View Poll Results: Who is your most favorite prospect?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sarr

18 12.77%
  • Risacher

43 30.50%
  • Sheppard

26 18.44%
  • Topic

1 0.71%
  • Buzelis

6 4.26%
  • Castle

33 23.40%
  • Knecht

3 2.13%
  • Holland

3 2.13%
  • Dillingham

7 4.96%
  • Cody Williams

1 0.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, this is tough.

If we were starting in a team building vacuum, I’d pick Sarr or Buzelis.
    Since we are not though, I’m going with Commander Sheppard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hard for me to choose one. I'm not sure who I would choose out of Sarr, Risacher, Castle or Sheppard. I chose Sarr for defensive potential next to Wemby, but really see all 4 as equal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think samanic was an awful prospect. good physical profile, solid skills to work off of. should have been picked later than he was, but oh well. think a lot of his shortcomings are due to his at ude and the mental side of things.
    For sure. Was half-joking. Samanic had a lot of natural ability to go with his 6’11 frame. Could’ve been a serviceable player with the right development. Dude just didn’t give a about basketball. Still remember the pathetic defensive effort that got him cut from the team the following day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you would draft Sheppard first if you had the first pick?
    As the Spurs’ GM, yeah. I think another team might choose to go with someone like Sarr or Risacher since it can be argued those guys have a higher ceiling to be a #1 guy you build around…but the Spurs already have Wembanyama.

That doesn’t mean I don’t care about ceiling; I just think it changes things. I’m willing to accept a lower ceiling in exchange for someone who so clearly fits what this team desperately needs + has a super high floor. Also, I still think Sheppard has a pretty high ceiling…it’s not like his best case scenario is being a role player who never averages > 15 ppg or something. He absolutely has all-star in his range of outcomes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buzelis is my pick. A guard with hops that can defend and has a 3 ball upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i voted risacher but i have each of Risacher, Sheppard, and Dillingham in my top tier. the reason i'd say i prefer Risacher is because there is no world where we can take him at 8, but we can probably get Dilly at 8
    This is a very fair take…but I personally would still lean Sheppard + Holland over Risacher + Dillingham.

Sheppard + Holland
    Risacher + Dillingham
    Castle + Dillingham

Any of those 3 outcomes would make me ecstatic tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think samanic was an awful prospect. good physical profile, solid skills to work off of. should have been picked later than he was, but oh well. think a lot of his shortcomings are due to his at ude and the mental side of things.
    It's agreat description of Buzelis tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a very fair take…but I personally would still lean Sheppard + Holland over Risacher + Dillingham.

Sheppard + Holland
    Risacher + Dillingham
    Castle + Dillingham

Any of those 3 outcomes would make me ecstatic tbh.
    id like each of those as well

the latter might be the only scenario where i like taking castle at 4, since i know he wont just be jammed into the PG position. i like castle the player, i dont like castle the "point guard"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the Spurs’ GM, yeah. I think another team might choose to go with someone like Sarr or Risacher since it can be argued those guys have a higher ceiling to be a #1 guy you build around…but the Spurs already have Wembanyama.

That doesn’t mean I don’t care about ceiling; I just think it changes things. I’m willing to accept a lower ceiling in exchange for someone who so clearly fits what this team desperately needs + has a super high floor. Also, I still think Sheppard has a pretty high ceiling…it’s not like his best case scenario is being a role player who never averages > 15 ppg or something. He absolutely has all-star in his range of outcomes.
    Yeah, folks are completely writing off Sheppard as a potential all-star and it's funny, tbh. There's a scenario there where Sheppard becomes the best shooter in the entire league, develops on what he already showed as a playmaker and provides a high number of steals and blocks. 20/7/2/1 on 50/40/90 shooting splits isn't a pipe dream for this kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Buzelis
    2. Sarr
    3. Cody Williams
    4. Salaun
    5. Risacher
    6. Dillingham
    7. Castle
    8. Sheppard
    9. Devin Carter
    10. Tristan Da Silva
    11. Topic
    12 Knecht

these are the 12 I would be happy with the spurs drafting in order
    You're the 1st I see wanting Buzelis as 1st choice. Please sell it to me...

Especially in regards of his shooting, bad motor and lackadaisical at ude in compe ion with Ignite.

