PDA

View Full Version : wtf is wrong with you people?

TDfan2007
12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
THE REGULAR SEASON IS IMPORTANT!!!!!

Many of you think that the spurs will just run into a telephone booth at the end of the season and become Superman in time for the playoffs. They are not payed an unholy amound of money to just coast through the regular season. HCA is a big factor this year and if we keep putting up this kind of shittacular effort night in and night out we won't be the #1 seed for long.

I'm not frieking out about last night's loss to OKC or the loss to the Hawks earlier in the month. What I am frieking out about is this teams disturbing lack of effort night in and night out and their complacency with where they're at.

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Oh, Gee!!
12-19-2005, 01:22 PM
"frieking"

is that german?

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
It is so December right now....

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 01:34 PM
No doubt. Seems like we have this conversation every year. Chicken Littles come around and lament losses to bad teams -- and curiously, never seem to point to wins over good teams in that process -- screaming that the sky is falling, that the Spurs will fritter away a chance at HCA, that the Spurs don't care, and so on. And every year, the Spurs find a way to end up with HCA for at least a round or two -- in 3 of the last 7 years, to win titles and in 2 of the other years, to lose to the eventual champion.

Yes, Spurs fan newcomers, there is much to be concerned about. :rolleyes

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I believe in the 03-04 season the Spurs started out 9-10. They went on to a pretty decent record, finishing first in the divison, and having HCA for the first two rounds. We remember what happend in the second round don't we?

HCA doesn't mean shit, and Robert Horry proved that when he hit the three in Game 5.

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:38 PM
spurs fan newcomers because we don't have 3,000 posts and didn't join this site till recently?

LAMLAMLAMAOAMLAMALAMLA

He means because you piss and moan at the first sign of trouble. Bandwagoners is a better word.

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 01:38 PM
spurs fan newcomers because we don't have 3,000 posts and didn't join this site till recently?

LAMLAMLAMAOAMLAMALAMLA

Spurs fan newcomers who apparently didn't go through the agony of the 80's and 90's -- who have only known a Spurs team that genuinely competes for titles.

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 01:39 PM
He means because you piss and moan at the first sign of trouble. Bandwagoners is a better word.

I was trying to be polite.

pache100
12-19-2005, 01:39 PM
No doubt. Seems like we have this conversation every year. :rolleyes

Apparently we have this conversation EVERY DAY now. Like I have said before...IT'S EARLY! The season is young. I don't care how many games the Spurs lose in December and January. What matters to me is how many they win in May and June (16 would be nice)!

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:40 PM
but were was GM 1,2,6,7?

you seemed to leave out the home clinching game

Point in case. The Game 6 was a clincher as well, and the Pistons took it from us. HCA isn't as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. The Spurs took care of the Suns and the Sonics on the road last year as well.

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, you have to win regular season games to make it to the playoffs.

You have to win regular season games to get a good higher seed...

Regular season matters...

That is true, I'm not saying the regular season doesn't matter, but everyone is complaining because the Spurs dropped a few games, with Manu sidelined and Tim injured mind you, and year after year they still don't understand that the Spurs peaker after the All-Star game, and the Rodeo Rode trip, whenever that is this year.

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I was a Spurs fan through the 90s, but not the 80s because I was too young to know what the fukk was going on in any sport

Well, you must not have learned much in that time. I'm too used to seeing Spurs teams have wonderful -- even dominant -- regular seasons only to flame out when it matters most. I'd much prefer a team that builds and grows through the early season to peak when the playoffs roll around. If you'd rather do it the old way, so be it, but curiously, the way that I prefer has resulted in 3 titles.

By the way, FWIW, I'm almost 100% certain that this (19-5) is still the best start in the history of the Spurs franchise.

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:44 PM
bandwaggon fan for being upset because my team lost to the hornets?

you must not know how sports fans, dipshit

For someone constantly dissing Tony and Tim, you must not know shit about Sports in general, dumbass.

ChumpDumper
12-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Um, that's six.

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:46 PM
3-4 @ home

1-2 @ Det.

yeah, HC means nothing :rolleyes

I love it how you portray the Spurs as such a terrible team that they can't win on the road.

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
dissing Duncan by saying he could do better then 11pts?

please stop making yourself look dumb

If you haven't noticed, Tony Parker has been carrying this team the entire season and all you ever fucking do is say "Holt Cat has Kidd's agent on speed dial."

Grow the fuck up dude. You're making yourself look stupider than most already thought you were.

