PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Can Learn From Tim Duncan

duncan228
03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-mside2608mar26,0,4637262.story

The Magic's young Dwight Howard can learn from Spurs veteran Tim Duncan
Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer

Tim Duncan doesn't lead the San Antonio Spurs in scoring anymore.

He just leads them.

Duncan, 31, remains the foundation of the team that is going for its fifth NBA title in the past 10 seasons, the consummate leader of the NBA's model franchise.

He still sets the tone.

Younger, more athletic Dwight Howard -- arguably the league's best center today -- had more points and more rebounds, but Duncan got the 107-97 victory. He usually does.

"The most important, most significant advantage that we have over a lot of teams is that our best player is also unbelievably coachable, unbelievably team-oriented," said Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich. "It all starts with Tim."

Howard finished with 24 points, 21 rebounds and two blocked shots, compared to Duncan with 19 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks. But two of those blocks came against Howard late in the third quarter when the Spurs took control of the game.

If Howard -- the rising star -- is looking for someone to copy, he doesn't need to look any further than Duncan, who has the resume he would like to build.

Howard, clearly the more athletic, jumped over Duncan to steal a rebound late in the game. Howard posterized Duncan in a victory last season, dunking right over his outstretched hand. Yet it's still Duncan who goes about the business of winning in the most low-key manner of any star in the league.

"We won this one tonight, and if I did my part to help us, I'm happy," he said. "We're just slow and steady."

The Spurs were led by Manu Ginobili, their high-energy reserve who had 28 points. He hit 10 of 19 shots and all seven of his free throws. Michael Finley had 24 points. Tony Parker had 11 points and nine assists.

Duncan is averaging less than 20 points (19.6 ppg) for just the second time in his career, yet he is coming off his ninth consecutive all-star appearance. He is the example of a great player, who can make an average player look good.

He did it superbly on one play in the second half when he grabbed a rebound, firing it to journeyman guard Jacque Vaughn before he even hit the floor. Vaughn was so wide open, he could have counted to 10 before hitting the shot.

"Timmy makes my job, everyone's job easier," said Parker. "When you have a dominating guy inside, it gives everyone opportunities. The Magic will be able to do the same with Dwight Howard. For us, he [Duncan] is a great example to follow. He is why this team has been successful so long. He plays hard, practices hard and always comes to work. He doesn't take days off. When your star does that, it works."

Sigz
03-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Tim Duncan is god.

dreamcastrocks
03-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Just about everyone can learn from Duncan. Let's create an article for every player in the league......

urunobili
03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
i don;t think D12 will EVER get close to Tim in his NBA career... the kid took the wrong role models and attitude.. Tim is a unique thing that will be remembered as one of the all time greats... his humbleness is what makes him the best ever... Tim is STILL the best basketball player in the world...

robbie380
03-26-2008, 09:44 AM
howard can learn to have better teammates?

MoSpur
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Imagine of Tim had Dwights athleticism (spelled right?)?

ambchang
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
To me, D12 can learn more from the game of Robinson than Duncan. Duncan is unique in a way that his game is more cerebral than athletic, there aren't really that many big man in NBA history who dominated without being a top notch athlete.

stretch
03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
To me, D12 can learn more from the game of Robinson than Duncan. Duncan is unique in a way that his game is more cerebral than athletic, there aren't really that many big man in NBA history who dominated without being a top notch athlete.
Well, I think learning from Duncan would be great, because Howard's problem is that he relies too much on his athleticism. He needs to find other ways to be more effective than just on pure athleticism.

xtremesteven33
03-26-2008, 09:55 AM
im gonna cry the day Duncan retires....seriously....

Brutalis
03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
That's truth.

Brutalis
03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I won't cry but tears will be rolling down the cheek. Just like for DRob.

dbreiden83080
03-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Me too, we will never see another one like him and we'll miss him forever.

ancestron
03-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Tim Duncan's block on Howard at the rim made me spill my beer.

Kermit
03-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Tim Duncan's block on Howard at the rim made me spill my beer.

Timmy should thank Bruce for that one, as he was blocking the path to the basket.

Galileo
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Imagine of Tim had Dwights athleticism (spelled right?)?

Tim did, when he was 22.

Tim was quicker at 22 than Howard.

cash459
03-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Tim did, when he was 22.

Tim was quicker at 22 than Howard.

:toast ....like i've said before, someone on here has a video montage of Tim in his younger days & he is AMAZING! :wow

and yes, i too will probably cry when he retires..he is one of the greatest to ever play :cry

Dwight needs to start learning how to play with more than athleticism, b/c once that goes, he will have nothing. And although he is a superstar or rising superstar, he is more humble than a lot of jokes in this league (AI, Melo to name a couple)

Rummpd
03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Howard is actually a very religous and thoughtful young man blessed with the athletic ability of David Robinson (but stronger) and the intensity on offense and rebounding of a young Shaq.

However, he needs to develop more defensively to be truly great. Can he? I am more optimistic about him than Amare Stoudemire, who always seems lost out there, and too early to tell about Andrew Bynum.