Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's too rough a description, I do think he can attack close outs, pass and make good reads, also put the ball on the floor a bit especially in transition. If the defense is set, then yes, you cannot give him the ball and expect him to create, his handle isn't tight and probably it ends in a turnover. But it should be noted that the spacing is worse than he'll find in the NBA and that won't be his role either, I'm more concerned with how his defense translates and just how good his shot actually is. If I buy these 2, then I'm not so worried about the present self creation issues, you need guys who will be efficient off ball and he seems like a very good fit there. Honestly, I find it kind of ironic that so much fuss is made about the lack of self creation for a 6'9" wing, but not for a 6'2" point guard (not you specifically).
    He's actually terrible attacking close-outs. If he gets a straight-line to the hoop, then he's great. He can get over defenders. If he has to do moves of any more complexity, it's (so far) a lost cause. There's a reason he has around a .500 assist/turnover ratio. He doesn't see anything when he has to make these moves, doesn't see help defenders, doesn't see his outlets.

He really is a guy you stick in the corner and he's great at relocating along the perimeter. He's good at cutting. But he's going to be a mess in the Spurs' motion offense, which is trying to get back to the beautiful game. He can't do that stuff. Maybe down the line, but there's not much rudimentary ability at this point. Maybe he works if you're just going to run the equivalent of 4 down for Wemby over and over where everyone's just watching him do his stuff and kicks out if he's in trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's actually terrible attacking close-outs. If he gets a straight-line to the hoop, then he's great. He can get over defenders. If he has to do moves of any more complexity, it's (so far) a lost cause. There's a reason he has around a .500 assist/turnover ratio. He doesn't see anything when he has to make these moves, doesn't see help defenders, doesn't see his outlets.

He really is a guy you stick in the corner and he's great at relocating along the perimeter. He's good at cutting. But he's going to be a mess in the Spurs' motion offense, which is trying to get back to the beautiful game. He can't do that stuff. Maybe down the line, but there's not much rudimentary ability at this point. Maybe he works if you're just going to run the equivalent of 4 down for Wemby over and over where everyone's just watching him do his stuff and kicks out if he's in trouble.
    Danny Green did just fine in that offense, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That the Spurs prioritize “positionless” basketball with taller, multi-skilled players is not a mystery. They want a defense where they can switch on every screen. We’ve heard it directly from the horse’s mouth for years. It’s why they draft guys like Sochan and take flyers on guys like Primo. It’s why they would lean towards a guy like Castle and cross their fingers his shooting would come around.

Every team has an analytics department. The difference among teams is how much influence they have on decision-making.

I’m not saying the Spurs definitely think this way, because ultimately I don’t know. But if Sheppard grades out that high, and he and Castle are both on the board at 4, and the Spurs select the guy who grades out much lower because he fits their model, then I think we’d have definitive evidence that the Spurs have a bad front office. And so would Wemby.
    That would be pretty strong evidence. I have Sheppard slightly higher on my board, but I don't expect them both to be there at #4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main take away isnt about Risacher specifically but this point: It’s a scary draft with a lot of flawed players.

I’m not trading up using 4+8 in this draft but I am fine moving up if cost is low elsewhere (maybe using 4+CHA pick+2nd type deal). But bigger point is I think Im landing on Castle+Reed or Reed+Holland as my favorite combos.

Reed because in a draft with dudes with a lot of flaws and limited star power, his shooting is something you know for sure is maybe the highest end skill in this draft. His shooting numbers are truly next level and there’s something to that. Plus he seems like a guy who processed the game well which is harder to teach.

Castle is obvious as to why SA would like him too but same as Risacher I think Castle has more bust *potential* than meets the eye. But I still really like him overall in this draft.

Holland to me is the risk/reward guy to where if you are in a draft with guys with tons of flaws anyways, and you have two picks, why not take the guy with greater upside if you are getting a flawed player anyways.

Would be happy if Risacher fell to 4 and completely fine with that pick, but I hope SA doesnt move up aggressively for him unless they really really love him obviously

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main take away isnt about Risacher specifically but this point: It’s a scary draft with a lot of flawed players.

I’m not trading up using 4+8 in this draft but I am fine moving up if cost is low elsewhere (maybe using 4+CHA pick+2nd type deal). But bigger point is I think Im landing on Castle+Reed or Reed+Holland as my favorite combos.

Reed because in a draft with dudes with a lot of flaws and limited star power, his shooting is something you know for sure is maybe the highest end skill in this draft. His shooting numbers are truly next level and there’s something to that. Plus he seems like a guy who processed the game well which is harder to teach.

Castle is obvious as to why SA would like him too but same as Risacher I think Castle has more bust *potential* than meets the eye. But I still really like him overall in this draft.

