Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on this board really don’t want to get with the current NBA. Boston just won a chip with 3 point shooting. Half of their attempts were 3 point shots. Even if you say that they had defenders who can switch (which obviously they did) they had the shooting to go along with it. This dude will never be a shooter. In a team of non-shooters. Imagine having 3 point snipers in Dilly, Reed, and Knect, and Risacher and coming into next season ranked 29th in made 3s. We aren’t going to win this way. Surround Wemby with shooters ffs

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be a bad draft if the Spurs don't come away with either Sarr or Castle.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on this board really don’t want to get with the current NBA. Boston just won a chip with 3 point shooting. Half of their attempts were 3 point shots. Even if you say that they had defenders who can switch (which obviously they did) they had the shooting to go along with it. This dude will never be a shooter. In a team of non-shooters. Imagine having 3 point snipers in Dilly, Reed, and Knect, and Risacher and coming into next season ranked 29th in made 3s. We aren’t going to win this way. Surround Wemby with shooters ffs
    People think these Kentucky shrimps are going to shoot as well in the NBA as they did in college and just adding a couple of college shooters with huge defiencies in other parts of their game will turn the Spurs around.

We saw how Sheppard shriveled up in the NCAA tournament and was a no show and people in here want to burn a pick on him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston just won a chip with 3 point shooting. Half of their attempts were 3 point shots.
    They shot 70-207 in the finals. Good for 33%.
    Everyone except Derrick was streaky from deep through the entire playoffs.

Even if you say that they had defenders who can switch (which obviously they did) they had the shooting to go along with it.
    Agreed.
    But defense won them the ring, not shooting.

This dude will never be a shooter.
    I'm not saying Castle can get on that level, because his shot is even more questionable, but Derrick, Jrue and Brown were all subpar shooters in their early years.

In a team of non-shooters.
    We don't have a team. We have Wemby, probably Devin and Jeremy.
    Noone else has a good chance to stay on the roster long-term.
    Maybe Tre, but he also made some big shooting improvement.
    Jeremy is the only non-shooter and he's far from being a guaranteed long-term piece. If he doesn't develop a reliable shot, he'll be 7th/8th man in rotation when we start competing.

Imagine having 3 point snipers in Dilly, Reed, and Knect, and Risacher and coming into next season ranked 29th in made 3s. We aren’t going to win this way. Surround Wemby with shooters ffs
    Every draft is a gamble, especially this one.
    Either we gamble Castle develops a shot or we gamble Dillingham becomes a servicable defender.
    Sheppard is every stat nerd'd favorite player, but eye test just isn't there. I'd rather take Dillingham and gamble on his defense.
    Knecht is 23 and can't do much other than shoot. Bad defender.
    We don't know if Risacher will be available.

I'd take Castle because I'm not that high on Jeremy and I don't think he'll be a long-term starter.
    A lot of good players were bad shooters early on and developed their shot.
    But very few bad defenders developed into elite defenders.

Back to Boston.
    I'd say that they have zero elite shooters in their starting lineup.
    Derrick was their best shooter and noone would put him into that elite shooter bracket.

But on the other end, three of them are elite defenders, Tatum is above average and KP is an elite rim protector.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People think these Kentucky shrimps are going to shoot as well in the NBA as they did in college and just adding a couple of college shooters with huge defiencies in other parts of their game will turn the Spurs around.

We saw how Sheppard shriveled up in the NCAA tournament and was a no show and people in here want to burn a pick on him.
    Yeah I expect Sheppard to get better. He isn’t at his peak. He has so much skill that we need. He isn’t even a bad defender. People just are projecting that he is one. Castle isn’t even a point guard. We don’t need a combo guard, we need someone who can actually run the show. Both Dilly and Sheppard have shown they have the ability to do that just not the consistency. That takes practice and time. But Castle has so much to learn on the offense that I swear it’s like the same thing I said about Sochan. Everyone said how easy it is to learn how to play PG and run and offense and it’s hard af to do. You have to have a knack for it. Or come in with one elite thing offensively. The only player I can really think of that came into the league as a PG and just turned his game around with no offensive game at all is GP.

