PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe: Stoudamire a Spur soon?

Spurs Brazil
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/01/mike_monroe_sto.html

Mike Monroe: Stoudamire a Spur soon?

It can't happen until early Wednesday evening, when Damon Stoudamire clears waivers, but it now appears likely the Spurs will sign the 5-foot-10 point guard who on Monday finalized terms of a buyout of his contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Stoudamire had expressed interest in signing with both the Spurs and the Boston Celtics, but seems to have settled on San Antonio as his destination of choice.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who doubles as the team's vice-president of basketball operations, can't speak about Stoudamire until he clears waivers tomorrow night. He did, however, express a high degree of interest before Monday night's game against the Utah Jazz in whether or not Stoudamire had officially gotten out of his deal in Memphis.

The Spurs, in need of additional scoring, also are acutely aware of the frailty of their point guard situation because of the injury that has bothered Tony Parker for nearly two months. Parker's explosiveness has been limited because of a bone spur in his left heel.

Stoudamire averaged 7.3 points in 29 games with the Grizzlies this season, but shot only 39.7 percent, and 38.7 percent from 3-point range. He has been in the league since 1995 and has a career scoring average of 13.8.

Xylus
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Fuck.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Fuck.

Well. It is an even-numbered year after all.

We needed this season's NVE.

dbreiden83080
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
He's a decent player, he won't hurt the team, Spurs are not in a positon right now to be declining help the way they are playing.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't know how I feel about this

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow. I'm not surprised the Spurs signing him. I'm surprised he selected the Spurs instead of Boston. He seemed like the type of player who would want to be in all that hoopla surrounding the Celtics.

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I think he might actually help the Spurs. Not saying he'll come in and light it up. Just saying that this will give TP some much needed rest, which down the line will help the Spurs.

ancestron
01-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Fuck.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I just pray he doesn't regress into another washed up Nick Van Exel II

Spurs Brazil
01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
I just pray he doesn't regress into another washed up Nick Van Exel II

Or C.Ward

Big P
01-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I think this turns out to be a good thing for us.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I hope so, I'd hate to see another shooter who is much better on paper than on the court for the Spurs

The Truth #6
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
He's more of a point guard than Nick. He's obviously regressed a LOT but could help us if Tony can't get straight. But does the team trade someone to not go over the limit? Anyone have economic insights?

nkdlunch
01-29-2008, 02:21 PM
It can't get worse than last night.

temujin
01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Pass on Spanoulis to keep Udrih.
Get rid of Udrih (13 ppg, on 42% from 3s) to keep Washington.
Waive promising Washington to keep scoreless Vaughn.

Now this Stoudamire, a pretty mediocre point guard.

Winning is just a matter of making fewer mistakes than the opposition.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
anything is better then the PG play we have now, I don't see why people are complaining

THE SIXTH MAN
01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
anything is better then the PG play we have now, I don't see why people are complaining
+1 The Spurs have seen Stoudmire enough times this season alone to make a better judgment then some in here complaining.

baseline bum
01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Stoudamire is in better shape than Van Exel ever was as a Spur. And he can shoot 1000 times better than Charlie Ward!

Ward was hitting threes at a pretty high percentage when the Spurs signed him in '04. I don't know what his problem was here. Too wide open or something? Needed a chorus of boos from the home fans to motivate him like when he was in the Garden?

jman3000
01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't know how I feel about this
i agree with this.

he adds a shooting touch... and i guess his addition couldnt hurt TOO bad... but something feels off... maybe it's just too sudden... bad juju.

The Truth #6
Pass on Spanoulis to keep Udrih.
Get rid of Udrih (13 ppg, on 42% from 3s) to keep Washington.
Waive promising Washington to keep scoreless Vaughn.

Now this Stoudamire, a pretty mediocre point guard.

Winning is just a matter of making fewer mistakes than the opposition.

I agree. Washington would have made plenty of mistakes on the court but his energy would be extremely useful right now. At the moment he is probably better at getting to the rim than Parker is.

urunobili
i wish we would have kept Darius... i mean it... anyhow... i think they will shut down tony until after the ASG and this guy can start and get some dimes... Manu may be back to the starting lineup.... not a bad move but i don;t think he'll get any playoff time though

TwoHandJam
01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
This seems like just another confirmation that Parker's heel is worse than we've feared. Stoudamire is a chucker who doesn't play defense. Not exactly your typical Spur.

Duncanoypi
01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
he's great in NBA 2k8...sign him!

THE SIXTH MAN
01-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm pretty sure thats what pop and r.c. are going by at this point. :lol

Warlord23
01-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Why do I feel this officially rings the death-knell on our title prospects this year? Normally they wouldn't even consider touching mighty mouse with a bargepole. The only reason they're interested in bringing a washed-up chucker is to severely reduce Tony's minutes, and even then there is no guarantee that this would allow Parker to recover and find his rhythm in time for the playoffs.