Holland to me is the risk/reward guy to where if you are in a draft with guys with tons of flaws anyways, and you have two picks, why not take the guy with greater upside if you are getting a flawed player anyways.

Would be happy if Risacher fell to 4 and completely fine with that pick, but I hope SA doesnt move up aggressively for him unless they really really love him obviously
    I'm pretty much leaning the same way with the exception of Holland. I'd only move up with cha or 2nds, but I might be willing to move back in certain scenarios though. More shots at having something hit in a flat and flawed draft.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need (1) self-creation, (2) shooting, and (3) defense. Risacher provides some of 2 and 3, but not 1. Sheppard provides 2, some of 1, and maybe some of 3, except that he’s small and might get hunted. Castle provides 3, some of 1, but not 2. Dillingham provides 1 and 2, but is really bad at 3. Holland, Salaun, Buzelis, and Williams are all projects. Carter provides some of all 3, but has a low ceiling.

It’s a shaky draft.
    For sure. I agree. I'd take Dillingham over Risacher but there's problems all around with these guys. Dill on offense could make other players better so I am intrigued by that, and it could make my viewing experience somewhat better. But total projects seem like a bad idea if they've never shown anything. Just rambling...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sprint to the podium if he's there at 4

or send 5 second round picks to move up 2 spots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green did just fine in that offense, tbh.
    Point taken, but Green became a superior defender and shooter and we got him for free. It's hard to get excited about this guy at #4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Point taken, but Green became a superior defender and shooter and we got him for free. It's hard to get excited about this guy at #4.
    It’s hard to get excited about any of these guys at #4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard to get excited about any of these guys at #4.
    I'd be pumped to get Castle or Dillingham. My fear is bad franchises are going to wise up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I was assured to get a Danny Green type player, I would select him at #4 without thinking twice in this draft, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be pumped to get Castle or Dillingham. My fear is bad franchises are going to wise up.
    Same. I'd be happy with either or, or really excited to get both. Starting to think we'll be lucky to get one of them though. Seen some chatter on twitter the past couple days about Castle going 3 to HOU (doesn't make sense given their current roster, but if they seem as BPA then who knows) or the Rockets trading that pick to a team that wants Castle. I also don't think Dillingham will still be there at 8, personally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need (1) self-creation, (2) shooting, and (3) defense. Risacher provides some of 2 and 3, but not 1. Sheppard provides 2, some of 1, and maybe some of 3, except that he’s small and might get hunted. Castle provides 3, some of 1, but not 2. Dillingham provides 1 and 2, but is really bad at 3. Holland, Salaun, Buzelis, and Williams are all projects. Carter provides some of all 3, but has a low ceiling.

It’s a shaky draft.
    That’s a really good assessment. It also the reason I don’t want to trade up. In a draft with a flat top, we have a better shot at hitting something with two pulls on the slot machine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think teams are running scared of and reacting to Victor, and that Sarr, Clingan and Risacher in some order, will be the first 3 picks.

I also think at LEAST one PG will be picked 5-7, although it may not be the original owner of the pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think teams are running scared of and reacting to Victor, and that Sarr, Clingan and Risacher in some order, will be the first 3 picks.
    I'd LOVE that. If Clingan goes top 3 it really enhances our picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same. I'd be happy with either or, or really excited to get both. Starting to think we'll be lucky to get one of them though. Seen some chatter on twitter the past couple days about Castle going 3 to HOU (doesn't make sense given their current roster, but if they seem as BPA then who knows) or the Rockets trading that pick to a team that wants Castle. I also don't think Dillingham will still be there at 8, personally.
    I'm a bit scared of Castle to the Rockets. Their defense is already so good with these mismatched parts. To me, that's their best move, after trading the pick. They can figure things out as they go and they still get Brooklyn's picks the next three years, which is nasty. (Two of them swaps.) I still think we're ahead of them because of Wemby, but they are a bit filthy with options. Need to make larger decisions on who to move and when, but they're up there.

I do think players get kind of sticky on draft boards. The 'consensus' is pretty solid right now for Sarr/Risacher as the top two. No owner or fanbase is going to let a GM stray too far from conventional wisdom. Right now Dillingham has dropped and will stay down there, but all it takes is Detroit to realize, "Hey, we need a guy who can fill up the basket, period," and he's gone. As you say, Castle could be grabbed high.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please God...hurry up with that f'ing draft.

