Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is an absolute failure letting Anunoby and Quickley both get to teams where they fit and are going to get paid. They were the two best chances the Spurs had to improve the team and both options have dried up. There is no point guard in free agency to go after and no defensive ace to replace Johnson's tired ass with. Unless you think Maxey is turning down a max contract from Philly to come to a maybe 15 win team in small market San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is an absolute failure letting Anunoby and Quickley both get to teams where they fit and are going to get paid. They were the two best chances the Spurs had to improve the team and both options have dried up. There is no point guard in free agency to go after and no defensive ace to replace Johnson's tired ass with. Unless you think Maxey is turning down a max contract from Philly to come to a maybe 15 win team in small market San Antonio.
    But but but but think of all the talent we'll have with Top 5 picks for the next 5 years, by then I'm sure Darko Topic will be ready to contribute.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Settle down bro, neither of those guys are worth the money it would have taken to get/keep them here. OG is just living off hype— if he was that good his team would be playoff bound? Quickly, who I like, still has may question marks as a lead guard.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have had a history of sitting back and just watching other teams make trades. Seldom do they bring in a top starting level player through a trade and forget about getting a player with a draft day trade. Spurs are too conservative to pull the trigger on major trades on draft day.

San Antonio is a scared front office. Let's play it safe and do nothing to upgrade the roster with the selling point, "To See What We Have On The Roster With Wemby".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ the spurs have made manor trades each of the last two trade deadlines, and two others over the summers (DDR, DJ). They have been anything but scared in recent years.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ the spurs have made manor trades each of the last two trade deadlines, and two others over the summers (DDR, DJ). They have been anything but scared in recent years.
    DDR they were forced into that trade( and even took too long to make a trade) and DJ was unloading for the tank last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR they were forced into that trade( and even took too long to make a trade) and DJ was unloading for the tank last year
    Forced how exactly? They acquired a few picks for an unrestricted free agent ffs it was a masterful and creative trade if I ever saw one.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forced how exactly? They acquired a few picks for an unrestricted free agent ffs it was a masterful and creative trade if I ever saw one.
    Yes forced, because KL wanted out. I was looking at when they got DDR.

But if you want to say they trade for draft picks then yes those are the trades they make but not for current players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s nothing creative about a sign and trade. They happen all the time and are standard operating procedure. The spurs should just be glad that Derozan wanted to go to a team that didn’t have cap space. Could have just been a durant to warriors or Vanvleet situation where no sign and trade was needed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smart trade by the Knicks, who it didn't make sense from their/his side to re-sign Quickley anyway and in the process they salary dump Barrett while parting with little draft equity. Anunoby is overrated, but still fills a significant need.

Given that Barnes and Barrett will handle the ball a lot anyway, Quickley is a good fit for the Craptors, but Barrett isn't good and instead of getting draft capital to re-build now, they're trying to middle build which is likely to keep them mired in mediocrity.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Settle down bro, neither of those guys are worth the money it would have taken to get/keep them here. OG is just living off hype— if he was that good his team would be playoff bound? Quickly, who I like, still has may question marks as a lead guard.
    Quickley was asking for $25 million a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it will be hard now for Toronto to not convey a pick in the next couple of years, which will be helpful.

Keep in mind SA has TONs of upcoming second round picks which can be used/combined to turn into picks between 20 and 30 (contenders trying to conserve cap space). Those picks could be Overaged (21-22 YO) 3 or 4 year college players who have actually been taught how to play the game prior to arriving in the NBA - the way it used to be. These types of players will fill out the back part of the bench in the coming years. Samaki Walkers son was a very low second round pick (#57) last draft. He looked really good last night.

Unfortunately, all of this has to wait on a timeline that is not terrific. Winning 4 out of every 25 games sucks right now. Moral victories and baby steps of improvement don't work for those seeking instant gratification. The is the beginning of a long road.

Wemby sure seems to be a worthwhile reward for some historically bad Spurs basketball - things need to get put in order soon from a coaching, roster, and front office standpoint. Coaching changes and FO changes will come soon if the roster does not improve markedly in the next 12-24 months.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 12-30-2023 at 05:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smart trade by the Knicks, who it didn't make sense from their/his side to re-sign Quickley anyway and in the process they salary dump Barrett while parting with little draft equity. Anunoby is overrated, but still fills a significant need.

Given that Barnes and Barrett will handle the ball a lot anyway, Quickley is a good fit for the Craptors, but Barrett isn't good and instead of getting draft capital to re-build now, they're trying to middle build which is likely to keep them mired in mediocrity.
    Which is great for us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, you’re just moving goalposts but whatever. Point is: spurs have been very active on the trade front in recent years including at the deadline. they’ve just done so to (smartly) stock pile valuable draft assets, as opposed to the next player people on this forum would be ing about lol

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OG was dead set on getting to New York my guy, his agent is the Knicks presidents son.
    If you wanted Quickley you would've had to offer more value than OG Anunoby, which I am frankly glad we didn't do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of all the things to criticize this FO about in the last few years, failing to be active enough in the trade market is not one of them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the spurs have any players that anybody else wants other than Wemby, so regardless of what we might think of Quickly, RJ, or OG (each would instantly be the second best player on our team) it's no way we could trade for that caliber of player without lots of 1st round picks being involved.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, you’re just moving goalposts but whatever. Point is: spurs have been very active on the trade front in recent years including at the deadline. they’ve just done so to (smartly) stock pile valuable draft assets, as opposed to the next player people on this forum would be ing about lol
    What goal posts have been moved? Go back and read what I wrote. Spurs don't make trades for impact players. They unload players for draft picks. Those are the trades they make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big for us, this makes the raptors better.
    yes but how much better. I was really hoping we could land the 7th or 8th spot with TOR pick?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I would say this trade ups the chances the pick conveys this year.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I would say this trade ups the chances the pick conveys this year.
    Don't count on it just yet. If Toronto is hanging around the 6-10 draft position from the bottom they can still tank down the stretch like Portland did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't count on it just yet. If Toronto is hanging around the 6-10 draft position from the bottom they can still tank down the stretch like Portland did.
    It's going to be very difficult to 'out tank' the tanking teams ahead of them. I could see them falling to 6 and then its just the luck of the draw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes but how much better. I was really hoping we could land the 7th or 8th spot with TOR pick?
    the closer TOR get to top 6, the chances of the pick not conveying however minuscule the percentage. I’d rather TOR get better but not out of lottery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the closer TOR get to top 6, the chances of the pick not conveying however minuscule the percentage. I’d rather TOR get better but not out of lottery
    If Toronto finishes in the #6 spot, the lottery odds of us keeping the pick are 54.1%. If they finish at the #7 spot, the odds of us keeping the pick are 69%. If they are at #8, the odds are 73.8%. They are currently at #7. I want the pick, but the best scenario is to have it convey in a year when they’re struggling, and that comes with some risk. Since they have 3 years to get the pick, I’m OK with the risk so that it becomes a top 10 pick. I’ll be less risk tolerant if we don’t get it the first two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just from an asset management perspective, it would be best for us if the pick conveys this year, as we already have two guaranteed picks next year (ours, ATL) and a potential 3rd (CHI) and 4th (CHA).

Assuming the CHA pick never conveys, best case scenario is that TOR conveys this year, and CHI doesn't convey until 2026. That would mean we have two FRPs in the next 4 drafts.

Thread Information