We are not getting past the Mavs, Suns, Lakers, Pistons etc without a completely healthy Parker

barbacoataco
01-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I've been thinking the Spurs woiuld do something about their PG situation. With Parker hurt, and no 3rd string PG, they are kind of thin at that position.

This could be good, if Parker gets more time off.

Long term question--- If Stoudamire really joins the team, and everyone is healthy later on, who gets cut form the 12 man roster? This year's team has 12 active players, not counting a 3rd PG. It seems like either Bonner or Elson could get left off the 12 man roster later on, if everyone's healthy.

naico
01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
hey he did average close to 11 assists for the raptors

CaptainLate
01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
hey he did average close to 11 assists for the raptors

...AND, he's never played with a big man even close to Timmy's caliber. Closest would be RWallace in Portland, but he's not a back to the basket PF. Mighty Mouth will get a consistent number of open looks with Timmy around.

So shut TP down until he "heels". :lol

I don't care if we start the playoffs on the road. Our repeat chances are still great as long as the Big 3 are healthy and the bench is playing solid.

ambchang
01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
:td
Even if Mighty Mouse is in his prime.
No defense chuckers don't belong on the Spurs.

SenorSpur
There is a constant "oh shit" voice going off in my head.

Budkin
Fuck.

Why are you upset?

Budkin
01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
We need someone who can put the ball in the hole... and Tony needs rest. It's not ideal but I'll take it at this point. Wish it was Cassell though.

sa_kid20
01-29-2008, 03:16 PM
At this point i say why not

1Parker1
01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
What's the difference between Vaughn and Stoudamire? A little more offense? So will he be the 3rd string PG?

phxspurfan
01-29-2008, 03:21 PM
We need someone who can put the ball in the hole... and Tony needs rest. It's not ideal but I'll take it at this point. Wish it was Cassell though.

I agree. I just hope Tony gets his rest so we won't need him in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
That sound you hear is the voice of S-Jax, saying "I told u so".

G-Nob
01-29-2008, 03:27 PM
2008 Big Three
Manu, Tim & Mighty Mouse

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:27 PM
That sound you hear is the voice of S-Jax, saying "I told u so".Jack is not a point guard.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 03:32 PM
I wanted Cassell, but saw no problem with Stoudamire.

Vaughn sucks, people.

Please get some perspective.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I wanted Cassell, but saw no problem with Stoudamire.

Vaughn sucks, people.

Please get some perspective.

he wasn't THAT bad against the Jazz last night, but he is not a good back up PG most of the time

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Stoudamire sucks.

Sign him.

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I honestly don't see why people are afraid or upset with this signing. I am sure there are better point guards we all could think of to be a backup, but the chances of them being available for the Spurs to sign are slim to none. I like Vaughn, but think he is a liability on offense and honestly don't think he's that good of a defender. He hustles his tail off and brings the energy and doesn't create too many turnovers, but I think the Spurs might be able to use Stoudamire right now.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 03:40 PM
You suck.

Kill yourself.

Stoudamire > Vaughn

I think we actually get younger with this move.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
You suck.

Kill yourself.

Stoudamire > Vaughn

I think we actually get younger with this move.
He sucks.

Sign him.

Spurminator
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I see this as less of a Vaughn replacement than a temporary Parker/Barry solution. Once they heal up, I wouldn't expect to see Damon get a lot of minutes, if any.

But I could be wrong... and if I am, it means Damon worked out better than expected. So go Damon.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I see this as less of a Vaughn replacement than a temporary Parker/Barry solution. Once they heal up, I wouldn't expect to see Damon get a lot of minutes, if any.

But I could be wrong... and if I am, it means Damon worked out better than expected. So go Damon.Exactly. Parker is what's important here. Parker as one of the big three makes this team win. Not his backup.

ploto
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
That sound you hear is the voice of S-Jax, saying "I told u so".
More likely, Beno Udrih saying "I told you so."

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
You guys are nuts.

Barry going down has nothing to do with this move.

Parker's struggles and Vaughn's ineffectiveness did.

ploto
01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I actually think if the idea is to rest Parker that Stoudamire starts and Vaughn still comes off the bench.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
More likely, Beno Udrih saying "I told you so."That's Beno's myspace saying he=championships.

tav1
01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
At this point i say why not

Because he sucks!

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
You guys are nuts.

Barry going down has nothing to do with this move.

Parker's struggles and Vaughn's ineffectiveness did.Well I'm glad we got someone who sucks.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Stoudamire should not start, but spell Parker instead. He wasn't good enough to start for Memphis anymore.

MoSpur
01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
It just means the Spurs actually want to rest Parker so that his HEEL can have some time to HEAL. I doubt that Pop has lost all hope in Vaughn. He was all over Vaughn in the media last time. Then again, Pop was CIA.

themvp
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
jH-BRZCkQyY

:drunk

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Parker should be shut down for awhile. If Stoudamire is worth all these keystrokes, he should start.

