Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The closest thing we have to a Poeltl like asset right now is Keldon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a bust and hasn't earned any touches. I'd give him up in a second if it would have moved the needle an inch to get Anunoby.
    The problem is his expiring deal. Sochan gets benched and loses what confidence Pop already hasn't stolen from him - then Anunoby either walks or costs us a ton and I don't think he puts us over the top.

I'd rather trade guys like Sochan/KJ etc for an all-star PG who will stay dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The closest thing we have to a Poeltl like asset right now is Keldon
    Agreed. He can also be a helpful player here if he understands his limitations and plays to his strengths. Vassell is a better all around player, but his shot selection must also improve. A place setter for all of these players (VW included) would make a huge difference. That person is definitely not on the roster yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a bust and hasn't earned any touches. I'd give him up in a second if it would have moved the needle an inch to get Anunoby.
    Guy who thinks we have no use for Herro because we have Branham

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is his expiring deal. Sochan gets benched and loses what confidence Pop already hasn't stolen from him - then Anunoby either walks or costs us a ton and I don't think he puts us over the top.

I'd rather trade guys like Sochan/KJ etc for an all-star PG who will stay dude.
    Obviously you pay him if you're trading for him. He's a high end defensive player who can shoot the three and would be a legit long term starter to have in place. With the NBA seeking a tripling of their current TV deal in 2025 that $30 million a year might not be too big a deal for a 26 year old defensive ace who can shoot. Sochan is terrible. If you're starting a guy with 10PER he better be Bruce Bowen on defense but Sochan is more Steve Smith.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked Quickley but I guess it's over now.

What I truly don't know is what is Spurs rebuilding timetable. Will they start to go after good players through trade and/or free agency in 2024 or will they wait at least until 2025 ?
    Even if it isn't what I wish for, I wouldn't be that surprised if Spurs team next season is basically this year team with a couple or rookies from the draft.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought there wasn't a lot of capspace out there this year? You'd have Bird Rights and not a lot of compe ion to keep them.
    OG's agent is the knick's president's son

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously you pay him if you're trading for him. He's a high end defensive player who can shoot the three and would be a legit long term starter to have in place. With the NBA seeking a tripling of their current TV deal in 2025 that $30 million a year might not be too big a deal for a 26 year old defensive ace who can shoot. Sochan is terrible. If you're starting a guy with 10PER he better be Bruce Bowen on defense but Sochan is more Steve Smith.
    Didn't check any advanced stats but for the basics the two aren't too far off from eachother tbh. Anunoby is definitely better right now, yet Sochan averages more rebounds and assists. His 3pt stroke is also improving and while he only attempts it half as much his percentage is about the same rn.

Don't get me wrong, I don't even like Sochan much. I just hate the idea that Sochan could be a similar player for a lot cheaper and probably more loyal. Also we wasted a lottery pick on him if we go another direction this early in his career. Feel like if he improves he'll be good trade fodder or at least a nice role player. If we're making a trade in this situation, I'd have preferred Quickley. This time is about helping Victor grow, Anunoby is a nice piece for someone to go from playoff seed to contender but I'm not so confident he'd help Wemby get touches in the right spots, for instance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't check any advanced stats but for the basics the two aren't too far off from eachother tbh. Anunoby is definitely better right now, yet Sochan averages more rebounds and assists. His 3pt stroke is also improving and while he only attempts it half as much his percentage is about the same rn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What I truly don't know is what is Spurs rebuilding timetable. Will they start to go after good players through trade and/or free agency in 2024 or will they wait at least until 2025 ?
    Even if it isn't what I wish for, I wouldn't be that surprised if Spurs team next season is basically this year team with a couple or rookies from the draft.
    Don't worry, we will probably get Quickley when he is 35 and a reclamation project.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm confused. were you also talking about me for Herro? I don't even know who that is lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re both rentals.
    Neither will be a rental tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OG's agent is the knick's president's son
    So it's likely the Knicks have inside info assurances that OG will return.

Interesting that that same agent also represents Brunson. So Knicks have done this before.

