PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Popovich stressing defensive lapses

Kori Ellis
11-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Spurs notebook: Popovich stressing defensive lapses
Web Posted: 11/24/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112404.4C.BKNspurs.notebook.87b8f892.html

The Spurs shot a combined 41.1 percent in their past two games, but that's not what has coach Gregg Popovich most concerned with Dallas visiting tonight at the SBC Center.

"In my world, the way I think, that's going to happen to us sometimes — that's uncontrollable," Popovich said. "But because that can happen, we can never let down defensively."

The back-to-back losses to Toronto and Memphis should have taught the Spurs that much. After the Raptors made 12 of 18 shots (67 percent) in Sunday's fourth quarter to rally from a 19-point deficit, the Grizzlies shot 48.8 percent on Monday.

"That's not how we play basketball," Tim Duncan said. "We need to stop people better than that."

Spurs clinics: The Spurs are conducting four youth basketball clinics this holiday season.

Each clinic, which is open to boys and girls ages 7-17, will include one hour of instruction from outside coaches, a Q-and-A session with a Spurs player and team competition. Participants will receive a T-shirt and a ticket to a Spurs game.

The four clinics are: Dec. 19 (4:30-7 p.m.) with Bruce Bowen; Dec. 20 (1:30-4 p.m.) with Malik Rose; Dec. 27 (1:30-4 p.m.) with Brent Barry; and Jan. 16 (4:30-7 p.m.) with Devin Brown.

Cost is $40 for one session, $37.50 each for any two or $35 each for all four. Registration deadline is one week before scheduled date of each session.

To register, call (210) 832-9300 or visit spurs.com.

Rummpd
11-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Nice article, wish I lived where my boy could attend the clinics with such great players and men. Typical classy move by the Spurs.

MadDoc

bigzak25
11-24-2004, 10:50 AM
defense is where it starts and ends with our Spurs. bruce led the intensity charge last season....but last season, this conversation was being held in February. Seems Pop wants to ride the teams ass early this year. I understand it, but I hope they don't wear themselves out, especially Manu and Tim, because we've come to rely on those late season surges....and that's obviously where it counts most, team cohesion going into late april.

Manu20
11-24-2004, 11:08 AM
The back-to-back losses to Toronto and Memphis should have taught the Spurs that much. After the Raptors made 12 of 18 shots (67 percent) in Sunday's fourth quarter to rally from a 19-point deficit, the Grizzlies shot 48.8 percent on Monday.
:pctoss

Damn they look like the Mavs D this last two games. Hopefully tonights game against the Mavs the Spurs will play their usual defense and hold them in the 80 point range.

Rummpd
11-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Solution to this - start with a good defensive unit, play a good second unit with Brown, Rose and Barry a lot, (please no Horry more than 5-10 minutes a game and not in 4th) then bring the starter sback in cruch time. Players have to know their roles and right now they do not.
MadDoc

Duff McCartney
11-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Brent Barry should start taking some classes from Bruce Bowen, Brent has been blowing balls on defense.