PDA

View Full Version : Say it aint so Mario, say it aint so

whottt
06-17-2007, 05:28 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4896427.html

From a slightly different version of the Lindsey article:

Former Rockets guard Mario Elie, who interviewed with Adelman this week, is expected to take a position with Dallas.

whottt
06-17-2007, 05:28 AM
PS...don't let Horry get on the open market.

hsxvvd
06-17-2007, 06:15 AM
I was really hoping Mario would join the spurs staff, when/if we lost PJ.

whottt
06-17-2007, 06:20 AM
He was on the staff already once...in 04. Then he left for GS.

timvp
06-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Elie has proven to be much of a coach. But his toughness around the Mavs can't do anything but help them.

:depressed

whottt
06-17-2007, 06:43 AM
At least he won't be able to step on the court to punish Dirk doublers.

LMAO...I know one thing...the Mavs lockerroom is the last place in the world you are going to want to be after a loss with AJ and Mario in there...talk about some chewed asses. There will be no let up...that might be the one positive. I can't see the Mavs handling it coming from both of them all season long.

boutons_
06-17-2007, 08:38 AM
NBA TV is reporting Larry Brown and SAC talking

Russ
06-17-2007, 08:59 AM
This reminds me of "Citizen Kane" where rich guy Charles Kane (Cuban) tried to build a great newspaper by hiring all the reporters from his chief rival, the city's premier paper.

It ended with Kane having to fire all those great reporters when they wouldn't print what Kane wanted to read about his election loss -- that there was "fraud at the polls." Meglomania rarely ends well.

Strike
06-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Good for them. Larry Brown can go there, do a shitty job and then leave early with a shitload of the Kings money!!!

I'm all for it.

By the way, why is Larry Brown regarded as such a great coach?

spursfan09
06-17-2007, 10:00 AM
How many former SA Spurs is it gonna take for the Mavs to actually not choke and win something?

ducks
06-17-2007, 10:04 AM
how many assistant coaches does the "great aj need"

exstatic
06-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Good for them. Larry Brown can go there, do a shitty job and then leave early with a shitload of the Kings money!!!

I'm all for it.

Because his teams win? Other than New York, which was a talentless train wreck ready to happen.

LB is the only coach to win the NCAA and the O'Brien trophy. He's probably the best Xs and Os coach on the planet. Unfortunately, he eventually alienates his players and front office where ever he goes. He's also a job philanderer, cozying up to other teams when he is under contract.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Hmmm....PJ leaves and LB becomes Pop's assistant head coach.

ducks
06-17-2007, 10:10 AM
um no
lb hates rookies
spurs need rookies

HJNTX
06-17-2007, 10:40 AM
how many assistant coaches does the "great aj need"
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I made it to SA wayyyy after his reign, so I've never felt compelled to be an "AJ fan." I've seen a bit of his "boss," come out in him and it wasn't pretty.

cherylsteele
06-17-2007, 10:41 AM
SAC??...San Antonio College....j/k:D

jag
06-17-2007, 10:54 AM

I'm all for it.

Because he's one of the best in the NBA. Because Pop, RC Buford, and Hank Egan learned most of what they know from him. Because he might have failed with NY but he's taken horrible teams and turned them into title contenders.

SequSpur
06-17-2007, 11:06 AM
wgaf... assistant coaches don't mean shit.

Strike
06-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Because he's one of the best in the NBA. Because Pop, RC Buford, and Hank Egan learned most of what they know from him. Because he might have failed with NY but he's taken horrible teams and turned them into title contenders.

Ok. One NCAA title and one NBA title.

How long has he been coaching?

I don't see how getting a few teams "almost there" warrants the credit he has received.

And let's be realistic. Had the lakers not imploded because of internal shit, do you really think the Pistons would have beaten them in '04?

Blast me if you want but I think dude is way overrated.

Strike
06-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Because his teams win? Other than New York, which was a talentless train wreck ready to happen.

LB is the only coach to win the NCAA and the O'Brien trophy. He's probably the best Xs and Os coach on the planet. Unfortunately, he eventually alienates his players and front office where ever he goes. He's also a job philanderer, cozying up to other teams when he is under contract.

Most of the reasons you just described say to me that he's not as great a coach as people seem to think.

He alienates players, avoids rookies like the plague, pisses off management, and gets into bed with other teams while he still has a job.

X's and O's I'll give you but there is more to being a coach than that.