View Poll Results: Can a coach win 1 Championship in 17 years and be considered GOAT?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Pop wasn't, isn't, and wont ever be

2 50.00%
  • Yes Pop is the GOAT NBA coach

2 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no logic in what you're saying. Manu was drafted 57th, Tony 28th. That they both developed into HOFers under Pop is a credit to Pop, not a detractor. I mean, DaVinci had the Mona Lisa to work with, one of the greatest paintings ever. He's not really that good obviously.
    i'll give you tony, but manu was already a god before he even got to the nba

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GNob was going to kick ass with virtually any team he went to.
    He is that versatile and good.

Fortunately the Spurs got him and kept him.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    So good no one picked him up until 57th.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    GNob was going to kick ass with virtually any team he went to.
    He is that versatile and good.

Fortunately the Spurs got him and kept him.
    Revisionist history. Might as well say Joker was obviously a 3 time MVP when he was drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had heard but was not sure.
    Once he got in I quickly realized he was a joker, a wild card that changed a good team to a championship caliber team

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I had heard but was not sure.
    Once he got in I quickly realized he was a joker, a wild card that changed a good team to a championship caliber team
    Sure but "I love the team so they had the best roster for 10 years" is cringe as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure but "I love the team so they had the best roster for 10 years" is cringe as .
    There is no doubt that for the Duncan years they underachieved
    Should won more
    Dumbass Pop had a lot to do with it

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    There is no doubt that for the Duncan years they underachieved
    Should won more
    Dumbass Pop had a lot to do with it
    GA with the truth, bitter edition.

GA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was a different time, nba thought americans were better.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    was a different time, nba thought americans were better.
    Decisions aren't made in retrospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is funny how things work out. Imagine Manu coming up today. He would be as hyped as any other prospect in NBA's history. He's literally the perfect guard for today's NBA. And, yeah, he would be a PG in today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johny Wooden said it best and you could learn from it.
    When asked what was his best coaching job what did he say?
    The 88 win streak teams? One of the teams with Lew Alcindor or Billy Walton?

Nope. He said it was a 60's team that had below .500 expectations but worked their butts off and applied his team strategies. Went somethin like 16-10.

Point?
    Popped had the best player of his era and best roster 10 times, minimum. He got 5 Chips out of that.
    Prawk prawk so he won 5 when Mr. Schnider the school electric teacher and part time coach would have also won 5.

The other 5? Lets hear you Poppers spin.
    So why did you have this poll? It doesn’t make any sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    99 - Lakers. Jazz, Blazers, Pacers were at least as good, on paper. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html Spurs were picked 3rd in odds.
    04 - Lakers clearly had the better roster on paper. Kings, Mavs, Pistons. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html Spurs 2nd.
    05 - Kings, Wolves, Pistons. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html Spurs had the best odds, and won
    06 - Mavs, Suns, Heat, Pistons. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html Spurs had the best odds, lost.
    07 - Mavs, Suns, Heat, Pistons. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html, Spurs had 2nd best odds, won
    12- This is just blatant bull . Heat, lakers, Thunder, Mavs. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html Spurs had the 12th best odds. 12th! Yet they made it all the way to the WCF. There were 6 WC teams picked in front of them.
    13 - Heat, Lakers, Thunder. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html. Spurs had the 5th best odds.
    14 - Heat, OKC. https://www.basketball-reference.com...ason_odds.html Spurs tied for 4th best odds, won it all.
    And you stated 10, you listed 9.

Overall, the Spurs had the best odds to win it all in 2005 (won), 2006 (lost), 2008 (tied with Mavs, lost) since 1997, and they won 5 les.

Their win lost record was over expectations every year except 1997 (due to massive injuries which led to Duncan), 00 (1.5 games), 04(0.5 games), 10 (4.5 games), 15 (2 games), 18 (8 games, Kawhi pulled a Kawhi), 20 (14.5 games), 23 (0.5 games, massive tanking year), and 24 (6.5 games). There were multiple seasons where the spurs were 10 games over preseason O/U wins. In 27 years, the regular season record was below betting lines 9 times. I would say that is pretty damn good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you stated 10, you listed 9.
    Pops quit* year, being 2015 when he was out strategized by Doc Rivers should not be included.
    While the Spurs still had the great Duncan an even below average coach would have advanced them past Coc Rivers, however would have probably been ousted by his butt buddy Kerr and the injury luck Warriors in the next round.