Amen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd LOVE that. If Clingan goes top 3 it really enhances our picks.
    Sarr, while more athletic, is far less developed and would take a couple of seasons to be as good as Clingan is now, if he develops at all. People are sleeping on Clingan. He played extremely well in a motion offense system. Will he be a star? Probably not, but he’ll likely be a very solid 10-12 year starter. His bust potential is low, and there are teams that are afraid of busts more than they want stars. Sarr has some more upside, but higher bust potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a bit scared of Castle to the Rockets. Their defense is already so good with these mismatched parts. To me, that's their best move, after trading the pick. They can figure things out as they go and they still get Brooklyn's picks the next three years, which is nasty. (Two of them swaps.) I still think we're ahead of them because of Wemby, but they are a bit filthy with options. Need to make larger decisions on who to move and when, but they're up there.

I do think players get kind of sticky on draft boards. The 'consensus' is pretty solid right now for Sarr/Risacher as the top two. No owner or fanbase is going to let a GM stray too far from conventional wisdom. Right now Dillingham has dropped and will stay down there, but all it takes is Detroit to realize, "Hey, we need a guy who can fill up the basket, period," and he's gone. As you say, Castle could be grabbed high.
    Their defense drastically improved when Sengün was injured, Smith moved to center, and Amen basically played wing or maybe PF. If Sengün plugs back in, you’re back to Amen at point, which is non-optimal, and where do you play Castle?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Rockets are in a pretty good position in this draft tbh. they already have a pretty good outline of a team even if all the parts dont quite fit yet. Thompson/Smith/Green all looked better without Sengun, since despite Sengun's playmaking, he's not a floor spacer. removing Sengun and starting Jabari at center opened up space to allow Thompson to thrive as a forward. so some parts they are clunky, but they are probably in the market for more connector types who can contribute on defense... Castle/Sheppard both fit the bill. and if risacher falls, thats just another athletic floor spacer for them who could eventually take Brooks' spot in the lineup.

i think the only foreseeable way they botch this would be to take Clingan or Topic or somethin

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Dillingham is the real deal, I'd be more scared of Rockets drafting him than adding even more defense with Castle.
    They got all the defense they need on the wings with Jabari, Whitmore, Tari and Amen. Brooks is also there for the foreseeable future.
    Castle would be redundant unless they move some of those guys in a trade for a star.
    Dillingham would be a perfect fit to take over from FVV and he wouldn't have the pressure to deliver right away.

Dillingham looks ridiculously skilled and I wouldn't mind PATFO picking him, but I don't think he'd be a positive contributor as a starter right away and I also don't think Tre is good enough to start.
    Hence my Keldon, Tre, FRP for DJ proposal in that other topic.
    Would work both short and long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty much leaning the same way with the exception of Holland. I'd only move up with cha or 2nds, but I might be willing to move back in certain scenarios though. More shots at having something hit in a flat and flawed draft.
    I get that Holland is divisive but I will ask; if people are so confident of Risacher in top 4, what’s the risk of Holland? I mean, Risacher has flaws and it’s not like you are passing up on an all world talent on paper (of course things happen post draft and you get all stars out of no where too). If Risacher is a good rotation player but not a star, is missing out on that some death blow?

Nope. Holland at least pops in so many areas. He has a ton of scary questions (processing speed on team defense, shooting etc..) but it’s hard to deny how he looks when things are going well and what he does well too.

To me it’s less scary due to opportunity cost; taking a swing on Holland is not at the expense of some can’t miss safer all star type.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that Holland is divisive but I will ask; if people are so confident of Risacher in top 4, what’s the risk of Holland? I mean, Risacher has flaws and it’s not like you are passing up on an all world talent on paper (of course things happen post draft and you get all stars out of no where too). If Risacher is a good rotation player but not a star, is missing out on that some death blow?

Nope. Holland at least pops in so many areas. He has a ton of scary questions (processing speed on team defense, shooting etc..) but it’s hard to deny how he looks when things are going well and what he does well too.

To me it’s less scary due to opportunity cost; taking a swing on Holland is not at the expense of some can’t miss safer all star type.
    It's always about 3pt shooting.
    Risacher is more or less guaranteed to stay in the league if he's a decent shooter and a solid defender, Holland could be just another one in long line of Stanley Johnsons who couldn't shoot at all and found themselves out of the league in no time.

We also have to look at the fact that Spurs are one of the worst rosters in the league and that you have to start somewhere.
    Can't draft two rookies that are two years away from being two years away and won't contribute early on.

Then there's Sochan situation.
    Drafting another wing non-shooter means their minutes are tied to Sochan's. Can't have both on the floor together.
    Or even worse, Pop will still do it and lose games because of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Risacher have any upside as a creator/playmaker, or is he locked in as a dependent role player?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much better is Risacher than Salaun? Is the "safe bet" worth a potential trade up, or should we stick at 4/8 and take Salaun with the latter pick?

Thread Information