I could be wrong about him but he checks so many red flags in my views as of now so I'm curious to know what's appealing to you.

Thx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My big board for #4:

1-A Risacher / 1-B Sheppard

3-Castle
    4-Buzelis

The only reason I don't have Dillingham over Castle and Buzelis, it's because I think he will be there at #8.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't believe Sheppard will ever be an all star.

Name all the small white guards who don't have the handle and dribbling skills to be a lead pg who have made the all star game.
    Last edited by rascal; 1 Week Ago at 08:17 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My big board for #4:

1-A Risacher / 1-B Sheppard

3-Castle
    4-Buzelis

The only reason I don't have Dillingham over Castle and Buzelis, it's because I think he will be there at #8.
    thats pretty close to what ive got

Risacher
    Sheppard
    Dillingham (but as you said, seems very likely that if he's there at 4, he'd still be there at 8)
    Sarr (i know the fit isnt obvious, but id bet on the talent at that point)
    Castle (not as a PG)

Castle is weird to me. like, taking Castle/Dillingham would make me really happy. but taking Castle and a wing would make me sad because i dont believe in the Castle PG thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher
    Castle
    Sheppard
    Dillingham
    Sarr

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe Sheppard will ever be an all star.
    I mean it’s entirely possible he won’t, but I don’t think it takes a crazy imagination at all to envision him being an all-star. I’d argue his chances of being an all-star are pretty much as high as anyone’s in this draft.

It’s the “ultra tail” probability outcome of becoming an all-NBA or lead guy on a le team that might be lower for Sheppard than a few others in the draft…but again, considering we have Wemby that’s just less of an emphasis IMO. Plus it’s not like anyone in this draft is projecting to be that type of guy either, it’s a pretty big long shot for all of these guys.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, folks are completely writing off Sheppard as a potential all-star and it's funny, tbh. There's a scenario there where Sheppard becomes the best shooter in the entire league, develops on what he already showed as a playmaker and provides a high number of steals and blocks. 20/7/2/1 on 50/40/90 shooting splits isn't a pipe dream for this kid.
    Watching his highlights, nothing all that special in his game. His numbers won't be anything anywhere near what he put up in college in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats pretty close to what ive got

Risacher
    Sheppard
    Dillingham (but as you said, seems very likely that if he's there at 4, he'd still be there at 8)
    Sarr (i know the fit isnt obvious, but id bet on the talent at that point)
    Castle (not as a PG)

Castle is weird to me. like, taking Castle/Dillingham would make me really happy. but taking Castle and a wing would make me sad because i dont believe in the Castle PG thing
    I actually disagree on the Castle PG thing. I have a lot of doubts Castle can actually develop a reliable jumper, but if the Spurs do pick him, he needs to develop it to stick in the league.

If he does develop his shot, then his entire arsenal as a playmaker opens up. The biggest sell on Castle is his size for the PG position, if he's just another wing, then meh.

Also, let's say he never develops a reliable 3pt shot, but he does develop a good mid range jumper. Even a bigger reason to want him with the ball on his hands (ala Tony Parker), instead of being ignored off-ball on the wing.

I don't know, I'm constantly flip-flopping with Castle. If someone told me he would be able to develop his shot to at least average levels, then he would be my #1 pick no doubt; but after trying to buy into his jumper, I just saw many UCCON games where he shot some ugly ass airballs while being wide ass open. He has some serious issues on that form. But then again, I heard he ended up shooting 90% from the line in his last games and I go back to wanting to believe. It's all a mess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching his highlights, nothing all that special in his game. His numbers won't be anything anywhere near what he put up in college in the NBA.
    Sheppard will be a top 5 pick, he will put up better numbers in the NBA for 2 reasons:

1) He will probably play more (if he goes to a team like the Spurs, maybe not so much in a team like the Rockets).

2) The NBA game is way more open. He will get more open looks and he will have more space to attack the basket and throw passes.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheppard will be a top 5 pick, he will put up better numbers in the NBA for 2 reasons:

1) He will probably play more (if he goes to a team like the Spurs, maybe not so much in a team like the Rockets).