1Parker1
12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Is it just me, or are a lot of these threads sounding the same? Normally, I don't bitch about these kind of things, seeing as how I'm not the forum police, but even I'm getting annoyed by it.

We get it. Spurs don't have that killer instinct like the Lakers and Bulls of past and they suck at back to back games and have lost to shitty, lottery bound teams. Get over it. Bring some new material to the table.

:depressed

Kori Ellis
12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
dissing Duncan by saying he could do better then 11pts?

please stop making yourself look dumb

You do realize that Duncan has an injury, right?

Also, the Spurs haven't lost HCA to anyone yet. They are 19-5 -- a game and a half behind the Pistons for the best record in the league. And there's still nearly sixty games left in the regular season.

There's a long, long way to go.

Everyone would love to see the Spurs burying other teams. But the season is a marathon. There's no reason to freak when Manu is injured, Barry/Finley missed some time, Tim has a lingering injury, etc.

Leetonidas
12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Is it just me, or are a lot of these threads sounding the same? Normally, I don't bitch about these kind of things, seeing as how I'm not the forum police, but even I'm getting annoyed by it.

We get it. Spurs don't have that killer instinct like the Lakers and Bulls of past and they suck at back to back games and have lost to shitty, lottery bound teams. Get over it. Bring some new material to the table.

:depressed

:tu

remingtonbo2001
12-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm surprised at such talk. Well, I was a Spur fan from Robinson's 1st season. I was about 6 years old. I remember loosing to Portland. The first time I had felt pain that wasn't physical. For those only apart of the Tim Duncan era, this has little use. I remember, through the early to mid 90's, the Spurs would put up an outstanding record during the regular season, only to fall in the first and second rounds. Then Houston, I refuse to talk about this, as in my mind, it didn't happen. Look, since Timmy has come along, the Spurs usually start off slow. They've been doing this every year. When Feburary, March comes around, they start kicking ass. It wouldn't make a difference if Michael Jordan was on this team, we would still start off slow. It's just who we are. Accept it. When June comes, we'll be there. Stop worrying about. We have the greatest foward in the game.

tlongII
12-19-2005, 02:00 PM
You do realize that Duncan has an injury, right?

Also, the Spurs haven't lost HCA to anyone yet. They are 19-5 -- a game and a half behind the Pistons for the best record in the league. And there's still nearly sixty games left in the regular season.

There's a long, long way to go.

Everyone would love to see the Spurs burying other teams. But the season is a marathon. There's no reason to freak when Manu is injured, Barry/Finley missed some time, Tim has a lingering injury, etc.

Yes, this is the biggest problem with the beloved Spurs. They are injury-prone. Duncan will likely need surgery before the end of the regular season.

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Sure, HCA means something. But the Finals last year showed that in order to win a big series, you have to be able to win on the road. And the difference between having HCA and not having HCA is one home game.

Championship teams don't win titles by sweeping their home games -- titles are won on the road.

And, again, the Spurs have the best record in the Western Conference in December. That is a huge advantage for them, historically speaking, because in the Popovich-Duncan era, the Spurs are 164-63 after the All-Star break (.722) a number that is diminished by the injury-plagued 18-11 they put up last season. To play at that pace this season would mean that the Spurs were actually slowing down.

travis2
12-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Ignorance is curable.

Stupidity is forever.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes, this is the biggest problem with the beloved Spurs. They are injury-prone. Duncan will likely need surgery before the end of the regular season.

You better stop right there with your injury talk. Karma will come back and get you. And even though the Blazers can't get much worse -- you don't want to see anything happen to Matt Hasselbeck, do you? Well neither do I.

So just shutup while you can.

cherylsteele
12-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I was a Spurs fan through the 90s, but not the 80s because I was too young to know what the fukk was going on in any sport
You still don't....you are one of those cliff-jumpers who think the world just ended with EVERY LOSS.

Sure I am disappointed but I understand the bigger picture. We start off slowly every year but end up vying for the NBA best record.

Yes....I was a fan in the early 80's when just getting to the playoffs was a chore and a success if we actually made it. The early 80's were even more difficult with ICE, Artis, Mitch, Moore, etc. so close you could taste a title only to be the bridesmaid never the bride.

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 02:06 PM
You still don't....you are one of those cliff-jumpers who think the world just ended with EVERY LOSS.

Sure I am disappointed but I understand the bigger picture. We start off slowly every year but end up vying for the NBA best record.

