PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to see Manu Ginobili on the trading block?

Corey8
07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I have no doubt some of you guys would be okay with letting Gino go if the right deal comes along but what deal would it have to be to satisfy you guys?

usckk
07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Not possible.

Fabbs
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
DWade, Lebron, KG.

I don't want to trade him but would do the above for a title chance that even Pop could not screw up.

mabber
07-31-2006, 04:23 PM
I have no doubt some of you guys would be okay with letting Gino go if the right deal comes along but what deal would it have to be to satisfy you guys?

Anythings possible, but the Spurs would need an awfully good 2 guard coming in to replace him. I'm not sure why the Spurs would consider moving him since they've been winning with him as their 2 guard and #2 scorer. There are only a few 2 guards in the league better than Ginobli.

photoguy
07-31-2006, 04:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/0610/photo/manu_ginobili_3vi.jpg
http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/collection/Other%20Puzzles/images/Lights%20Out%20Cube%20%20Tiger.jpg

?

ATX Spur
07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
lebron, dWade...nothing that's even remotely likely to happen

50 cent
07-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Anythings possible, but the Spurs would need an awfully good 2 guard coming in to replace him. I'm not sure why the Spurs would consider moving him since they've been winning with him as their 2 guard and #2 scorer. There are only a few 2 guards in the league better than Ginobli.
Manu was our #3 scorer last year.

Mr. Body
07-31-2006, 04:35 PM
He's the team's secondary heart. Slightly less tradeable than Duncan... teams would have to blow the Spurs away with the sort of offer no team would ever make.

The Big Three, I see only Parker as the tradeable one. If the Spurs get a sense he's plateaued in the next few years, I can see them zipping him out of town while his stock is the highest.

Fabbs
07-31-2006, 04:36 PM
lebron, dWade...nothing that's even remotely likely to happen
Don't tell me you're with the Computer Guy bunch. :elephant
I can't see the Spurs trading Manu.

50 cent
07-31-2006, 04:37 PM
The Big Three, I see only Parker as the tradeable one. If the Spurs get a sense he's plateaued in the next few years, I can see them zipping him out of town while his stock is the highest.
No way. Manu is much more tradeable than Tony if only for the age difference. Tony is still very young and hasn't even come close to peaking. Manu has already peaked most likely.

ducks
07-31-2006, 04:42 PM
other teams would want tony over more because of more upside and does not get hurt and is younger then manu

MoSpur
07-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Manu gets hurt too much because of his style of play. However, that same style of play is what makes him awesome. He does those little things that make a huge difference in a game sometimes. I wouldn't trade him now. Ask me in a couple of years or so and maybe I would.

wildbill2u
07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Possible? Sure, even Duncan would be tradeable for the right price. That's the nature of the business.

But the price for Duncan right now would be so high as to make him untradeable.

The same situation is true for Manu and Parker. It's not whether they are tradeable--but whether the price of the trade would make them untradeable in most scenarios.

mabber
07-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Manu was our #3 scorer last year.

Yeah, but if all things are clicking the way the Spurs want them to Ginobli would be the #2 scorer. I believe the offense is geared that way. I don't think the Spurs are wanting TP to shoot as much as he had to last season.

Jules
07-31-2006, 05:55 PM
If Manu were traded, the Spurs would be offically dismantled.

ATX Spur
07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Don't tell me you're with the Computer Guy bunch. :elephant
I can't see the Spurs trading Manu.

Computer guy? I can't see the spurs trading Manu either.

50 cent
07-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but if all things are clicking the way the Spurs want them to Ginobli would be the #2 scorer. I believe the offense is geared that way. I don't think the Spurs are wanting TP to shoot as much as he had to last season.
Sure they do as long as he keeps shooting a the % that he did last year.

phyzik
07-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Computer guy? I can't see the spurs trading Manu either.

He's talking about the ATX part of your name...

spurschick
07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
:smchode:

exstatic
07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Not now, but don't be totally shocked if they pull the trigger in a couple of years. Manu isn't geared for a long career in the NBA with his style of play. I would say he's WAY more tradeable than Tony, since TP probably has 8 years of high level play left, and Manu, with his style of play and lack of offseason bounce-back caused by his insistance of playing NT ball for ARG, probably has two or three.

ducks
07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
spurs would have let david robinson walk they sure as hell would trade manu for a deal that would better the spurs

spurschick
07-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Not now, but don't be totally shocked if they pull the trigger in a couple of years. Manu isn't geared for a long career in the NBA with his style of play.

I agree, but we've got enough newbies on the team for this season. Unless we would be getting someone young, i.e. Wade, to build the future around, I'm going to stay in the foxhole with Manu for the time being.

exstatic
07-31-2006, 06:50 PM
I agree, but we've got enough newbies on the team for this season. Unless we would be getting someone young, i.e. Wade, to build the future around, I'm going to stay in the foxhole with Manu for the time being.
Oh, definitely not this year. I just think his game is going to fall off a cliff in 3 years or so, and the Spurs may move him, hopefully before it happens so they can get return.

spurschick
07-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh, definitely not this year. I just think his game is going to fall off a cliff in 3 years or so, and the Spurs may move him, hopefully before it happens so they can get return.