*The final game 7 vs Clippers, when the corrupt ref blew the whistle right as the Spurs final chance play was being inbounded. Instead of drawing up a new play, Pop pouted and Quit, wasting time falsely accusing the time clock person then calling the same exact play. Of course the Clippers read it, they knew it was coming and Game Over.

Also the year Juuan Coward took out the Spurs Derek Anderson with a super cheapshot should not be held against Popped.

Overall, the Spurs had the best odds to win it all in 2005 (won), 2006 (lost), 2008 (tied with Mavs, lost) since 1997, and they won 5 les
    Says pathetically corrupt Vegas or you?
    You're agreeing that the Spurs only had the best roster in 3 farking years?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pops quit* year, being 2015 when he was out strategized by Doc Rivers should not be included.
    While the Spurs still had the great Duncan an even below average coach would have advanced them past Coc Rivers, however would have probably been ousted by his butt buddy Kerr and the injury luck Warriors in the next round.

*The final game 7 vs Clippers, when the corrupt ref blew the whistle right as the Spurs final chance play was being inbounded. Instead of drawing up a new play, Pop pouted and Quit, wasting time falsely accusing the time clock person then calling the same exact play. Of course the Clippers read it, they knew it was coming and Game Over.

Also the year Juuan Coward took out the Spurs Derek Anderson with a super cheapshot should not be held against Popped.

Says pathetically corrupt Vegas or you?
    You're agreeing that the Spurs only had the best roster in 3 farking years?!
    So now you are throwing conspiracy theories on the wall. Vegas don't care about sticking it to Pop, they care about money. Let's set the odds, hey, the entire market is betting on the Spurs to win it all, but we would rather lose billions of dollars so that we can allow some internet nerds to win an argument 20 years down the line. I mean, are you that dense?

As for the Clippers comment, they were supposed to advance time after time, they did that one time, at the expense of the Spurs, but you keep putting up conspiracy theories out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now you are throwing conspiracy theories on the wall. Vegas don't care about sticking it to Pop, they care about money. Let's set the odds, hey, the entire market is betting on the Spurs to win it all, but we would rather lose billions of dollars so that we can allow some internet nerds to win an argument 20 years down the line. I mean, are you that dense?

As for the Clippers comment, they were supposed to advance time after time, they did that one time, at the expense of the Spurs, but you keep putting up conspiracy theories out there.
    SMH your not knowing how Vegas works. $$$$$

Nice backpedeal / subject change on Pop vs Doc Rivers in the 2015 Clippers series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SMH your not knowing how Vegas works. $$$$$

Nice backpedeal / subject change on Pop vs Doc Rivers in the 2015 Clippers series.
    Show me how Vegas works, its all about which team is hot on the tables, and they adjust the odds to always make money, it's not that hard. The more a team is the favourite, the worse the odds.

And nice showing you don't even know what backpedal / subject change means, neither were applicable. Rivers won one series. 27 years and you found one series that Pop didn't do well in. Yes, that will show your point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rivers won one series.
    The topic was Championship rosters with a flame out before the Finals.
    Rivers v Popped only ever happened the 1 year that i recall.
    True to form, Pop got worked.
    If you're aware of other Pop v Doc playoff series, please post.

BTW i don't know that the Spurs would have went on to Chip, but vs the super lucky injury benefitted Warriors they surely had a chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GNob
    18 years old when signed first pro contract.

Kinder Bologna (BTW is that a lunchmeat brand name?), which he helped win the 2001 Italian League Championship,
    the 2001 and 2002 Italian Cups, and the 2001 EuroLeague, where he was named the 2001 EuroLeague's Finals MVP.
    He was also named the Italian League MVP in 2000–01 and 2001–02, and made the Italian League's All-Star Game three times during this period.

While playing with the Argentina national team at the 2002 FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis, Ginóbili made the All-Tournament Team, alongside future NBA star Yao Ming and established NBA stars Dirk Nowitzki and Peja Stojaković,[32] and helped lead Argentina to a second-place finish.[5]

So GNob had 6 freaking YEARS of pro hoop before joining the Spurs. As quoted, Pops tried to change his game for 2 more additional years before realizing how Manu played.

Any nonsense that Pop "developed" young GNob is sub zero BBIQ info.

Thread Information