Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming we're now accelerating the rebuild, what do ypu guys think about Jerami Grant? How do you see the fit? And the cost?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming we're now accelerating the rebuild, what do ypu guys think about Jerami Grant? How do you see the fit? And the cost?
    Has the tools but seems like a guy who wants to chase empty seats with losing teams than playing for a winner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has the tools but seems like a guy who wants to chase empty seats with losing teams than playing for a winner.
    I think he's just been chasing the money(which I can't fault him for). He's been shooting 40% from 3 the past couple years and was known as a defensive guy earlier in his career. He's probably obtainable, I'm not sure if he's a 3 or 4, but we can use either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Setting aside all the mechanics of a trade, let’s start with the basic question: based on what we’ve seen of Vic to date, who are the best fits out there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's just been chasing the money(which I can't fault him for). He's been shooting 40% from 3 the past couple years and was known as a defensive guy earlier in his career. He's probably obtainable, I'm not sure if he's a 3 or 4, but we can use either.
    I like generally Grant, but his contract is probably the kind that we can't really afford if we want to leave flexibility to add a second star (Trae or otherwise). He's in the first year of a 5/160 (~20% of the cap) with a player option at $36MM when he turns 33. He's also a pretty pathetic rebounder, and we can't afford that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Setting aside all the mechanics of a trade, let’s start with the basic question: based on what we’ve seen of Vic to date, who are the best fits out there?
    He and his contract used to get scoffed at here, but I feel like someone like Duncan Robinson would be a good fit as a 6th man. He's developed his all-around game, is a decent defender (or so it appears on paper), and of course has the shooting chops. I don't want to give up a prime asset to get him, but someone in that archetype could be nice.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're looking at what Wemby is and what he can be, he's a DPOY type guy on offense with a rapidly improving passing game as well as a rapidly improving jumper. At his peak, he can probably function as an offensive hub some of the time, as a play finisher some of the time, and as a shooter some of the time. Vassell is a tough shot maker with an improving passing game. Basically, to optimize the team around them, you probably need to a) maximize spacing to allow Wemby to operate b) have an advantage creator c) point of attack defense.

So from my standpoint, if you're ignoring mechanics of a trade and just looking at skillsets. the ideal fitting lineup around Wemby would look something like Derrick White-Vassell-Paul George-Lauri Markannen-Wembanyama
    5 man lineup that with size where nobody can be hunted, can all dribble-pass-shoot, and has a ton of spacing to let everyone work.

Now obviously, White/George/Markannen are not realistic trade targets, so I guess we have to consider how you get players approximating their skillsets. For example, I think Naz Reid has been brought up quite a few times and I really like that idea as a tall forward who can shoot well. Derrick white was a mid-20s draft pick and you wonder if you can find someone like that in the draft. Maybe like Devin Carter or someone similar. Paul George is impossible to replicate, but maybe you see something in one of the forwards this year that can bring 70% of what he does. Just spitballing ideas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I think it’s good to start with the archetypes now that we have a better sense of Vic’s skills.

I personally think Jabari Smith would be the perfect player upfront with Vic and Sochan, so I’m looking for that type of player in the draft or in a trade. At PG it would be great to have someone that isn’t a complete liability on defense, as much as I do like the idea of adding Trae. I’m keeping an eye of the Piston PG situation.

Believe.
    Post Count
    You wanted to give lottery picks for him, that's not cheap.
    well let me ask you in this draft would you do Toronto pick #7 for #9 and #11? What if our pick was #5? Would you do #5 for #9 and #11? My thinking was we trade back letting Okc get their man (I’m guessing JDub’s bro Cody) and we get their two lottery picks further back and Giddey is almost a throw in to secure the deal. So yeah I do think he would come cheap. If you do #5 but not #1 but maybe #3 then that is the cost of Giddey. Honestly tho thinking about I think they trade with Wizards who could really use a player like Giddey as much or more and wouldn’t have the hang ups we would with trading with them.

Believe.
    Post Count
    ^ I think it’s good to start with the archetypes now that we have a better sense of Vic’s skills.

