Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any time a team whose core is in their 30s, age becomes a discounting factor for many people. They are perceived to be on the down-slope of their potential. In decline.

Even though the Spurs have had the best regular season record in the West the past 2 years, playoff success is what everyone remembers. No one expected the Spurs to do much last season, much less make it to the conference finals. Why not? Same reason as this season. Old and declining core.

The truth is, the Spurs have their obvious weaknesses. Size and mediocre interior defense. What people underestimate about them is the offensive schooling and precision they lay on most teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and with that said, John Hollinger is saying the Heat and the Spurs are the top teams in the East and West respectively.

My Name Is Mitchell Brown
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    I'm gonna preface this by saying I've been a Thunder fan since day 1. While listening to all of the talking heads (and talking to my friends about the upcoming season), people keep talking about the threats for the WCF in the following order:

1. Lakers
    2. Thunder
    3. Clippers!?
    4. Spurs

I keep asking them if I'm the only one who remembers how unbeatable the Spurs looked last season and I typically get a revisionist history that the Thunder 'had them all along'. What? I don't want to bring up painful memories here, but my recollection is that the Thunder looked like they had no chance in games 1 and 2, handlily won game 3, needed 12 for 12 shooting from Ibaka and 4th quarter heroics from Durant in game 4, eeked out a win thanks to a missed 3 from Ginobli in game 5 and got an off game from Ginobli in game 6. The officiating was terrible on both sides, but slanted in the Thunder's favor.

So, that brings me to my question. Did something happen that I'm not aware of? Is there a reason so many people aren't considering the Spurs the #1 or #2 team in the WC?
    Thunder fan here too. First post.

What's happened, as expected, the Spurs have been overlooked again. While they are a year older, it's still basically the same team that caught fire and won 20 games in a row. People just don't understand how hard that is to accomplish. Now the Thunder caught a break in the playoffs, and I'm admitting that as a homer fan. You guys will be a force to reckon with this coming season and I wouldn't be surprised to see you all representing the West.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

I probably shouldn't be, but I'm surprised at how many idiots have the Spurs either third or in some cases fourth in the West. I'd be surprised if they're not first or second, for the simple fact that their continuity and depth is vastly superior to the Lakers' (and depth-wise, they've got the Thunder beat, too). And as evidenced by them being tied for the best record in the league the past two regular seasons, as long as the talent is good-very good, that wins out in the regular season. Yet it's as if most people are too dumb to distinguish that from who's most likely to win the championship.

As far as the Clippers, the only way I could see them taking a significant step forward, is if Griffin takes a significant step forward. Not because of the cadre of past their prime, overrated big names they brought in.
    We also started dropping the ball when people started believing we could win it all. That's the wrong way to reward their faith in us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of you clowns seriously....want the team to get some respect, i prefer them to stay under the radar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We also started dropping the ball when people started believing we could win it all. That's the wrong way to reward their faith in us.
    Mostly because even the team bought into the hype and stopped trying, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs seem to get a ton of respect IMO. I think there are many pundits that buy into the Spurs but most have them pegged properly - a very dangerous team that does not appear to have a team built for the playoffs and can't beat the truly elite. That is not knocking the Spurs - it's being honest about who they are based on what they do/have done. They are aging, rely on depth which has traditionally been a no-no for a contender, they have no true superstar any more, their defense is below average (don't care where they rank) and HCA doesn't seem to really help them either.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs seem to get a ton of respect IMO. I think there are many pundits that buy into the Spurs but most have them pegged properly - a very dangerous team that does not appear to have a team built for the playoffs and can't beat the truly elite. That is not knocking the Spurs - it's being honest about who they are based on what they do/have done. They are aging, rely on depth which has traditionally been a no-no for a contender, they have no true superstar any more, their defense is below average (don't care where they rank) and HCA doesn't seem to really help them either.
    That's pretty much the book on the Spurs, and it's right. Hard to argue with results. I can't see the Spurs as presently cons uted taking down the Thunder or Lakers in a 7-game series. Injuries and trades obviously would change the equation, but relying on depth just doesn't get you far enough in the playoffs, as Hollinger and many posters here would agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But honestly, overall, in the past two years I have seemingly seen an uptick in the national media really giving the Spurs props. Some really gush over them (see Bill Simmons "Zombie Spurs" article last year) & a lot of others heap tons of praise on Pop and the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's pretty much the book on the Spurs, and it's right. Hard to argue with results. I can't see the Spurs as presently cons uted taking down the Thunder or Lakers in a 7-game series. Injuries and trades obviously would change the equation, but relying on depth just doesn't get you far enough in the playoffs, as Hollinger and many posters here would agree.
    The Spurs have to figure out who the new big 3 is now. TD and Ginobili can't play as many minutes. TP plus Kawhi and probably Diaw are going to have to be able to play more minutes and take on a more prominent role. We really need guys who can step up so we don't over rely on TD and Ginobili.

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Any time a team whose core is in their 30s, age becomes a discounting factor for many people. They are perceived to be on the down-slope of their potential. In decline.

Even though the Spurs have had the best regular season record in the West the past 2 years, playoff success is what everyone remembers. No one expected the Spurs to do much last season, much less make it to the conference finals. Why not? Same reason as this season. Old and declining core.

The truth is, the Spurs have their obvious weaknesses. Size and mediocre interior defense. What people underestimate about them is the offensive schooling and precision they lay on most teams.
    * Unless you're the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    * Unless you're the Lakers.
    Haha, absolutely!

Wata-Gata-Pitus-Berry patricknapier's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone is getting overlooked...its the damn Brooklyn Nets.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone is getting overlooked its the Atlanta Hawks. Johnson to the damn Brooklyn Nets was an improvement for the Hawks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if Josh Smith stops taking too many long 2s.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if Josh Smith stops taking too many long 2s.
    Agreed, with fingers crossed.

So says Drom John who wants the Spurs to beat the Hawks in 7.

Thread Information