Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this is why I preferred to reroll the dice on the Raps pick.
    Nah, we already have 2-4 picks coming next year, don't need another one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a pretty bleak podcast. He had heard from 8 teams, and one said the draft starts with the first 8 picks amputated, and one said the first 10.
    I disagree a bit. I think we can say the top five picks last year stay in place, even if Scoot looks a bit uncertain. Alien-Miller-Scoot-Amen-Ausar.

But then you have Anthony Black, who is pretty similar to Stephon Castle. Then it's Coulibaly, Jarace Walker, Taylor Hendricks, Cason Wallace, Jett Howard.

I don't think any of those are obvious over the best of the 2024 draft. Most of them, frankly, aren't. In fact, I'd put Dillingham as a firm #6.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham is only slight larger than Caitlyn Clark, who people say wouldn't be able to play with men because she'd get bullied around the court too easily. Just for some perspective

(Dilly still #3 on my board, and I'd take Clark in a heartbeat if the rules allowed)
    Dude, stop day drinking. Ms Clark is a great ladies player, but she'd get killed playing against men. The athleticism gap is just WAY too big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lesson for teams with supers ions: the three teams with the best lottery luck today either sent their coach (Rockets) or their GM (Spurs, Hawks) to the lottery.

Stop sending players to this .
    It was so awkward that they interviewed Scottie Barnes from Toronto and he was like "can't wait to see who we get" and then Toronto loses their pick, LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, let's sum it up...

Dillingham is better than Trae Young, and a better shooting Tony Parker...

Anything more, guys?

I'm taking notes for my big board.
    At their respective ages yes, I would take this Dillingham over that Tony Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At their respective ages yes, I would take this Dillingham over that Tony Parker.
    Skillsets yes. But 19 yrs old Tony Parker was driven (ever since he stepped in the basketball court). He was going to be better than everybody. We don’t know yet from Dilly. But that “it” factor is what propelled TP to greatness, with much needed help from Timmy of course, allowing TP to become the HOFer that he would be. Does Dilly have that “it?” Time would tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if your point is that Dilly's ceiling > first ballot HOFer, 4 time NBA champion, Finals MVP, 6 time all star, starting at 19 on a contender... well, maybe we should all come down a little and get back to reality reagarding this draft... We'll see but nor Dilly or most of this year's lottery guards might even be starting material.

By curiosity and for perspective, I checked the 2001 draft. And man... (I'll let anyone make the comparisons he wants with this year's). There might be 5 guys around the 20s that I would take top 5 this year, and 10 guys after top 10 I would take top 10 this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d go Castle at 4 and hope he can at least partly be our PG solution. Edey at 8, he’s running circles around Clingan at the combine just like he did playing against him. Edey is a can’t miss prospect, Brook Lopez on steroids. And yes, he CAN shoot the 3 ball OMG who knew!?!

Mocking Clingan as high as 2, when you could get Edey later, ludicrous!
    100%. What are people thinking? Edey was faster than Clingan, did better in the agility drills than Clingan, is bigger than Clingan, shot better than Clingan and outperformed in head-to-head compe ion. Could UConn make it to the Final 4 without Clingan--maybe. Would Purdue even be in the tournament without Edey--maybe not. Any GM taking Clingan with Edey still available is a moron.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never gets old...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree a bit. I think we can say the top five picks last year stay in place, even if Scoot looks a bit uncertain. Alien-Miller-Scoot-Amen-Ausar.

But then you have Anthony Black, who is pretty similar to Stephon Castle. Then it's Coulibaly, Jarace Walker, Taylor Hendricks, Cason Wallace, Jett Howard.

I don't think any of those are obvious over the best of the 2024 draft. Most of them, frankly, aren't. In fact, I'd put Dillingham as a firm #6.
    And you’re free to do so. I’m just passing on info from Ryen who communicates with people actually in NBA front offices.

My opinion is that I’d take Cason Wallace #1 in this draft. He’s more complete than any player in 2024, having the ability to handle, pass, shoot, and play defense. All of the 2024 shooters are on defense, and all of the defenders have crap 3 pointers.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't. Parker looked very fast and I knew he would be something special by his ability to blow past people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And you’re free to do so. I’m just passing on info from Ryen who communicates with people actually in NBA front offices.

My opinion is that I’d take Cason Wallace #1 in this draft. He’s more complete than any player in 2024, having the ability to handle, pass, shoot, and play defense. All of the 2024 shooters are on defense, and all of the defenders have crap 3 pointers.
    That's the thing about this draft. There don't seem to have any guy with potential as a complete or all around player. That's mainly one or two qualities/ several big flaws players.

That's why, despite his playmaking issues, I guess Risacher, as a long, somehow versatile guy with good defense and a shooting you hope could develop as a reliable/good one to get a solid, two way starting wing if everything goes well, and Sarr as a mobile, rim protector, are that high, and potentially top 2.

I won't go as far as talking about guarantees, but they are the closest, or the least far, to have shown palpable elements you can imagine would transalte in the NBA and make them valuable contributors... It's a bit more uncertain for the other prospects.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 10:05 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't. Parker looked very fast and I knew he would be something special by his ability to blow past people.
    I agree with you here. Parker over Dilly at their respective ages, and it isn't even close....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s no where near TP athletic ability - he wont be getting to the rim and putting pressure on teams like that. It’s a huge reason why his value is questionable. A small guard that’s not an Uber athlete that is not a 3 level scorer but one that relies on jump shots without the ability to penetrate consistently like a TP
    TP was incredible with his speed and ability to get to the rim and finish. I kind of wanted Gary Payton (Didn't the Sonics put in an offer one of those seasons?), but TP showed that he has "it" in the playoff series against the Sonics going right at Gary Payton. TP also had toughness from the get-go. I don't know the players from this upcoming draft well enough to say if any of them can do what TP did his first couple of years in the league against the compe ion he went against.

