PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger Team "Pace" Statistic.....

da_suns_fan__
11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
RNK Team Pace
1 Denver 102.9
2 Seattle 102.8
3 Golden 101.6
4 Phoenix 101
5 Indiana 100.9
6 Utah 100.2
7 L.A. Lakers 98.9
8 Memphis 98.8
9 Cleveland 97.9
10 L.A. Clippers 97.6
11 Orlando 97.1
12 Washington 96.6
13 Chicago 96.3
14 New York 95.6
15 Boston 95.2
16 Toronto 95
17 Sacramento 94.6
18 Dallas 94.4
19 New Jersey 94.2
20 Atlanta 94.1
21 Philadelphia 94
22 Houston 93.9
23 Charlotte 93.9
24 Detroit 93.8
25 Portland 93.6
26 Milwaukee 93.6
27 Minnesota 93.3
28 Miami 92.9
29 New Orleans 92.8
30 San Antonio 92.1

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=pac&order=false&league=nba

Thus the Spurs are playing at a slower pace than any other team in the league.

Discuss.

RonMexico
11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
I think Findog will tell us that Dallas's pace of 94.4 is what all championship teams have. And being number 18 of 30 shows their extreme balance.

Findog
11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
How do you discuss a non-sequitur?

Findog
11-20-2007, 03:37 PM
I think Findog will tell us that Dallas's pace of 94.4 is what all championship teams have. And being number 18 of 30 shows their extreme balance.

There's no correlation between the two, but of course you're just trying to make a funny. San Antonio is last in the league, Phoenix is number four. Both teams have a style that works for them.

Seattle and Golden State push the ball and they suck. Phoenix plays uptempo and they're an elite team. San Antonio slows it down and they're the defending champs, while Minnesota plays halfcourt and they're awful. This is just da_suns_fan reminding us that he thinks the Spurs are oh so boring. I'd like him to post the overnight ratings for when the Suns play on TNT, since that's one-half of his obsession.

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
The Suns haven't been to the NBA Finals since 1993.

Discuss.

stretch
11-20-2007, 03:47 PM
San Antonio (slowest pace) >>> Denver (fastest pace)

Nuff said.

da_suns_fan__
11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
San Antonio pace >>>>>> No one.

stretch
11-20-2007, 03:50 PM
That makes no sense.

exstatic
11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
The Suns haven't been to the NBA Finals since 1993.

Discuss.
:lmao

Findog
11-20-2007, 03:55 PM
That makes no sense.

I'm gonna be honest, stretch, that smells like pure gasoline. Why doesn't da_suns_fan sit out the next couple of plays?

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM
notice he still never mentions the word "winning" or "champions" in any of his posts.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm gonna be honest, stretch, that smells like pure gasoline. Why doesn't da_suns_fan sit out the next couple of plays?
Maybe he just wants to go to the pants party.

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe he just wants to go to the pants party.

DannyB killed a guy.

Kriz-Maxima
11-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Shame on Phoenix they are fourth, what happened to D'Antoni's "run faster" request? Slackers.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
DannyB killed a guy.
He loves lamp.

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Shame on Phoenix they are fourth, what happened to D'Antoni's "run faster" request? Slackers.

Grant Hill begged him to slow it down. Then he grabbed his ankles.

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:05 PM
He loves lamp.

yourcheatinheart thinks that when all of this is over, he and da_suns_fan should get an apartment together.

stretch
11-20-2007, 04:06 PM
It smells like big-foot's dick.

AZLouis
11-20-2007, 04:08 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=pac&order=false&league=nba

Discuss.

Must be all the championship rings waying them down?

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
It smells like big-foot's dick.

Hey, top-notch journalism from here on out, Ed. No more Hollinger pace bullshit.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 04:11 PM
yourcheatinheart thinks that when all of this is over, he and da_suns_fan should get an apartment together.
And they and their children will form a family band, and they will tour the countryside, but we won't be invited.

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:12 PM
And they and their children will form a family band, and they will tour the countryside, but we won't be invited.

Where did the Suns get those purple and orange jerseys, the toilet store?

Cry Havoc
11-20-2007, 04:13 PM

Mmmm. Trolling.

I have an idea. How about we all stop responding to this moron? Let every one of his threads die. It would be hilarious, and then he'd start making 6 or 7 an hour just to get one or two newbies to talk to him. =P

monosylab1k
I think the best scene in Anchorman is the deleted scene on the DVD where Ron has to name the baby panda. He tries to fake like he speaks Chinese and gives it a "chinese sounding" name. Everyone ooh's and ahh's at the exotic sounding name until one of the reporters in the crowd pipes up with "Hey I speak Mandarin, you just named it Shit Waffle!"

