PDA

View Full Version : My solution: Start Finley bench Bruce

whottt
05-01-2006, 11:47 AM
It's not about who can defend Bonzi, not one of our swing players can...Finley, Manu, Barry and Bruce all do an equally crappy job...He goes through them all like a knife through hot butter.

But Finley is our biggest swing guy...he goes 6'7 220, he's actually bigger than Bonzi..

On top of that he is a better rebounder than Bruce(this is key) and he can make Bonzi play D better than Bruce...he puts more pressure on the Kings D than Bruce.

Switching out Barry for Manu will not work here...#1. Barry has settled into his bench role and he now gets time initiating the offense and creating and he does a great job of it.

#2. Manu actually did a pretty good job against Aretest defensively, Manu's flopping comes in handy if nothing else. And he's still an offensive threat.

This allows us to put Bruce on Kevin Martin(someone Bruce can be effective against). And Bruce, not Barry, Manu or Finley, is our top 3 point shooter...he can be effective stretching the Kings D when their subs are in.

Ron Artest is not the problem.
Mike Bibby is not the problem.
Brad Milelr is not the problem.

Bonzi Wells and his 22 rbpg average is the problem...for most of the game Bonzi was only 5 boards short of matching our entire teams total.

Oh...and the time is now to get that long 3...or at least a heavier guy...

Stephen Jackson, Hedo and even Glenn Robinson would all be serving us well right now...

We cannot put this off any longer...and no I don't think Sanikidze is going to be what we need(at least not if we want to win a title).

BigVee
05-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Well one thing is for certain. If there are not some changes this series will end badly. If the Spurs bring the same game plan, same sub pattern, same tired offense, same lack of effort....they are going to get the same result. When the ball is up for grabs and no one on your team goes after it, all the other stuff becomes unimportant. The Spurs need to be sprawled out on the floor like the Kings have been. Wouldn't worry to much about saving anything for the next series, because at this effort level, there will not be one.

MannyIsGod
05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I think Finley has done the best job on him so far in the series although thats still not saying much. I really doubt we'll see that, but you never know. I woudln't mind it at this point.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Oh...and the time is now to get that long 3...or at least a heavier guy...

Stephen Jackson, Hedo and even Glenn Robinson would all be serving us well right now...

We cannot put this off any longer...and no I don't think Sanikidze is going to be what we need(at least not if we want to win a title).

Why not? He's a 6'9 small forward. Isn't that what you are looking for?

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 12:41 PM
But Finley is our biggest swing guy...he goes 6'7 220, he's actually bigger than Bonzi..

Bonzi weighs around 245. Don't look at his list weight from 10 years ago.

timvp
05-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Starting Finley over Bowen makes more sense than starting Rasho over Nazr. Rasho finally got in a rhythm and was playing his best basketball of the season off the bench ... until he went back into the starting lineup.

I would defend Bowen right now but I just don't see the fire in him.

mabber
05-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Y'all are high! As much as I love Finley (I'm a long time Mav fan) he should continue to come off the bench. Yes, Bowen is having a hard time on defense vs. Bonzi but Bonzi does that to anyone when he's focused. I've been impressed by the way Pop has handled Finley's playing time, etc.. I think Finley coming off the bench with some scoring punch is the perfect situation for him at this stage of his career. Finley is going to shoot decently 2 of every 3 games. I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but he pretty much has a lame game that 3rd game.

Slinkyman
05-01-2006, 12:59 PM
My solution: Don't go small, have 2 bigs on the court at all times. Put Duncan on bonzi and force him to beat us with jump shots and NO MORE DOUBLE TEAMS. Play them straight up, and if they can beat us with jump shots fine. No more easy lay ups and put backs!

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 01:00 PM
My solution: Don't go small, have 2 bigs on the court at all times. Put Duncan on bonzi and force him to beat us with jump shots and NO MORE DOUBLE TEAMS. Play them straight up, and if they can beat us with jump shots fine. No more easy lay ups and put backs!

