My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is gonna cut that right out.
    Like he did to Manu?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First dunk in this video is crazy as well.

Victor Wembanyama put on dunk show in warmups | #Shorts - YouTube

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's in French but basically Parker says at 10 seconds that he's glad for Victor because he knows that he wanted to go to the Spurs. So I don't believe he'd want to go somewhere else anytime soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man just seeing how fluid he moves and how comfortable he seems with the ball, you would never think he was 7'5 or whatever he is.

most of the times, guys that tall are either super slow, really herky jerky with their movements or just straight up awkward when trying to dribble or move with the ball.

can't believe he's gonna be a spur!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man just seeing how fluid he moves and how comfortable he seems with the ball, you would never think he was 7'5 or whatever he is.

most of the times, guys that tall are either super slow, really herky jerky with their movements or just straight up awkward when trying to dribble or move with the ball.

can't believe he's gonna be a spur!
    A taller, more mobile Kevin Durant...that would be insane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A taller, more mobile Kevin Durant...that would be insane.
    We as spurfans have the obligation of stopping this myth that somebody created, Wemby plays nothing like Kevin Durant.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After so many years, I'm just glad we have our future SF in Wemby. Add in Sochan at PG and we just need to shore up our big man rotation. Focus on PF and C through the latter picks of the draft or Free Agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We as spurfans have the obligation of stopping this myth that somebody created, Wemby plays nothing like Kevin Durant.
    I was guilty of it. In the games I watched, he plays nothing like Kevin Durant. He plays like a big man who also can create off the dribble some.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was guilty of it. In the games I watched, he plays nothing like Kevin Durant. He plays like a big man who also can create off the dribble some.
    Offensively, his game in its current state is pretty similar to Aldridge except he’s like 6 inches taller. He has the extra length that allows him to do things LA couldn’t dream of, however.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After so many years, I'm just glad we have our future SF in Wemby. Add in Sochan at PG and we just need to shore up our big man rotation. Focus on PF and C through the latter picks of the draft or Free Agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I was thinking more basic, in terms of Durant being tall and versatile, and not a plodder. Not really comparing their games. And Durant really went through his first 12 seasons with only one marred by injury. If the Spurs get that lucky with Wemby that would be something special.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't understand why you put so much efforts in trying to deflate the hype. Just let people dream...
    When they say Kevin Durant, it is simply because it's the first big name that pops in their mind when they associate "tall guy" and "mobile, fluid and good ball handling", that doesn't really mean they think Victor game is similar as Durant.

Now the Spurs have the possibility to draft an even taller guy with, as they can see in the highlights, the games, the media, skills of mobility, fluidity, ball handling that are unprecedented for a guy his size. And they believe, should I say they are already demanding, that it will offer them the opportunity to see something new, something amazing, a new kind.
    Victor is unique, and just because of that people want to believe they will see something they have never seen before. And this is exhilarating.

Pop is amongst the best when it's about imagining new ways of playing in order to get the best out of the tools he have, especially with players that are different, unique. Many people think that the possibility to groom Victor and try to win with him is the reason why he chose to keep coaching.
    So what makes you believe that Wemby is going to play with the Spurs the same way he does with the Mets92 ?
    Don't you think that Pop is already thinking about ways to maximize his potential ? That it is probably what he is doing since he first time he saw him play, since the Spurs decided to go all in on this year's draft and rebuild every aspect of the team (roster, cap space, picks...) in order to be ready for this unique player ?

People wouldn't be satisfied with simple wins, even with good playoff runs and a possibility to contend. They want more !
    We'll have to wait til November to have a first look at it, and probably November 2025 to have clear idea of what the Spurs will be with Victor. Until then we just want to dream, and it's pretty much a good thing, don't you think ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't understand why you put so much efforts in trying to deflate the hype. Just let people dream...
    When they say Kevin Durant, it is simply because it's the first big name that pops in their mind when they associate "tall guy" and "mobile, fluid and good ball handling", that doesn't really mean they think Victor game is similar as Durant.

Now the Spurs have the possibility to draft an even taller guy with, as they can see in the highlights, the games, the media, skills of mobility, fluidity, ball handling that are unprecedented for a guy his size. And they believe, should I say they are already demanding, that it will offer them the opportunity to see something new, something amazing, a new kind.
    Victor is unique, and just because of that people want to believe they will see something they have never seen before. And this is exhilarating.

Pop is amongst the best when it's about imagining new ways of playing in order to get the best out of the tools he have, especially with players that are different, unique. Many people think that the possibility to groom Victor and try to win with him is the reason why he chose to keep coaching.
    So what makes you believe that Wemby is going to play with the Spurs the same way he does with the Mets92 ?
    Don't you think that Pop is already thinking about ways to maximize his potential ? That it is probably what he is doing since he first time he saw him play, since the Spurs decided to go all in on this year's draft and rebuild every aspect of the team (roster, cap space, picks...) in order to be ready for this unique player ?