Mr.Bottomtooth
Where did the Suns get those purple and orange jerseys, the toilet store?
We should've smashed their faces into a car windshield, and then took their mothers out for a nice seafood dinner, and never call them again.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I think the best scene in Anchorman is the deleted scene on the DVD where Ron has to name the baby panda. He tries to fake like he speaks Chinese and gives it a "chinese sounding" name. Everyone ooh's and ahh's at the exotic sounding name until one of the reporters in the crowd pipes up with "Hey I speak Mandarin, you just named it Shit Waffle!"
:lmao When I first saw that I was ROFLing so bad.

stretch
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Mmmm. Trolling.

I have an idea. How about we all stop responding to this moron? Let every one of his threads die. It would be hilarious, and then he'd start making 6 or 7 an hour just to get one or two newbies to talk to him. =P
Nah, his threads are just too fun, especially with him getting owned in the end. Kinda like his favorite team, the Suns... upbeat, fun, but always falls short due to a poor style that has never worked. Must be something about Phoenix, eh?

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM

Which dvd version do you have? That one wasn't on the one I have. There's some funny deleted scenes I've seen on youtube, like when they're all in the car and Champ goes on and on about how gay he is and he comes out in the car to Ron and confesses his true feelings, and they all awkwardly try to ignore him and pretend he isn't there.

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Which dvd version do you have? That one wasn't on the one I have. There's some funny deleted scenes I've seen on youtube, like when they're all in the car and Champ goes on and on about how gay he is and he comes out in the car to Ron and confesses his true feelings, and they all awkwardly try to ignore him and pretend he isn't there.
I have the unrated disc that came packaged with "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy" which is a completely different version of the movie made with stuff that was cut out of the first one. I think they said the original cut of Anchorman was like 4 hours long because they had so much great stuff to use.

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I have the unrated disc that came packaged with "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy" which is a completely different version of the movie made with stuff that was cut out of the first one. I think they said the original cut of Anchorman was like 4 hours long because they had so much great stuff to use.

Oh yeah, I've heard of WURB, it's like 40 minutes of extra footage and a bunch of subplots they couldn't use, like Amy Poehler as part of a radical ecoterrorist group or something.

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I love the "shit waffle" deleted scene along with the scene where they go to confront some guy at his house, an old guy comes to the door and Ron starts insulting him with "i can't wait for you to go to prison where they'll go passing your candy ass around! you fucking asshole! i'm sorry to use such filthy language but you make me sick! that's it, i'm going to punch you!" and they find out they went to the wrong house.

Shank
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Smells like the inside of a fake leg.

Findog
11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I love the "shit waffle" deleted scene along with the scene where they go to confront some guy at his house, an old guy comes to the door and Ron starts insulting him with "i can't wait for you to go to prison where they'll go passing your candy ass around! you fucking asshole! i'm sorry to use such filthy language but you make me sick! that's it, i'm going to punch you!" and they find out they went to the wrong house.

He really should've quit while he was ahead with Anchorman. Ron Burgundy was such a great character, but I though Talladeega Nights sucked balls mostly, and that ABA movie looks like more of the same. I did like that one he did with Horseface Gyllenhaal, Stranger than Fiction.

Speaking of closeted sports media personalities with a fondness for nose candy, where's Greggo? At least that's the scuttlebutt.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 04:31 PM
He really should've quit while he was ahead with Anchorman. Ron Burgundy was such a great character, but I though Talladeega Nights sucked balls mostly, and that ABA movie looks like more of the same. I did like that one he did with Horseface Gyllenhaal, Stranger than Fiction.

Speaking of closeted sports media personalities with a fondness for nose candy, where's Greggo? At least that's the scuttlebutt.
Talladega Nights definitely didn't live up to its hype but I still thought it was funny.

DannyB
11-20-2007, 04:32 PM

Discuss.

I was looking at those stats yesterday, and it illustrates what I've argued for a long time: Spurs hold teams to low PPG because they slow it way down and try to keep anything exciting from happening. Their D is good, but what really keeps their opponent PPG low is their slow ass pace.