And please don’t bring up TP bc he was waaaay faster than Castle with the ball in his hands and could get to the rim at ease and was a one man fast break from day one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be a bad draft if the Spurs don't come away with either Sarr or Castle.
    nah. there are plenty of good scenarios where we land neither

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle will develop his three and be the best player from this draft. His history of hard work, humility and determination along with the physical tools is impressive. He will either be the one we got lucky on or the one that got away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have difficulty parsing just how good Castle is and how good the situation was to make things better for him

He came into a great situation with mature players who knew their role and executed. le winning team. He didn't screw things up which is good, but I wonder how he would have looked in the Ignite where everyone ran around with their head cut off, only 1 shooter and a bunch of bricklayers, lots of freshman age players trying to get their own. Would people be so forgiving of his flaws?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have difficulty parsing just how good Castle is and how good the situation was to make things better for him

He came into a great situation with mature players who knew their role and executed. le winning team. He didn't screw things up which is good, but I wonder how he would have looked in the Ignite where everyone ran around with their head cut off, only 1 shooter and a bunch of bricklayers, lots of freshman age players trying to get their own. Would people be so forgiving of his flaws?
    More or less, this is what scares me. The Spurs aren't a squad full of guys who know how to win and/or are veterans now. They were good on defense with Wemby in, so Castle does get bonus points there - we would definitely improve defensively with him on the court. That said, unfortunately we are one of the youngest and worst clubs in the League. Will Castle really be able to make the same, much less more, magic happen on this type of team? Lots of people seem to think so, and if we draft him, I hope they're right. I'm not sold, though, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan and Castle to me are compe ors for the same spot. Neither are really projected to be volume shooters. I think there is 1 spot for that guy in the SL since Wemby would operate inside a lot. There is less friction with Sochan if he could just be a good wide open spot up guy than Castle working towards a Jrue Holiday outcome. The pelicans had their share of team building problems with Jrue running the show even with his elite defense and playmaking.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan and Castle to me are compe ors for the same spot. Neither are really projected to be volume shooters. I think there is 1 spot for that guy in the SL since Wemby would operate inside a lot. There is less friction with Sochan if he could just be a good wide open spot up guy than Castle working towards a Jrue Holiday outcome. The pelicans had their share of team building problems with Jrue running the show even with his elite defense and playmaking.
    Castle looks like a better natural defender than Sochan. Sochan gets lost on defense often and isn't even in the right spot on the court as a defender.

Sochan also doesn't have the foot speed that Castle has to stay with quick players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what i will say about Castle is that he does seem like a player who is unlikely to totally bust and be out of the league. think even if things go poorly for him he will have a role in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Sheppard vs. Castle debate is interesting. Not sure why people feel the need to tear one down to build the other. I personally love both prospects. I'd choose Sheppard for the proven shooting, but I'd love Castle as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what i will say about Castle is that he does seem like a player who is unlikely to totally bust and be out of the league. think even if things go poorly for him he will have a role in the league
    What role can he really have if he never learns to shoot? He can be excellent on every other facet of the game, but if he can't keep defenses honest, he will become unplayable.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Sheppard vs. Castle debate is interesting. Not sure why people feel the need to tear one down to build the other. I personally love both prospects. I'd choose Sheppard for the proven shooting, but I'd love Castle as well
    Yeah I'm taking whichever of the two is still there at 4, assuming Risacher is gone. Between the two Castle is my first choice but would be really happy to get Sheppard too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What flaws does he have, besides his shooting? He’s the closest thing to a complete, right sized player in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jrue was never the problem. He proved that by going to Milwaukee and winning a le, and then going to Boston and winning another one. He’s an extremely low friction high efficiency player on offense, and a multiple time All D player. The problem in New Orleans was that Anthony Davis wasn’t an alpha, so it didn’t matter how the table was set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Glad we’re doing this nonsense with a 19 year old on miniscule shooting attempts .

Yeah he could NEVER improve his shooting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What flaws does he have, besides his shooting? He’s the closest thing to a complete, right sized player in the draft.
    It's mostly the shooting. But I put that to cover everything that people might see, there's plenty of videos and articles out there. I have seen critiques of him not being an elite athlete, not having point guard level skills, etc.