Precious Achiuwa and Malachi Flynn also included in the deal reportedly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also Raptors play Pistons tonight with disorganized roster changes

Good chance for DET to get a W and help SA burrow lower into the bottom of the standings

Which also would pad an L to TOR to help keep the pick top 10 but hopefully not top 6

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we traded for them most people here would turn on them too, eventually, when they voiced frustration on a podcast or whatever. I liked Quickley, don't get me wrong, but most players don't want to play in SA, ever. Is going slow and only drafting players fun? No. But SA is always at a disadvantage as far as keeping established stars happy. It's always going to be an uphill challenge for the Spurs. Tim, Tony, Manu were basically saints and statistical anomalies. Drafting players and committing to them long-term is basically how the FO does it due to all these factors, including having the least cash flush ownership group. And they don't have intrusive re ed ownership, either, which I appreciate. I'd rather have Pop, a basketball person, doing his weird choices than some tech billionaire moron calling the shots. I'm sort of rambling here but regardless the suicidal ideation on this board is understandable, so to speak, but still sort of melodramatic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we traded for them most people here would turn on them too, eventually, when they voiced frustration on a podcast or whatever. I liked Quickley, don't get me wrong, but most players don't want to play in SA, ever. Is going slow and only drafting players fun? No. But SA is always at a disadvantage as far as keeping established stars happy. It's always going to be an uphill challenge for the Spurs. Tim, Tony, Manu were basically saints and statistical anomalies. Drafting players and committing to them long-term is basically how the FO does it due to all these factors, including having the least cash flush ownership group. And they don't have intrusive re ed ownership, either, which I appreciate. I'd rather have Pop, a basketball person, doing his weird choices than some tech billionaire moron calling the shots. I'm sort of rambling here but regardless the suicidal ideation on this board is understandable, so to speak, but still sort of melodramatic.

OG the kind of move the “any change is good change” crowd loves yet would be silent as years later what that exact move turns out to be a very bad one

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also Raptors play Pistons tonight with disorganized roster changes

Good chance for DET to get a W and help SA burrow lower into the bottom of the standings

Which also would pad an L to TOR to help keep the pick top 10 but hopefully not top 6
    Pistons going to win

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Don't get me wrong, I don't even like Sochan much. I just hate the idea that Sochan could be a similar player for a lot cheaper and probably more loyal. Also we wasted a lottery pick on him if we go another direction this early in his career. Feel like if he improves he'll be good trade fodder or at least a nice role player. If we're making a trade in this situation, I'd have preferred Quickley. This time is about helping Victor grow, Anunoby is a nice piece for someone to go from playoff seed to contender but I'm not so confident he'd help Wemby get touches in the right spots, for instance.
    Sochan shot an uncharacteristically high three point percentage in the early season that has reverted back to the mean and Anunoby shoots 2.5x as many threes. Sochan is horrible in defensive FG percentage (bottom third of the league) and he's bottom 20% of the league in defense rating (414 out of 517... Vassell is 257 BTW), just a garbage defender who fails both the eye test and statistical test. Anunoby would help Victor out by being a shooting option to pass out to and by getting stops to let this team run more. Sochan is an anchor around Victor's neck. Just a trash player and a wasted pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons going to win
    They just did lol

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are better with Duren back in the lineup. Wanted Duren over Sochan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are better with Duren back in the lineup. Wanted Duren over Sochan.
    Me too... i had Duren #7 on my board and Sochan at #13.. . I feel pretty good about that board..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I really hope you aren’t right about the 2024-2025 team, but I think you are.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs do two things great.

1 - draft generational bigs at #1
    2 - build their own guards reguardless of where they are in the draft.

Quickley is good, don’t get me wrong. But it is far likely the Spurs can do better on their own. So yeah, bring on the rookies next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs do two things great.

1 - draft generational bigs at #1
    2 - build their own guards reguardless of where they are in the draft.

Quickley is good, don’t get me wrong. But it is far likely the Spurs can do better on their own. So yeah, bring on the rookies next year.
    Bang up job with Primo, Branham, and Wesley
    Last edited by baseline bum; 12-30-2023 at 10:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope you aren’t right about the 2024-2025 team, but I think you are.
    Internal improvement might get them to 25 wins in 2024-25

Thread Information