Mr. Body
01-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Mighty Mouse was ROY!

Get Mike Miller too and you have two of the most impressive ROYs of all time!

timmy21_4rings
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
He may not be a typical Spurs guy in terms of character (off the court). But he is better than Vaughan (on court)...Thats what matters. He has handled PG duties as a starter to a good Blazer team (again on-court). He will be valuable when/if TP decides to take time-off to take care of his injury/illness/whatever he is going thru.

SpursWillOwn
01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
hope his contract is a 10-day :( fuck.

Joe Schmoogins
01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm not really happy about this like others have menioned. I feel it is more of a warning sign than a good omen. However, the fact is that we are playing crappy ball right now. Something is needed to inject life into this team. If Stoudamire is that something then I guess we're gonna go with it and see what happens. I hope for the best, and still expect chip number 5.

themvp
01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
He attempted 21 3-pointers once :lol

VaSpursFan
01-29-2008, 04:31 PM
i'm kind of shocked that the spurs pursued and he agreed. i actually don't think of this as a horrible signing. memphis shut him down because they wanted to develop their pg of the future conley and give lowry more minutes. i still think he has a little something in the tank and he is a former starting PG in this league so he know how to run an offense. vaughn is all hustle but you don't want him shooting, let alone trying to create a shot on his own. stoudamire can put the ball in the hole and he's a capable 3 pt shooter. i don't like the kid but since Pop went after him, i gotta ride with Pop's expertise on this one. now if we could a slasher that could create their own shot in the 2 guard spot, i'd be really happy. we need more scoring on that first team with TP ailing and defenses focusing on timmy, that leaves fin, bowen or oberto to score...and they ain't doing too good of a job right now.

timvp
01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah, this isn't that surprising. Like I said when it first broke that Stoudamire was contemplating the Spurs, he has long wanted to play for a Texas team. When the Raptors were trying to trade him, Stoudamire repeatedly said he wanted to go to one of the three Texas teams. Why? I have no idea.

My gut reaction is to not like this move. We've seen too many veteran point guards come to San Antonio on their last leg and then end up hurting the team. Plus, I've watched a lot of Stoudamire this year and I don't see much gas left in the tank. He was shooting three-pointers with the Grizzlies but that's about it.

The scary part to me is I think this is a bad sign for Parker's prognosis. Knowing how Stoudamire has historically been a me-first player, I doubt he's coming to San Antonio with thoughts of having to fight for the backup point guard spot. I could see a situation where the Spurs told him if he came on board that they'd shut Parker down for a month and let him start.

If Stoudamire's intentions are pure and he's just coming to San Antonio to compete for a spot in the rotation, then I'll welcome him aboard. Behind Parker and competing with a Pop favorite in Jacque Vaughn, that's not exactly where a guy would pick to go unless he was all about winning. I'll believe in Stoudamire (for the time being, at least) and give him props.

Maybe I could be reading into this too much and the Spurs just want an option at point guard that has three-point range. Stoudamire isn't that good but for half of a minimum contract -- you can't say that's not a good value. I've always said that the Spurs would fill out their last roster spot by adding another point guard ... so I shouldn't be too surprised.

I don't love this move ... I'm not even sure I like it. But it's a reasonable move and Stoudamire would deserve a tip of the cap for coming to San Antonio when there were much more glamorous opportunities available.

Slinkyman
01-29-2008, 04:57 PM
The west is so close this year, 6 games separate the 1 and 8 seeds. If parker can't go and the spurs slip we could be on the outside looking in with Vaughn as our starting PG and no back up, who wants that? We NEED a pg and damon is the best available for the cheapest price.

The Truth #6
01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
If Damon starts immediately, then what does this do for the team's overall chemistry/progress?

And I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the team responds well to the change. To expect him to pick up the system right away, right as the team is supposed to be coming together, is probably a long stretch to imagine. It's the right move because Tony needs rest but its not a good situation in any real sense.

If this happens we'll be a bottom playoff seed most likely. However, if Tony can come back to his full self before the playoffs start with just enough time to throw the late, late "switch", then that could put the Spurs in an interesting and different situation than they are used to.

The West is so wide open there will probably be some young/inexperienced teams with high seeds. If the Spurs come in with the 7th seed, I can't imagine any 2nd seed team being excited about this matchup.

If this signing happens and Damon starts for a month, the rest of the season and playoffs just got a LOT more unpredictable.

SenorSpur
01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm not happy about this potential acquisition either. However at this stage of the season and with very limited options available, I don't know what else the Spurs can do. It's way more important for Parker to regain his health and it appears the only way to do so is to shut him down for a while.

Stoudamire is no savior or saint. He sure doesn't fit the typical profile of a Spurs player. I guess part of my trepidations on this are simply me having those recurring NVE flashbacks. Ooh shit, there it goes again!

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:08 PM
It's ok if Damon is done a la Nick Van Exel. We just need Parker to get healthy.

