Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can definitely see the Spurs bringing 18 contracts into camp and figuring it out from there. Plenty of non-guaranteed deals on this roster or guys who are easy enough to move off of (Branham, Wesley) if they are clearly beaten out by someone else. I'm not overly concerned about a roster logjam, the back half of the roster isn't talented enough to worry about.
    Agreed. People seem to have it stuck in their heads we keeping this bag of s that is this current roster along with the incoming draft picks. As the Spurs build a contender the bulk of them will be long gone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why no one talking about Terrence Shannon best player in the draft?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be very surprised to see Clingan get nabbed by Washington OR Houston. Canvassing the Washington boards, they are heavily into a point - likely Topic - and Clingan would just get in Sengun's way. Houston badly needs shooting. I see the Rockets taking either Risacher or Sheppard. Sheppard feels like a great fit next to a big guard like Amen.

My outside bet right now for the Spurs is Buzelis. I realize his shooting really disappointed, but Ignite was a horrible environment for all their players. He was a good shooter in high school. He has the size, the speed and agility, and skillset that could help slot into the starting lineup. I hope they don't go for Risacher. Simply too limited a player this high.

Then it's to see who is there at 8. If the top four go Sarr-Topic-(Risacher/Sheppard)-Buzelis, then at 8 there will be a Castle, Sheppard, or Dillingham left. I don't think DET-CHA-POR will take Dillingham at all. I'm not sure the Spurs would, either, but if he tops out as a super bench scorer and not a starter, taking him at 8 is much more palatable.
    I agree with most of this.

Houston and Shepherd makes too much sense. I don’t think they take discount Jabari Parker in Risacher. Dilly with Green, two chuckers, also make little sense. But i can see this as a Clingan home given their recent interest in Steven Adams (I’ve read that elsewhere). Sengun can’t hold down the C alone.

The Buzelus v Richaser decision at 4 will be closer than we think. I favor Zach at the moment, but it’s close. If the Spurs think they can fix Matas’ shot, it’ll be hard to pass on him given everything else he brings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the Spurs taking Castle or Risacher at 4, trading the 8th & ATL’s picks back for Murray. Then we just need a scrappy back up center that can give other large frontlines problems & to hold it down when Wemby is on the bench

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the Spurs taking Castle or Risacher at 4, trading the 8th & ATL’s picks back for Murray. Then we just need a scrappy back up center that can give other large frontlines problems & to hold it down when Wemby is on the bench
    F that. They’re not getting those picks back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. People seem to have it stuck in their heads we keeping this bag of s that is this current roster along with the incoming draft picks. As the Spurs build a contender the bulk of them will be long gone
    Probably, and I can't predict what they're gonna do, but I'm not sure they're gonna give up on Branham and Wesley that easily, which would be 2 lost picks only after 2 years, even though they were 20s pick...

I don't know where both could have been picked this year (maybe lottery) but if spurs pick another two who happen to be meh in an average dradt, that becomes a problem and that's where the "proven talent vs. picks" debate chimes in, and why picks have lost trade value throughout the year in the NBA (and why teams have to heavily pack them to get a star in return)... If you keep "losing" picks on players who won't do it, you not only don't improve the roster but degrade your trading abilities.

That's also what a team like Detroit must be thnking and I ofc do hope whoever spurs would pick this year would succeed, but I also believe trading one or two of the picks for provent talent (or a star in a bigger trade) to improve this team around Wemby is definitely something PATFO won't exclude.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a view basically NO ONE is talking about.

These picks I'm hearing about, would virtually guarantee the Spurs would stay near, or at, the bottom of the league in Defense. Getting old watching every commentator focus on Offense.
    The Spurs biggest issue was Defense. They had none. This makes it even worse.

You don't win playoff games without Defense. Repeat...you DON'T win playoff games without Defense. Just look at the defensive rankings of the teams in the playoffs now. 3 of the Top 4 defensive teams are STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS. The other is ranked 11.

The Spurs Defense in the league? #26

"Lets focus on offense, we need more scoring." Grrrr...lol

Basically, these picks would put all the pressure for D on Wemby. SMH

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what you’re basically saying is we giving Atlanta all their picks back plus 8 for Murray … gtfoh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a view basically NO ONE is talking about.

These picks I'm hearing about, would virtually guarantee the Spurs would stay near, or at, the bottom of the league in Defense. Getting old watching every commentator focus on Offense.
    The Spurs biggest issue was Defense. They had none. This makes it even worse.

You don't win playoff games without Defense. Repeat...you DON'T win playoff games without Defense. Just look at the defensive rankings of the teams in the playoffs now. 3 of the Top 4 defensive teams are STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS. The other is ranked 11.

The Spurs Defense in the league? #26

"Lets focus on offense, we need more scoring." Grrrr...lol

Basically, these picks would put all the pressure for D on Wemby. SMH
    The problem is that we need shooting as much as we need defense.

Right now, Wemby's supporting cast is as follows:
    Elite shooters: none.
    Very good shooters: Devin.
    Servicable shooters: Champagnie, Keldon, Tre, Malaki.
    Bad or non-shooters: everyone else.

Elite defenders: none.
    Very good defenders: none.
    Servicable defenders: Devin, Jeremy, Tre, Wesley.
    Bad or useless defenders: everyone else.