I personally think Jabari Smith would be the perfect player upfront with Vic and Sochan, so I’m looking for that type of player in the draft or in a trade. At PG it would be great to have someone that isn’t a complete liability on defense, as much as I do like the idea of adding Trae. I’m keeping an eye of the Piston PG situation.
    m

Are you thinking Cade or Ivey there? Cause I hear people murmur about getting Cade but I think he is the very last person they would be willing to trade. We should nab their ex-Frenchman who is free and available right now!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    m

Are you thinking Cade or Ivey there? Cause I hear people murmur about getting Cade but I think he is the very last person they would be willing to trade. We should nab their ex-Frenchman who is free and available right now!
    Cade or Ivey, assuming they can’t co-exist long term. Don’t know enough about DET to know if that is a legit concern tho.

Like would DET take the Trae Young package (or something slightly less) for Cade?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Houston were open to trade Jabari Smith to the Spurs, then they would be falling in love with a player in the draft for the Spurs pick, and simultaneously the Spurs would not be in love with the pick. Only then would a deal be negotiated.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Cade or Ivey, assuming they can’t co-exist long term. Don’t know enough about DET to know if that is a legit concern tho.

Like would DET take the Trae Young package (or something slightly less) for Cade?
    I don’t think they would cause they are in a really weird position. They have been stuck rebuilding too long and fans are no longer willing to wait for them to continue drafting. They are after Weaver’s hide! He can’t just keep building from the draft anymore. There is huge pressure to put together a winner. That means trading their picks and youth for vets or stars who will win games for them immediately. I think they would be more likely to trade anyone but maybe Cade and Duren for win now players. Or trade any of their draft picks for that matter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been looking at a few trade targets and a few FA targets and how we might mix and match depending on who we get as our other star target this summer. Obviously this isn't exhaustive. I'm just using Trae, PG, and Harden as the star targets here and we could miss on all three. I'm assuming that we'll need a couple other guys to add to whoever we get. So, my question is, "how would you build out the roster" if we got one of them? Who goes with Vic/Trae... Vic/PG etc? If we miss on all three who do we go after to add to Vic?

Trae Young $40M 3 years left on contract
    Deni Avdija $15.6 4 years
    Naz Reid $13.9 2 years po year 2
    Cason Wallace $5.5 3 years
    Herbert Jones $12.9 3 years
    *Nick Smith Jr $2.5M 3 years

Paul George
    James Harden
    Isaiah Joe
    Issac Okoro
    Grayson Allen
    Malik Monk
    Tobias Harris
    Caleb Martin
    Jalen Smith

*NSJ is strictly on here because i believe in him and one of the reasons I do is I thought he'd be a much better 3 pt shooter in the nba than he was in college based on position, spacing, and form. He's done that. He just needs to be in the right organization.
    Last edited by mo7888; 03-02-2024 at 10:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the Naz Reid and Herb Jones ideas. I also am still high on Gordon Hayward. He wasn't done much in OKC, but was putting up pretty decent stat in CHA this season.

TJ Warren is a guy not getting any run in PHO... is he washed?

Like Royce O'Neal. Andre Drummond if we don't have Collins on the roster. Like Tobais Harris as a fit but think he'll cost too much. Don't really feel like the other guys on the FA list are obtainable. Also think Avdija would be costly and Wallance wouldn't be available.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the Naz Reid and Herb Jones ideas. I also am still high on Gordon Hayward. He wasn't done much in OKC, but was putting up pretty decent stat in CHA this season.

Like Royce O'Neal. Andre Drummond if we don't have Collins on the roster. Like Tobais Harris as a fit but think he'll cost too much. Don't really feel like the other guys on the FA list are obtainable. Also think Avdija would be costly and Wallance wouldn't be available.
    Uhhh

Unless I'm wrong, TJ Warren has not been on an NBA roster all year and might not ever play again