Conversely, the Suns get unjustly labeled as a team that plays no D, just because they give up a bunch of points. Nevermind that they hold their opponents to about the same FG% & 3PT% as Spurs, nevermind that they rank in the top ten in blocks and steals (way above the Spurs, who are down around #17). Nevermind that their pace simply gives their opponents more shots per game to account for the extra points. Nevermind that the Suns are actually holding their opponents under 100 PPG. Some idiots in the media way back decided that the Suns don't play D, and everyone just assumes it to be true.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Is the cover on yours the one with the whole news team or just Ron at his desk without his pants?

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Is the cover on yours the one with the whole news team or just Ron at his desk without his pants?
Ron without pants.

stretch
11-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I was looking at those stats yesterday, and it illustrates what I've argued for a long time: Spurs hold teams to low PPG because they slow it way down and try to keep anything exciting from happening. Their D is good, but what really keeps their opponent PPG low is their slow ass pace.

When you play defense, your focus is the limit your opponents scoring chances and opportunities, and in turn, giving yourself the best chance possible to score. A slow pace contributes to this. It gives their opponents less scoring chances, forces them out of their rhythm, while in turn, helping the Spurs to score as efficiently as possible.

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Conversely, the Suns get unjustly labeled as a team that plays no D
no they don't.

sprrs
11-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Conversely, the Suns get unjustly labeled as a team that plays no D, just because they give up a bunch of points. Nevermind that they hold their opponents to about the same FG% & 3PT% as Spurs, nevermind that they rank in the top ten in blocks and steals (way above the Spurs, who are down around #17). Nevermind that their pace simply gives their opponents more shots per game to account for the extra points. Nevermind that the Suns are actually holding their opponents under 100 PPG. Some idiots in the media way back decided that the Suns don't play D, and everyone just assumes it to be true.

That has more to do with their pace and less to do with their defense. The Suns go so fast in the offense, that the other team tries to keep up on their side and rushes a shot or makes a bad play to get right back at them. Whether that's part of their strategy or not is another question.

Oh, and since when do blocks and steals = good defense? Marcus Camby is a blocking machine, but a poor defender.

DannyB
11-20-2007, 04:59 PM
That has more to do with their pace and less to do with their defense. The Suns go so fast in the offense, that the other team tries to keep up on their side and rushes a shot or makes a bad play to get right back at them. Whether that's part of their strategy or not is another question.

Oh, and since when do blocks and steals = good defense? Marcus Camby is a blocking machine, but a poor defender.

Yeah, you're right. Blocks and steals don't have a fucking thing to do with defense. Those are offensive statistics, right?

monosylab1k
11-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah, you're right. Blocks and steals don't have a fucking thing to do with defense. Those are offensive statistics, right?
do you really not know?

sprrs
11-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Some of the least relevant defensive statistics. You'd be better off finding an "assists prevented" statistic.

DannyB
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Some of the least relevant defensive statistics. You'd be better off finding an "assists prevented" statistic.

So you're saying you don't believe blocks & steals are even valid stats. Ok. Have it your way. I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who doesn't even accept the validity of steals & blocks.

RonMexico
11-20-2007, 05:30 PM
There's no correlation between the two, but of course you're just trying to make a funny. San Antonio is last in the league, Phoenix is number four. Both teams have a style that works for them.

Seattle and Golden State push the ball and they suck. Phoenix plays uptempo and they're an elite team. San Antonio slows it down and they're the defending champs, while Minnesota plays halfcourt and they're awful. This is just da_suns_fan reminding us that he thinks the Spurs are oh so boring. I'd like him to post the overnight ratings for when the Suns play on TNT, since that's one-half of his obsession.

I was making joke - sorry to pick on you, but you were the first I thought of and I know you like ragging on DSF.

However, it is spelled non-sequitor... "Non-Sequitur" is a comic strip.

ambchang
11-20-2007, 05:31 PM

First off, the season is 10 games old, and the two teams have different set of opponents, so comparing them at this point is comparing apples to oranges. The only way to really weigh how effective a defense is is throughout the whole season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2007.html
In 2007, the Spurs were #4 in FG% allowed and #2 in 3pt% allowed, while the Suns were ranked 14 and 22.
The Spurs also scored 98.5 ppg and allowed 90.1 ppg, translating to a 8.4 ppg differential, while the Suns scored 110.2 and allowed 102.9 for a 7.3 ppg differential, despite a faster pace.
The Spurs also had more blocks and steals.

If you want to talk about this season, perhaps we could wait till the end of the year, because as of today, Kevin Martin is second in the league in scoring, and Rajon Rodon is #4 in FG%, I don't expect these to carry on throughout the year.

sprrs
11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
So you're saying you don't believe blocks & steals are even valid stats. Ok. Have it your way. I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who doesn't even accept the validity of steals & blocks.

