Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they'll still have tatum and brown in their primes by then, its not really a given that it will convey at all
    Nah, a player’s prime doesn’t last that long. Tatum will be 30, and Brown 32 when the following season starts, but more importantly, as their skills diminish, their pay continues to grow. They expect that, so Boston will either have to offload one, or strip their roster bare to pay both. That’s already kind of started.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many do not comprehend how this league works now, how talented it is, how far off this team is from even being compe ively bad, how likely they are to remain beneath that line for the foreseeable future with the glacial approach they want to see and what that will likely begin doing to the relationship with Wembanyama if it persists.
    I think we've found our run-on sentence of the year winner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics will be one to watch. Jrue will be done by then, Porzingis will be early 30s, White will be mid-30s. Their big problem in the next few years is the cap and tax aprons. Brown makes a ridiculous amount of money, $53 million in 2025-2026, for example, when Tatum has a player option for $37 million and wanting his next contract -- he'll want at least as much as Brown is getting.

This year's cap is slightly lower than expected. It'll go up every year but the media/revenue environment is less expansive than they might have thought. They're gonna have trouble replenishing their role-players and second rank guys. Bad draft picks. Getting Porzingis was a stroke of genius this year but he'll only pay out for 2-4 years at most. Horford is very important but is about done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics will be one to watch. Jrue will be done by then, Porzingis will be early 30s, White will be mid-30s. Their big problem in the next few years is the cap and tax aprons. Brown makes a ridiculous amount of money, $53 million in 2025-2026, for example, when Tatum has a player option for $37 million and wanting his next contract -- he'll want at least as much as Brown is getting.

This year's cap is slightly lower than expected. It'll go up every year but the media/revenue environment is less expansive than they might have thought. They're gonna have trouble replenishing their role-players and second rank guys. Bad draft picks. Getting Porzingis was a stroke of genius this year but he'll only pay out for 2-4 years at most. Horford is very important but is about done.
    This. The DW trade was made before the enactment of the 2nd apron, or they might not have included the swap. They’re under tax stress already, and it won’t improve over the next 4 years.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they'll still have tatum and brown in their primes by then, its not really a given that it will convey at all
    And Doncic will still be in his prime in 2030. A lot can happen in four years in Boston. They could keep being bridesmaids and Tatum forces his way out to try to win elsewhere. They could have injuries in 2027-28. Racist Boston fan could come in Tatum's bed and he asks out. etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely can see Boston continue to be compe ive as Brown and Tatum are in their primes, but the rest of the team will be hard to keep up. Hope by then the Spurs will be starting to peak with Wembanyama only like 24 years old. The swap could move us up 10-15 spots even if Boston isn't a lottery/play-in risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't want either of the Boston prima donna loser gots.
    Unless it is for vet minimum. Even then would have to consider if they would pollute the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't want either of the Boston prima donna loser gots.
    Unless it is for vet minimum. Even then would have to consider if they would pollute the team.
    You... you don't know what is being swapped, do you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You... you don't know what is being swapped, do you?
    MT is the Forest Gump of basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MT is the Forest Gump of basketball.
    Is that supposed to be an insult? Forrest Gump wasn't book smart but he was very intelligent and successful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that supposed to be an insult? Forrest Gump wasn't book smart but he was very intelligent and successful.
    He was the opposite of intelligent, literally an idiot who was in the right place at the right time multiple times, through none of his own doing. THEY LITERALLY HAD TO DROP A BANNER TO STOP HIM FROM RUNNING OUT OF THE STADIUM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jealousy issues ^^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? He was literally re ed but by being a good person he caught a lot of lucky breaks. He was not "very intelligent" whatsoever

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy crap, all these years and I come to find out that Forrest Gump was actually re ed!!! You guys are sharp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? He was literally re ed but by being a good person he caught a lot of lucky breaks. He was not "very intelligent" whatsoever
    Most re ed part of the movie was that it was supposed to make you have faith in America, like even this for brains can become a billionaire because USA USA and because of the strength of his character.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's indeed not because spurs should do something that they should do anything and jump on the first Trae passing by. They didn't patiently come to the sitation they are now to waste their cap and picks on the first star available. Wemby is accelarating things and putting pressure on them to give him some help but also pressure to bring the right guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair but we were trying to replace Anderson at that point. That whole team was a microcosm of how to build to the cusp of contending bringing in vets like mings and Carr and then bringing in Robinson. Led us to their peak in 95.

I would also add us bringing in Aldridge to replace Robinson/Duncan.

All proven vets with all star appearances. Led to nothing.
    Either you haven't watched the Spurs or you suffer from Alzheimers, cause RJ was supposed to replace Bruce Bowen, not Sean Elliott

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair but we were trying to replace Anderson at that point. That whole team was a microcosm of how to build to the cusp of contending bringing in vets like mings and Carr and then bringing in Robinson. Led us to their peak in 95.

I would also add us bringing in Aldridge to replace Robinson/Duncan.