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree on Harris. I think he's a guy you get if you miss on the top 3. Hayward is an interesting player depending on cost. TJ, i believe is washed. I'm highest on Naz and Herb, especially if we get Trae or Harden, but Okoro suprised me tne most. I knew he was a strong defender, but i didn't know his 3 pt % had improved so much (39%)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should definitely not overlook our ability to use some SRPs to add some useful veteran depth to this team in the offseason!
    Especially with exceptions like the MLE being able to take back contracts. Just as I wanted the Spurs to get in on Royce O'Neal, I'd be looking hard at DFS if the team makes any win-now move for a guard. Despite the conversation we've had in another thread, I'm not at all against them bringing in a vet defensive forward if they can swing it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ interesting you have Tobias, was just thinking he would be a good target to round out a starting group with Trae, Vassell, Sochan and VW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've talked about Grant in the Millsap/Iggy mold. I don't know if he fits. He does have a lot of experience that could help the young players, and he's played with Embiid and Jokic. He knows how to play with a young uber talented big and one who's entering his prime. He makes a fair bit of money, but he also seems to be a guy who wants to be able to settle down into a situation rather than win now. That's not a bad thing considering the team culture and where it is. I don't know that I consider Grant and Sochan a starting forward combo, but I don't know if I consider him the type of player I'd want the team to replace Jeremy with at the cost of picks and cap space. He's probably my top target in the "transitional vet" vein, but I'm not happy about it.

As I've mentioned before, there's a real issue with the draft classes in the first half of last decade being mostly awful, which means that age bracket of player isn't around to add to the squad. The team desperately needs even a 2018 Rudy Gay. In that mold, you have Ingram and Randle as possibilities in free agency in 2025 or as trades in 2024. Randle is already starting to make that pivot, but he's probably not leaving the Knicks unless he's a more fails a bit there, which makes him a less desirable get. Harden's talent is fine there, but his at ude is bad. The same goes for Paul. The Warriors' dynasty also means there aren't a lot of vets out there who have experience as core members of a le winning team. Middleton's an option if Milwaukee falls apart, but he's also fading quite a bit, which is a big reason why MKE is falling in the first pace.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uhhh

Unless I'm wrong, TJ Warren has not been on an NBA roster all year and might not ever play again
    He just signed with the Timberwolves today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's TJ Warren show out szn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trae Young $40M 3 years left on contract
    Deni Avdija $15.6 4 years
    Naz Reid $13.9 2 years po year 2
    Cason Wallace $5.5 3 years
    Herbert Jones $12.9 3 years
    *Nick Smith Jr $2.5M 3 years

Trae Young: worth a serious offer, of course, presuming he’s available. No need to rehash all that here.

Avdija: extended with the Wiz through 2027-28, as you show. Is there more to say?

Naz Reid: worth talking about.

Cason Wallace: not worth talking about at this time.

Herb Jones: signed a new contract last summer as you show. Might be worth talking about.

Nick Smith Jr: looks like he can shoot, I guess. Might be somebody to keep an eye on.

Paul George and James Harden, their availability is probably illusory. The Clips need big names to compete with the Fakers in that market, a market which is so celebrity oriented. Ballmer is likely to shovel more money at them, the same as he recently did Leonard, regardless of the Clips playoff results. This is especially true with the new Clips arena opening next season. It seems safe to say the Clips would like to have their smiling faces to help advertise the new house. Ballmer can’t get Jokic, Embiid, LeBron, or Luka, so what else is he going to do?

Isaiah Joe: probably better than the backup shooting guards the Spurs currently have.

Issac Okoro: coming off his rookie contract. Cavs have been picking up the team options but haven’t extended him yet. Worth a look.

Grayson Allen: good shooter. What’s the Spurs interest, tho? Backup SG? Replace Vassell? Allen is overpowered for a backup, and altho Allen shows better shooting percentages than Vassell I’d be iffy about him as a replacement.

Malik Monk: I happen to think he’d help the Spurs.

Tobias Harris: good player. The constant complaint has been that the 76ers overpaid him. He’s on the last year of that big contract at a cool $39.27 M. I would enter a bid for his services, but not at that financial al ude.

Caleb Martin: he has overachieved with the Heat. Can’t say I’m keenly interested in him.

Jalen Smith: I’d look to do better for a backup center. He currently has a lower BLK% than Zollins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Tobias next deal will probably still be in high teens low 20s. That might make it hard to get him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadiq Bey is the play for sf.

Thread Information