Arguably as a wing player Holland is just as complete besides the shooting and touch at the rim. Gold medal winner for usa youth teams, Great size, great motor, elite athlete, gets downhill, huge defensive event creation, promising playmaking as a wing. But few are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt it seems, being 8 months younger than Castle and being the number 1 in a bad situation doesn't matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I am a big fan of Castle and would love to end up with him…but you can’t just casually dismiss having no jumper as if it’s an afterthought Especially considering we just watched the Spurs be one of the worst shooting teams in the league this past season.

There’s also reason to doubt he can be a legitimate PG who consistently initiates and generates offense. He has a great BBIQ and has shown nice flashes of passing so there’s hope but it’s not a given by any means.

If he struggles at PG in the NBA + doesn’t develop his jumper, suddenly it’s a pretty brutal fit considering the rest of our squad. Not saying he’s not worth the risk, but acting like he’s a no-brainer slam dunk over any other options just seems a little silly IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mostly the shooting. But I put that to cover everything that people might see, there's plenty of videos and articles out there. I have seen critiques of him not being an elite athlete, not having point guard level skills, etc.

Arguably as a wing player Holland is just as complete besides the shooting and touch at the rim. Gold medal winner for usa youth teams, Great size, great motor, elite athlete, gets downhill, huge defensive event creation, promising playmaking as a wing. But few are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt it seems, being 8 months younger than Castle and being the number 1 in a bad situation doesn't matter.
    In the end, I just can't compare Holland to Castle. There's no way Holland could do what Castle did on UConn. There's simply a different level of impact, discipline, and understanding of the game. Holland is disruptive on defense, sure, and has great instincts there, but he was awful on offense, tunnel-visioned and not really understanding much nuance. Of course much of this is on the side of coaching, but he also just doesn't show higher level understanding of the game that Castle did. People seem to deeply discount or totally ignore both the tremendous defensive impact Castle had and the exceptional BBIQ. Holland is going to be erratic for a while, if he ever gets complicated sets. Castle won't. He's going to get NBA level O and D immediately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In the end, I just can't compare Holland to Castle. There's no way Holland could do what Castle did on UConn. There's simply a different level of impact, discipline, and understanding of the game. Holland is disruptive on defense, sure, and has great instincts there, but he was awful on offense, tunnel-visioned and not really understanding much nuance. Of course much of this is on the side of coaching, but he also just doesn't show higher level understanding of the game that Castle did. People seem to deeply discount or totally ignore both the tremendous defensive impact Castle had and the exceptional BBIQ. Holland is going to be erratic for a while, if he ever gets complicated sets. Castle won't. He's going to get NBA level O and D immediately.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not comparing them as players so much as situations. Obviously Holland wouldn't be a connective passer want to be point guard at UConn. But just him as a prototype SF he fits the bill (and could bust into a 6-8 Okogie). As Castle might fit the profile of a big on ball creator, I don't think he would have made the Ignite g-league champs

Castle had the benefit of joining a great team with great coaching. If the Spurs take him, he won't be getting that benefit here. He might find himself treated like Derrick White and jerked around lol

This Spurs team is a closer analog to the Ignite than UConn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if my only concern with castle was his shooting, i could buy that a guy like him who is a hard worker/character guy will put the time in the lab and get better, nor do i think his shot looks incredibly broken.

the reason i dont like him QUITE as much as others here is the point guard thing. he is a good ballhandler for an off-guard or wing. i dont think his handle is tight or creative enough for lead guard duties. he also doesnt have much burst or a great first step. its kind of just bully-ball with him and hesi/euro step moves. not particularly explosive when attacking the rim. he doesnt have the wiggle/shake/handle to get by most defenders, and then in the pick and roll game, the shooting rears its ugly head since defenders can just go below the screen comfortably.

he also doesnt have a midrange/pullup game to punish sagging defenders. theres just way more for him to get good at to be a viable PG than just to get by as a defensive/playmaking wing like lance stephenson

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Castle is a no brainer. If he's there at 4 you take him. He is already an elite defender and fills a need for the spurs who often got cooked by the top pgs in the league.
    His offense is solid, shot .544 on 2 point attempts and is a strong finisher at the rim. Spurs are lucky his 3 point % is low or else they wouldn't even have a shot to draft him at 4.

Castle gives you the flexibility in future roster construction(can still get a fututre PG and use Castle at times at both the 1 and 2) with his versatility that will sell the Spurs into taking him.

Thread Information