But if you, me and everyone else knows this is going to happen shortly, I'd say it kind of brings his trade value down. However, if a team was looking for a Steve Kerr veteran-type down the line, Manu would be a good choice.

What am I saying?! They're going to make me turn in my Church of Manu membership card!

ducks
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
I bet manu goes east

spurschick
07-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I bet manu goes east

China?

Kori Ellis
07-31-2006, 07:26 PM
In reality, anybody is tradeable for the right price.

But "on the trading block" means the Spurs are looking to trade him.

And no, they aren't.

TMTTRIO
07-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Well if that's the case, wouldn't you trade him now while his trade value is still high and you could at least get something valuable with him. By the way I wouldn't trade him unless it was for Lebron or DWade. I think Manu will have a better season this year so let's just be glad we have someone like him.

GrandeDavid
07-31-2006, 08:19 PM
I would hope they wouldn't. Anything is possible. Hell, the Astros were trying to trade Roy Oswalt. Damn. But I'd be shocked, not only because of Manu's game, but his sensational likeability in San Antonio. Fans would go nuts if he got traded. NOW, four years from now? That's another story.

exstatic
07-31-2006, 08:19 PM
I am glad, TMTRIO, and do want to keep him this year, and probably next. The problem is, his contract runs 4 more years. I just think they should explore offers, not necessarily "shop" him, in '08 and beyond.

exstatic
07-31-2006, 08:21 PM
I would hope they wouldn't. Anything is possible. Hell, the Astros were trying to trade Roy Oswalt. Damn. But I'd be shocked, not only because of Manu's game, but his sensational likeability in San Antonio. Fans would go nuts if he got traded. NOW, four years from now? That's another story.
In four years, his value will be "spent veteran". That's not likely to bring much in return.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Three things as yet unmentioned here.

Firstly, for what he produces, we get Manu very cheap. He has enormous value for the money we pay.

Secondly, in terms of franchise demographics, there isn't a better team for Manu than SA with its massive Hispanic population. He is an icon here, where elsewhere he'd just be another great shooting guard.

Thirdly, who is to say that as the years wear down his body, Manu won't modify his game to include more fadeaways and step backs? In fact, I'm hoping he works on the step back jumper because I think it should become a major weapon for him - it is the perfect move to couple with his drives, and if he can create space with it and knock it down he can reduce the wear and tear on his body from driving the whole time.

Is it possible to put Manu on the block? Yes. Is it logical or probable - not for 2-3 years at least.

I hope we keep him for some time to come because I think he's the most exciting baller in the league to watch (including LeB and Wade).

Fabbs
07-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Computer guy? I can't see the spurs trading Manu either. No my post had nothing to do with your handle. I said Computer guy meaning Comic Book Store Owner Guy. The Keyboard Commando bunch on this board who get their panties in a bunch and twist a post you make before running off to their group home. Thus is their reason for existence.

Like on this threads topic. Corey8 clearly said "I have no doubt some of you guys would be okay with letting Gino go if the right deal comes along but what deal would it have to be to satisfy you guys?" so he leaves it open to who you would trade for, meaning he is simply asking. I mentioned DWade Lebron KG simply meaning if GNob was to be traded these are three I could part with GNob for. You know, its simply a hypothetical. The Panty Bunch would come flaming in leaping at the chance to tell you
http://cbg.nohomers.net/images/laptop.gif "The dollar figures dont match with DWade for Manu and Manu for Lebron etc, thus you cannot fathom a trade like this"

I see you are not one of the Comic Book Guys. They seem to have slithered/helicoptered/left off for now.

BlueShark#6
07-31-2006, 10:41 PM
yeah, could happen in 2-3 yrs maybe.

gospursgojas
08-01-2006, 01:43 AM
No my post had nothing to do with your handle. I said Computer guy meaning Comic Book Store Owner Guy. The Keyboard Commando bunch on this board who get their panties in a bunch and twist a post you make before running off to their group home. Thus is their reason for existence.

Like on this threads topic. Corey8 clearly said "I have no doubt some of you guys would be okay with letting Gino go if the right deal comes along but what deal would it have to be to satisfy you guys?" so he leaves it open to who you would trade for, meaning he is simply asking. I mentioned DWade Lebron KG simply meaning if GNob was to be traded these are three I could part with GNob for. You know, its simply a hypothetical. The Panty Bunch would come flaming in leaping at the chance to tell you
http://cbg.nohomers.net/images/laptop.gif "The dollar figures dont match with DWade for Manu and Manu for Lebron etc, thus you cannot fathom a trade like this"

I see you are not one of the Comic Book Guys. They seem to have slithered/helicoptered/left off for now.

:lol
this post made me laugh, there are some guys like that in here

jmard5
08-01-2006, 02:04 AM
He will not be traded. He is an icon backed by loyal Spurs fans and one country. He did well with the Spurs organization and trading him makes no sense.