I agree with stop going small. When Artest and Bonzi are huge compared to anyone we have and Bonzi is dominating the glass like top notch PF, Finley isn't the solution. They need a big on him.

weebo
05-01-2006, 01:07 PM
#1 The Spurs need to run more. They need to get out on the break and put the pressure on the Kings defense. The game's tempo has been in the king's favor. Drive to the basket when the oppurtunity arises and get to the line (eventhough our freethrow shooting is poor). Also, get Duncan more involved. No one player on the kings can gaurd him straightup. Force them to double and hopefully that will open up some shots from the three point line.

#2 Rebounding, or lack thereof, has been the glaring issue for the Spurs in this series and all year long. Rebounding is a matter of effort and concentration. Both of which the Spurs do not have. Rule one of rebounding is boxing out your opponent for position--this includes gaurds for long rebounds.

#3 Collective defensive instensity. Bonzi Wells didn't turn into Lebron James overnight. The Spurs have been slow on defense, slow on rotations, and just plain slow. An occassional zone might force the kings into a few more jumpshots but I think our bigs have to do a better job of protecting the bucket. Rotating baseline has been slow in coming when either Wells, SAR, or Artest run weakside isolation.

# 4 Finally, more EFFORT. The effort wasn't there the last two games. The Spurs have looked old and beat up. We need guys diving for loose balls, fighting for rebounds, and being more emotional. Last night they looked a lot like the Spurs of .4. Bascially they looked shell shocked. If they want it, if they truly are great competitors, they'll find the heart and will to give everything they have to win.

GrandeDavid
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Rather than juggling the lineup, I'd like to see the Spurs just bring an asskicking, smack em in the grill attitude from the opening tip like they did in Game1. The Spurs have been in this situation before and I have little if any doubt they'll come through this series. No excuses, the Spurs just pussed out in Game4. Give Sacramento credit, though. I think EVERYBODY will show up tomorrow. I know I'll be live and loud at the game.

Gin N Juice
05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
The past 2 games have made them look old and slow.

mavsfan1000
05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Bowen plays much better at home!

nkdlunch
05-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Another "solution" :rolleyes

How about start playing championship defense?

TDMVPDPOY
05-01-2006, 01:22 PM
theres a reason why whott is not the spurs coach or gm :D:D

Thekid
05-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Y'all are high! As much as I love Finley (I'm a long time Mav fan) he should continue to come off the bench. Yes, Bowen is having a hard time on defense vs. Bonzi but Bonzi does that to anyone when he's focused. I've been impressed by the way Pop has handled Finley's playing time, etc.. I think Finley coming off the bench with some scoring punch is the perfect situation for him at this stage of his career. Finley is going to shoot decently 2 of every 3 games. I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but he pretty much has a lame game that 3rd game.

I'm a HUGE Finley fan also but I have to agree, Fin should still come off the Bench. Fin DOES need more shot attempts but I agree coming off the Bench I think he can be more effective than putting him in the starting lineup. Although right now Bowen is giving the Spurs NOTHING.

Que Gee
05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Starting Finley over Bowen makes more sense than starting Rasho over Nazr. Rasho finally got in a rhythm and was playing his best basketball of the season off the bench ... until he went back into the starting lineup.

I would defend Bowen right now but I just don't see the fire in him.

Look for Tim to guard Bonzi next game.

Winnipeg_Spur
05-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure about Duncan on Bonzi, I suspect he doesn't have the speed to stay with him, but it would be worth a shot. I kinda like Duncan on Artest though, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that. It also would be nice to see two bigs out there and some sort of zone, but then the question is which two bigs? No one other than Duncan seems to be rebounding (Rasho was playing pretty well, until game 4 when he gave them 2 rebounds in 24 minutes :()

Mavtek
05-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Ultimately another problem with your swingmen is their age. The Spurs only have 1 of 4 swingmen under the age of 30 (Ginobli). As we age our speed and hops greatly reduce. I think if Finley, Bowen, and Barry weren't at a stage of decline this might be less of an issue.

