PDA

View Full Version : James White > Daniel Gibson

Twisted_Dawg
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
All this hype about Gibson got me to thinking about James White.

I think if James White got some playing time, there would be no question he is better than Gibson. Unlike Clevenad, our team is so deep he doesn't get any playing time. Gibson has talent, and can grow into a solid guard, but his playing time is due to Clevenad's injuries and sorry roster.

White played four years for Cincinnati and was the Big East player of the year as a senior. He is very athletic and when he got to play this year, his defense was very impressive not to menton the 17 points he scored as a starter. He was the first player drafted in the second round by Portland which took some of the sting off losing our first pick to NY in the Malik Rose trade.

I hope White stays in SA this summer and works with our shooting coach and the summer league team, and maybe Pop will be patient and try to work him in the rotation somehow. We need some younger, athletic wing men.

lebomb
06-11-2007, 10:08 AM
We need some younger, athletic wing men.

:clap

player_twister
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I hope White stays in SA this summer and works with our shooting coach and the summer league team, and maybe Pop will be patient and try to work him in the rotation somehow. We need some younger, athletic wing men.
:toast

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Von Wafer > White > Gibson :smokin :lol

Extra Stout
06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
James White has proven absolutely nothing in the NBA. Daniel Gibson is basically the only Cleveland Cavalier that has bothered to show up in the NBA Finals.

I would love White to pan out, but his popularity is based upon his ability to dunk and look flashy, not on his game so far.

kskonn
06-11-2007, 10:26 AM
I would love White to pan out, but his popularity is based upon his ability to dunk and look flashy, not on his game so far.

So you are saying that in a couple of year he can be as good as Lebron??? :oops

Extra Stout
06-11-2007, 10:29 AM
So you are saying that in a couple of year he can be as good as Lebron??? :oops
You think James White could do anything on Bruce Bowen, except dribble the ball off his own foot, or shoot an airball?

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 10:34 AM
white so far has shown more than gerald green, or even dorell wright

Borosai
06-11-2007, 10:34 AM
James White!

Darkwaters
06-11-2007, 10:35 AM
white so far has shown more than gerald green, or even dorell wright

Seconded

DarrinS
06-11-2007, 10:46 AM
James White has proven absolutely nothing in the NBA. Daniel Gibson is basically the only Cleveland Cavalier that has bothered to show up in the NBA Finals.

Thank you.

I don't understand all the love for James White. He hasn't done JACK in the NBA.

batman2883
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
James White For President

wildbill2u
06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Gibson has proved he can shoot and isn't afraid to take the shot in pressure situations. Tony needs to stay closer to him in Cleveland.

It's hard to compare the talents of a shooting guard and a SF, but you can compare the time on the court. So far the Rookie Gibson is out performing White in that category by a wide margin. I think if Gibson was on our team he'd be getting some minutes at SG in the playoffs.

player_twister
06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't understand all the love for James White. He hasn't done JACK in the NBA

I take it you didn't see White towards the end of the season. He was great!

Twisted_Dawg
06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Thank you.

I don't understand all the love for James White. He hasn't done JACK in the NBA.

Neither has Scola, Javtokas, Mahimi.....yet fans gush about them non stop.
The very limited play time White got, he was impressive, particulalry his defense. Sean Elliot said he was the most athletic player on the team.
Our team needs some young athletic wing players and he is all we have to get excited about.

Gibson has a great long ball, very poor defensivley and a marginal ball handler. Credit to him....he has shown some offensive nad on a very woeful team that he gets play time for.

Twisted_Dawg
06-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Gibson has proved he can shoot and isn't afraid to take the shot in pressure situations. Tony needs to stay closer to him in Cleveland.

It's hard to compare the talents of a shooting guard and a SF, but you can compare the time on the court. So far the Rookie Gibson is out performing White in that category by a wide margin. I think if Gibson was on our team he'd be getting some minutes at SG in the playoffs.

Nah.....the first defensive mistake he made.....Pop would pull him.

cherylsteele
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Thank you.

True but I wouldn't mind Pop giving him a chance in training camp though...you never know. But at the moment the thread title is absurd.

I would not mind all that much if somehow we got Gibson back-up Tony in the future. He could be a poor man's Speedy Claxton.

Twisted_Dawg
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
True but I wouldn't mind Pop giving him a chance in training camp though...you never know. But at the moment the thread title is absurd.

I would not mind all that much if somehow we got Gibson back-up Tony in the future. He could be a poor man's Speedy Claxton.

Your post is absurd. Get Gibson to back up Tony? How? Trade Beno straight up? Maybe toss in a 2nd rd pick? Trade Brent Barry, Beno, and a second?

Get real. You think Cleveland is just going to give us Gibson? You think even if we offered Beno, Barry our #1 this year and some new jocks for Gibson Cleveland would pull the trigger?

Extra Stout
06-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Your post is absurd. Get Gibson to back up Tony? How? Trade Beno straight up? Maybe toss in a 2nd rd pick? Trade Brent Barry, Beno, and a second?

Get real. You think Cleveland is just going to give us Gibson? You think even if we offered Beno, Barry our #1 this year and some new jocks for Gibson Cleveland would pull the trigger?
No need to be hostile about it.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 11:33 AM
get on up....

get on up

get on up...