What the Spurs need right now are solid role players. They will not break the big three.

Solid D
08-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Comments made following OT loss in Game 7 to Dallas: "We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world.

"There's nobody that's a better competitor. I'd jump in a fox hole with him or go anywhere he wanted to go any time."

Sounds like he's on the trading block to me.

Gummi
08-01-2006, 02:48 AM
I think Manu will play his entire career in San Antonio. The fans love him and coach Pop and R.C. love him too.

Manu brings alot to this team that most players couldn't. Sure he gets injured several times a season but that's the way he plays, fearless.

SpursWillOwn
08-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Not now, but don't be totally shocked if they pull the trigger in a couple of years. Manu isn't geared for a long career in the NBA with his style of play. I would say he's WAY more tradeable than Tony, since TP probably has 8 years of high level play left, and Manu, with his style of play and lack of offseason bounce-back caused by his insistance of playing NT ball for ARG, probably has two or three.

without him we would have been down by 20 in mavs game 7 and we would be deemed done for the next season.. and mavs trolls would have another reason to insult us.. without him we wouldn't have another ring in 05.. shouldn't we just ask manu to leave his rocker hair and be like the aggressive warrior he was in 05?

Kori Ellis
08-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Corey8 = Lakerfan?

SpurCapita
08-01-2006, 03:40 AM
Corey8 = Xcoriate...From way down...blunder?

TOP_MODEL_M
08-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Manu brings and means much more than his stats show. He has a whole lot of intangibles, just like Timmy, Bruce and Tony. Manu should be a Spur for life. There are much more important things than fiscal discipline.

Obstructed_View
08-01-2006, 04:43 AM
No my post had nothing to do with your handle. I said Computer guy meaning Comic Book Store Owner Guy. The Keyboard Commando bunch on this board who get their panties in a bunch and twist a post you make before running off to their group home. Thus is their reason for existence.

Vote for Fabbs NOW. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46194) :tu

mabber
08-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Comments made following OT loss in Game 7 to Dallas: "We would have two less championships here if it wasn't for Manu Ginobili," Popovich said. "In my book, Manu Ginobili is the stud of the world.

"There's nobody that's a better competitor. I'd jump in a fox hole with him or go anywhere he wanted to go any time."

Sounds like he's on the trading block to me.

While Pop probably means most of this, he'd say it in that situation regardless. Don't read too much into it as it's what most coaches say after a tough loss where one of their best players messed up. He was just trying to stop/slow down the swarm of "what's up with Ginobli fouling" questions that were on their way.

waly.mg
08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Only for Dwade or Lebron, and not for KG, because Manu is too cheaper and for the NBA media is underpayed, but Parker is in the right level

If we want to trade Manu for KG, you must to package him with Eric Williams, Barry and Oberto for KG

cheguevara
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I beleive it's possible Spurs trade Manu. But very,very unlikely. They would have to get a superstar. Or a couple of really good players.

Manu for Jeffries and Jamison?(and maybe Daniels) that would be great cause Manu would move to my hometown :smokin

ducks
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Only for Dwade or Lebron, and not for KG, because Manu is too cheaper and for the NBA media is underpayed, but Parker is in the right level

If we want to trade Manu for KG, you must to package him with Eric Williams, Barry and Oberto for KG

spurs paid more then what denver was willing to

waly.mg
08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
El Comandante esta con problemas

CaptainLate
08-01-2006, 11:07 AM

As I've said, the way Manu plays and the fact he keeps playing year round with the stupid Argentine nat'l team, he's got only 2-3 good yrs left before his body starts breaking down.

So I'd trade straight up for a younger, all-star SF (mid-20's) who can both shoot AND defend.

waly.mg
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Do you think then right now, we can sign Manu for 52 Millions and 6 years, when there´s a Lot of 60 Millions 5 Years contracts

ducks
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM

yeah because kg is >manu :rolleyes :rolleyes

I would trade tp or manu for him but not both
I would be more hesitant with tp because he is younger though

SpursWillOwn
08-01-2006, 11:13 AM
kg sux

waly.mg
08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes but Look at this point:

KG 21 Millions
TD 17.4 Millions
Tony Parker 9.5 Millions

Almost all the Salary Cap in 3 players

With this players in the same Team, only with Bench Players you are over the Luxury Tax Cap

TMTTRIO
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Since everyone is talking about trading him because he gets older, why did the Spurs sign him to a long term contract in the first place anyways since they already know about his playing style and his summer playing? The could've done a shorter contract with him. I would really hate to see him go somewhere else especially after he's done a lot for our team. I don't think he's going to be worthless in two years. I think he can still adjust his play and still be a good role player.

GrandeDavid
08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
In four years, his value will be "spent veteran". That's not likely to bring much in return.

Exactly. I just don't see him getting moved out of San Antonio.

Solid D
08-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Boredom forum.

NorCal510
08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
hell nah he aint getin traded cuz i just bought that ninjas jersey id be hella pissed if this pimp got traded