This dynasty maybe over, it's great to have 3 great young players in Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, but I think the Spurs organization has a made a grave mistake trying to surround them with senior citizens.

polandprzem
05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Bowen plays much better at home!

You mean video games?

ShoogarBear
05-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Well, to be fair, the Spurs tried to get younger with JR Smith and they have young legs in the pipeline in Europe so it's not like they aren't already planning for the eventual departure of Bowen, Horry, Finley et al.

But yeah, right now (and maybe next year) they are getting hurt by younger legs at both the 3 and 4.

implacable44
05-01-2006, 02:52 PM
that might be true - might be true - time will tell if the veterans pay off in the end and deliver another championship as they have in the past. The Mavs are in a good position no matter who comes out of this series. This could be the Mavs year. I still think the Spurs will get them if they execute because the Mavs have no answer for TD.

mabber
05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
This dynasty maybe over, it's great to have 3 great young players in Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, but I think the Spurs organization has a made a grave mistake trying to surround them with senior citizens.

I disagree completely about the Spur's organization making a grave mistake. As much as I don't want to disagree with another Mav fan that statement is way off. They've built this team to win another championship this season. They'll continue to build around the big 3 with different pieces each year. At some point they'll go younger but bringing in older players was not a grave mistake by any means.

ducks
05-01-2006, 02:54 PM
so you must think spurs will beat kings wow

mabber
05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
so you must think spurs will beat kings wow

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I definitely think the Spurs will beat the Kings. Like I mentioned in a post I started earlier, I'm hoping they do cuz I want to see the Mavs take down the Spurs.

leemajors
05-01-2006, 03:03 PM
#1 The Spurs need to run more. They need to get out on the break and put the pressure on the Kings defense. The game's tempo has been in the king's favor. Drive to the basket when the oppurtunity arises and get to the line (eventhough our freethrow shooting is poor). Also, get Duncan more involved. No one player on the kings can gaurd him straightup. Force them to double and hopefully that will open up some shots from the three point line.

Sac. is playing great transition d. Every time the ball is outletted to parker and he starts the break he is going 1 on 2 at the best. sac is gearing to stop the break and defend the 3 point line. getting out on the break won't be that easy.

LEONARD
05-01-2006, 03:03 PM
1. Finley is NEVER a defensive solution

2. Wells would torch Duncan like Josh Howard does when Bowen is locked up on Dirk every possession...

RON ARTEST
05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Look for Tim to guard Bonzi next game.
:lol are you serious? bonzi would go right by him. :lol

mabber
05-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Wells would torch Duncan like Josh Howard does when Bowen is locked up on Dirk every possession...

It will be interesting to see how the Spurs guard Dirk in the next round. I guess they'll just continue to change it up within the game to try to keep Dirk slightly off balance. I do know that watching film of the way Memphis has tried to cover him ain't gonna help :lol

I'm hoping the Memphis players just aren't that bright and that Fratello is not coaching them to allow him wide open shots. :lol

whottt
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Why not? He's a 6'9 small forward. Isn't that what you are looking for?

C'mon Kori...Sanikidze hasn't even proven he can make it the French League, much less be a key contributor(especially defensively) to a title contending team...And to top all of that off...somehow I get the feeling that the Spurs didn't draft Sanikidze for his defensive expertise.

RE: Bonzi 245lbs...you are probably rigtht about that, I just lifted his stats off ESPN, although to me Bonzi doesn't look that heavy(245lbs)...he's just got a huge upper body and he has always been that way...but he certainly could weigh that much...

In any case, he's too heavy for Bruce and there is no doubt Finley is our biggest swing. No one is stopping Bonzi, and I don't think it's because they lack heart, and it has always disturbed me that that is the first criticism Spursfans make. I just think Bonzi is too strong for them. But in any case, Finley is the best of our swings at drawing fouls and making defenders work, after Manu.