Phenomanul
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Parker should be shut down for awhile. If Stoudamire is worth all these keystrokes, he should start.

The question is should Parker undergo surgery?

To remove the bone spurs that is...

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
The question is should Parker undergo surgery?That seems a little drastic.

The Truth #6
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Other than a reference to his heel hurting, I've never heard/read anything specific about Tony's ailment.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
You people crack me up.

You p1ss on Stoudamire, jerk 0ff to Vaughn and pretend like the Spurs can have the pick of the litter, while simultaneously offering no credible alternatives.

Be constructive or be quiet.

Phenomanul
01-29-2008, 05:15 PM
That seems a little drastic.

Bone spurs are bone spurs.... time alone won't make them go away.

Bruno
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't like this move but it won't hurt Spurs unless Stoudamire hurts Spurs chemistry or Pop give him the backup PG spot while Vaughn is better.

To me, it will likely be a quite meaningless move because I don't think Stoudamire will be way better than Vaughn if he plays. It could be a good one if Stoudamire expects my expectations and it could be a bad one if pop sticks with him while he sucks like he does with NVE.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
What do you guys like?

Losing?

Sucking?

Doing nothing to improve?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
What do you guys like?

Losing?

Sucking?

Doing nothing to improve?Stoudamire pretty much fills that checklist.

Stoudamire is fine to have while Barry and Parker heal up, but he's not going to make much of a difference overall.

greyforest
01-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Stoudamire averaged 7.3 points in 29 games with the Grizzlies this season, but shot only 39.7 percent, and 38.7 percent from 3-point range.

woo.

Solid D
01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
What do they have to lose besides another shot at the championship in an even year? And I mean that in a good way.

I see him as insurance..."you be the glue Jacque, I'll be the bailing wire". I see him as a 2 guard when they go small. He can bring energy or make a play in small spurts and he can shoot the 3 at a decent rate. The thing I don't care for is he's not a defender, he's a gambler.

midgetonadonkey
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Why did we get rid of Scola for nothing?!?!?!

:pctoss

timvp
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Quote from Stoudamire after being demoted ...

The Grizzlies have embarked on a youth movement, meaning Stoudamire isn't likely to return to the active roster anytime soon unless Conley or Lowery suffers an injury.

Stoudamire, 34, has accepted the demotion gracefully and pledged to avoid controversy.

"I have to do my job and be a soldier around here, and try to help in different ways rather than on the floor," Stoudamire said. "The wrong thing to do right now is not work. You've got to keep working and stay professional through all of this."

Maybe Stoudamire has grown up over the years and now is willing to come to San Antonio and carve out a niche on the team. Who knows? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he could have gone to Phoenix or Boston and be talked about on ESPN for the next month. Nobody will care about him if he signs with the Spurs.

Oh and he's forgiven for his AJ blasts of years past. That was a long time ago and he said that because he wanted to come to San Antonio ... even way back then. Plus that blast gave the Spurs even more fuel on their first title run.

Budkin
01-29-2008, 05:47 PM
I'll take anyone that can shoot at a consistently decent rate. Welcome aboard Damon!

Kori Ellis
01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Maybe Tony Parker needs rest for 2-3 weeks to get healthy. And to sit him down, you need another PG on this team.

So what's so bad about doing what you need to do be able to rest a guy who is going to be vital in the playoffs?

If Stoudamire disrupts things or is useless after filling in for Parker (if indeed that's the plan) then you can just cut him.

I don't even like Damon, but I don't see how this can be a bad thing, if Parker needs rest.

timvp
01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
What do they have to lose besides another shot at the championship in an even year? And I mean that in a good way.:lol

Nicely done.

I see him as insurance..."you be the glue Jacque, I'll be the bailing wire". I see him as a 2 guard when they go small. He can bring energy or make a play in small spurts and he can shoot the 3 at a decent rate. The thing I don't care for is he's not a defender, he's a gambler.Well put. Stoudamire would be a low-risk guy who might be able to spread the court.

I thought the Spurs would sign someone like Mike Wilks or Andre Barrett to round off the team. I'll take Stoudamire instead. If he's fine with whatever role he gets, this could turn out to be a very good signing.

Using him in a Steve Kerr role when defenses are collapsing in the middle could work. Maybe some of that Arizona magic can transfer.

I'm still not sure whether I like this move .... but I can imagine situations in which this move helps the team.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Chump, you endorsed Stoudamire earlier today, while timvp trashed him.

Did you two swap sides on this issue?

The bottom line whether you believe me or not that he's better than Vaughn is that Stoudamire will provide much-needed relief in some form for Parker.

Um.

I also thought that Ward and NVE were pretty shrewd moves at the time.

Fvck.

timvp
01-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Stoudamire still sucks. But Stoudamire > Nobody if the Spurs need to rest Parker. And Anybody > Vaughn in terms of spreading the floor.