ChumpDumper
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
If he continues apace, White's time will come.

Patience.

SsKSpurs21
06-11-2007, 01:03 PM
i feel that just like how people were saying steven jackson wouldnt turn out to be a good player, the same will be the case for james white.

jackson also didnt get playing time his first season on the spurs and he turned to be the starter next season and was VITAL to the title run.

chip england has done a great job with parker and i feel that his work with james white will also help him develop a solid jumper. he is also probably learning defense from bruce bowen. two fine teachers teaching him offense and defense while he is still growing and learning the team concept is a recipe for success.

cherylsteele
06-11-2007, 01:10 PM

I said somehow....it was hypothetical....didn't say it was possible or gonna happen.....which I don't think it will.....Gibson looks like he might be the Cavs' point guard of the future.

You're the one that started this thread with an absurd comparison:
White(little/no NBA experience)>Gibson(NBA finals experience) now that's absurd.

Twisted_Dawg
06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
i feel that just like how people were saying steven jackson wouldnt turn out to be a good player, the same will be the case for james white.

jackson also didnt get playing time his first season on the spurs and he turned to be the starter next season and was VITAL to the title run.

chip england has done a great job with parker and i feel that his work with james white will also help him develop a solid jumper. he is also probably learning defense from bruce bowen. two fine teachers teaching him offense and defense while he is still growing and learning the team concept is a recipe for success.

If White has patience, is willing to work very hard, is willing to listen and learn, is disciplined and focused, he will be greater than Daniel Gibson can ever dream of being. He can learn from so many great people: Tim, Horry, Bruce, Manu, Tony, Finley, even Barry as well as Pop, Carlisamo, & England.

2pac
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
White was screwed out of ROY.

cherylsteele
06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
The very limited play time White got, he was impressive, particulalry his defense.
You're implying he impressive on the offensive as well as defensively?
The limited time he has seen has shown me he need a lot of work to do on his jumps hot, his ball handling skills are almost as bad as mine (which are terrible). His "D" is so-so, he made mistakes and the only way he held his own st times was because of his athleticism Just because a player is athletic doesn't mean a thing.....reference Harold Miner.

Borosai
06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
White was screwed out of ROY.

No doubt about it.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
white couldve won the slamdunk championship at home when he wasnt invited, thats how far he can leap.....

wheres my green text for sarcasm?

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
The caliber of the players on the teams make this comparison nearly impossible. White may be better than Gibson, but White can't crack the rotation, while Mike has no choice but to throw Gibson to the wolves.

cherylsteele
06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
If White has patience, is willing to work very hard, is willing to listen and learn, is disciplined and focused, he will be greater than Daniel Gibson can ever dream of being. He can learn from so many great people: Tim, Horry, Bruce, Manu, Tony, Finley, even Barry as well as Pop, Carlisamo, & England.
The big word is IF. Your thread title implies the right now....which Gibson>>White. Do you know how many players have been in this league because of potential and never did squat? I am not saying White won't be any good, but putting above Gibson right now is just plain absurd....(there's that word again since you love it so :D).

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
The caliber of the players on the teams make this comparison nearly impossible. White may be better than Gibson, but White can't crack the rotation, while Mike has no choice but to throw Gibson to the wolves.
his getting there man...being towel boy is just part of the job, just ask beno

AFBlue
06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Boobie is really good. He was the top-rated PG by many scouts going into his sophomore year, but he didn't do a good job of being the distributor and team leader, so he dropped to the second round. No one ever doubted his scoring ability or defensive intensity, which he has displayed during these playoffs.

He ended up in exactly the right situation, where he could play off the ball and didn't need to be the distributor, but could still guard the opposing PG. I certainly wouldn't mind him backing up TP, but I think he's in Cleveland to stay.

As far as who is better between him and White, I'd say there isn't enough to go on.

TDMVPDPOY
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Boobie is really good. He was the top-rated PG by many scouts going into his sophomore year, but he didn't do a good job of being the distributor and team leader, so he dropped to the second round. No one ever doubted his scoring ability or defensive intensity, which he has displayed during these playoffs.

He ended up in exactly the right situation, where he could play off the ball and didn't need to be the distributor, but could still guard the opposing PG. I certainly wouldn't mind him backing up TP, but I think he's in Cleveland to stay.

As far as who is better between him and White, I'd say there isn't enough to go on.

whats the chances of him backn up parker? throw the MLE at him? i think he can still improve his game....

news just in, cavs are lookn at buyin a pick in upcoming draft....gibson for our last pick?? do brown you know you wanna

Obstructed_View
06-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Beno would actually be good on that team. He doesn't have to handle the ball but he can start the offense and hit outside shots. I keep thinking the Cavs are going to try to get him.

saporvida
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
i'd rather see white out there when we are up by 29 instead of barry. i think white is gonna be something special in the next 2 yrs. i'm hoping he pans out for us...

timvp
06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Gibson is damn good. I'd take him over three James Whites.

You have to remember that Gibson was once upon a time considered a top five pick in the draft ... so the talent is there. Then he busted at UT and his draft stock plummeted.

The kid is tough, has a money jumper and has already proven that he can step up on the big stage and knock down shots. He's done nothing to prove that he's not a championship caliber player.