Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting hypothetical. The dream - my dream, at least - is that Trae and Wemby hook him up with so many easy shots and ESPN highlights, he's not too worried about being that 1b/2 option any longer (or at least, as much).

Imagine a guy of Vassell's actually great skill level just shooting open corner three's/jumpers all night instead of having to work his ass off for almost every shot, you know? That would be a thing of beauty. I think he's smart enough to realize he'll play longer and thus make up any lost money in that scenario (by extending his career and his health).

We'll see, though. He got paid before Wemby, so it's unknown how he will take the pressure if, or (I hope, personally) when someone else slides in to take his place. As an aside, this is another reason why I don't think building through the draft is the right call, here. We need a #2 banana and if that's Risacher, Sarr, et all then Devin's not going to be happy. We might have a chance at good chemistry if we get an All-Star he's forced to respect on the court.
    Vassell is the perfect #3 too, he can make his own shot and hit tough jumpers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are admitting you just made up the LA part?
    So you are admitting you didn’t see the same guys part meaning general national media?

asking for one year old articles
    not understanding the idea of national media wanting the most marketable player on big markets so they make all kinds of money
    thinking Windhorst wants to come to San Antonio on road trips for the next 15 years
    having a clear agenda to immediately upgrade the team now with no regards for the future and pretending then national media does not have an agenda to push wemby to a big market
    semantics
    pretend to not understand LA is by far the biggest media market in the us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading for Trae is common sense if not for the simple fact of how Trae will further increase the market value of the franchise just as Wemby did. It won’t be as much as Wemby did, but it will be a lot. We got a new arena because of Wemby… we’re probably gonna get more things if Trae gets go SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu said in an interview that the Spurs have a 5-year plan. I always thought that was too long and it should be more like a 3-year plan. Wemby has MVP like per 36 numbers in his last 28 games. He needs help ASAP. Spurs need to get to the playoffs next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest misconception is the Spurs losing all their future if they go for Trae. The point about the future is so that one of those future picks pan out. If one of those picks turn into Trae Young in three years, then what’s the difference between getting Trae Young now vs in three years? Is it because the player the Spurs’ pick will be homegrown and stubborn fans are stuck to the archaic idea that all Spurs players must be homegrown or else they suck? Trae is ing 25. There will still be a future if he’s here because he’s young.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-02-2024 at 07:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Young is a potential Young/Vassell backcourt. It'd be like when the Warriors trotted out Curry and Ellis defensively but our guys aren't as good offensively.
    I'm perfectly content with rolling out the Young/Vassell backcourt for a season, then improve on it by trading Vassell + assets the next one (or even in the same off-season that we acquire Young, so they never cross paths at all).

Young is much closer to fulfilling his role for a championship team than Vassell is or might ever be. I'm not nearly as worried about his defensive shortcomings if we're pairing him with the potentially GOAT defensive player... And when you factor in the lobbing threat every single possession, it's too good not to consider.

Still a pipedream, of course. But Spurs have the assets to make it happen if they wanted to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO the good news is that something has to give. There are going to be dozens of free agents over the next 2-3 years, and it doesn't take much analysis to see that anyone who wants to be set up to win could go to the team with a 20 year old who's already being talked about as the next top 10 player in NBA history. You don't even have to be a ring chaser to want to play alongside that kind of prodigious talent. The Spurs have picks and tons of cap room to work with, so I have to think along the way we'll see a premiere point/SG put San Antonio at the top of their list and the deal will get done, even if we have to take their expiring and resign them.
    Exactly - the gravity and presence that Wemby has is a major draw to any and all players. Who wouldn't want to be on the good side of the 7'3 giant blocking everyone's ? I think we're already seeing its effects, a lot of players have talked enthusiastically about Wemby and the Spurs this season, with Trae at the top of it - he gave an interview with glowing praise for Wemby.

It's a major factor of why I consider the Spurs to have a great future. Throw this season's team out the window - you still have plenty of capspace, plenty of future picks including all of our own, and the #1 most exciting prospect in basketball to draw other players in. There's no way not to capitalize on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I hope you are right, you could have said the same thing at multiple different junctures in Spurs history but it never really panned out. Wemby may just be that different though.
    Whoever it may hurt - Tim Duncan was never, ever, as exciting to watch play, or play with, as rookie Wemby is right now.

Just entire different stratospheres of "being a draw". Wemby's record-breaking media consumption numbers are clear proof, he's a worldstar in a star's league in his first season already.

Times are changing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly - the gravity and presence that Wemby has is a major draw to any and all players. Who wouldn't want to be on the good side of the 7'3 giant blocking everyone's ? I think we're already seeing its effects, a lot of players have talked enthusiastically about Wemby and the Spurs this season, with Trae at the top of it - he gave an interview with glowing praise for Wemby.