Yes....I was a fan in the early 80's when just getting to the playoffs was a chore and a success if we actually made it. The early 80's were even more difficult with ICE, Artis, Mitch, Moore, etc. so close you could taste a title only to be the bridesmaid never the bride.

I remember when it was big news for the Spurs to win 50 games in a season. Now, it's just an expectation -- can you imagine what this forum would look like if the Spurs failed to win 50 games? Given the tenor of some of these posts, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

E20
12-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Don't worry the Spur will finish with a record of:

77-5 :tu

ObiwanGinobili
12-19-2005, 02:08 PM
la dee da .. la de dum da la tra la la .. ooohhh la tra la la te da.

FreshPrince22
12-19-2005, 02:10 PM
HCA doesn't mean shit, and Robert Horry proved that when he hit the three in Game 5.

Think of it this way. Without homecourt advangtage, you would have had to beat us twice in the Palace. It took an incredibly clutch shot (And a huge defensive error) for the Spurs to win 1 game by 1 point in the palace. The Pistons won the other 2 by an average of 24 points per game. Do you really like your chances in another game against a great opponent? I know it burned my Pistons last year. Why do you think they're busting ass to get HCA this year?
________
Volcano herbal vaporizer (http://vaporshop.com/)

spurschick
12-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh for God's sake... step back from the ledge. I seem to remember them sucking ass for a couple of games during the finals too. We all know how that turned out.

G-Nob
12-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Popovich didn't look too worried last night so neither will I. Our best basketball is ahead of us. Not to mention last year we began 20-5.

cherylsteele
12-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I remember when it was big news for the Spurs to win 50 games in a season. Now, it's just an expectation -- can you imagine what this forum would look like if the Spurs failed to win 50 games? Given the tenor of some of these posts, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.
I remember 82-83 when they won 53 games it was huge news....alas they lost to the Lakers that year. I also remember the year we went 21-61....god it was heart breaking, but hen I saw the big picture....DRob was coming.

I remember Mo Mchone getting fired after we were 11-20 in 84-85 and Bob Bass took over and made a run the the playoffs to fall short.

I remember the year we got creamed in the first round by some 40-45 pts to Lakers. Back the Spurs "D" was an oxymoron.

It is a totally different feeling now...and it feels great.....I did not jump then....I certainly won't jump ship now....unlike some people

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Think of it this way. Without homecourt advangtage, you would have had to beat us twice in the Palace. It took an incredibly clutch shot (And a huge defensive error) for the Spurs to win 1 game by 1 point in the palace. The Pistons won the other 2 by an average of 24 points per game. Do you really like your chances in another game against a great opponent? I know it burned my Pistons last year. Why do you think they're busting ass to get HCA this year?

I think there's some validity in that, but at the same time, there's a focus that comes with opening a big series on the road. Great teams find that focus and use it to get a win before heading home; good teams get swamped and then try to rely on being at home as a solution (by the way -- I'm not trying to make a point about last year's Pistons here; my point is general and I didn't see the Pistons like that). Good teams, though, don't win titles.

There's obviously something to be said for winning the most games and all of that -- but there's also something to be said for going through the process and building through adversity to become better equipped to handle tough spots down the road. I'd rather that the Spurs deal with some rough spots through January, but have those experiences to carry them in tight situations in April, May, and June -- to learn who and what works and who and what doesn't work in crucial moments of games. If they lose some in that process, that's life.

E20
12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
I think there's some validity in that, but at the same time, there's a focus that comes with opening a big series on the road. Great teams find that focus and use it to get a win before heading home; good teams get swamped and then try to rely on being at home as a solution (by the way -- I'm not trying to make a point about last year's Pistons here; my point is general and I didn't see the Pistons like that). Good teams, though, don't win titles.

There's obviously something to be said for winning the most games and all of that -- but there's also something to be said for going through the process and building through adversity to become better equipped to handle tough spots down the road. I'd rather that the Spurs deal with some rough spots through January, but have those experiences to carry them in tight situations in April, May, and June -- to learn who and what works and who and what doesn't work in crucial moments of games. If they lose some in that process, that's life.

I.E

Suns vs Spurs
2005 NBA Playoffs Western Confrence Finals.

Extra Stout
12-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Many of you think that the spurs will just run into a telephone booth at the end of the season and become Superman in time for the playoffs. They are not payed an unholy amound of money to just coast through the regular season. HCA is a big factor this year and if we keep putting up this kind of shittacular effort night in and night out we won't be the #1 seed for long.

