Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there precedent for a prospect grading poorly on pre-draft analytics models but still turning into a quality NBA player? If so, how much?
    tell me which analytic models you are looking at

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs better not over value the French players because they are French.
    They're already overvalued. Risacher isn't a top 4 pick and Salaun shouldn't be in the lottery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was a piece out today that said Reed and Clingan are at the top of their board, but I am curious what HOU would do if Risacher is there at 3.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there precedent for a prospect grading poorly on pre-draft analytics models but still turning into a quality NBA player? If so, how much?
    Of course. But despite the perception, their actions have told us this is an organization that (inexplicably) not only doesn't place a premium on analytics, but largely ignores them.

Since Risacher is not a great athlete and has plenty of weaknesses, I'm not expecting his individual metrics to look good. I'd expect his value to eventually show up more team wise, in terms of on/off.

There was a piece out today that said Reed and Clingan are at the top of their board, but I am curious what HOU would do if Risacher is there at 3.
    My sense is they'd select Risacher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Took a look at some more Risacher tape and man, he's a bit underrated pushing full-court. He's not great in the half court but he can go coast to coast with the ball and finish strong. He's definitely going to have some rough edges, especially in the half court, but he shouldn't be expected to do more than either shoot open shots or make a move against scrambling defenses. He's got decent court vision as well when he does get a step on his defender. He won't be worth much throwing the ball to, defended, with 6 seconds on the shot clock or something, but he absolutely should immediately improve the flow of our offense when our sets click or if he's got a rebound and an open lane.

Fingers crossed we somehow draft this man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of the narrative with Risacher is that has ceiling is limited; he’ll never be much of a ballhandler or playmaker.

Why at 19 is it impossible for him to develop more skills, but totally possible for a Ron Holland or Tidjane Salaun?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs better not over value the French players because they are French.
    That's what I'm afraid of.
    What makes you think knowing Wemby and Pop/RC that they'd prioritize nationality over need/merit?

Another franchise and another player why not but not them

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The easiest skill to improve on is shooting . Many examples of players improving on their shooting. Not many who improve PG Dribbling skills and playmaking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i know from being an NFL draft junkie that SPARQ basically is your relative athleticism to other players at your position, accounting for things like size. ie two different defensive ends who have identical athletic testing but one guy is an 2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier would therefore have the higher SPARQ score. i know for the NFL they also apply it historically, ie if you are a 95th percentile SPARQ score at your position, that is against historical measurements, not just your contemporaries

i can only assume they are doing the same here
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't follow NFL at all, and I'm extremely skeptical of catch all metrics whose formula isn't specified and the rationale of how it relates to actual sport performance isn't clear. I still don't put any stock into it, but at least it's interesting to know where it comes from.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The easiest skill to improve on is shooting . Many examples of players improving on their shooting. Not many who improve PG Dribbling skills and playmaking.
    Not true, as least as far as enough for the defense to respect it to space the floor (which is all that matters; anything less is superficial).

In a team sport, it's about role. Risacher has a clear cut one. What's Castle's? He's not a primary creator or a floor spacer and this team doesn't have enough of either of those things for him to play a "connector" role.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true, as least as far as enough for the defense to respect it to space the floor (which is all that matters; anything less is superficial).

In a team sport, it's about role. Risacher has a clear cut one. What's Castle's? He's not a primary creator or a floor spacer and this team doesn't have enough of either of those things for him to play a "connector" role.
    Don't waste the 4 pick on a SF when next year's draft is stacked with better SF than Risacher.

Spurs still have a need for a perimeter defender and Castle will slide right into a combo guard role, playing both at the 1 and 2. Spurs will like that versatility. His offense is solid as he does take it to the basket and is a good finisher around the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Castle can play multiple roles. In fact, he's already shown he can between high school and college. He's a jackknife who takes pride in being able to do a lot of different things. Risacher can only stand in the corners and receive the ball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it‘s exactly the other way around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't waste the 4 pick on a SF when next year's draft is stacked with better SF than Risacher.