That's good, because I shouldn't even have bothered arguing with someone who thinks steals and blocks are deciding stats for determining how well someone plays defense.

Leetonidas
11-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Bruce Bowen sucks at both and he is one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA.

You're telling me Larry Hughes is a great defensive player?

RonMexico
11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Talladega Nights definitely didn't live up to its hype but I still thought it was funny.

I thought it wasn't funny at all.

And I know funny.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Grant Hill begged him to slow it down. Then he grabbed his ankles.
Are you implying that Hill was injured by the pace, or something far more disturbing?

FromWayDowntown
11-20-2007, 06:29 PM
First off, the season is 10 games old, and the two teams have different set of opponents, so comparing them at this point is comparing apples to oranges. The only way to really weigh how effective a defense is is throughout the whole season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2007.html
In 2007, the Spurs were #4 in FG% allowed and #2 in 3pt% allowed, while the Suns were ranked 14 and 22.
The Spurs also scored 98.5 ppg and allowed 90.1 ppg, translating to a 8.4 ppg differential, while the Suns scored 110.2 and allowed 102.9 for a 7.3 ppg differential, despite a faster pace.
The Spurs also had more blocks and steals.

If you want to talk about this season, perhaps we could wait till the end of the year, because as of today, Kevin Martin is second in the league in scoring, and Rajon Rodon is #4 in FG%, I don't expect these to carry on throughout the year.

Even with the limited sample, the Spurs are 5th in defensive efficiency at this point (97.6 points per 100 possessions); the Suns are 8th (98.4 points per 100 possessions). That stat eliminates the whining about pace, because in expressing a value per 100 possessions, the stat controls for differences in pace.

It's also worth noting that while the Suns might hold advantages in categories like steals and blocks, the Spurs are 6th in the league in defensive rebounding rate, grabbing 75.6% of all rebounds available on the defensive end; the Suns, by contrast are 28th in that category, getting to only 70% of the available rebounds.

Extra Stout
11-20-2007, 06:40 PM

There is a statistic called points per possession which compensates for game pace. If you weren't a complete idiot/Suns fan, you might have heard of it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 06:58 PM
I thought it wasn't funny at all.

And I know funny.
Come on. You can't say you didn't laugh when he found the note from his dad asking him not to snort the lucky charms.

exstatic
11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Nevermind that they hold their opponents to about the same FG% & 3PT% as Spurs...
The FG%, I'll give you, although it won't finish that way at the end of the year. However, saying that SA's opp 3G% of .318 and PHO's .363 are the same is more of a stretch than Rosanne attempting to enter a small spandex garment, even for a homer like you.

da_suns_fan__
11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Hmmm....don't know how "Discuss" means "Discuss Talledega Nights".

Must be a Texas thing. I don't watch NASCAR. Ive never even been to a RODEO!

Getting back on subject, the numbers don't lie. Spurs fans claim that the "boring" label is one that is unfairly cast upon them by how their team played in 1999 as well as their small market, but the numbers show that no one plays a slower game than the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Getting back on subject, the numbers don't lie. Spurs fans claim that the "boring" label is one that is unfairly cast upon them by how their team played in 1999 as well as their small market, but the numbers show that no one plays a slower game than the Spurs.So?

RonMexico
11-20-2007, 07:15 PM
DSF is right - the only exciting thing thus far in the Spurs season is the pending Joey Crawford-Tim Duncan battle tonight.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 07:22 PM

So what are the Arizona things? Losing to the Texas people?

Getting back on subject, the numbers don't lie. Spurs fans claim that the "boring" label is one that is unfairly cast upon them by how their team played in 1999 as well as their small market, but the numbers show that no one plays a slower game than the Spurs.

And this matters why?

da_suns_fan__
11-20-2007, 07:28 PM
So?

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

Speaking of comedies, ChumpDumpy's post reminds me of a scene from "The Cable Guy".

Mathew Broderick informs Jim Carey (who plays his character with a terrible lisp) that his brother is a speech therapist.

Carey's response:

"THO?"

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

Speaking of comedies, ChumpDumpy's post reminds me of a scene from "The Cable Guy".

Mathew Broderick informs Jim Carey (who plays his character with a terrible lisp) that his brother is a speech therapist.

Carey's response:

"THO?"

Went just as off topic as the Talladega Nights thing did.

