Curry. Powell is at best the 4th/5th big that comes off the bench to provide some energy. Something like he did when he played in LA. He won't be more than that.

Curry in good day can kill any player in the league in the low-post. SA has to go to the high reward player here, especially considering that Duncan and Manu only have a couple of years left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    double-post
    Last edited by elemento; 10-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if Spurs don't want to pick Joseph option for 13-14 this month, they can salary dump him to a team and keep both Powell and Curry without going over the max roster size or the luxury tax threshold.

Saying that, it would makes little sense to keep both without trading away a bigman. Having 7 PF/C (Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Blair, Bonner, Powell and Curry) that are all seasoned vets is too much. Some of them will be on the roster and never play. Blair would be the easier to trade/cut but he has been playing well this training camp too. At the end, Spurs might regret not having used the amnesty exception on Bonner last July.
    Thanks for this viewpoint. I agree that 7 bigs is unlikely. I don't think Blair is going anywhere and the amnesty ship on Bonner has sailed. Unfortunately, for Powell, the team probably needs a backup for Tim and Tiago more than a fourth 4. Sure seems like Powell has been playing strong and it will be a damn shame to see him go. I'll get to see him first hand tomorrow....look forward to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those like me who didnt watch the game thank you timvp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shouldn't the Spurs be able to quite easily salary dump Bonner, too? I mean, for his contract, he produces well and big men who can spread the floor are still in high demand (and usually earn solid contracts a la Novak, Ryan Anderson...). With Bonner making less than 4M this year and only having 1M guaranteed next year he seemingly would be fairly simple to salary dump.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 10-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno - your thoughts on Bonner's ability to be salary dumped. Don't think it is likely, but if they wanted to, your thoughts on how easy it would be?

Thread Information