Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question about the Mavs- Did they yank to get a top 10 pick because they want to use it or trade it? Does a rookie really help build around Luka?
    ask cuban, but the trade protections are use it or lose it, so it's more about getting anything vs nothing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question about the Mavs- Did they yank to get a top 10 pick because they want to use it or trade it? Does a rookie really help build around Luka?
    Depends on what rookie. I could see they going for Taylor Hendricks or Dereck Lively, I think they'd help. But there's a good chance they package the pick for some veteran help, if they re-sign Kyrie they should add front court help and defense, they can't trade '24-'26 & '28-'29, but they can trade '27 and swap rights on '26 & '28. So they could wait until draft night, arrange the pick with some third party, then trade:
    draft rights to the pick (likely 10) + unrestricted '27 + unrestricted '26, '28, '30 swaps. That's more than enough if they play their cards right. IMO they should go for a Lakers kind of return for the pick they sent to Utah ('27 top 4 protected): Jarred Vanderbilt, Malik Beasley, D'Angelo Russell (I'd prefer Conley, but whatever).
    A smart and timely use of their assets could replenish their depth and put them in the playoffs long term, though not enough for contention IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on what rookie. I could see they going for Taylor Hendricks or Dereck Lively, I think they'd help. But there's a good chance they package the pick for some veteran help, if they re-sign Kyrie they should add front court help and defense, they can't trade '24-'26 & '28-'29, but they can trade '27 and swap rights on '26 & '28. So they could wait until draft night, arrange the pick with some third party, then trade:
    draft rights to the pick (likely 10) + unrestricted '27 + unrestricted '26, '28, '30 swaps. That's more than enough if they play their cards right. IMO they should go for a Lakers kind of return for the pick they sent to Utah ('27 top 4 protected): Jarred Vanderbilt, Malik Beasley, D'Angelo Russell (I'd prefer Conley, but whatever).
    A smart and timely use of their assets could replenish their depth and put them in the playoffs long term, though not enough for contention IMO.
    I think I'm in your camp to a degree on this. I think they are going to re-sign Kyrie and use this pick in a trade to add some front court help. I don't see where we really have anything that makes sense for both sides, but their pick being on the market may help establish value for other picks that might be available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I'm in your camp to a degree on this. I think they are going to re-sign Kyrie and use this pick in a trade to add some front court help. I don't see where we really have anything that makes sense for both sides, but their pick being on the market may help establish value for other picks that might be available.
    Interesting. I would do KBD+SRP+Bassey/Mamu/Barlow for that #10 pick. Pretty sure Dallas won’t lol
    Last edited by barakz21; 04-16-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. I would do KBD+SRP+Bassey/Mamu/Barlow for that #10 pick. Pretty sure Dallas won’t lol
    This line of thinking is probably where the #10 for Sochan rumors came from(i know you were joking)...looking at it from a Mavs perspective without considering that your trade partner would remotely consider that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This line of thinking is probably where the #10 for Sochan rumors came from(i know you were joking)...looking at it from a Mavs perspective without considering that your trade partner would remotely consider that.
    I wasn’t joking lol. I do know Dallas won’t ever do that trade. But I want to think 10/10 if a scenario presents itself where you get to keep the young guns, add a second lottery pick and only give up serviceable vets or your dudes who are fighting for minutes/roster spots, then the Spurs would definitely do that trade.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i absolutely love it.

i had one take and stuck to it.

everyone else in this thread: "you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong ... ... ... damn, you were right ... ... ... lol, you're wrong!"

