Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly, I don't see Sheppard making any All-Star team. He's going to be a very good role-player if things work out.

He never wowwed me in all the games I saw of Kentucky. Well, definitely plays here or there. Fantastic hands, a money jump shot, and a couple games (MS State) he took over. But he rarely seemed like "wow, that guy!" to me, he never dominated.

The player who dominated at times for Kentucky? The other short guy.
    took me a while to nut up and finally decide which one i liked more than the other, and ultimately sided with reed just because his skill set i think is a bit more suited to what we need with vic. dilly is the more talented offensive player. they're pretty comparable in passing ability, though dillingham is significantly better at creating passing lanes with his superior handling. i think sheppard is the better decision maker in transition, and obviously is the more impactful defender (though he's not perfect). with the amount of ballhandling wemby already does (inverted pick and rolls and all), with vassell's pick and roll ap ude, i think the raw ballhandling and shot creation of dillingham isnt quite as necessary as sheppard's ability to have some impact defensively

but if we took dillingham id be thrilled. i would even think he's a good pick at 4

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Podziemski is an example of why the concerns about shepperd's defense are overstated

Podz college film on defense was just as atrocious. Loved what I saw on offense, but that defense was trash, no where near good enough for an NBA court

But what happens? He gets to the NBA and because he's smart, coached, and plays hard, he's able to play just executing the system and playing hard. Turns out he wasn't the worst defender of all time

Shepperd will be the same. The man defense won't be that bad, the team defense will be good, and everyone will forget about how he couldn't stay in front of some random guy that's going to be selling cars instead of playing the NBA

Shepperd is good enough to trade up for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Podziemski is an example of why the concerns about shepperd's defense are overstated

Podz college film on defense was just as atrocious. Loved what I saw on offense, but that defense was trash, no where near good enough for an NBA court

But what happens? He gets to the NBA and because he's smart, coached, and plays hard, he's able to play just executing the system and playing hard. Turns out he wasn't the worst defender of all time

Shepperd will be the same. The man defense won't be that bad, the team defense will be good, and everyone will forget about how he couldn't stay in front of some random guy that's going to be selling cars instead of playing the NBA

Praying someone trades with Houston at #3 to grab Clingan so Sheppard will fall to the Spurs. This is my guy.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn what happened to Branham then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn what happened to Branham then.
    he's not smart, he's not well coached, and he doesn't play hard

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reed pls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All Reed believers check in.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not smart, he's not well coached, and he doesn't play hard
    The fans here keep dinging Spurs players for horrendous defense, but the players are not held to account by this coaching staff. They get benched for missing shots, then they get benched for passing up shots because they are afraid to be benched for missing. Defense never enters into it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Houston trades pick #3, I guarantee you Reed Sheppard will be a Spur, provided Risacher and Sarr go 1 and 2, as expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best chance for the Spurs to get Reed, without trading up of course, is if the Rockets trade #3 to a team who takes Clingan, most likely Memphis. imo the Rockets will just take Reed if they keep the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in

dont see him falling tho.

reminds me of the raiders having the #4 overall pick in the 2019 draft, and and there was a clear falloff after #3. top pick was gonna be kyler, and the next 2 top ranked prospects were Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams. and all offseason raider fans were wishcasting that somehow one of them would fall to 4, because #4 was otherwise a somewhat awkward pick (there was josh allen, the DE not the QB, but he wasnt seen to be in the same tier as the other guys)

naturally top 3 just went kyler, bosa, williams and raiders panicked and took clelin ferrell

similarly, i expect the top 3 to just be risacher/sarr/sheppard and spurs will have to make a suboptimal pick because apparently dillingham isnt at play at 4

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. I think I would lean towards him as the pick. He is elite at a skill - which compensates for whatever defensive short comings he has. Smart player too.

I think Rockets screw the Spurs over and pick him though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. I think I would lean towards him as the pick. He is elite at a skill - which compensates for whatever defensive short comings he has. Smart player too.

I think Rockets screw the Spurs over and pick him though.
    For me it's not about his defensive shortcomings, it's about his playmaking.
    I really don't want to use a #4 pick on JJ Re .
    We wouldn't need him to be Nash, but we'd definitely need him to be able to initiate the offense and be the primary ballhandler. I'm not sure he'll be able to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reedlievers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's a great pick if he can hold his own on defense in the NBA. Huge "if" but I wouldn't mind the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Checking in!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are gonna be a lot of bumps in this thread if the Spurs don't end up with this kid.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are gonna be a lot of bumps in this thread if the Spurs don't end up with this kid.
    If he's there and they don't draft him I will bump it every time he rapes them from distance and the Spurs shoot 6 of 30 from distance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he's there and they don't draft him I will bump it every time he rapes them from distance and the Spurs shoot 6 of 30 from distance.
    Yeah it’s one thing if Houston grabs him at 3…but if he’s available and we choose to go with someone else I’ll be sick. And if that someone else is Salaun I might turn off the draft and tune out for the night

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's weird reading people saying the things he doesn't do. He's a better Steve Nash who plays defense. Think he will probably go top three and render this debate moot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Houston trades pick #3, I guarantee you Reed Sheppard will be a Spur, provided Risacher and Sarr go 1 and 2, as expected.
    I believe the Spurs will value castles, defense and size, and we know they don’t mind drafting players that can’t shoot worth a damn. I believe Castle will be the pick over Reed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it’s one thing if Houston grabs him at 3…but if he’s available and we choose to go with someone else I’ll be sick. And if that someone else is Salaun I might turn off the draft and tune out for the night
    The only Spurs draft I have turned off in the last 34 years was when they drafted Bill Curly. I didn't know they picked him to trade to Detroit and bring Sean Elliott back.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Don't worry so much. Reed is going to be nothing more than a player who comes off the bench with a limited role.
    The guy is a lethal 3 point shooter, who can dribble the ball and create for others. I thought the Rockets would trade the pick. I’m happy they decided to stick with it. He is a fit with the Rockets.

Thread Information