It's a major factor of why I consider the Spurs to have a great future. Throw this season's team out the window - you still have plenty of capspace, plenty of future picks including all of our own, and the #1 most exciting prospect in basketball to draw other players in. There's no way not to capitalize on that.
    “still have plenty of capspace” - track record has shown that nothing special happens from having cap space

”plenty of future picks” - again, if we “throw out this season’s team”, that would be basically five years of the Spurs not drafting well. Why would having plenty of future picks give anyone faith that those future players will have a better outcome. And don’t give me that “because we have Wemby now, the Spurs will draft better” bull . That’s the most nonsense thing I’ve heard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for a rebuild but they need to speed up the timeline--like they need to be competing for championships within the next 3 years. Do whatever you have to do to get Wemby better teammates. At 7'3"+ tall, and with a history of guys that big suffering injuries, the Spurs need to be in win-now mode from here on out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu said in an interview that the Spurs have a 5-year plan. I always thought that was too long and it should be more like a 3-year plan. Wemby has MVP like per 36 numbers in his last 28 games. He needs help ASAP. Spurs need to get to the playoffs next year.
    i remember him saying three years, at least, to compete for a le in his interview with TP.

https://youtu.be/NbOrb6DloLk?t=406

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    honestly, it is clear that the spurs should search to be as good as possible as soon as next year.

Victor will of course improve a lot, and he will erase a lot of mistakes and bad choices, but he is already a defensive force and a very good offensive player. He could play right now on a contender, so we should asap try to build one here.

Vassel is also already a very competent scorer. We will have one or two lottery picks in the next draft.

The time to search stars and good pieces to build a team able to go to the PO and compete there in a couple of years begins next summer.

I'm not saying that we have to go far in the PO as soon as next year or otherwise the season will be a failure, of course, but the time for seeing what we've got, as Pop said, ends at the end of this season i hope. Choices will have to be made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “still have plenty of capspace” - track record has shown that nothing special happens from having cap space

”plenty of future picks” - again, if we “throw out this season’s team”, that would be basically five years of the Spurs not drafting well. Why would having plenty of future picks give anyone faith that those future players will have a better outcome. And don’t give me that “because we have Wemby now, the Spurs will draft better” bull . That’s the most nonsense thing I’ve heard.
    not only that, but even if they draft the right guy in '25, he'd be a contributor for a playoff team in what? 3 years? That's 2028. With the 26 swap and the 27 picks incoming the Spurs would be a contender by 2030 when Wemby is 26 on a max contract. The guy is a top 15 player right now and will probably be top 10 by next season. If you waste another 5-6 years he'd be gone by then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are the Frenchie homies of Wama and what are they saying?

Outside of Porker of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be a contender in the NBA you need a top 10 offense and top 10 defense. The Spurs already have a top 5 defense with Wemby on the floor, so they actually have something to work with. Trae Young is a walking top 10 NBA offense. If you replace Tre Jones with Trae Young and can get a better wing than Champagnie (which ain't that hard to do and could probably even be someone like Risacher who we can bring in with our own pick) the defense would most likely still be top 5 or top 10 at least.

Which means the only thing you'd have to fix now is the defense of our bench. The bench is terrible defensively cause we're playing Zach Collins, Osman, Keldon and Branham. If you bring in a Naz Reid you don't need Collins no more. Barlow and Bassey might even be able to replace some of those guys. You could also move Tre Jones and Champagnie to the bench. A Reed Sheppard would be great in this scenario if we could somehow keep the Raptors pick in these trades. We have plenty of 2nd rounders to trade for role players to shore up the bench.

The goal should be to make the postseason next year and then be a legit contender by 2026/27

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for a rebuild but they need to speed up the timeline--like they need to be competing for championships within the next 3 years. Do whatever you have to do to get Wemby better teammates. At 7'3"+ tall, and with a history of guys that big suffering injuries, the Spurs need to be in win-now mode from here on out.
    The injury risk is legitimate for a player that height. Combined with Wemby is really good already, that is something that needs to be figured in the calculus. Wemby being impatient is less of a factor for me, though he probably understands the risks at his height more than most people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Track record for the Spurs, or the entire league? In any case, I don't see how having a clean cap sheet and room is a bad thing and unhelpful. Especially seeing half the forum B&M over Collins' contract like he's sinking us or smth.

It's a figure of speech.... Means "even if this season's team doesn't end up worthwhile of a championship roster", which isn't out of the question at this point. Would it be good or preferrable, of course not, but alas the team's performance this season...

Secondly, who said use all those picks to draft? Having plenty picks including our own opens trade possibilities to improve the team on all levels. Are you gonna give me on that too like it's some insane proposition?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So picks are worthless and cap space is worthless?

