Page 101 of 342 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 8541
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Sacramento need a PG when they picked Haliburton? Most of the time teams will take the player they think is most talented. If you end up with two stars at the same position that's a good problem to have and you trade one for a star that's a better fit like they did for Sabonis.
    Sacramento….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said it has to be Wemby chasing smaller players. Sarr is fast and quick on his feet and would be excellent at PF.

Spurs have already made two low post defenders a successful team build.
    Yes, welcome to 2024 where two centers in the same lineup hasnt won a championship in ages. Again, Sarr is a shiny projected #1 pick and people think he can turn into anything (until five years later where people have selective memory about what they say… ahem all the Poku fans are quiet now) but his most likely archetype is a Nic Claxton archetype and those types aren’t full time PF’s. People cry about Sochan’s three point shooting now but wait until you see Sarr try to shoot threes in the NBA only to give up on it after 50 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I generally believe that one should draft for talent and not for need. By that token, among the three - Risacher, Sarr and Topic.. who is the most talented? I would argue Topic because he plays a valuable position - a tall playmaker with the ability to finish well -- that is a game changer if he lives up to his fullest potential based on what we know of him as a young PG in the Adriatic League. Next would be Sarr for me, who combines on-ball defence with shot blocking and some off-the-dribble game as a big man but who isn't a stretch big in that sense. And Risacher is an excellent catch-and-shooter and a potentially good defender, from what I have read about him, plus he plays a position - competent wing - that is the most coveted in the NBA today.

If we didn't have Wemby, it would have been Topic > Sarr > Risacher for me. But we have an once in a generation player and who needs urgent help in the form of playmaking, on the ball defence, shooting. My dilemma would be then to choose between Topic and Risacher. I believe that playmaking can be purchased via the free agency and therefore Risacher is my first choice. But Topic would be a great back-up plan for me.

If the Spurs get another top 8/9 pick.. and they get to choose Risacher I would love to go for Reed Shepppard, who will be a great addition to a Wemby led squad. And fill up other needs via trade and free agency.

If on the other hand, they choose Topic as their first pick, I would love for the Spurs to consider Buzelis or Cody Williams as the second pick if they are available.. and if they are not and Sheppard/ Dillingham are.. go for one of them (Sheppard ideally.. I like the dog in this guy. Such players tend to adapt well to the motor of the NBA and carve out great careers). Reminds me of other short players like Van Vleet, Brunson, or even JJ Re who didn't have the best size/ athletic abilities, but made it big in the NBA by building on a skill and being so good at it and acceptable in others. Sheppard has such good feel for the game that I think he will find a niche in the NBA and he seems like a winning player to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People also say “don’t worry about fit on a very bad team” I think there’s one exception to that rule and it exists when you have a generational player. Would the Grizzlies spend a top 5 pick on another point guard given they have (pre-gun) Morant? That would make no sense. Or if the Warriors drafted another PG using a top pick during Curry’s ascension? That’s throwing a dart on the wall and having no plan in mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacramento….
    They’ve become one of the better teams in the league if ya haven’t noticed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mobley and Jackson Jr. (they've finally moved him to C, at least for now) could get by primarily defending PF's, I see no reason why Sarr couldn't either.

The problem with pairing him with Wembanyama would be more so offensively. Neither would be optimized because even hybrid/"unicorn" type bigs never are when paired next to another C and the team's offense suffers as a result.

In a now clear offense first league, that's untenable as far as contending for championships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sarr would become Jaren Jackson Jr. he'd be perfect next to Wemby. The thing is JJJ is a DPOY and volume 3-point shooter. I'm not sure Sarr can get to that level. I'd rather pick Risacher.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sarr would become Jaren Jackson Jr. he'd be perfect next to Wemby. The thing is JJJ is a DPOY and volume 3-point shooter. I'm not sure Sarr can get to that level. I'd rather pick Risacher.
    Eh, JJJ's DPOY was a joke.
    Anyhow, I'd also take Risacher, but I'd rather have Sarr than any of these guards with fundamental flaws.

Wemby surely won't get more than 30-32mpg the next season and having Sarr back him up would ensure 48 minutes of elite interior defense.
    And they could spend some minutes on the floor together, especially against teams with big lineups.

