My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that we lost tonight. But can someone explain why Pop decided to call a time out in the second quarter, essentially killing the momentum the team had up to that point?

If you don't remember. Sometime in the second quarter the Spurs were making a run. The Spurs climbed back and made it a 34-32 game, Mavs. This was after the Spurs were down 10+. Why would Pop call a time out and kill the momentum? Following the TO, Pop introduced Timmy and Blair. Dirk proceeded to score 6 easy points against Blair; pushing the game back to an 8 or 10 point game.

I need one of you Pop es to explain to me the genius behind this decision. Why would the Omnipotent One decide to call a TO when the team is charging back?

I only seek an explanation. No bull .

I don't care that the Spurs lost. I just want to understand the genius behind such a stupid ing move.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think sometimes we overanalyze things. The move by itself doesn't really make sense, but right now you are looking at it in hindsight. Otherwise I might kind of agree.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will make the Finals.

Pop's main mistake was not calling plays to attack the paint. It is that simple. You had a seriously depleted front line ripe for the picking. You scored 50 points in the paint despite not calling plays for the post. It looks more like Pop didn't really care that much about this game. If he did, he would have been T'd up after Nowitzki getting away with so many offensive fouls. What I am taking from this game is that TP had some dead legs, Stephen Jackson will be huge for the Spurs, and I hate referees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think sometimes we overanalyze things. The move by itself doesn't really make sense, but right now you are looking at it in hindsight. Otherwise I might kind of agree.

In all honesty, I'm being genuine. I want to know why Pop would call a TO and kill any momentum the team had. I can't imagine any other coach, in any other level of play, calling a TO when your team is charging. Did Pop not realize that had the Spurs tied the game, it would have forced a TO by the Mavs? Instead, the Mavs run off a quick 6 points behind Dirk and the lead returns to double digits.

I just want the Pop groupies to explain this genius move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol pop sticking with blair for long stretches of the game

lol that bonner fellow continues to play like when his not shooting, but his plus/minus on the court always leads the team for no apparent reason

that gary neal fellow cant play a lick of defense against pgs, why not switch him onto a bigger player...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think time outs have to do with the TV. I would have to check and see if each time has to call timeouts for that, but it seems like something was said about it earlier this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't want to up and catch the Thunder. 1st seed is whack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think time outs have to do with the TV. I would have to check and see if each time has to call timeouts for that, but it seems like something was said about it earlier this season.
    Maybe, but media TOs usually occur after a stop of play. The Spurs forced a miss shot on the defensive end (keeping it at 34-32), then proceeded to take it down the court and call a TO.

Please Pop-a- es. I want an explanation behind this genius move.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh good God.

The Mavs hit shots, played well. We did not.

They deserved to win, we deserved to lose. The best team won tonight no excuses. It happens. Forget the refs, the timeouts, etc... they played better. Its not that difficult.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overreacting not that big of a deal IMHO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the situation you are describing it sounds like Pop called the timeout specifically to sub Duncan and Blair back in. Pop generally doesn't coach based on momentum or riding hot streaks. When its a player's time to return to the game, Pop puts them back in. For better or worse that is the way he coaches. He is a system guy, not a momentum guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overreacting not that big of a deal IMHO
    On the contrary. I realize the Mavs played well and we did not. I realize we sucked at the freethrow line and the Mavs drained 3 pointers. Read the thread le; I don't give a that we lost.

However, Pop's aforementioned move puzzles me. Why call the TO and kill your momentum.

I think Rick got the best of Pop tonight. It was not because Rick pulled a fast one, but more that Pop defeated himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the situation you are describing it sounds like Pop called the timeout specifically to sub Duncan and Blair back in. Pop generally doesn't coach based on momentum or riding hot streaks. When its a player's time to return to the game, Pop puts them back in. For better or worse that is the way he coaches. He is a system guy, not a momentum guy.
    Maybe.

However, your statement about not riding hot streaks is only true if Pop hasn't relied upon it in the past. I know for a fact that Pop has done this. No specifics now, but if you've watched the Spurs enough, you know it's true.

I think when you're on the road and charging back, you stick to your guns. This is especially true when you don't play until wednesday.

Pop messed up.

silverblk mystix
    For the same in' reason that Bonner plays so many minutes....and the same in' reason that he had Blair and Bonner guarding dirk...for the same in' reason that he didn't ever play Timmy and Tiago together when it would have given the Spurs a huge advantage in the front court...

for the same in' reason that he always plays to the other coaches style and he never dictates the style of play...all he can do is try to match up to small ball by going micro...

Because Pop should retire but he won't and this is the Spurs biggest problem...

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nazis are dead. Deal with it.

Thread Information