Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol people want to act sensible when things aren’t going their way but after game 1 happened, they acted like that was all the evidence they needed. Not directed towards you specifically, just saying I’ve been noticing these types of posts.

I bet you if the Spurs lose game 5, people who said four games isn’t enough will say that five games is enough
    I think you take game thread comments too seriously bro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A way too early, post-tank modernist view of things:

Let's say come January we are in the 5th seed, and things appear far less fluky than they do now...

We're sitting on first rounders and swaps from CHA, CHI, and ATL. Could we be buyers?
    I don't see anything out there worth buying, tbh. The only way I'm trading away first rounders is if we really surpass expectations and it seems like we are a go to guy away and Durant makes himself available again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see anything out there worth buying, tbh. The only way I'm trading away first rounders is if we really surpass expectations and it seems like we are a go to guy away and Durant makes himself available again.
    In the entire league?!? In all seriousness... players unexpectedly move sometimes (Halliburton last year comes to mind)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A way too early, post-tank modernist view of things:

Let's say come January we are in the 5th seed, and things appear far less fluky than they do now...

We're sitting on first rounders and swaps from CHA, CHI, and ATL. Could we be buyers?
    There's actually a thread still on the main page touching on this: https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...5#post10820125

I do think the Spurs could be sneaky buyers under the right cir stances. They can take back a good player on an undesirable contract or even use some of their spare assets. I wouldn't trade the ATL picks for anything but a star, and the Chicago pick shouldn't be on the table for most things. But seconds, the Charlotte pick or even a well-protected pick from the Spurs? Maybe. The team doesn't need a PG to just exist, but if they were trying to take a step forward, a good young PG could work. They could also use a legit sixth-man if Primo isn't one of the reasons the Spurs are in that position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's actually a thread still on the main page touching on this: https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...5#post10820125

I do think the Spurs could be sneaky buyers under the right cir stances. They can take back a good player on an undesirable contract or even use some of their spare assets. I wouldn't trade the ATL picks for anything but a star, and the Chicago pick shouldn't be on the table for most things. But seconds, the Charlotte pick or even a well-protected pick from the Spurs? Maybe. The team doesn't need a PG to just exist, but if they were trying to take a step forward, a good young PG could work. They could also use a legit sixth-man if Primo isn't one of the reasons the Spurs are in that position.
    Thanks for the link. Love threads like this simply as a brain exercise, not that I think it will actually happen (though the brain exercise thread I started last year, "what would it take to trade DJM", turned out to be quite prescient.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should only buy something that makes them legit contenders or gives them a path to contendership. Look at the champs of the last 10 years. It’s only been these guys that have lead teams to championships.

Steph
    Giannis
    LeBron
    Kawhi
    Durant

What’s out there that elevates the Spurs to contender status? There’s only a few gettable guys that do that. Durant is the most gettable. Luka and Jokic ain’t going anywhere, same with Lebron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should only buy something that makes them legit contenders or gives them a path to contendership. Look at the champs of the last 10 years. It’s only been these guys that have lead teams to championships.

Steph
    Giannis
    LeBron
    Kawhi
    Durant

What’s out there that elevates the Spurs to contender status? There’s only a few gettable guys that do that. Durant is the most gettable. Luka and Jokic ain’t going anywhere, same with Lebron.
    While that's true, you also aren't getting one of those guys with a mid-first round pick (like CHA or CHI's). Point being, we have the ability to upgrade the roster while also not completely ruining our shot at a generational talent if it comes to pass via some lottery luck on our own picks or ATL's.

I hate the idea of we shouldn't do anything to elevate the roster unless it is for a top 5-10 player in the league, and that since we can't win without them, we should otherwise just be tanking. The extreme binary "contend or tank" model just ain't that fun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Steph
    Giannis
    LeBron
    Kawhi
    Durant

I thought following the Spurs for so long, people would already know… Spurs are not attracting any of those Tier 1 players ever.. The only way the Spurs get a franchise player is through draft. Possibly a disgruntled Tier 1 that would demand multiple unprotected FRP’s in return. But I doubt PATFO would do and gamble its long term future who relies heavily on draft. The way I see it, the Spurs can replicate the Beautiful Game with 2 or 3 AS caliber players, and a bunch of solid unselfish players. It requires a strong synergy through multiple years of experience. I think if Keldon/Devin/Sochan could turn into AS caliber, then a solid number of role players of Tre/Primo/Brahnam/Wesley. I sincerely believe it’s possible for the current roster to get there given they all improve. 2013-14 Beautiful Game didn’t really have a Tier 1 player. The Big 3 were all if not nearing past their prime. Kawhi was a budding star but still not as dominant as he is now. But they went b2b in the Finals almost beating prime LeBron and Banana Boat twice. But then again, Spurs get lucky and draft either Victor or Scoot, then it expedite the rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have had 4 games. 1 was close against sixers and we got a run to close them out.