All proven vets with all star appearances. Led to nothing.

I'm not the biggest Aldridge fan, but I think it's overstating the facts to say it led to nothing. The Spurs won 67 and 61 games in his first two seasons, and lost in the conference finals to an all time great team after Kawhi was injured. I don't think you can categorize those seasons as complete failures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone who put up with Jenny the way he did would have to be an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone who put up with Jenny the way he did would have to be an idiot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The part I don’t understand about the all in crowd is what happens after we got that vet? Say a Trae jones. Now the war chest is depleted, we may be able to trade keldon or Vassell for some protected firsts. Then what? Trae and wemby gets you to a low playoff seed, I’d say 4th seed at best. Then we got picks in the late teens early twenties after that with little change of improvement.
    With the quan y and quality of draft capital the Spurs have, it'd be almost impossible to go "all-in".

There's a middle ground they need to walk between that and "standing pat".

We tried to replace AJ with everyone from Rivers to Claxton. We tried to replace Mario Elie with Dale Ellis and Steve Smith. We tried to replace Sean Elliot with Richard Jefferson.

They were all 'proven vets' that did little more that provide a veneer of contending. We won championships because of guys we drafted and developed and then added pieces onto. Not the other way around.

What they are trying to do is rebuild a Spur's culture. Pop used to call it corporate knowledge but now they are starting over creating the Wemby version. I am fine with acquiring talent but the reward from 'proven veterans' in finding core players for our championships has been meager.
    Just because certain things didn't work out in the past, they shouldn't be overly cautious in that regard moving forward.

Trying to recreate the past is a fool's errand. Almost everything about that was unique.

Resorting to the old ad homenim/grammar response is the surest sign that one concedes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the quan y and quality of draft capital the Spurs have, it'd be almost impossible to go "all-in".

There's a middle ground they need to walk between that and "standing pat".

Just because certain things didn't work out in the past, they shouldn't be overly cautious in that regard moving forward.

Trying to recreate the past is a fool's errand. Almost everything about that was unique.

Resorting to the old ad homenim/grammar response is the surest sign that one concedes.
    Actually, I was so distracted by my pedantic obsession with the grammar that I never really even paid attention to what you were talking about. I mean, just because I made a joke about the grammar doesn't mean one should infer I didn't agree with you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I missing something or the number of potential (realistic) trade targets over the next year or two isn't that good?
    *I personally don't want some of these players, just listing all the possible options. I'll try to keep it to younger players unless they're free agents this summer

Boston: Derrick if they don't offer him an extension.
    Cleveland: Garland if they keep Mitc , Okoro if they decide to move him.
    Philadelphia: Tobias Harris is a free agent this summer
    Indiana: Nembhard if he asks for a bigger role, Toppin lost some minutes with Siakam trade, Hield is a free agent this summer
    Miami: Herro with Spurs as a third team to enable the trade
    Atlanta: Trae, DJ
    Brooklyn: Bridges, Johnson, Claxton
    Charlotte: PJ Washington
    Wizards: Tyus Jones
    Detroit: Monte Morris
    New Orleans: Herb Jones, Valanciunas is a free agent this summer

I don't think some others like Kuminga/Moody are realistic targets, maybe I'm wrong.
    Many teams have stars that are close to 30 or older, with younger stars being untouchable.
    Not many role players are available, either, we missed our chance to take a swing at Quickley or OG.

If Spurs don't want Trae, I'd wait and see how Derrick's situation in Boston develops. If they fail again this year, I'm sure they'll make some moves and they're not going to be able to offer him a good deal due to their cap space. He could be brought back for a fairly low price and would be great for Wemby. He'd also be a great mentor for a rookie point guard and could share the floor with him because of his size.

Tobias and Buddy Hield are two free agency targets Spurs should try for, imo. But only if it's a 3 year deal, not longer.
    Nets are asking way too much for their players, with both Bridges and Johnson being 28 before the next season starts.

I put Herb on the list because of reports that he's unhappy, but I don't think Pelicans want to trade him.

Obviously crazy stuff like Luka asking out can happen, but there's no way Mavs would ever trade him to the Spurs.
    there's a changing of the guard happening in the NBA. The majority of star players that we know are reaching the tail end of their career, while a new generation of stars emerges. The Spurs should try to trade for a 2nd star soon, but there aren't many young ones out there that are available. Another aproach would be to find that emerging star player, like Mavs Jalen Brunson or OKC Harden. A guy who can become that, but is stuck behind other players on the roster when it comes to usage.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade for Jordan Hawkins while he may still be cheap to trade for.

Spurs need to add shooting.

Keldon for Jordan Hawkins and Herb Jones
    Last edited by rascal; 02-06-2024 at 06:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I was so distracted by my pedantic obsession with the grammar that I never really even paid attention to what you were talking about. I mean, just because I made a joke about the grammar doesn't mean one should infer I didn't agree with you.
    Yeah. What would you be conceding if you weren't arguing over anything?

Thread Information