That's why I don't get the takes about Risacher not being able to create for himself.
    If his potential is an elite 3-D guy, that's perfect. We don't need five creators on the floor. We got Devin and Wemby, get a triple threat point guard and two wings can be 3-D guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why no one talking about Terrence Shannon best player in the draft?
    Because he's on trial for rape?

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets are going to take a point. Not sure why this is debatable. FVV's deal ends after this season (well, team option). They can grab a guy to be the sixth man this year and then take the reigns next season. Let FVV walk or trade him to someone interested.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst take on the thread. We aren't giving Atlanta all that loot for DJM. Those future ATL picks could be lotto picks at a time when we'll need cheap deals. You can't part with those like that.

Not sure why people are panicking about ATL getting the #1 this season. There's no one in this draft that is going to put them over the top in the east. They'll be on the outside looking in again next year, barring some other unforeseen trade this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's to hoping Sarr ends up being a bust. ATL is still going to trade one of Trae or DJM this off-season cause that backcourt just doesn't work. Prob DJM.

Think the Spurs end up taking Risacher or Buzelis at 4, and then the best guard available at 8. Time will tell. The draft combine this week will help paint a better picture.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's to hoping Sarr ends up being a bust. ATL is still going to trade one of Trae or DJM this off-season cause that backcourt just doesn't work. Prob DJM.

Think the Spurs take Risacher or Buzelis at 4 and then the best guard available at 8. Time will tell. The draft combine this week will paint a better picture.
    Sarr won't be a bust. More likely he'll be a lot better than Spurstsalk expects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, the more I think about it, the more I think the Rockets will take Topic at 3 if Washington doesn't jump on him at 2. FVV isn't a long term solution for them, they need a PG of the future. And having FVV for 1-2 more years would allow Topic time to develop behind him instead of forcing him to play right away. Would be a pretty good situation for him tbh with Jalen Green, Amen Thompson, Sengun, Jabari Smith Jr, Cam Whitmore, Tari Eason, etc . Wiz may not even let him get there though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarr won't be a bust. More likely he'll be a lot better than Spurstsalk expects.
    Don't think be a bust either. At the very least, he'll be a big time defender. I hope it takes him a little longer to develop offensively though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, the more I think about it, the more I think the Rockets will take Topic at 3 if Washington doesn't jump on him at 2. FVV isn't a long term solution for them, they need a PG of the future. And having FVV for 1-2 more years would allow Topic time to develop behind him instead go having to to force him to play right away. Would be a pretty good situation for him tbh. Wiz may not even let him get there though.
    Almost zero chance they take Topic. Amen already fills the PG of the future who cant shoot role.

I think the pick is 50/50 Sheppard v Clingan tbh. They're gonna look at their division + West and see Wemby, Zion, and Joker and realize they'll need a true big to guard them which is why I ultimately think it'll be Clingan.

I do think the Wizards go Topic tbh.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Topic really a great fit for the Spurs?
    A below the rim player who doesn't shoot well who's offense is hoping to beat slower shorter players with layups.

With Wemby there is Wemby going to step aside for Topic's layups to the rim?

Defense can just pack the paint when Topic has the ball.

Really hope the Spurs are not going to draft Topic. What a boring player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost zero chance they take Topic. Amen already fills the PG of the future who cant shoot role.

I think the pick is 50/50 Sheppard v Clingan tbh. They're gonna look at their division + West and see Wemby, Zion, and Joker and realize they'll need a true big to guard them which is why I ultimately think it'll be Clingan.

I do think the Wizards go Topic tbh.
    You may be right. Clingan was my initial lean for their pick, but #3 just seems a little high for an old school archetype Center like him. HOU does need interior defense though, especially in this division as you mentioned, so in a ty draft like this, maybe 3 is just fine for him. Sheppard would be an okay pick I guess, he's just ing small at 6'2. #3 would be really high for him imo, but then again who knows in this ty draft. If it comes down to those two, I think they go Clingan. Much safer pick imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he's on trial for rape?
    He still worth a gamble at #8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Spurs are not going anywhere near Shannon after the Pr*mo debacle. I doubt he even interviews or works out with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still worth a gamble at #8
    LMAO

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Think the Spurs end up taking Risacher or Buzelis at 4, and then the best guard available at 8. Time will tell. The draft combine this week will help paint a better picture.
    They're absolutely trading Dejounte and not Trae. If they trade Trae, their offense is going to have to run through Dejounte, and Spurs fans already know what that's like. Trading Trae means a full rebuild, but they don't have their picks so that doesn't make sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

3 of the top 4 offensive teams (regular season) are still in the POs. 7th ranked also is. (could be 4/4 without Bucks injuries)... Next round should be interesting, as potentially as #1, 2 and 7 offenses (Pacers, Celtics, Mavericks) could be in conferences finals.

(Superior) talent is what wins ships, and mostly offensive superior talent today. You still need defense ofc but as the MIN-DEN series shows, POs are more about team defense and adjustments.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 10:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t like Clingan at all, he got wrecked by Edey. Doesn’t space the floor at all. Most of the same flaws as Edey gets dinged for, minus the post up game. A bit more mobile yes, but not someone I see stepping out to guard the 3 point line. Clingan’s presence in the draft as a high potential pick is the best thing I see about him.
    I like Clingan but i agree that he is primarily valuable to the spurs as somebody who may get drafted ahead of guys we actually want

Thread Information