Armando
11-20-2007, 07:33 PM
The Suns with the way the play are not going to keep teams under a certain amount of points. Granted sometimes you might get teams with offenses so awful that even playing the Suns pace they have trouble reaching 90 much less 100. However the Suns defense is better then it's reputation. They will never be a shutdown defensive team but they are good enough. Look at the Spurs series. Those games were close. There was not one game where the Spurs could pull away. Even in Game 5 it took a Bowen 3 for the Spurs to win by a whooping 3 points. In fact the only blow out game was Game 2 when the Suns won by a big margin.

da_suns_fan__
11-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Went just as off topic as the Talladega Nights thing did.

I can quote a movie without having to debate the highs and lows of Jim Carey's career (unlike your fellow Texans).

Im guessing Avery Johnson has seen these numbers and is busy scheming of ways to use every possible second of the shot clock. He's not gonna be shown up by Pop.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I can quote a movie without having to debate the highs and lows of Jim Carey's career (unlike your fellow Texans).

That really doesn't have to do with anything. Still went just as off topic. How do you explain that?

da_suns_fan__
11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
That really doesn't have to do with anything. Still went just as off topic. How do you explain that?

I see...so you want to CONTINUE to talk about when you can quote movies and when you can't?

Why are you (and every Spurs fan) avoiding the issue?

I want to see some serious discussion here on the Spurs and their lack of pace.

But thats too much to ask from Texans. Will anyone face this issue like a true fan of basketball?

Discuss.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I see...so you want to CONTINUE to talk about when you can quote movies and when you can't?

I'm not trying to prove when you can and can't. I'm just saying why do you isolate the fact that we were talking about a movie and say how you don't know why it got so "off topic" and then you go and do exactly the same thing just different scenario?

But thats too much to ask from Texans. Will anyone face this issue like a true fan of basketball?

Discuss.

Okay since you want to talk about the lack of pace for the Spurs, okay I can do that.

What does the pace matter? We won championships with this pace.

Findog
11-20-2007, 07:53 PM
What does the pace matter? We won championships with this pace.

THE SPURS ARE BORING AND THE SUNS GET GOOD RATINGS

/basketball genius da_suns_fan

There's your serious discussion twatjuice.

exstatic
11-20-2007, 07:58 PM
One more boring, slow-paced trophy coming up!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
THE SPURS ARE BORING AND THE SUNS GET GOOD RATINGS

/basketball genius da_suns_fan

There's your serious discussion twatjuice.
:lol

ChumpDumper
I notice duh_s0n_fan didn't answer my question.

Mr.Bottomtooth
One more boring, slow-paced trophy coming up!!
OH WHY COULDN'T WE RUN FASTER?!?!? :dramaquee

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I notice duh_s0n_fan didn't answer my question.
Sometimes you just gotta look at yourself in the mirror and say When in Rome...

sprrs
11-20-2007, 09:30 PM

When did Spurs fans ever claim to be exciting to casual fans? They're not. Casual fans like points, and the Spurs don't provide that compared to a team like the Nuggets or Suns. Does it bother us? Not as long as they keep winning. Seeing all those W's is plenty exciting for me.

TampaDude
11-20-2007, 09:37 PM

:lol :lol :lol

picnroll
11-20-2007, 09:48 PM

Discuss.
San Antonio four titles in nine years.

Discuss.

Findog
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Sometimes you just gotta look at yourself in the mirror and say When in Rome...

That doesn't really apply to what I was talking about.

/da_suns_fan

travis2
11-21-2007, 08:15 AM
the Suns get unjustly labeled as a team that plays no D, just because they give up a bunch of points.

OK, I just spit my coffee all over my monitor when I saw this...

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

travis2
11-21-2007, 08:17 AM
I was making joke - sorry to pick on you, but you were the first I thought of and I know you like ragging on DSF.

However, it is spelled non-sequitor... "Non-Sequitur" is a comic strip.

ummmmm...no, "non-sequitur" is correct...

travis2
11-21-2007, 08:17 AM
And to think I wasted my 15,000th post on a Suns fan...

Oh well...there's always 20,000...

1Parker1
11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
:lol If you watch Spurs basketball, you'd see they like the slow pace with scores in the 80's and 90's. Those games work in their favor as they know they have 3 reliable scoring options to get things done on one end, and they are playing good defense at the other end.

There's really nothing to discuss except that's how the Spurs want the pace to be!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 09:12 AM
That doesn't really apply to what I was talking about.

/da_suns_fan
I heard his periods can attract bears.

The bears can smell the menstruation!

cornbread
11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
The real point of concern is that Denver, GS, and Seattle>>>Phoenix.