I don't like this move but I did like the NVE and Ward moves. So maybe that's a good sign.

:hat

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Let's hope.

I will bet that Stoudamire supplants Vaughn in the rotation.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
The bottom line whether you believe me or not that he's better than Vaughn is that Stoudamire will provide much-needed relief in some form for Parker.I'm not sure if he's better overall than Vaughn for this team, but the Spurs need to rest Parker so trying out Damon (or anyone else really) is fine for now.

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 06:12 PM
"for this team"

Well put.

We've seen players not fit in here and thrive elsewhere.

It takes time and discipline to learn the system and play defense.

gameFACE
01-29-2008, 06:20 PM
In the words of Mighty Mouse:

DAYUM!!

I was huge on Ward and Van Exel when they came so i'm reserving any conclusions until he gets here and plays a few games. The only thing is that it's been tough to watch Tony not have as much explosiveness lately so this really can't hurt.

T Park
01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
More likely, Beno Udrih saying "I told you so."

Fuck Beno.

He had thousands of chances. Get the fuck off it.

T Park
01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
That being said I don't like this move. I think adding a PG in January is gonna be a bitch cause hes gonna have to learn on the fly.

I'll keep my mind open on this one.

T Park
01-29-2008, 06:33 PM
The one game I remember Stoudamire from though was the second game of the year, and dropping 20 and pretty much trying to will the Grizzlies to win that game.

lefty
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM

:lmao

lefty
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
This is how I see it: Spurs will play better in the 2nd half, with Damon not seeing much minutes.

Either because Pop won't trust him or his D, or either to mess with our opponents' heads.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I agree with the general notion that I see no reason for Stoudamire to make this move over the chance to play with Boston or Phoenix or Dallas unless there are facts that we don't presently know and those facts suggest that Damon has some sort of guarantee of playing time here. I get that he has stated a desire to play for a Texas club, but at the moment, Dallas would seem like a much more logical landing place from Damon's standpoint unless, again, there's more than we know.

I'm tepid on the move if only because my enthusiasm for the Nick Van Exel move got washed away by wave after wave of cold reality. Damon might be more than NVE, but unlike Nick, Damon has never shown himself to be a guy who comes up big in clutch moments or big games. In Portland's 2 best playoff runs (1999 and 2000) Damon's scoring averages dropped by 2.4 and 3.6 ppg from his regular season numbers and his assists per game dropped in both runs as he shot 38% and 42% from the floor. To the extent that he's a scorer at all, he's a volume scorer who has never shot the ball well for an extended period of time -- in 13 NBA seasons, he's finished at or under 40% from the floor in 9 different seasons, including each of the last 5 seasons. I have my doubts about how well a guy who needs lots of shots to score will fit with the Spurs. He also hasn't been particularly durable in the last few years, which is another problem.

My hunch, frankly, is that there's something more moving here; whether that's a trade or shelving Parker for a while or something else, this move is curious at best in my mind. Damon is about as far removed from a Pop player as I can imagine. Not too long ago, his adjusted +/- number was about the worst among NBA point guards. He's not an efficient offensive player. He's never been renowned for his defense. And he's got a history of character problems, to say nothing of his proclivity for offering too much talk and relatively little action. Given all of those seeming truths, I can't figure out why this move makes sense for the Spurs unless: (1) they're just plain desperate; or (2) there's something much more significant going on behind the scenes.

If this comes to pass, I'll be very interested to see what happens next.

timvp
01-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Well said, FWD. I want to take it at face value and believe Stoudamire is just another veteran that wants to jump on board for the ride who the Spurs will accept with open arms due to his outside shooting. However, that's a tough concept to swallow knowing all the other factors that have been discussed.

As you said, we'll see what happens next. If Parker has surgery or will be shut down for a month or two ... then suddenly this move makes a lot more sense. Status quo would leave me scratching my head.

Bruno
01-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm not that sure that this signing is only related to Parker's injury.
Spurs tried to sign Troy Hudson this summer. Hudson and Stoudamire are kinda similar players.
It seems that Pop want to have a scoring guard to bring a little craziness.

ChuckD
01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Don't believe the hype.

T Park
01-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Great point Bruno.

I hope Demon can contribute, but I'm just not convinced he can...

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Well said, FWD. I want to take it at face value and believe Stoudamire is just another veteran that wants to jump on board for the ride who the Spurs will accept with open arms due to his outside shooting. However, that's a tough concept to swallow knowing all the other factors that have been discussed.

As you said, we'll see what happens next. If Parker has surgery or will be shut down for a month or two ... then suddenly this move makes a lot more sense. Status quo would leave me scratching my head.

If Pop is looking for a veteran point who can score, the more sensible move to me is seeking a deal for Sam Cassell, who looks like Shaq in terms of offensive efficiency when compared with Stoudamire and looks like Jordan in terms of clutch play when compared with Stoudamire.

