Page 118 of 151 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3758
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be pissed off if Tim went and helped the rockets. Don’t really see Hakeem helping the arch rival.
    As long as we don't go to Kobe for help.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I’d be pissed off if Tim went and helped the rockets. Don’t really see Hakeem helping the arch rival.
    If the guy needs to get paid and the Spurs aren't willing, he has to be able to make a living.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he thought LMA was dumb, and couldn’t retain more than that.
    He’s one of the best scorers of his generation and among the best scoring 4s in NBA history

he wasn’t flawless but your over the top poo-pooing of him is misplaced

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recently I read on Pop saying they were watching films of Jordan, Kobe, McHale, Hakeem… I really hope they could bring in Hakeem to work with Wemby’s footwork. Damn, the possibilities of this kid.
    I was actually thinking this last night. If he worked with Hakeem during the offseason to work on his footwork would be awesome to see. Especially with how quick of a learner Wemby is.
    This organization has Duncan (since it's apparently forgotten by most, YouTube the young version) at its fingertips, but Wembanyama needs to waste 50k on Olajuwon because he was more hyped and flashier?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This organization has Duncan (since it's apparently forgotten by most, YouTube the young version) at its fingertips, but Wembanyama needs to waste 50k on Olajuwon because he was more hyped and flashier?
    Not taking anything away from Timmy. Timmy is the PF GOAT, but you don’t learn everything from Timmy, especially since Wemby is a freak who has guard handles in a big man’s body, nobody has seen before. Pop’s making him watch tapes of Kobe, Jordan, McHale, Hakeem, taking the best of these great players and morphing into the best Wemby can be. And Hakeem is considered as having the best post footwork, big man or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s been helping many players for years, I don’t see why he wouldn’t do that with Wembanyama

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh the first thing I thought when I saw Wemby's new Louis Vatton billboard the other day was, "This kid's too Hollywood for a small market like San Antonio. He's destined for a major market eventually." Obviously I hope this isn't the case, and lot will be determined over the next 2-3 years in terms of whether the Spurs can build a roster around this kid or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if he wants to play in LA or NYC eventually tbh. Hope I'm wrong and that he's a Spur for life. Time will tell.
    Name one other NBA player with a fashion house deal. It’s not a Hollywood thing, it’s a EUROPEAN thing. If it were a Hollywood thing, every hood rat NBA player would have one. LeBron would have one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh the first thing I thought when I saw Wemby's new Louis Vatton billboard the other day was, "This kid's too Hollywood for a small market like San Antonio. He's destined for a major market eventually." Obviously I hope this isn't the case, and lot will be determined over the next 2-3 years in terms of whether the Spurs can build a roster around this kid or not, but I wouldn't be shocked if he wants to play in LA or NYC eventually tbh. Hope I'm wrong and that he's a Spur for life. Time will tell.
    Maybe you’re right, but the world has changed in terms of brands and promotion so much in 15 years. Plus, he might well live in France for the entire summer regardless of where his team is, which is actually a good thing SAS has going for it.

But let’s be honest, the real reason many young people want to move to bigger cities is to be “single and mingle” with other young people. We don’t know the degree to which Wemby values that, but you only get your 20s once…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe you’re right, but the world has changed in terms of brands and promotion so much in 15 years. Plus, he might well live in France for the entire summer regardless of where his team is, which is actually a good thing SAS has going for it.

But let’s be honest, the real reason many young people want to move to bigger cities is to be “single and mingle” with other young people. We don’t know the degree to which Wemby values that, but you only get your 20s once…
    You wonder, but then you read about how he reads an hour before bed and makes time for sleep as part of his regimen so he may be less inclined to partake in that world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sean was shocked at the Wemby legacy dinner with Tim, Manu, and DRob that the questions he asked were about getting rest, and how to eat well on the road. When your career ends in your 30s, there’s plenty of time for clubbing later. There’s only one developmental cycle, and one prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know if this has been posted yet:

‘That kid is SPECIAL’: Victor Wembanyama posts rare ‘5x5’ stat line, making NBA history
    By Ben Morse, CNN
    Published 6:07 AM EST, Sat February 24, 2024

CNN

Victor Wembanyama made NBA history on Friday evening, joining an exclusive club by posting a ‘5x5’ stat line.

The French rookie filled up the box score during his San Antonio Spurs’ 123-118 defeat to the Los Angeles Lakers, finishing with 27 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 steals and 5 blocks in just 31 minutes.

He became the 15th player to log a ‘5x5’ stat line – where players record at least five points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks in a single game – and Wembanyama became the youngest to achieve the feat.

According to the NBA, the star rookie, at 20 years and 50 days old, broke the previous record of 22 years and 288 days set by Andrei Kirilenko since the league began tracking steals and blocks in 1973-74.

Wembanyama is seen as the future of the NBA and on Friday night, he faced off against one of the greats of the league in LeBron James.

Although James had the final word with the victory – in part due to his 30 points – the 39-year-old was like many of us, in awe of Wembanyama’s abilities on the basketball court.

“That kid is SPECIAL!!” he wrote on X – formerly known as Twitter – accompanied with an alien emoji.

James called Wembanyama an alien before he was drafted last year, referring to his unique combination of ball-handling abilities and frame – he stands at seven foot and four inches tall.

