Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im lukewarm on Trae and Garland, which feel like the only big name PGs that could move in the next 10 months if certain things fall in place (e.g., Mitc stays a CAV).

But I absolutely would approach DET about one of their lead guards this summer. For example, if they get bad luck again and draw #5 and SAS get #3, can they sell two top 5 picks (plus whatever else the Spurs send) to their fanbase for one of Cade or Ivey?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

UTA - Markkanen would be a great fit, …

Doubt it. He can score, and get some rebounds, since he’s tall, but of the top 50 scorers in the NBA, Markkanen has the lowest assist number. Further, his current 2.0 assists per game is the highest of his career. Only Porzingis has an equally low assist number. Even Jaren Jackson Jr is better for assists.

The best teammates for Wemby are players who will look to pass to him when he’s in position to score. So a history of good assist numbers is a factor to emphasize. In his seventh season now, Markkanen’s history for assists is virtually zilch.

Overall, you have many good comments. This is not a general criticism of your post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt it. He can score, and get some rebounds, since he’s tall, but of the top 50 scorers in the NBA, Markkanen has the lowest assist number. Further, his current 2.0 assists per game is the highest of his career. Only Porzingis has an equally low assist number. Even Jaren Jackson Jr is better for assists.

The best teammates for Wemby are players who will look to pass to him when he’s in position to score. So a history of good assist numbers is a factor to emphasize. In his seventh season now, Markkanen’s history for assists is virtually zilch.

Overall, you have many good comments. This is not a general criticism of your post.
    playmaking and getting assists would not be the expectation of markkanen in a spurs jersey. he is the release valve that prevents defenses from over-committing to wemby. with his height and release its very hard to challenge his shot, especially if you are trying to close out from too far way. he's also a good scorer when he puts the ball on the floor off of closeouts, and a great free throw shooter. on a spurs team that is just dreadful offensively at times, you need guys that are just bucket getters.

think of what klay provided for the warriors, even though curry and green were the playmakers

lauri would be great, but i dont see the spurs pulling the trigger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think Lauri would be one of the best fits, but like LeBowen stated, stay away from Ainge. He will your wife and steal your children.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    playmaking and getting assists would not be the expectation of markkanen in a spurs jersey. he is the release valve that prevents defenses from over-committing to wemby. …

The reason for wanting to draw defenders away from Wemby is so that Wemby, himself, will have a better chance to receive the ball for a dunk. But by his history, Markkanen will take the shot instead of passing. Markkanen will never shoot well enough to beat the efficiency of a Wemby dunk. That’s the issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason for wanting to draw defenders away from Wemby is so that Wemby, himself, will have a better chance to receive the ball for a dunk. But by his history, Markkanen will take the shot instead of passing. Markkanen will never shoot well enough to beat the efficiency of a Wemby dunk. That’s the issue.
    by his history, markkanen's 3 point shot is one of the most efficient shots in basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    by his history, markkanen's 3 point shot is one of the most efficient shots in basketball

So you want to trade Wemby for Markkanen. You say?

Markkanen is a career .375 3pt shooter. Call it 38%. Per 100 3pt shots, Markkanen will hit 38 and score 114 pts.

Within 3 ft of the basket this year Wemby is shooting .731. Call it 73%. Per 100 shots close to the basket, Wemby will score 146 pts.

Wemby wins. Easily. No contest. If you allow Markkanen 40% he’ll score 120 and it’s still no contest.

Even tho the team needs 3pt shooting, it needs the kind who will be aware of passing opportunities to Wemby. Wemby’s shooting, close to the basket, will beat 3pt shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you want to trade Wemby for Markkanen. You say?

Markkanen is a career .375 3pt shooter. Call it 38%. Per 100 3pt shots, Markkanen will hit 38 and score 114 pts.

Within 3 ft of the basket this year Wemby is shooting .731. Call it 73%. Per 100 shots close to the basket, Wemby will score 146 pts.

Wemby wins. Easily. No contest. If you allow Markkanen 40% he’ll score 120 and it’s still no contest.

Even tho the team needs 3pt shooting, it needs the kind who will be aware of passing opportunities to Wemby. Wemby’s shooting, close to the basket, will beat 3pt shooting.
    Golly, we should just have Wemby shoot within 3 ft of the basket for 48 minutes. We’d be unbeatable!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    markkanen is a career 38% from three. Victor shoots 73% inside of 3 feet. Give them both 100 tries, and LM scores 114 points to Victor’s 146.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Golly, we should just have Wemby shoot within 3 ft of the basket for 48 minutes. We’d be unbeatable!
    The post that was quoted and responded to mentioned dunks. He was the one saying that Markkanen’s 3 ball was more efficient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you want to trade Wemby for Markkanen.
    yes that’s exactly what i said

markkanen is a career 38% from three. Victor shoots 73% inside of 3 feet. Give them both 100 tries, and LM scores 114 points to Victor’s 146.
    the assumption here is that every markkanen 3 pointer comes at the expense of a Victor fga in the restricted area

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    get mike conley

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signed an extension with a no trade clause

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has this AM Hoops video been posted? Initially I assumed his channel was awful just by the way he talks, but it surprised me in a good way. Well written, well edited segments. He used to be a local media guy.

Anyway, his point is to wait for the next big superstar to want out and go that route, because it is sort of the trend and the spurs would be in a good position. It's not a bad approach.