Cassell could clearly make a difference to a team thinking championship; Stoudamire is a name without a lot of numbers behind it and is an upgrade only to a team in a dire situation at the point.

Maybe the Spurs have explored that possibility and come up only with dead ends on that front and need to make a move now. We'll see, I suppose. Having another 30 minutes or so to think about this one, I don't get it from the perspective of either party to the deal without there being something more going on.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-29-2008, 07:36 PM
That being said I don't like this move. I think adding a PG in January is gonna be a bitch cause hes gonna have to learn on the fly.

I'll keep my mind open on this one.

Yeah, it's pretty fucking difficult to comprehend the Spurs offense for a PG...

1. Dribble ball up court
2. Pass to Duncan
3. Stand behind three point line
4. Shoot if passed to.

That shit takes years to figure out.

T Park
01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah, it's pretty fucking difficult to comprehend the Spurs offense for a PG...

1. Dribble ball up court
2. Pass to Duncan
3. Stand behind three point line
4. Shoot if passed to.

That shit takes years to figure out

:lol

Talk about never bringing a fresh new take.

Still on the Pop's offense sucks bandwagon I see.

If Pop is looking for a veteran point who can score, the more sensible move to me is seeking a deal for Sam Cassell

I agree, and when Cassell is feeling frisky this year, he looks like a stud still.

Although it seems the Clippers don't want to deal due to them thinking they are still in contention for the playoffs.

Cloud786
01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Would signing him put us over the luxury tax?

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Let's not forget the Damon Stoudamire who was trying to pass weed rapped up in tin foil through airport security. Or getting busted for how many pounds? So, if he's off the weed, then it's possible that he is an entirely different player, let alone person.

OR.. the Spurs are trying to entice Rasheed to come to SA. :lol

Ghost Writer
01-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Cassell woulda been ideal, but I like guys that are desperate for a ring.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2008, 08:06 PM
lets just hope he doesnt pull a NVE on us and his goto move is dribble down court for 4secs, pull up for jumpshot with 20secs left on shotclock

El_Mago
01-29-2008, 08:11 PM
This is no real surprise.

I figured Damon would get some high interest from the Spurs and was in favor of the move.

The Spurs have always gone for savy vet's whether it be before the season, waivers, or trade. Jerome Kersey, Porter, Willis, Robinson, NVE, Willis, Finley, etc....

A lot of them were not strong in the defense department, but were veterans and wanted to win.

I am more than certain Popovich laid out the conditions to Damon and he either had to accept or move on. Simple as that.

He is going to spread the floor, has good handles, can bring up the ball, can play the passing lanes, pass, and like most people who come via trade or waivers mid-way in the season....will hustle on defense, or his ass won't play. But most of all, he really wants to win and get a ring. He's hungry.

I see this working.

debo
01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
well it cant make us worse..... i hope

milkyway21
01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I think he might actually help the Spurs. Not saying he'll come in and light it up. Just saying that this will give TP some much needed rest, which down the line will help the Spurs.exactly. I'm always optomistic to any addition. Unless of course they're injury-prone.

Don Quixote
01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I like the move. Tony's hurt and we need a PG. Stoudamire has shown an ability to shoot and has handle. Given the cicumstances, it's about the best we could've hoped for.

And it's not like Chris Paul or Jason Kidd is available. We take what we can get.

Russ
01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, Stoudamire did say that he could lead the Spurs to the title better than their current point guard. (Unfortunately, he said it in 1999 about Avery Johnson.)

To look on the bright side, maybe he's the Anti-Avery needed to get past Dallas (hopefully the Spurs sights are still set that high). :)

m33p0
01-29-2008, 09:01 PM
so long as he doesn't end up in boston or in any other possible contenders, i'm kewl with it.

milkyway21
01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
so long as he doesn't end up in boston or in any other possible contenders, i'm kewl with it.speaking of Boston, Allen out with a flu, and KG out too?

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
so long as he doesn't end up in boston or in any other possible contenders, i'm kewl with it.

troy hudson was waived for cwebber on gsw

he could end up in BOSTON

sam cassell is also on the move i read

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Talk about never bringing a fresh new take.

Still on the Pop's offense sucks bandwagon I see.

Yeah, going small ball against Utah and letting them clean our clocks because of it was brilliant. Enshrine him now.

lefty
01-29-2008, 09:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3221245

Source: Stoudamire to talk with Spurs, Suns as Celtics fade
By Chris Sheridan

The Boston Celtics were fading fast Tuesday as a possible next destination for soon-to-be free agent point guard Damon Stoudamire, ESPN.com has learned.

Stoudamire

Stoudamire, who would like to decide Wednesday where he'll spend the rest of the season, was expected to speak by telephone Tuesday with San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com.

The Toronto Raptors also remained in the picture, the source said.

Although Stoudamire would seem to be the perfect fit for a Boston team needing an experienced playmaker behind second-year point guard Rajon Rondo, Celtics president Danny Ainge has expressed misgivings about tinkering with his team's chemistry.