2) The NBA game is way more open. He will get more open looks and he will have more space to attack the basket and throw passes.
    He won't put up better numbers in the NBA. He'll be coming off the bench in the NBA for his shooting but he isn't dynamic enough with athleticism to be a starter.

He doesn't have the dribbling skills like a John Stockton or Steve Nash or Mark Price, those guys were real lead guys, Sheppard is not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle is my favorite but Risacher is probably my #1 if you can get him easily.

Voted Castle because he's my personal subjective favorite, he's the best most realistically available pick at #4, and I just buy his upside when I watch his clips. Watched his whole tourney and a few reg season UCONN games and his feel for the game is insane. I also suspect UCONN team system subdued a lot of Castle's individual brilliance in the name of team just based on what he's doing in his HS tapes. I do worry about his shot coming around though.

Maybe the Finals were too recent but I see Castle as a Jrue Holiday type which would be nice on the Spurs team.
    This very closely represents how I feel as well. Both Castle and Risacher are not without ther flaws, but in a class full of uncertainly they're guys who, at a young age, have proven they can play basketball at a high level and have tangible skills that can translate. I can see the Castle / Jrue comparisons with an even bigger ceiling if he can shoot at Jrue like levels, and Risacher could be somewhere between Trey Murphy and Cam Johnson with the potential for much more if he develops on ball skills. The third guy I'd consider is Buzelis because he's an archetype you can rarely find (big, skilled combo forward with the potential to create and shoot) and if he pans out it's a home run, but there's less evidence of production in meaningful games. The other guy I'd have in the same batch is Dillingham, but I'm fairly certain he'll be available at 8 so I won't consider him at 4.

So for me (as of today) it's: 4a Stephon Castle, 4b Risacher, 4c Buzelis, 8a Dillingham, 8b Sheppard, 8c Devin Carter

To play along with Dejounte's premise I'll go ahead and reply Castle, but honestly I go back and forth and cannot confidently make my mind. Whomever the FO would take among those would be good in my book. I'd only be pissed / concerned if they took a huge unnecessary risk (Salaun), a dying archetype with fit concerns (Clingan), reach (e.g., Carrington at 4), or fail to address basic needs in terms of skills and positions (no shooting, no wings / lead guard, etc). But this draft is really tough, I wouldn't be shocked if Tyler Smith and Pacome Dadiet end up better than Sarr and Risacher respectively. Total crapshoot.
    Last edited by Ariel; 1 Week Ago at 09:28 PM.

Ford is the Best in Texas scottspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're the 1st I see wanting Buzelis as 1st choice. Please sell it to me...

Especially in regards of his shooting, bad motor and lackadaisical at ude in compe ion with Ignite.

I could be wrong about him but he checks so many red flags in my views as of now so I'm curious to know what's appealing to you.

Thx
    6’8” Athletes like him are rare. He has solid fundamentals. Plays defense. I don’t blame him for any of his ignite tape there is a reason they are getting rid of that program. I’m not as worried about shooting when it comes to a 19 year old. At that age you lack the functional strength to put up a smooth nba 3-pt shot. He has a really smooth game and I like his confidence on the court. Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders in his interviews. Developed properly I think he has more potential than anyone in this draft. If the shot comes he will be a star. He can play the 3/4 and potentially small ball 5 when he puts on more strength. I want the spurs to build a team with more length and not just say well we have wemby back there. The more length the better in my opinion. Add on his athleticism and feel for the game and I just liked him better than anyone else in this class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won't put up better numbers in the NBA. He'll be coming off the bench in the NBA for his shooting but he isn't dynamic enough with athleticism to be a starter.

He doesn't have the dribbling skills like a John Stockton or Steve Nash or Mark Price, those guys were real lead guys, Sheppard is not.
    His dribbling skills are fine, you make it sound as if he were Danny Green, who, btw, played well over a decade as a starter.

There are lots of starting guards in the NBA with less dribbling skills than Sheppard, and none shoot it like him. He will be a plus player for his entire career. Maybe the surest thing in this entire draft, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buzelis was my #1 choice

Dilly #2

above all others

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be happy with any of these guys, other than Topic. So many red flags about that dude.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Risacher
    2. Sarr
    3. Castle
    4a. Carter 4b. Sheppard

Love to walk out of this thing with Risacher/Carter. Or Castle/Carter.

Thread Information