I'm not frieking out about last night's loss to OKC or the loss to the Hawks earlier in the month. What I am frieking out about is this teams disturbing lack of effort night in and night out and their complacency with where they're at.

:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss
In order to make it through an 82-game season intact, a veteran team cannot act as if every single game is as important as Game 7 of the Finals.

In most recent years, the Spurs would be something like 14-10 at this point, even with a healthy squad. 19-5 is a luxury. That's 19-5 with their second-best player chronically injured, and with their best player hobbled. That's 19-5 with a point differential that says they really ought to be 16-8.

Even with their troubles, they've still logged wins over pretty much every halfway decent team in the West.

Kori said it. It's not a sprint; it's a marathon. I'm sorry if I don't freak out if they don't have the best record in the league wire to wire. I hardly see the point of a team peaking in December anyway.

Ballcox
12-19-2005, 02:32 PM
We should set up some kind of hotline for all these cliff jumpers after the Spurs lose a game. You know, someone to talk them down, restore them back to sanity after freaking out about games in DECEMBER. Personally, I'm on a natural high every day watching this Spurs team play, it's a thing of beauty.

tim_duncan_fan
12-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Homers are so annoying. Guys you are supposed to bitch when your team doesn't put forth any effort. No one is really jumping ship because we lost to the Hornets, a few people are just irritated because the team refuses to really try(at least I hope the team isn't trying) and win games. It seems like the spurs are just lying down to anyone who won't just let them win.

101A
12-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Why do you think they're busting ass to get HCA this year?

Because they have an inexperienced playoff coach. That's why.

The Spurs have played exactly TWO game sevens in the past 16 YEARS!!

That's how many time HCA has mattered.

THREE TIMES Spurs have had best record AND NOT won dick. This last season they didn't even have HCA in the West AND DID WIN!

Lakers, Rockets AND Jazz have sent the Spurs home with their most embarasing playoff losses from lower seeds.

Tim Duncan ONLY loses playoff series to teams with two GOAT'S in their prime on them. There ain't one of those teams this year. Spurs will win.

pache100
12-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Homers are so annoying. Guys you are supposed to bitch when your team doesn't put forth any effort. No one is really jumping ship because we lost to the Hornets, a few people are just irritated because the team refuses to really try(at least I hope the team isn't trying) and win games. It seems like the spurs are just lying down to anyone who won't just let them win.

did you read any of the posts in this thread, or just the title?

tim_duncan_fan
12-19-2005, 02:55 PM
did you read any of the posts in this thread, or just the title?

That was relevant genius. The thread was about the spurs just cruising through the reg. season and not really caring when the drop games. In other words when we should have destroyed the Hawks, Hornets, we lost because the spurs are too lax because they dont think the reg. season matters much.

pache100
12-19-2005, 02:59 PM
That was relevant genius. The thread was about the spurs just cruising through the reg. season and not really caring when the drop games. In other words when we should have destroyed the Hawks, Hornets, we lost because the spurs are too lax because they dont think the reg. season matters much.

That's what I thought.

Extra Stout
12-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Sorry... I'm not willing to see Parker and Duncan play 40+ minutes now on the second game of a back-to-back just so they can be 20-4 instead of 19-5.

That extra mileage would show up in the late spring.

It's not about being a "homer." It's about having followed the team for a while, and getting a sense of what really matters. It's very easy to get on an emotional roller coaster with each passing game depending on the result.

polandprzem
12-19-2005, 03:21 PM
la dee da .. la de dum da la tra la la .. ooohhh la tra la la te da.
That is what I was thinking :)

pache100
12-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Sorry... I'm not willing to see Parker and Duncan play 40+ minutes now on the second game of a back-to-back just so they can be 20-4 instead of 19-5.

That extra mileage would show up in the late spring.

It's not about being a "homer." It's about having followed the team for a while, and getting a sense of what really matters. It's very easy to get on an emotional roller coaster with each passing game depending on the result.

What he said ^

remingtonbo2001
12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Alright, I'll admit it, the Pistons are a LITTLE scary. While their starting lineup remains unchanged, the Pistons are beginning to utilize certain players....cough, cough...Rasheed Wallace. Chauncy, Ben, Tashaun.....I'm not the least intimidated by these players. But Rasheed, when he decides to put forth an effort, is a very effective player. The key word though, DECIDES. I'm curious to see how long this blue collar effort lasts. My only comfort facing these Pistons in the Finals, FLIP SAUNDERS. Seriously, FLIP SAUNDERS. How can I take that Seriously? FLIP SAUNDERS. Yeah, there regular season record may look pretty, but I surely would want someone else on the bench during the FINALS. Maybe Kid Rock, at least he's been there.