His rare skillset has seen him touted as a future NBA superstar, and he’s enjoyed an excellent rookie season, despite the Spurs not recording many victories.

He leads all rookies in points, rebounds, steals and blocks. He also leads the NBA in blocks.

James expanded on Wembanyama’s potential in the NBA after Friday’s game.

“He doesn’t have a ceiling,” James told reporters, per the NBA’s official website. “He can do whatever he wants to do in his career. It seems like he enjoys the game. It seems like he puts the work in, just from the outside looking in.

“I said a long time ago how special he was, and it’s really that simple.”

Wembanyama’s ‘5x5’ comes a day after he fell one assist shy of the mark on Thursday against the Sacramento Kings.

On Friday against the Lakers, he reached the mark in just 30 minutes, 55 seconds – the smallest amount of playing time needed to reach a ‘5×5’ stat line in NBA history.

It is the first ‘5x5’ stat line achieved since Jusuf Nurkic totalled 24 points, 23 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 blocks and 5 steals for the Portland Trail Blazers against the Sacramento Kings on New Year’s Day in 2019.

Wembanyama also joined more elite company with his achievement, joining Michael Jordan as the only players to get at least five steals and five blocks in consecutive games.

However, the first-year player couldn’t appreciate the moment given the result his team had just suffered.

“I wonder if (Jordan) did it in wins, not losses,” Wembanyama told reporters, per the NBA’s official website. “To me, it’s secondary. Hopefully in the future we can look back and see this as a good performance, but as of today, I can’t be satisfied in a loss.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/24/sport...ntl/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Hakeem is considered as having the best post footwork, big man or not.
    That's what I was alluding to when I said "more hyped and flashier".

Duncan's post footwork was as good as Olajuwon's, just less publicized.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I was alluding to when I said "more hyped and flashier".

Duncan's post footwork was as good as Olajuwon's, just less publicized.
    Again, I love Timmy and not taking away from his great footwork. But if you watch Timmy, he pounds and moved his defender with his body and solid low gravity. Dude, Wemby is a stick right now. Later on yeah, but right now he can benefit a lot from the dream shake, avoiding a lot of contact in getting open shots. Again, I’m not saying he can’t learn from Timmy’s moves, which are plenty. And then, there’s also McHale’s, Kobe and Jordan as Pop was saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The one thing that Wemby can internalise from Timmy - how to be consistent. Timmy was probably the most consistent NBA player ever. I could probably say, the most consistent sportsperson ever. His productivity never really dipped since his first year to his last.. and I think most of us just took his success for granted. I dont remember a game where I thought I said.. this loss is because Timmy flopped in this game or something like that. There were a few jaw dropping games by Timmy, but his floor was always an above average, good game. Just a look at his bkref page will tell us how consistent he was (adjusted for 36 minutes).

Wemby is getting there .. he is slowly getting to a point where the stat stuffing he is doing is soon going to be taken for granted. I mean 3 blocks a game.. easy-peasy. But even in his phase of excellence as a rookie, you can see that he isn't yet HoF-level consistent maybe because he lacks the stamina to be fully engaged for 36 plus minutes and be dominant over all that period. That is what he should take from Timmy's game.. Timmy would always be a beast on defense even when his shot wasn't falling (and his shot almost always fell for a high percentage). And he barely took any nights off when he wore the jersey and went into the gym to play. And he is probably the epitome of the phrase, "leading by example". Wemby can learn to be a leader like Timmy.. he doesnt need a loud voice or a flashy game to lead. He just needs to play his game and to the best of the teams interests. And get ready in the offseason to be able to do that in the regular season and in the playoffs.

So Timmy is the right guy around Wemby. I just hope just like RCB helped mold the best units around Timmy, there is a good FO that will do that for Wemby. Today that is the biggest weakness among the Spurs. Brian Wright hasn't held up as yet to the high standards of his predecessor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watch some jabbar tapes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely insane:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That one was almost sicker than when he body bagged Sengün.

If you dunk on Victor, he’s going to come back at you, probably making you look foolish in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That one was almost sicker than when he body bagged Sengün.

If you dunk on Victor, he’s going to come back at you, probably making you look foolish in the process.
    kessler got brought back down to earth real quick.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on those odds, the DPOY cake is already baked, which seems a little foolish at this point in the season and leads to some nice opportunities for those with the risk tolerance.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gobert is anchoring the best defense in the league and they're also #1 seed in the West. I don't find it outrageous that he's the runaway favorite for DPOY.

There's absolutely an argument for Victor being the actual best defensive player in the NBA as ridiculous as he's been, but with the Spurs being last in the West he's simply not gonna get it.
    I already find it awesome that he's getting that much consideration. If he even finishes #2 in DPOY voting that will absolutely be incredible already, even if he deserved better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Camby won DPOY in 2007 when the Nuggets were a below average defense but he got a lot of blocks

voters have gotten smarter though imo

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of blocks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t the Spurs have a top 7 defense with him on the court? Or close to it. He hits the bench and they turn back into pumpkins.

Him finishing second would be really impressive and indicate that people are giving him grace for the awful roster the Spurs put around him.

He probably doesn’t care about this stuff - winning seems to be his main motivation- but it would still be a great accomplishment.

Thread Information