Brings me to an interesting question, I usually look at SGs when looking at this category because they can also finish over the top, but where would you guys rank TP as far as guards, or just PGs go that can penetrate at will and take it to the rack and finish? I remember a few times TP finished as one of the top point scorers in the paint out of all NBA players for some seasons.

I never really think about PGs in this category as they usually can't finish over the top with a dunk or usually have the strength to power through contact and finish, but prime TP has to be up there as far as penetrating and finishing in the paint go.

For shooting guards, the past 30 years or so, I'd have Michael Jordan, Manu, D-Wade as some of the best/most feared penetrators in their athletic primes. These guys in their primes all took it to the rack hard and were looking to score and finish, if they got the foul, it was a bonus, they weren't driving just to draw the foul only. Not sure who I'd have after Manu and D-Wade changed their play style due to injuries/athletic decline 2011/2012 onward, not sure who took over the mantle those seasons. Maybe James Harden, but I find it hard to consider prime James Harden one of them (he is a candidate), but he was looking more to draw contact and/or look for touch fouls more than finishing regardless of the contact. He also took a ton of threes, so again, that kind of takes him out of it for me. A prime Lebron? Maybe more a bully with his physical size rather than a penetrator.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker played pro league in France before the draft

People knew he was going to be special, he turned down NCAA offers to go back to play in France for another year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker played pro league in France before the draft

People knew he was going to be special, he turned down NCAA offers to go back to play in France for another year.
    Good, not special

Wemby is sipecial

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP was incredible with his speed and ability to get to the rim and finish. I kind of wanted Gary Payton (Didn't the Sonics put in an offer one of those seasons?), but TP showed that he has "it" in the playoff series against the Sonics going right at Gary Payton. TP also had toughness from the get-go. I don't know the players from this upcoming draft well enough to say if any of them can do what TP did his first couple of years in the league against the compe ion he went against.

Brings me to an interesting question, I usually look at SGs when looking at this category because they can also finish over the top, but where would you guys rank TP as far as guards, or just PGs go that can penetrate at will and take it to the rack and finish? I remember a few times TP finished as one of the top point scorers in the paint out of all NBA players for some seasons.

I never really think about PGs in this category as they usually can't finish over the top with a dunk or usually have the strength to power through contact and finish, but prime TP has to be up there as far as penetrating and finishing in the paint go.

For shooting guards, the past 30 years or so, I'd have Michael Jordan, Manu, D-Wade as some of the best/most feared penetrators in their athletic primes. These guys in their primes all took it to the rack hard and were looking to score and finish, if they got the foul, it was a bonus, they weren't driving just to draw the foul only. Not sure who I'd have after Manu and D-Wade changed their play style due to injuries/athletic decline 2011/2012 onward, not sure who took over the mantle those seasons. Maybe James Harden, but I find it hard to consider prime James Harden one of them (he is a candidate), but he was looking more to draw contact and/or look for touch fouls more than finishing regardless of the contact. He also took a ton of threes, so again, that kind of takes him out of it for me. A prime Lebron? Maybe more a bully with his physical size rather than a penetrator.
    TP is definitely in elite company when it comes to guard finishing at the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From all of the tape that I have seen on him I really like him and I think he might be one of the most talented players in this draft but I am concerned about his hight and light frame working for him at the NBA level
    He could be Sexton, but he also could be Maxey/Brunson. You just take a swing at him and hope he develops into the latter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP always amazed me the way he’d drive into the lane, disappearing into a crowd of defenders, only to see the ball pop up & into the basket as he came squirting out of the crowd falling down on his backside. Then he’d just get up & run back to the other end, or to the FT line for his +1.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good, not special
    Classic spurfan take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JPB: So Spurstalk thinks Dilly is better than Trae Young and Tony Parker...

Spurstalk: No one is saying that!!!

Also Spurstalk: Here are all the reasons why Dilly is better than Trae Young and Tony Parker...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classic spurfan take.
    Spursy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could be Sexton, but he also could be Maxey/Brunson. You just take a swing at him and hope he develops into the latter.
    Sexton finished 55th (21st offensively) in the league in EPM (Estimated Plus-Minus), considered one of the best publicly available advanced "catch-all" metrics by stat geeks in and out of the league alike.

Sure, he's not much of a play maker or defender and he doesn't shoot enough 3's, but he's a legitimately explosive/efficient scorer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JPB: So Spurstalk thinks Dilly is better than Trae Young and Tony Parker...

Spurstalk: No one is saying that!!!

Also Spurstalk: Here are all the reasons why Dilly is better than Trae Young and Tony Parker...
    I mean, I think Trae Young completely sucks and will always suck. I get why he gets butts in the seats, but he's a pure loser. Especially if it took trading for him with players and picks, absolutely not. But even if I could get either player with the #4 pick this year, I'd take Dillingham. He's not a ball-stopper (if he may be ball-dominant, a potential problem), he makes snap decisions when Trae doesn't, and he at least has some hope of improving on defense. And he won't cost $40-$60 million a year.

I've never really compared him to Tony Parker, personally. I do think Rob can develop a floater game and improve his interior scoring, although Parker was at another level. They're just very different players.

Thread Information