Stoudamire has apparently taken that as a signal that the Celtics are not as interested in him as he had believed just a few days ago.

In San Antonio, Stoudamire would supplant Jacque Vaughn as a backup behind Tony Parker. In Phoenix, he would play behind Steve Nash and allow the Suns to move Leandro Barbosa to shooting guard from point guard when Nash is on the bench, and in Toronto he would give the Raptors some insurance behind Jose Calderon in case T.J. Ford is unable to return this season from his neck injury.

Stoudamire will be free to sign with any NBA team after he clears waivers at 6 p.m. ET Wednesday.

Chris Sheridan pretends to cover the NBA for ESPN Insider.

wildbill2u
01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
With Tony out for a while, we may not look so good to Stoudamire now if he's looking for a good shot at a championship.

he and Vaughn can't carry us there.

ducks
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
boykins? sam cassel?

loveforthegame
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I guess it depends on what Stoudamire wants. Does he just want to sit and win a ring or does he want to get minutes with sights on a ring?

With Parker out he'll get the playing time and the Spurs have a shot at winning a title.

ducks
01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
with mighty mouse at point NOT!

BonnerDynasty
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't care how bad the Spurs are doing.

Pass on this guy.

Don't sell out.

Holt's Cat
01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Sometimes, you need a little offense. Stoudamire wouldn't be the first vet who joined the Spurs with less than perfect defensive credentials.

Yes, I know the Spurs won the title last season after looking like shit right before the All-Star break. That was last season.

I'm not sure I see the problem here. Looks like a good pickup if he signs.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Stoudamire is the only rational choice for the spurs right now. Parker is out indefinitely with an injury and we are compelled to settle for vaugh as starting PG. We have manu for PG off the bench (this would definitely toll on his scoring).Pop is not in the mood to make any changes on his lineup through a trade, so the only way to make changes is to hire a free agent.

Stoudamire is a free agent and is probably enough to get us through this tough times. He's definitely better than vaughn, and he's an experienced point guard. We could have him of the bench until he's accustomed to Pop's system. Then we can probably have him start in few games (to await praker's full recovery)

RC's Boss
01-30-2008, 01:16 AM
Man, I bet he has some good weed!

Slohoop
01-30-2008, 01:36 AM
This is realy stupid. Adding another vet on team instead rebuiling with fresh blood.

T Park
01-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Wheres the fresh blood?

Point em out GM.

Doctor J
01-30-2008, 01:41 AM
Stoudamire wouldn't be bad.

But I prefer Beno Udrich. We should have kept him.

He can create offense and would have developed his skills and confidence with Parker sidelined right now.

Too bad he is in Sacramento. Too bad....

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Wheres the fresh blood?

Point em out GM.

:toast Yeah point them out. and kindly show how would you bring them to the spurs so conveniently?

timvp
01-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Reports are the Earl Boykins is looking to sing with someone. If Boykins would sign for the minimum, I'd like him more than Stoudamire. Boykins is a huge ballhog but he can score ... something the Spurs will need with Parker out. Stoudamire isn't much of a scorer anymore.

Either way, the Spurs need a point guard with Parker out. Stoudamire is likely a better win now option than some young buck such as Andre Barrett or Mike Wilks. I'd prefer ballhog Boykins but I'll settle for Stoudamire.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Either way, the Spurs need a point guard with Parker out. Stoudamire is likely a better win now option than some young buck such as Andre Barrett or Mike Wilks. I'd prefer ballhog Boykins but I'll settle for Stoudamire.

I like boykins too. Kind of remind me of avery johnson. If he's there, I'll take him in a heartbeat

timvp
01-30-2008, 06:45 AM
I like boykins too. Kind of remind me of avery johnson. If he's there, I'll take him in a heartbeatMy order would be Cassell, Boykins and then Stoudamire. But with Parker out, I'll gladly take Stoudamire because the alternative is some D-League scrub.

Ghost Writer
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Now you guys are on my Sam Cassell bandwagon.

I guess better late than never.

Mr. Body
01-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Reports are Cassell will be kept by LAC.

Supergirl
01-30-2008, 09:23 AM
I think this is a great signing. People forget that a couple years ago, Damon was capable of scoring 20 points a game on a regular basis, and he's a seasoned, confident PG. He's better offensively than Jacque Vaughn, and we need PGs desperately to help steady the ship while TP is out. Depending on how well he plays, I could see him sucking away a lot of minutes from Vaughn as out back up PG when TP returns. But even if he's only so-so - we DESPERATELY NEED HIM right now.

T Park
01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I think this is a great signing. People forget that a couple years ago, Damon was capable of scoring 20 points a game on a regular basis

Almost sounds word for word like the Nick Van Exel signing.

naico
01-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Once Damon Stoudamire clears waivers tomorrow morning, the veteran point guard is expected to sign with the Spurs, according to an NBA source. Spurs guard Tony Parker is out indefinitely with a bone spur in his left heel, according to ESPN.com. The NBA didn't finalize Stoudamire's buyout with the Grizzlies until yesterday morning, and he needs 48 hours to clear waivers.