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i love the dallas implosion btw. i am here for it

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    OP is here.

i posted this when the spurs were #1 in the division.

they ended up dead last in the conference two years later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if we do end up drafting Victor then we need to spend some money around him while he is still cheap. What do y’all think about Austin Reaves? He seems exactly like the type of player that we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if we do end up drafting Victor then we need to spend some money around him while he is still cheap. What do y’all think about Austin Reaves? He seems exactly like the type of player that we need.
    He’ll be cheap for at least three years, four if you can talk him into signing a new contract instead of an extension. I think you need to see how he’s going to play, and where he’s going to play before you run off on a wild spending spree. Evaluate the situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP is here.

i posted this when the spurs were #1 in the division.

they ended up dead last in the conference two years later.
    Your concept of "future" is pathetic, and made further embarrasing by having lived through 20 years of blessed future in Duncan. What can I tell you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its funny that he mentions going from 1rsr in the div to second worse like its some great prophecy. The spurs went on a pretty linear decline and chose to tank which is what op always wanted.

So many people treat hindsight as objective truth of wisdom. Im pretty sure op would say Houston would do better given his simplistic worldview that “tank equals good“. Its all about odds and contingencies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your concept of "future" is pathetic, and made further embarrasing by having lived through 20 years of blessed future in Duncan. What can I tell you.
    Is two years not future? Color me lost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has officially become the thread to post news on division rivals, right?

Ime interviewing with Houston on Wednesday. I'm hoping that doesn't come to pass. I'd like for him to stay in the pool as Pop-successor if possible. If Tony can bag a teammate's wife, I've got no beef with some executive (who presumably can't shoot or rebound) having to deal with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has officially become the thread to post news on division rivals, right?

Ime interviewing with Houston on Wednesday. I'm hoping that doesn't come to pass. I'd like for him to stay in the pool as Pop-successor if possible. If Tony can bag a teammate's wife, I've got no beef with some executive (who presumably can't shoot or rebound) having to deal with it.
    They honeys are probably way better in H-Town than they are in Boston. Go slay, Ime!

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    ^^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they attracted Shaq and Kobe out of it.

I am not sure what the issues were the last few years, perhaps with an increasingly digital world players no longer feel they need to be in LA to make it into the entertainment industry. But the lifestyle, opportunities to be seen, the glamour is still unmatched in another NBA city, or any North American city, period.
    That is if you like that lifestyle and want to be seen. As you said, you'll never be more exposed than on Twitter and IG and LA has lost a lot of its appeal for the younger generations. It's not that trendy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I can imagine you'd be lost if you're missing the point of this thread. There's a post by OP, which I'm too lazy to go quote but you can easily find ITT, where he explicitly states: "this thread is about the future future". Because yes, we have discussed the immediate before.

So yes, I would not call 2 years the future at all. Two years is absolutely not what I or you might think of when people say a team is "well set up for the future", now is it?

E: you can also pretty easily go back, read the discussion, and see what my actual problem with this thread (stupid reactionism and in-the-moment, self-gloating "analysis") has always been. I distinctly remember my quote, summing up my position all too well, of "if the Spurs get Wemby, the entire outlook of the future changes", and the same is true for every team in the lottery.

But nooo, OP just cannot wait until the draft and beyond to reach for that sweet, sweet validation. Kinda weird but whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its funny that he mentions going from 1rsr in the div to second worse like its some great prophecy. The spurs went on a pretty linear decline and chose to tank which is what op always wanted.

So many people treat hindsight as objective truth of wisdom. Im pretty sure op would say Houston would do better given his simplistic worldview that “tank equals good“. Its all about odds and contingencies
    Yeah, like it's some dramatic indicator

OMFG!!! We're bottom in the division in a year the team decided to commit to a full tank from season's start!!! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ime going to coach the Rockets. Do not like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rockets will improve now. If they get Wemby then we are kinda ed. They should go all in on Harden if they do Land Wemby though bc they have zero PG play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rockets will improve now. If they get Wemby then we are kinda ed. They should go all in on Harden if they do Land Wemby though bc they have zero PG play
    You see the udoka hire? They hired a serious villain coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a complete mess that would be with Harden. Might help Jabari for a couple years. For all their top draft picks they don't have a lot of talent. Their best guy was drafted 16.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    What a complete mess that would be with Harden. Might help Jabari for a couple years. For all their top draft picks they don't have a lot of talent. Their best guy was drafted 16.
    Rumor is Harden and or Jaylen Brown may want to come. Trades will occur though.

Thread Information