2 of them we had huge leads and could not put them away. Murray was pretty good in the 4th. When games become close again, I feel our youngsters will struggle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have had 4 games. 1 was close against sixers and we got a run to close them out.

2 of them we had huge leads and could not put them away. Murray was pretty good in the 4th. When games become close again, I feel our youngsters will struggle.
    As they should……..again, wins are less important than development. Our team is young but at least we see promise; enjoy the process big dawg!

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re-sign kawhi!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You know Pop is still teaching when he left Primo in there while TWolves were making their come back. And only put Tre back but not until Primo had some exposures on how to weather a storm. I’m sure Pop could care less about the record. This season is about teaching, and if they win games then he’s getting through them.
    Last edited by John B; 10-26-2022 at 12:00 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree a lot with the OP. DJM I see was more about himself, the way he talks and a stat padder suspect. He’s all about himself, prove himself, growing up from the street, escaping. I’m happy he found his way in the NBA, but too much chip for me and too volatile as he will implode when cornered likeva stray dog. That squable with Pop comes to mind, and turned me off against him. I don’t think he got even a midge of what Tony got. But you didn’t see Tony not even raised an eyebrow. DJM and his passive/aggressive at ude, instagram, media craving, ball hog. His iso style would slow down the pace and allowed defender to catch up. His pouting and fake submission would confuse the young players. Spurs are better off without that punk.
    Ya Poor Tony.

Had to try to produce with teamates of Timmy Dunkar, GNob, DRob, Robert Horry, Bowen defending the arc. Steve Kerr bailing his ass out big time in the playoffs.

Meanwhile DJ Murray had....do i really have to post the Bryn Bryn n Paddy Mills picture again?

Apples and oranges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll look to make a thread about this once a legit sample size comes in and if this still holds up, but Johnson is currently having his worst defensive year -- which is impressive because he's been a bad defender his whole career. A lot of people seem to think Keldon is playing his "natural position" and showing success, but that's not really the case. It's very true that going from McDermott next to him and instead having legit size, not having Walker and Forbes and Eubanks all help. But he's grading out worse than Walker last year so far. Walker this year is grading out significantly better defensively. Mind you, Lonnie's not good still, but Johnson is just that bad. It's not clear if Johnson at SF is actually better than Johnson at PF, but it's obvious that Sochan at PF is better than McDermott at SF.

Keldon's on-off is amazing right now, so it's not far to call him a net-negative player. But in a lot of net stats, he's a clear negative despite his raw numbers. This isn't to say him playing SF has been bad for him personally -- he's always been a net-negative. The hope is that like Murray he just figures it out one year and becomes a huge net-positive. I just think it's something to monitor, because we might want to be more skeptical as to what he's doing. Vassell doesn't warrant the same skepticism right now. He's showing improved net stats, to the point that he's neutral or better in everything but on-off. He's a negative there, but it sort of makes sense since his backup has been insane this year too.

I'm curious to see how badly Vassell's absence affects the team. If these stats are indicative, the team should really struggle in Devin's absence in a way they wouldn't've in Johnson's absence. If on-off is the more indicative stat, then Primo getting a bigger role in place of Vassell might improve the team's performance. I don't believe it will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His per minute salary must be amazing these days!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His per minute salary must be amazing these days!

What did / does Balmer do for his money.
    Thought i read he is the richest NBA owner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What did / does Balmer do for his money.
    Thought i read he is the richest NBA owner.
    He sells Kawhi drama, beats Netflix

The guy was with Bill Gates in the early years of Microsoft, sold part of his stocks for almost a billion dollars. Now 9th richest man. Too bad he can’t afford

Thread Information