Three elite shooters around Wemby and Sarr and spacing would be fine.
    Can't have Sochan-Sarr-Wemby together, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just my personal opinion, but I'd prefer for us to end up with 5 and 7 or 6 and 7 and take the combo of Dilly and Matas.

If that doesn't happen, I would be nice to land the #1 pick and hope one of these other teams falls in love with the idea of Sarr so much that they're willing to make a big move up to get him. This is probably unrealistic, but say Detroit has terrible luck again and lands at #5 while we land at #1. While I don't think it makes sense for them, maybe Detroit is so desperate to finally get that #1 pick they they're willing to swap #1 for #5 and a future unprotected FRP or Jaden Ivey. Again, I'm not sure this actually makes any sense for DET, but something along those lines from other team that feels like Sarr at #1 is the big splash they need.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, welcome to 2024 where two centers in the same lineup hasnt won a championship in ages. Again, Sarr is a shiny projected #1 pick and people think he can turn into anything (until five years later where people have selective memory about what they say… ahem all the Poku fans are quiet now) but his most likely archetype is a Nic Claxton archetype and those types aren’t full time PF’s. People cry about Sochan’s three point shooting now but wait until you see Sarr try to shoot threes in the NBA only to give up on it after 50 games.

Not many teams have had the opportunity to have two athletic 7+ footers. Those type of players are not common to find. If the Spurs get the first pick they should draft Sarr. Sarr can play PF interchangeably with Wemby.

Sarr is shooting the 3 pt as well as Sochan did in college. Sarr is bigger and plays bigger than Sochan, a better rim defender than Sochan.

Wemby doesn't want to be planted at center and that's it. He wants some flexibility to move off center at times and Sarr enables him to do that against some teams. Spurs will have a big advantage defensively with those two guys.

I believe Wemby's 3 pt shot will improve enough that he won't be a liability there and will be able to play away from the basket at times. That is what he wants to do, have a flexible game and be allowed to move out of playing center sometimes.

You don't need an entire team of 3 point shooters as long as you have a couple of athletic 7' players who will dominate in matchups with their speed/size combination.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not many teams have had the opportunity to have two athletic 7+ footers. Those type of players are not common to find. If the Spurs get the first pick they should draft Sarr. Sarr can play PF interchangeably with Wemby.

Sarr is shooting the 3 pt as well as Sochan did in college. Sarr is bigger and plays bigger than Sochan, a better rim defender than Sochan.

Wemby doesn't want to be planted at center and that's it. He wants some flexibility to move off center at times and Sarr enables him to do that against some teams. Spurs will have a big advantage defensively with those two guys.

I believe Wemby's 3 pt shot will improve enough that he won't be a liability there and will be able to play away from the basket at times. That is what he wants to do, have a flexible game and be allowed to move out of playing center sometimes.

You don't need an entire team of 3 point shooters as long as you have a couple of athletic 7' players who will dominate in matchups with their speed/size combination.
    I think you're right about how Wembanyama's 3 game projects out. He's going to be an asset there. The issue with Darr and him are how they are on the other end. Can Sarr guard in space consistently? I'm skeptical..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s been 15 months and one playoff series. Let’s settle down. Before that they were a JOKE franchise, including the regime what dumbassedly created a roster controversy precisely by drafting another PG when they had Fox emerging. Sure the trade Forest Gump’d out for them (tho they were getting ROASTED at the time for trading Hali), but that was absolutely not the goal of that foresight challenged FO at the time they drafted Hali.

Also, Jonny Flynn says hi.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs are interested in pairing Wembanyama with another big, target Reid by offering the Hornets 1st, Champagnie and Bassey.

Youngish, team friendly contract, legit stretch with good handle, mobile enough to guard some 4's and strong enough to guard 5's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were last year, but they’re surprising no one this year, currently sitting at the #7 seed in the west.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d hate to miss on Topic if he’s the 2nd coming of Doncic, smart and can pace the game, also like a Jason Kidd, big guard with oozing bball IQ. Those are generational talent. I like the potential of Sarr and having an athletic 7 footer next to Wemby. Call me sentimental, but that brings me back to DRob/Timmy days. Risacher is fine and very ideal, nothing wrong with a 6’9 who shoots north of 40% from the 3. Does he have the frame to bulk up and defend the post? Good problem…

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not quite understanding the Halliburton and Kings talk.