Let's make Bonzi use some of that energy playing D and give him some fouls to manage. My guess is that Bonzi isn't in good enough shape to go from being a part time player for much of the past few years to being a 38 MPG player on both sides of the ball and still be as dominant as he has been. Plus Mike is capable of offsetting Bonzi's dominance with points of his own. If we can stick a big body in front of Bonzi to cut his rebounding, his points will see a similar decline...It's his rebounding(and subsequent scoring off of it) that is killing us more than anything else.

implacable44
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Spurs guard Dirk in the next round. I guess they'll just continue to change it up within the game to try to keep Dirk slightly off balance. I do know that watching film of the way Memphis has tried to cover him ain't gonna help :lol

I'm hoping the Memphis players just aren't that bright and that Fratello is not coaching them to allow him wide open shots. :lol

bowen is always -- always able to give Dirk fits. He gets in Dirk's head everytime they play. that is one thing bruce can do - guard shooters.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
C'mon Kori...Sanikidze hasn't even proven he can make it the French League, much less be a key contributor(especially defensively) to a title contending team...And to top all of that off...somehow I get the feeling that the Spurs didn't draft Sanikidze for his defensive expertise.

I have never seen the guy play, so I don't know. But from what I thought, defense was the reason they drafted him. He's not a shooter or anything.

mabber
05-01-2006, 04:03 PM
bowen is always -- always able to give Dirk fits. He gets in Dirk's head everytime they play. that is one thing bruce can do - guard shooters.

Those days are gone in regards to giving Dirk fits. All good defenders that were around Bowen's size had given Dirk fits in past years but he's learned how to handle them this season. Dirk has done really well vs. Bowen, Artest, Marion & Battier this season. It was his #1 priority in the offseason.

SA Gunslinger
05-01-2006, 04:08 PM
This is a good idea. Bruce is overmatched against Wells and Artest. I also like the idea of using Horry on Wells.

Bruce is still a valuable asset to use on Bibby if needed. After getting a little sleep, I feel better about tomorrow.

Also, this is off topic a little but Horry and TP will be on Jim Rome is Burning tomorrow.

whottt
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I have never seen the guy play, so I don't know. But from what I thought, defense was the reason they drafted him. He's not a shooter or anything.

IIRC Sanikidze was drafted for his shooting, rebounding and finishing ability...and what made him a project was the fact that he was considered too light and weak to be a viable SF in the NBA(IIRC he weighed under 200lbs at the time he was drafted), mainly because he couldn't handle the position in defensively. He's probably put on some weight since then(since he was 18 or 19 when he was drafted) but I don't envision some skinny 210lb Euro coming over and being the defensive solution to Bonzi and Artest...

You are more in touch with the Spurs than I am and I certainly could be wrong about what his talents were...but IIRC Sanikidze was drafted for his offensive skills(this fact has probably been lost because, from what I saw, he got dominated and played poorly in the French League).

zocool16
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
finley does not rebound better than bowen, just that.

implacable44
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Those days are gone in regards to giving Dirk fits. All good defenders that were around Bowen's size had given Dirk fits in past years but he's learned how to handle them this season. Dirk has done really well vs. Bowen, Artest, Marion & Battier this season. It was his #1 priority in the offseason.

If you say so.

RON ARTEST
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
This is a good idea. Bruce is overmatched against Wells and Artest. I also like the idea of using Horry on Wells.

Bruce is still a valuable asset to use on Bibby if needed. After getting a little sleep, I feel better about tomorrow.

Also, this is off topic a little but Horry and TP will be on Jim Rome is Burning tomorrow.jim rome said earlier that the spurs better get their collective shit together or they will be fishing earlier then they thought. much much earlier.

RON ARTEST
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
wow if he doesnt rebound better then bowen then he must really suck at it. :lol

mabber
05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
If you say so.

