PDA

View Full Version : Suns recognize Parker's shooting

Manu20
03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Suns recognize Parker's shooting

Web Posted: 03/18/2006 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031806.7C.BKNspurs.parker.223fd143.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs' point guard Tony Parker took Phoenix Suns' forward Boris Diaw, his good friend and fellow Frenchman, to lunch on Friday afternoon and got some good news along with the entrees.

"I had lunch with Boris, and he told me, 'We're not going to leave you alone any more,'" Parker said after his three 17-foot jump shots in the final 4:29 helped the Spurs score a 108-102 victory over Diaw's Suns at the AT&T Center on Friday night. "He said, 'We see that you are working.'"

The Suns' defensive strategy in three previous games against the Spurs this season had been an insult to Parker's jump shot. By putting power forward Shawn Marion on Parker, then having Marion double team Tim Duncan whenever the ball went inside, they challenged Parker to shoot.

The fact Parker made 12 of 21 shots in the Spurs' 117-93 victory in Phoenix on March 9 helped convince Suns' coach Mike D'Antoni to keep Steve Nash on him most of the time Friday night.

"Tony Parker hits every freaking shot no matter who we put on him," D'Antoni said. "The little ass." :lol

D'Antoni's insult, of course, was meant as a compliment to Parker's improved shooting, and Parker took it that way.

"It means they respect me, and they're not going to leave me alone any more," said Parker, who had six assists for the game and a couple of defensive stops in crunch time.

Parker persevered in a game in which he struggled mightily for the better part of three quarters. The Spurs' leading scorer this season, Parker got off only one shot in the first half, scoring only three points. He had only seven heading into the final quarter.

"I think in the past couple years I didn't react that well if I had a bad first half," Parker said.

Things changed in the fourth quarter when the Suns again chose to have Nash leave Parker so he could double-team Duncan. Twice, Spurs' guard Manu Ginobili recognized that Parker had been left uncovered and got the ball to him for uncontested jumpers.

"Manu had confidence to pass it to me," Parker said. "Steve Nash was staying with Timmy. I was wide open and I knocked down shots."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich played Parker nearly the entire second half — all but 2 minutes, 45 seconds — and Parker responded.

"I thought Tony did a great job of really stepping up when he wasn't having a very good game. Down the stretch he really stepped up on both ends of the court," Popovich said.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Not sure if that's good, I really liked Tony's shooting exhibition against the Suns in Phoenix

T Park
03-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Not sure if it's good?

That means single coverage for Timmy, or no coverage on Mohammed, Ginobili, or Bowen.

Parker's jumper being more deadly is nothing but GREAT things for the Spurs.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Not sure if that's good, I really liked Tony's shooting exhibition against the Suns in Phoenix

I was talking with spurschick about this exact thing last night.

I actually do like it for this reason. If Tony's defender isn't the one to double Tim, somebody else will - leaving the Spurs with the opportunity to start the outside game working early.

Last night, it worked out just like that, except the outside shots just weren't falling. But then, if that's the way it's going to be against the Suns, then without a strong inside presence (although I know they'll have Kurt Thomas back by the later rounds if the and the Spurs make it), the rebounds will rack up for the Spurs (see last night's offensive rebounding totals).

T Park
03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
The one good thing, Kurt Thomas is kind of a hack, and if Duncan is smart enough, he can get Thomas in foul trouble pretty damn quick.

If Tony's defender isn't the one to double Tim, somebody else will - leaving the Spurs with the opportunity to start the outside game working early.

Exactly.

Mohammed, Bowen, Ginobili, Finley, Barry will all have open shots.

boutons_
03-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Tony's "little ass" jumpers were particularly deadly last night in the 4th.

And Tony's jumpers hurt the Suns badly last game @PHX.

Tony's in Mike's head. :lol

exstatic
03-18-2006, 01:41 PM
'We're not going to leave you alone any more,'

Except that they did leave him alone in the 4th on a regular basis. The Suns are so full of shit. They go and get ONE good defender in Raja Bell, and they think they are a vastly improved defensive team. BZZZZZ. But thank you for playing. One defender can be picked off, and with your lazy-ass to non-existant help defense, you are no better than before.

The only way they will become a premier defensive team is to fire D'Antoni and bring in a coach that actually stresses defense, instead of just talking about it.

PM5K
03-18-2006, 01:43 PM
They also have to respect his jumpshot, which can open up him getting passed people for inside shots...

T Park
03-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Except that they did leave him alone in the 4th on a regular basis. The Suns are so full of shit. They go and get ONE good defender in Raja Bell, and they think they are a vastly improved defensive team. BZZZZZ. But thank you for playing. One defender can be picked off, and with your lazy-ass to non-existant help defense, you are no better than before.

The only way they will become a premier defensive team is to fire D'Antoni and bring in a coach that actually stresses defense, instead of just talking about it.

While I agree.

Last night the Suns shut the paint pretty good to Ginobili and Parker, wich is one thing that bothers the Spurs quite a bit.