People wouldn't be satisfied with simple wins, even with good playoff runs and a possibility to contend. They want more !
    We'll have to wait til November to have a first look at it, and probably November 2025 to have clear idea of what the Spurs will be with Victor. Until then we just want to dream, and it's pretty much a good thing, don't you think ?
    I'm not trying to deflate nobody's hype. I'm just as hyped as anyone. I've been watching full games of a team I didn't know it existed a couple of months ago

I'm just saying Wemby plays nothing like KD and, likely, never will. I don't know why saying he doesn't play like KD would deflate the hype. He can not have the same style as KD and still be a great playet. In fact the hope/aspirstion is that he becomes a much better player than KD.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not trying to deflate nobody's hype. I'm just as hyped as anyone. I've been watching full games of a team I didn't know it existed a couple of months ago

I'm just saying Wemby plays nothing like KD and, likely, never will. I don't know why saying he doesn't play like KD would deflate the hype. He can not have the same style as KD and still be a great playet. In fact the hope/aspirstion is that he becomes a much better player than KD.
    I was not specifically talking about the Durant thing. I've read many posts of yours that keep on insisting on the fact that he is now playing like a center, that it is his natural position, his best feature, and everytime someone comes with something different it never takes very long before you come around and break it down. I know it's a bit of your style and, as a french man I guess it would be quite ironic from me to despise it, but still there is something I don't understand so I ask you again:

What makes you think Wemby will play with the Spurs the same way he actually plays with the Mets ?

Is it because of his ability, skills, that wouldn't be sufficient to play any position but C/PF ?
    Is it because your elementary school coach told you that the taller guy should always play C/PF ?
    Lack of imagination ?
    Some other reason ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In defense of others, didn’t Wemby himself say that Durant is one of the main guys he has tried modeling his game after? It’s fair to say that right now they don’t play extremely similarly (and maybe never will), but it’s not hard to see the similarities - very tall and lanky players that are crazy fluid and smooth for guys their height + great ball-handlers + have the ability to get their jump shot off over pretty much anyone. You can argue that Victor isn’t a GREAT ball-handler at this stage, but he’s clearly dedicated a ton of time practicing that skill and is pretty damn advanced for a guy his age and stature.

Of course there are some clear differences (Wemby will spend way more time as the roll guy and interior defender in the paint for example) but I wouldn’t take it too seriously…realistically there’s no great comp for someone like Wemby so people are just grasping at straws

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's in French but basically Parker says at 10 seconds that he's glad for Victor because he knows that he wanted to go to the Spurs. So I don't believe he'd want to go somewhere else anytime soon.
    Translation:

- He's going to a franchise with a winning culture with one of the best coach in history.
    - Almost everyone in France wanted him to go SA.
    - I'm happy for him since that's where he wanted to go...
    - I talked with Pop, he can't wait to meet Wemby, but beyond talent what's important for Pop is the your mentality...
    - I congratulated Wemby, but we didn't texted yet, it's a bit difficult, you know, we're opponents these playoffs.
    - The hype is deserved, he's incredible, we've never seen a 7'5 player move like a PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was not specifically talking about the Durant thing. I've read many posts of yours that keep on insisting on the fact that he is now playing like a center, that it is his natural position, his best feature, and everytime someone comes with something different it never takes very long before you come around and break it down. I know it's a bit of your style and, as a french man I guess it would be quite ironic from me to despise it, but still there is something I don't understand so I ask you again:

What makes you think Wemby will play with the Spurs the same way he actually plays with the Mets ?

Is it because of his ability, skills, that wouldn't be sufficient to play any position but C/PF ?
    Is it because your elementary school coach told you that the taller guy should always play C/PF ?
    Lack of imagination ?
    Some other reason ?
    The Durant and the bigman thing is basically the same. Victor isn't a SF and never will, sorry to break it down for everyone here, but that's just the way it is. And I comment on it because I can't stand such lunacy, tbh. Folks are even entertaining the idea of Wemby playing PG.

What makes me think Wemby will play the same way he plays in France? Common sense, tbh. What player have you seen get to the NBA and drastically change the way and/or the position he plays?

Of course he will improve in many aspects and get much better, but the style of play and position will stay roughly the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you don't think that Wemby is gonna get a few KD like high-post ups, leading into middies over the defender then idk what to tell you. I think that's where the KD comparison comes in, cuz he already uses that in France rn. Spacing should be even better in the NBA.

Like KD, he will have the option to burn the slow defenders or just shoot over the quicker ones.

That doesn't mean that he will play sf/pf like KD.

His position in the nba is always gonna be pf/c. And it will fluctuate depending on the match ups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Durant and the bigman thing is basically the same. Victor isn't a SF and never will, sorry to break it down for everyone here, but that's just the way it is. And I comment on it because I can't stand such lunacy, tbh. Folks are even entertaining the idea of Wemby playing PG.

What makes me think Wemby will play the same way he plays in France? Common sense, tbh. What player have you seen get to the NBA and drastically change the way and/or the position he plays?

Of course he will improve in many aspects and get much better, but the style of play and position will stay roughly the same.
    I dunno, I think worrying about what fans think what position he's to be playing is silly, but you be you.
    Worry more what the coaching staff does with him, not what fans dream up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don't think that Wemby is gonna get a few KD like high-post ups, leading into middies over the defender then idk what to tell you. I think that's where the KD comparison comes in, cuz he already uses that in France rn. Spacing should be even better in the NBA.

Like KD, he will have the option to burn the slow defenders or just shoot over the quicker ones.

That doesn't mean that he will play sf/pf like KD.

His position in the nba is always gonna be pf/c. And it will fluctuate depending on the match ups.
    How's that the same as saying his playing style is the same as Durants?

There are lots of players that get high-postups and shoot midrange jumpers over the defense, not just Durant.

The Durant's comparissons come because of the skinny built. It's a lazy, dumb comparisson. The same as when a player gets compared to another because they come from the same country, or are both lefties, or are both white, etc. It's downright dumb and I'm trying to combat that.
    Last edited by DAF86; 05-31-2023 at 08:59 PM.

Thread Information