Does this mean that D'antoni will implement a plan <<<7 seconds or less to ensure their place as the best team/pace. Perhaps 6 seconds or less? Or the ever elusive 5.5 seconds or less?

Discuss.

bdubya
11-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Discuss.

1) Hollinger=Tool.

2) Pistons are 24th; that's waaay too high. Got to find a way to get into the bottom three.

3) Hollinger=Tool.

ambchang
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
The Suns with the way the play are not going to keep teams under a certain amount of points. Granted sometimes you might get teams with offenses so awful that even playing the Suns pace they have trouble reaching 90 much less 100. However the Suns defense is better then it's reputation. They will never be a shutdown defensive team but they are good enough. Look at the Spurs series. Those games were close. There was not one game where the Spurs could pull away. Even in Game 5 it took a Bowen 3 for the Spurs to win by a whooping 3 points. In fact the only blow out game was Game 2 when the Suns won by a big margin.
To note, the Suns started off the last two season decent (top 10) in defensive efficiency, but saw dramatic drops in both seasons towards the tail end of the season to finish middle of the pack. Just by looking at averages, if you start off the 1st half in the top 1/3 and finished the whole season right at the median, it must mean that you are finishing somewhere in the bottom 1/3 in the 2nd half of the season (especially with the relatively narrow distribution of the numbers).

Defense requires a lot of energy, coupled with the frantic style that the SUns play at and with a 7 man rotation, it is difficult for the Suns to keep up with that energy for the whole season. Ultimately, the Suns have to choose between offense and defense, and with playing time of the players being dictated on how well they play offense and not defense, the process will naturally encourage players to exert most of the energy on offense at the end of the season, thus that huge drop.

I expect to see similar trends this year.

ambchang
11-21-2007, 11:41 AM

Discuss.

I went to the local Y and the pace was phenomenal. 21 baskets in less than 15 minutes, and that is with no fouls called. Even with no three pointers, that projects to 134 points in 48 minutes. That rec league team was so entertaining.

Reggie Miller
11-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Ironically, I will be opening a shit waffle stand at the Beijing Olympics! What were the odds?!?

ArgSpursFan.
11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
the spurs are just being the spurs,don't matter what their PACE looks like.
they are the 2nd best Defense in the league,and will be the 1st one by the ASG,that's what really matters.
D wins championships.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Ironically, I will be opening a shit waffle stand at the Beijing Olympics! What were the odds?!?

Well there's only one thing to do in a situation like this...buy new suits!

YAY!

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/pics4/anchorman1.jpg

Kriz-Maxima
11-22-2007, 12:01 AM
1)
2) Pistons are 24th; that's waaay too high. Got to find a way to get into the bottom three.

Agreed.

Now about the Suns pace, they've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Now about the Suns pace, they've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Now what do they do when it doesn't work? Go to the zoo, flip off the monkeys?

Findog
11-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Now what do they do when it doesn't work? Go to the zoo, flip off the monkeys?

Steve Nash is a smelly pirate hooker.

Findog
11-22-2007, 01:26 AM
It's so damn hot. D'Antoni was a bad choice!

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 01:29 AM
It's so damn hot. D'Antoni was a bad choice!
:lmao Knights of Columbus, that hurt!!!

Findog
11-22-2007, 01:35 AM
:lmao Knights of Columbus, that hurt!!!

I'm gonna punch Grant Hill in the ovaries. A straight shot, right to the babymaker, that's what I'm gonna do.

Go Fuck Yourself, Phoenix.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 01:39 AM
http://www.humanvictorycigar.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/image002.gif

Oh, take me to pleasure town!

Findog
11-22-2007, 01:47 AM
http://www.humanvictorycigar.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/image002.gif

In other words, Magic, Bird and Michael pushed basketball's popularity unnaturally high.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 01:49 AM
In other words, Magic, Bird and Michael pushed basketball's popularity unnaturally high.
But you know they're all about having fun. You know, get a couple cocktails, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take their pants off.

Findog
11-22-2007, 01:51 AM
But you know they're all about having fun. You know, get a couple cocktails, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take their pants off.

Amare likes ice cream and a nice pair of slacks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Amare likes ice cream and a nice pair of slacks.
Our ownage over da_suns_fan__ was worse than the time the raccoon got in the copier.

PoleSmoking
11-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Huh ... Speaking of pace, I just watched that Suns-Kings video game. 80 1st quarter points. Yeah, I've done that before in NBA Live 08. No biggie.