So Id say they've improved in other areas.

rayray2k8
03-18-2006, 03:46 PM
I cant believe he accually said that.
But i know he was just compliment.

mavsfan1000
03-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Why was Nash guarding Parker so much? They should've done cross matching with Bell on Parker and Nash on Bowen.

yeahone
03-18-2006, 07:01 PM
it shows hard work pays off

Bruno
03-18-2006, 07:23 PM
"I think in the past couple years I didn't react that well if I had a bad first half," Parker said.

It's maybe the main reason why TP is better this year : he is way more mature. He is a better leader and try something different when he struggles instead of forcing his game : it makes him more consistent.

1Parker1
03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
The one thing Tony really needs to work on are his TO's. His TO to Assist ratio is something like 1.85 to 1...which is pretty substandard for a PG. Lately it seems as if every game he has at last 3-5 turnovers.

boutons_
03-18-2006, 07:25 PM
"I cant believe he accually said that."

Did you catch the Mike was already "trash talking" Tony in the game @PHX when Tony was raining jumpers on Suns in the first half?

Tony was walking to the bench for a timeout and Mike said something like "Hey, Tony, it would be nice if could miss a few of those shots!" :lol

T Park
03-18-2006, 07:28 PM
The one thing Tony really needs to work on are his TO's. His TO to Assist ratio is something like 1.85 to 1...which is pretty substandard for a PG. Lately it seems as if every game he has at last 3-5 turnovers.

True.

But, hes learning.

Bruno
03-18-2006, 07:30 PM

It' not that bad, lots of Parker's turnover came from lost ball in the paint, not bad pass.
TO to assist ratio isn't a great stat, most of Parker turnover should be considered as missed FG, not missed assists.

Obstructed_View
03-18-2006, 07:42 PM
True.

But, hes learning.
You can't learn not to turn the ball over, or we wouldn't have given up on Udrih already.

T Park
03-18-2006, 07:46 PM
"What the fuck was that?"
--Danyelle Sargent

myhc
03-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Parker's jumper>Dasani>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mike D'Antoni

Spurologist
03-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Parker's jumper>Dasani>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mike D'Antoni

:lol Dasani. Playoffs. D'antoni.

Bruno
03-19-2006, 07:32 AM
Parker shoots 50% (34-68) from 16 or more feet since the ASG. :elephant
If he can continue like that (even 45% will be really good) until the end of the season, Chip and Parker's hard work will deserve a lot of props.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2006, 09:25 AM
i dont wanna say this since im a tp hater, but havin steve nash on tp is disrepecting tps game, cause steve nash doesnt play defense.

5ToolMan
03-19-2006, 09:55 AM
i dont wanna say this since im a tp hater, but havin steve nash on tp is disrepecting tps game, cause steve nash doesnt play defense.

The problem for the Suns is that Nash and the Suns are no more effective having Nash guard Bowen. Because of Bowen's heigth advantage he can still get off his set shots, especially after Nash cheats, as he always does, trying to slow penetration of Tony, Manu or Barry, or to double Tim. This year Bowen has demonstrated an increased effectiveness in putting the ball on the floor to moving in for a midrange shot. Bowen would have little problem getting off good shots against the defensive limited Nash.

exstatic
03-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Why was Nash guarding Parker so much? They should've done cross matching with Bell on Parker and Nash on Bowen.
Bell's designated match is Manu. That's why PHO went and got him.

TDMVPDPOY
03-19-2006, 10:50 AM
dont they also have james jones, who was meant to go against our gaurds? so much for the hype and boasts, when these guys were Fas.

leemajors
03-19-2006, 11:13 AM
manu got james jones in early foul trouble. i believe the first play of the game was a foul on jones, and he picked up another in the first 5 mins. tony was incredibly clutch on phoenix, and the switching on nash would have backfired if he didn't nail those j's. he also did a good job holding down d and not letting diaw back him down too easily on the switches.

NCaliSpurs
03-19-2006, 12:13 PM
It' not that bad, lots of Parker's turnover came from lost ball in the paint, not bad pass.
TO to assist ratio isn't a great stat, most of Parker turnover should be considered as missed FG, not missed assists.

Astute post. I would say most of Parker's turnovers in his career are off of strips that happen while he agressively attacks the basket. I would take those kinds of turnovers any day, since they indicate that Parker is attacking.

Bruno
03-19-2006, 01:14 PM
^^ in fact the better way to consider Parker turnover is to consider some of them as missed FG : 3.1 TO and shooting 55% and 2.1 TO and shooting 50% are equivalent.

A better stat to judge how parker is turnover prone is the Bad Pass/Turnover ratio :
Bibby : 3.5
Arenas : 3.6
Iverson : 4.0
Parker : 4.1
Miller : 4.5
Nash :4.5
Kidd : 4.9
Davis : 5.2
Billups : 6.6
Paul : 8.4 :spin

He is not a top player but isn't as bad as his ast/to ratio let think.