The Boston Globe

Supergirl
01-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Almost sounds word for word like the Nick Van Exel signing.

But as people have pointed out, Stoudemire is in much better shape than Van Exel was. And Stoudemire is roundly thought of as a solid team player, where as Van Exel has always been known as a knucklehead. Stoudemire was captain in Portland and in Memphis. Where has Van Exel ever been captain?

It could turn out to be a bust, but I think it's a better signing than Cassell, who is battling injuries, older, and likely to stay with the Clips. And I'm doubtful Boykins could get picked up for the vet min.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 10:05 AM
It'll be good that Stoudamire is joining the Spurs now with Parker out. Besides filling the obvious need of a starting point guard, Stoudamire will get some significant PT with the team to learn its plays and get familiar with his teammates. Plus he's used to playing heavy minutes in his career. When Parker makes it back there won't be a rush for him to start playing big minutes right away.

Something to consider is that right now the Spurs need points. They've lost their 3rd scorer. Yes, they do have a Mike Finley would can step it up, but I think it's better to have some filling in for TP who can score.

Capt Bringdown
01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
A broken down old player who can't shoot...why he's gonna fit right in!

ManuTastic
01-30-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm sure it will be explained to him that this is Duncan's team, not his, and if all he does is dribble up court and fire he'll have a nice view of Jacque Vaughn's play from his seat on the bench. Assuming he gets that, this signing can only help. Not a lot, but at this point beggars can't be choosers.

AFBlue
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Stoudamire expected to bolster Spurs backcourt

By Tony Mejia
CBSSports.com Staff Writer

Damon Stoudamire has begun talks with the defending champion San Antonio Spurs and is expected to choose them over other suitors after he clears waivers on Wednesday night, multiple sources have told CBSSports.com.

Once Stoudamire agreed to a buyout with the Memphis Grizzlies, it was expected that his choice of contenders would be limited to Boston and Phoenix, but the Spurs emerged as a major player amid Gregg Popovich's decision to shut down Tony Parker for the foreseeable future.

Parker, suffering from a bone spur in his left heel, was told that he'd be sidelined indefinitely despite his desire to play. Despite its first three-game losing streak since the end of the 2006-07 regular season, San Antonio is refusing to sacrifice its postseason aspirations by allowing the reigning NBA Finals MVP to continue to put himself at risk.

In flirting with Stoudamire, a 13-year veteran, the Spurs appear serious about making sure Parker makes a full recovery before allowing him to return to the court. Parker has been trying to play through the ailment, which causes the ligaments attached to his heel to swell and become irritated by the pounding on the soft tissue below the heel. San Antonio is two games into its annual rodeo trip and won't be back to play a game at the AT&T Center until Feb. 19, two days after the All-Star Game. Parker isn't expected to be named one of the reserves for the Western Conference squad, so it's likely the French superstar will be out of action for three weeks.

That's where Stoudamire comes in. He hasn't participated since Dec. 30, essentially deactivated by the Grizzlies to avoid paying a clause in his contract tied to playing time, expediting his exit out of Memphis. All he wants to do is play. Because he'd have to share minutes with Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa in Phoenix, the thought is that Stoudamire is keen on joining the Spurs with the understanding that he'd supplant Jacque Vaughn as the team's starter in the interim and the backup to Parker down the road.

Boston, thought to be another potential destination, has playing time available behind second-year guard Rajon Rondo, but is thought to be looking for a bigger frame on its backup than the 5-foot-10 Stoudamire would provide.

While Stoudamire does have ties to Arizona, having gone to school in Tucson and being tight with new Suns GM Steve Kerr, expect him to be on the opposite side when the Spurs visit Phoenix on Thursday night. Ironically, Stoudamire's last game came in a 111-87 loss at San Antonio.

The 1996 Rookie of the Year has played in 29 games this season, averaging 7.3 points and 3.9 assists while shooting 38.3 percent from 3-point range, his best clip since his first season in the league.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10609368

Latest article on Stoudamire, though I'm not sure if it is anymore difinitive....

lefty
01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w43/img.45462_t.jpg

ChumpDumper
01-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Did Tony kick him in the face?

lefty
01-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Did Tony kick him in the face?

Apparently they want Damon for his healing super powers.

TP's ankle should be fine

tav1
01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
If the Spurs are willing to sign Stoudemire then they must expect Tony to be back after a reasonable break, otherwise they'd trade for someone of greater talent. And think this also means that if the Spurs are contemplating a trade, it's for a wing or big. My guess is that they are working towards replacing one of their bigs for someone with, gulp, a pulse.

All told, I think Stoudemire represents a quintessential barrel scrape. He's pretty lousy.