Spurs still have a need for a perimeter defender and Castle will slide right into a combo guard role, playing both at the 1 and 2. Spurs will like that versatility. His offense is solid as he does take it to the basket and is a good finisher around the rim.
    Basing a pick on something that may or may not happen a year in advance is foolish.

Risacher would fill that same need and unlike Castle, he can or at least is closer to being able to space the floor and he fills a positional need, at a more difficult to fill one.

Good luck to his lack of pull up jumper, slow, not overly strong, limited wiggle ass trying to get to the rim on a team with one player (Vassell) defenses respect enough to not disregard from 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it that people assume that players with no self-creation ability will never be all-stars? Rashard Lewis didn’t have a ton of self-creation ability, but he still managed to make multiple all-star teams. Obviously, I’m not saying Risacher will definitely turn into Lewis, but I am saying there is precedent for 6-10 forwards whose primary role is spacing the floor and spot-up shooting to make the all-star team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it that people assume that players with no self-creation ability will never be all-stars? Rashard Lewis didn’t have a ton of self-creation ability, but he still managed to make multiple all-star teams. Obviously, I’m not saying Risacher will definitely turn into Lewis, but I am saying there is precedent for 6-10 forwards whose primary role is spacing the floor and spot-up shooting to make the all-star team.
    A lot is made of Risacher's on ball skills, and it's far from the most important aspect of his game. What I'm really concerned with is how good his shooting truly is, and how his defense translates. If his shooting is elite and his defense is (at least) good, then he's a very fine pick even if he never develops on ball skills. If he fails to live up to expectations on either, that's where he'll disappoint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn’t the 90s. You could be an All star then without a 3 point shot,too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on what conference you're in. Back in the day Chris Gatling and Jamaal MacGloire became All-Stars because they had so few good players. Last year it was Trae Young who was among the undeserving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/worst-pe...-kawhi-durant/

I don't know how they ran the whole thing but those euro combine results were strange overall, not just for Risacher but including prospects known for their athleticism. Teams will have their own tests.

Or maybe Zach sabotaged his tests to fall to #4 will be interesting to hear about his workouts with other top picking teams. If he follows the plan, he'll underperform there too...
    Last edited by JPB; 4 Days Ago at 01:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a little surprised to see Risacher working out with Wizards. Risacher was said to be looking more as teams where he would fit well over being drafted as high as possible. Wizards might be the worst team possible for him. Maybe he is doing that because no teams he likes has made him a promise, maybe he is sabotaging these workouts as said previously...

And I'm quite convinced Hawks won't pick Risacher at #1 and are bluffing about that with the idea to get a lot from Spurs in a trade to move up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a little surprised to see Risacher working out with Wizards. Risacher was said to be looking more as teams where he would fit well over being drafted as high as possible. Wizards might be the worst team possible for him. Maybe he is doing that because no teams he likes has made him a promise, maybe he is sabotaging these workouts as said previously...

And I'm quite convinced Hawks won't pick Risacher at #1 and are bluffing about that with the idea to get a lot from Spurs in a trade to move up.
    Do we really think Spurs value Risacher so clearly that ATL thinks that may work? What would give them that impression that SA loves Risacher above all other players?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we really think Spurs value Risacher so clearly that ATL thinks that may work? What would give them that impression that SA loves Risacher above all other players?
    Would Quinn Snyder and Landry Fields have some type of org knowledge as to how SA goes about their draft processes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Quinn Snyder and Landry Fields have some type of org knowledge as to how SA goes about their draft processes?
    I highly doubt, even with their relationship, that SA would give them that leverage by letting them know that. But either way, if Im SA I am calling their bluff and see if they take Risacher with pick 1.

I hope they do tbh…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Quinn and Landry were only ever in Austin.

If there were ever a draft to get a wrong read on SA, this would be that draft. It’s so flat, and you’re as likely to get Player A at 3 as you are at 8 or 9.

Thread Information