I know so! :hat

whottt
05-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Finley has pulled down over 6 board per game before and has a career rbpg aver of nearly 5. Even Barry has pulled down over 5 boards per game before. Bruce is the worst rebounder of all our swings.

Check facts first before before backing yourself into a corner with a statement from your ass.

Kori Ellis
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
IIRC Sanikidze was drafted for his shooting, rebounding and finishing ability...and what made him a project was the fact that he was considered too light and weak to be a viable SF in the NBA(IIRC he weighed under 200lbs at the time he was drafted). He's probably put on some weight since then but I don't envision some skinny Euro coming over and being the defensive solution to Bonzi and Artest...

You are more in touch with the Spurs than I am and I certainly could be wrong about what his talents were...but IIRC Sanikidze was drafted for his offensive skills(this fact has probably been lost because, from what I saw, he got dominated in the French League).

I see him all the time and he's still skinny. Honestly I don't know anything about him. I always thought the scouting reports were that he had a good touch but really bad shooting technique. And that his strengths were his athleticism, long arms, length, rebound and defense. He's really young and I don't think he's played anywhere this whole season. So I honestly don't know what to expect of him.

But he's been hanging out in S.A. all year, so I'm guessing them are expecting him to come on board soon. He'll be in summer league, so we'll get to see what kind of player he is.

SA Gunslinger
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
jim rome said earlier that the spurs better get their collective shit together or they will be fishing earlier then they thought. much much earlier.

Most hardcore Spurs Fans are well aware of Jim Rome's hatred for the Spurs. But I thought I would let everyone know he is interviewing TP and Horry tomorrow. That is all.

Slinkyman
05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
:lol are you serious? bonzi would go right by him. :lol

Not likely, duncan would play off bonzi giving him the jump shot and if bonzi tried to drive Tim would sent that shit to row 9. The point of putting Tim on bonzi when sac. goes small is that it would eliminate the mismatch of bowen, manu, etc. trying to box out bonzi, no way in hell bonzi gets more then 10 rebs with tim boxing him out. no Orebs no 2nd chance points = spurs win by 10

leemajors
05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Not likely, duncan would play off bonzi giving him the jump shot and if bonzi tried to drive Tim would sent that shit to row 9. The point of putting Tim on bonzi when sac. goes small is that it would eliminate the mismatch of bowen, manu, etc. trying to box out bonzi, no way in hell bonzi gets more then 10 rebs with tim boxing him out. no Orebs no 2nd chance points = spurs win by 10

normally i would agree, but bonzi drove right by tim several times last night and tim basically backed off.

v2freak
05-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Solid evidence, but one just cannot bench Bruce.

J.T.
05-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Should just let Wells get his and shut down the rest of the team. It worked against Phoenix. Rebounds is a problem though.

MI21
05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Tim could handle Bonzi. Pop put Timmy on Quentin Richardson in the early games of last seasons WCF, and Q and Bonzi are essentially twins in regards to body size/weight. Tim would back off Q enough so he couldn't drive around him, but his extra height and length was enough to bother Q's jumpshot despite being backed off. Tim on Bonzi for stretches would be a fantastic move.

Benching Bruce, I just don't see it happening. It isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, and I wouldn't be completely against it, I just don't see Pop doing it. Finley definitly has the strength to compete with Bonzi, I laugh when opposing swingmen take Finley down low, he is basically impossible to move once he plants his feet and gets position, the guy is very strong. One problem is with more Finley, I don't like idea of when play is broken and Finley has to pick up lets say Mike Bibby, that's bad news for Fin.

Bottom line though, I just don't see Pop benching Bowen after 4 years of starting him.

Brutalis
05-01-2006, 10:52 PM
As if our defense isn't looking bad already... yeah.. let's bench Bowen.

DallasRepresentin
05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
LMAO@Bonzi Wells being 6'5 210. Someone is lying. That guy is easily bigger than Finley and Bowen. He's a big guy. That's why he's having his way with Bowen.