Who SHOULD the Kings have taken to avoid another point guard? Nesmith? Precious? Isaiah Stewart?

If there's a discussion to be had it's actually the Spurs going for Devin instead. They might have passed on Halliburton for being a point guard when they had Dejounte and White plus were really really solid on Dejounte. On top of that it was coming off the COVID season where before the break Pop refused to play Murray and White together, leaving no time for another point guard.

And Devin was supposed to be an elite defender. Little did we know that Florida State is one of those system schools that inflates the appearance of defensive impact. Vassell, Patrick Williams, Scottie Barnes, all ended up being overrated college defenders

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs are interested in pairing Wembanyama with another big, target Reid by offering the Hornets 1st, Champagnie and Bassey.

Youngish, team friendly contract, legit stretch with good handle, mobile enough to guard some 4's and strong enough to guard 5's.
    Why would any team want to trade anything of value for that package?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a Spurs perspective, unless a Johnson trade is coming this off season (and it probably isn't), there's a good chance they select a SF, so it's unclear where Champagnie will fit anyway.

It'll be easier to start whichever questionable shooting SF that is if they upgrade the starter at PF from Sochan to Reid.

The Timberwolves, with looming tax issues, would cut $10.9M in salary once Bassey's non guarantee is waived, plus add needed cost controlled wing depth/shooting and draft capital.

If it's not quite enough, the Spurs can always add a 2nd(s) to attempt to push it over the line.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d hate to miss on Topic if he’s the 2nd coming of Doncic, smart and can pace the game, also like a Jason Kidd, big guard with oozing bball IQ. Those are generational talent. I like the potential of Sarr and having an athletic 7 footer next to Wemby. Call me sentimental, but that brings me back to DRob/Timmy days. Risacher is fine and very ideal, nothing wrong with a 6’9 who shoots north of 40% from the 3. Does he have the frame to bulk up and defend the post? Good problem…
    Spurs could end up with both Sarr(1) and Topic(7) with some luck. Topic isn't a lock to go in the top 6.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If this is about Naz Reid ....

I listen to the Dane Moore Podcast, who covers the Wolves full time. Really good show, always with other guests who cover the Wolves or NBA in the local market professionally, just a solid, informative, rational team podcast.

The February 20 episode about the Conley extension did spend time on the tax and roster implications and the one player and one team mentioned brainstorming wise was Naz Reid and the Spurs, just into the Spurs caproom for a first round pick (a "good" first)

While Reid would improve this crap roster, he has a player option after next year and would have a significant cap hold.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I listen to the Dane Moore Podcast, who covers the Wolves full time. Really good show, always with other guests who cover the Wolves or NBA in the local market professionally, just a solid, informative, rational team podcast.

The February 20 episode about the Conley extension did spend time on the tax and roster implications and the one player and one team mentioned brainstorming wise was Naz Reid and the Spurs, just into the Spurs caproom for a first round pick (a "good" first)

While Reid would improve this crap roster, he has a player option after next year and would have a significant cap hold.
    Interesting.

In theory, his worth is probably something like a pick in the 15-20 range, but the Spurs don't have a projected 1st in that range and in reality, good luck to the Timberwolves finding a team to give them one (they'll be more valuable than ever with the CBA changes kicking in) and save them this much in the process.

I don't care about the raise he'd command in a year or the cap hold. In the unlikely event the Spurs have something big on the horizon then where that becomes an issue, it can be sorted out at the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

When you want to trade a player into cap space to avoid the tax or one of the aprons, it costs you picks, it doesn’t get you any. He’s an ending contract next year, and I’m not sure he’s better than Bassey.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It won't in this case, but that'll also help bring the cost down because if it's not Towns, it'll be him.

Still, a player this young, relatively inexpensive (for a year) and unique (combo bigs are valuable because of the lineup flexibility they provide) won't be given away.

Andy Bailey occasionally aggregates players based on the average score of 8 "catch all" metrics and in the latest update Reid is 98th.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or if the Warriors drafted another PG using a top pick during Curry’s ascension?
    Yeah thank god they drafted Wiseman instead of Lamelo.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C'mon son, second coming of Doncic? Doncic dominated the Euroleague, winning an MVP and leading his team to the le, in a league that hates playing teenagers. Doncic probably had the best resume of any draft pick since the 1-and-done era started.

Thread Information