Edit: JFC. Wrong link. This is it: https://youtu.be/PHfVMA1UNz0?si=dl7cEBiSVEVAmGWA
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 03-19-2024 at 09:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we trade Cedi's hair? His hair is gorgeous rn. It just flowwwwsss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the assumption here is that every markkanen 3 pointer comes at the expense of a Victor fga in the restricted area

Nope. The assumption is that if Markkanen has a chance to shoot a 3pt-er, while Wemby has a chance at a dunk, Markkanen will shoot instead of passing, which is the losing choice. That assumption is based directly on Markkanen’s very low assist rate over his entire career. He would not be a good fit with Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. The assumption is that if Markkanen has a chance to shoot a 3pt-er, while Wemby has a chance at a dunk, Markkanen will shoot instead of passing, which is the losing choice. That assumption is based directly on Markkanen’s very low assist rate over his entire career. He would not be a good fit with Wemby.
    if you just look at and say low assist rate bad then wouldnt that mean markkanen is a poor fit with literally anybody else who can score? i mean yeah, if markkanen starts crossing over and taking pull up step back 3's while wemby has a guy sealed in the restricted area, id say thats bad. i dont think he's that type of player though. 98% of his 3 pointers this year are assisted. his outside shooting comes within the flow and structure of offense

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's your assumption, then your math is wrong.
    Probable Points (Markannen) = P(M 3 pt %)*3 = .38*3 = .114, yep.
    but
    Probable Points (Wemby) = P(W within 3 ft %)*P(successful pass, M to W)*2 = .73*(X)*2

If X is <.781, the team is better off if Markannen shoots...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the Knicks have already proven to not be overly interested in Mitc and the only other glamor market with the assets to get him is probably the Nets, who have no clear path to championship contention, maybe he re-signs after all.

Give the Cavaliers a chance to form a more sensible roster around him, then ask out in a few years when that fails to yield a championship and the landscape in the league has changed.

If so . . .

To Cavaliers: Murphy III, Jones, Graham, Hornets 1st, either Bulls 1st or Hawks '27 1st . . . halfway to more sensible roster, add needed draft capital and make it easier to extend Okoro.

To Pelicans: Wade and Craptors 1st . . . get ahead of looming tax and possible chemistry issues, add reasonable facsimile and more draft capital.

To Spurs: Garland . . . injury prone and overrated, but would be put in position to reclaim fringe star status here playing on ball and without two non shooting bigs.

Before anyone says they'd rather just trade for Murphy III instead of Garland, I don't get the sense he's their type of personality and they'll probably utilize the natural pick on a forward.
    Last edited by TD 21; 03-26-2024 at 03:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the Knicks have already proven to not be overly interested in Mitc and the only other glamor market with the assets to get him is probably the Nets, who have no clear path to championship contention, maybe he re-signs after all.

Give the Cavaliers a chance to form a more sensible roster around him, then ask out in a few years when that fails to yield a championship and the landscape in the league has changed.

If so . . .

To Cavaliers: Murphy III, Jones, Graham, either Bulls 1st or Hawks '27 1st . . . halfway to more sensible roster, add needed draft equity and make it easier to extend Okoro.

To Pelicans: Wade, Craptors 1st and Hornets 1st . . . get ahead of looming tax and possible chemistry issues, add reasonable facsimile and more draft equity.

To Spurs: Garland . . . injury prone and overrated, but would be put in position to reclaim fringe star status here playing on ball and without two non shooting bigs.

Before anyone says they'd rather just trade for Murphy III instead of Garland, I don't get the sense he's their type of personality and they'll probably utilize the natural pick on a forward.
    I’d rather have Jones than Garland.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If so . . .

To Cavaliers: Murphy III, Jones, Graham, Hornets 1st, either Bulls 1st or Hawks '27 1st . . . halfway to more sensible roster, add needed draft capital and make it easier to extend Okoro.

To Pelicans: Wade and Craptors 1st . . . get ahead of looming tax and possible chemistry issues, add reasonable facsimile and more draft capital.

Although, I'm not a big Garland guy, I think that's a pretty fair trade and I'd MUCH rather do that than pay the ransom everyone here seems to think it'll take to get TY.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to take a second to paddle anyone that thought Utah would actually trade Lauri M to us and a side paddle to anyone that only replied with (I like Lauri…)

I don’t see a snowballs chance of that happening?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to take a second to paddle anyone that thought Utah would actually trade Lauri M to us and a side paddle to anyone that only replied with (I like Lauri…)

I don’t see a snowballs chance of that happening?
    I mean, I might like Lauri more than anyone... but even I caveat every discussion about him with the disclaimer that I wouldn't even talk to Ainge in an exploratory manner, he'll find a way to steal a future FRP from you just by picking up the phone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I might like Lauri more than anyone... but even I caveat every discussion about him with the disclaimer that I wouldn't even talk to Ainge in an exploratory manner, he'll find a way to steal a future FRP from you just by picking up the phone.
    I've never understood the fear of dealing with Ainge some have here. I get it that he likes to bend people over in trades, but there's a solution to that. Just offer what you think 'player x'' is worth, and if he wants the moon, just day 'no thanks'. I'd never shy away from a deal because of who the GM is, I just wouldn't accept a bad deal...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never understood the fear of dealing with Ainge some have here. I get it that he likes to bend people over in trades, but there's a solution to that. Just offer what you think 'player x'' is worth, and if he wants the moon, just day 'no thanks'. I'd never shy away from a deal because of who the GM is, I just wouldn't accept a bad deal...
    mo, you gotta understand... talking to Danny Ainge is like Sydney Sweeny asking you if you can help her move. You don't want to... and you know you can just say no... but you never say no. Then you end up throwing your back out lifting a couch, but you don't want to show any weakness in front of Sydney Sweeny so you just keep lifting boxes. You and Sydney share a few laughs, and you think you are really connecting... then she gives you a slice of pizza and two room temperature beers and tells you that she has to go because her and her BF have dinner reservations but thanks for all your help!

There is no escaping Danny Ainge's sweet talking. Just don't pick up the phone. Best to block his number.

Thread Information