Huh. Might wanna let OKC know that.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be a contender in the NBA you need a top 10 offense and top 10 defense. The Spurs already have a top 5 defense with Wemby on the floor, so they actually have something to work with. Trae Young is a walking top 10 NBA offense. If you replace Tre Jones with Trae Young and can get a better wing than Champagnie (which ain't that hard to do and could probably even be someone like Risacher who we can bring in with our own pick) the defense would most likely still be top 5 or top 10 at least.

Which means the only thing you'd have to fix now is the defense of our bench. The bench is terrible defensively cause we're playing Zach Collins, Osman, Keldon and Branham. If you bring in a Naz Reid you don't need Collins no more. Barlow and Bassey might even be able to replace some of those guys. You could also move Tre Jones and Champagnie to the bench. A Reed Sheppard would be great in this scenario if we could somehow keep the Raptors pick in these trades. We have plenty of 2nd rounders to trade for role players to shore up the bench.

The goal should be to make the postseason next year and then be a legit contender by 2026/27
    Yeah with the leaps Victor is making I'm starting to really want Trae. This is what I expected Year 2 or maybe even Year 3 Wemby to look like. Back when Victor was getting bullied off his spot and shooting really inconsistently trying to be 7'4" Durant I thought better to go slow and build in the draft, but that's when I was expecting his entire rookie year to look like that. Don't see how the Spurs could get Reid though. He's on a cheap contract that he can't opt out of until 25-26 so no reason for Minnesota to move him. Really hope the Spurs can luck into Risacher or Sarr since Williams and Buzelis have a lot of question marks and no ing thanks on Holland with a top 5 pick.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-02-2024 at 01:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah with the leaps Victor is making I'm starting to really want Trae. This is what I expected Year 2 or maybe even Year 3 Wemby to look like. Back when Victor was getting bullied off his spot and shooting really inconsistently trying to be 7'4" Durant I thought better to go slow and build in the draft, but that's when I was expecting his entire rookie year to look like that. Don't see how the Spurs could get Reid though. He's on a cheap contract that he can't opt out of until 25-26 so no reason for Minnesota to move him. Really hope the Spurs can luck into Risacher or Sarr since Williams and Buzelis have a lot of question marks and no ing thanks on Holland with a top 5 pick.
    Minnesota has huge luxury tax issues next season with Ant's extension kicking in. They are basically forced to either move Reid or McDaniels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's also making me come to terms with the idea of trading for Trae is... opportuntiy. I mean it's OK to want to keep your assets for what you believe would be a better, more fitting player, but you don't decide if and when these guys are avaialble and if you can actually get them... There might be an opportunity to get that second star in Trae who, for all his flaws, might do it next to Wemby... Are you sure you're gonna get a better opportunity anytime soon? Do you want to take the risk to pass on Trae, then find yourself without any bettter opportunity down the road? Spurs need a star PG who fits Wemby's timeline, which Trae does... there's risks, but there always are risks, nothing is ever sure... And if there's one player Trae, or any player, wouldn't play the alpha game with, that would be Wemby... they both could elevate each other's game without ego issues. Trae would know this is Wemby's team, this is Wemby's league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm perfectly content with rolling out the Young/Vassell backcourt for a season, then improve on it by trading Vassell + assets the next one (or even in the same off-season that we acquire Young, so they never cross paths at all).

Young is much closer to fulfilling his role for a championship team than Vassell is or might ever be. I'm not nearly as worried about his defensive shortcomings if we're pairing him with the potentially GOAT defensive player... And when you factor in the lobbing threat every single possession, it's too good not to consider.

Still a pipedream, of course. But Spurs have the assets to make it happen if they wanted to.
    That is reasonable.

I see it as more than a pipedream. There were repeated reports of them working on the trade. Moreso, it makes sense. They cannot tank without their picks. If they trade with another team they are still poorer for it talentwise and without their picks.

Assuming we can find an allstar PG or SF somewhere else if we can keep any of their picks it is in our interest they trade their stars to other teams. We have them by the balls with both of their first round picks in our pocket.

But yeah there is a point where it makes sense. If they want to take on Collins and KJ on top of giving us Young I would trade them back their picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest misconception is the Spurs losing all their future if they go for Trae. The point about the future is so that one of those future picks pan out. If one of those picks turn into Trae Young in three years, then what’s the difference between getting Trae Young now vs in three years? Is it because the player the Spurs’ pick will be homegrown and stubborn fans are stuck to the archaic idea that all Spurs players must be homegrown or else they suck? Trae is ing 25. There will still be a future if he’s here because he’s young.
    The idea would be to get someone better than Trae. Young might be the most flawed all-star in the game. I'm not a fan of settling for that, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The idea would be to get someone better than Trae. Young might be the most flawed all-star in the game. I'm not a fan of settling for that, tbh.
    Halliburton >>>>>>>>> Trae Young.

Thread Information