MadDog73
12-19-2005, 03:52 PM
If the Spurs win against Detroit in the Palace on Sunday, will that shut you people up?

(I doubt it.)

What's the opposite of a homer, someone who absolutely has no faith in their team to the extent they are crying about a 19-5 record in frickin' December?

A boner?

TDfan2007
12-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Guys I didn't post this thread because I'm ready to "jump a cliff". I'm just concerned with the Spur's lack of aggression. Sometimes it seems like they aren't even trying. I'm not a bandwagon fan for wanting my team to put forth some effort. I started really getting into the NBA in the beginning of the 02-03 season. My favorite team has always been the Spurs. I've never pulled a T-Park and most of the time I haven't even come on here bitching after losses. Every fan has the right to desire for their team to put forth some effort. The Spurs have been lackadasical on defense and on the boards this year. Those are the hustle categories.

I guess what I'm trying to say is (and yes I'm guilty of overembelishing) don't attack posters who complain about their team's lack of effort.

wuxia
12-19-2005, 06:26 PM

I feel the same way, I'm not "overreacting" at all. Its just that it annoys me to see the lack of effort and intensity out there.

CosmicCowboy
12-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey...they are gonna lose 15-20 regular season games...everyone does...I actually think it's funny who they are losing to...it's like since that first loss to Dallas they sat down with the schedule and circled all the teams that they were sure wouldn't even make the playoffs and decided to only lose to them...:lol

Vingianx
12-19-2005, 10:44 PM
No matter what everyone says...they seem to forget what he did against the clippers game to send it to O.T. they forget when he post big double doubles..he slacks off a bit n everybody is trying to jump the ship...

tim_duncan_fan
12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Nope. Tony's the man now.

Vingianx
12-19-2005, 10:51 PM
We'll see in the finals JUNE 2006

TDfan2007
12-19-2005, 11:16 PM

:idiot

Tony and Manu get most of their points because the other team is so focused on stopping Tim.

Banks91
12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
cmon man, dont say that. Duncan is great and all, but lets not overdramatize. Ginobilli can create for himself quite nicely, only thing he gains from is that he doesnt get doubled team. And parker gets most his points off pick and roll drives

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-19-2005, 11:54 PM
This really isn't a debate is it?

The Spurs can win without TP or Manu..

They can't win without TD...

wuxia
12-19-2005, 11:54 PM

No he's not. TP is nothing more than an average PG w/o Tim. Don't forget who got the team the 3 rings. Tony has not fared well in the playoffs to say the least. He still has alot more to prove.

dbreiden83080
12-19-2005, 11:58 PM
The Spurs do not need the 1 seed in the west to go back to the finals. Come on they spanked the Suns all over their home court last year in the west finals. Is this years Dallas team better that last years suns, i don't think so.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-20-2005, 12:01 AM
IMO, HCA only matters between the Spurs and the Pistons.

dbreiden83080
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Tim has been fetching guys rings practically by himself since the day he was drafted.

Dingle Barry
12-20-2005, 12:55 AM
No he's not. TP is nothing more than an average PG w/o Tim. Don't forget who got the team the 3 rings. Tony has not fared well in the playoffs to say the least. He still has alot more to prove.

Tony has done his fair share of choking due to his Frenchness, but to say he is an average guard sans TD is fucking idiotic at the very best.

tim_duncan_fan
12-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Who's been carrying us THIS season? I would like it to be Tim but frankly, Tim's been slacking compared to TP this year.

Vashner
12-20-2005, 01:17 AM
S T F U .....

Tim is trying to manage things so he stays off the injured list...

He's saving it for the playoff fools.

Leetonidas
12-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Look at it this way...

The Spurs are playing like shit and they have a 19-5 record, best in the West, and second best overall.

The Pistons are playing amazingly well and they have a 19-3 record, best in the East, and best overall.

If the Spurs can play like shit and maintain that good of a position, I can't wait until they start playing halfway decent.

Our "terrible" Spurs are playing with no Manu and an injured Tim, and we still manage to maintain a .792 record, and yet some fans continue to complain. Aren't we spoiled?

boutons
12-20-2005, 01:34 AM
"19-5"

Play like Champions, pull their heads out of their asses, hustle, and beat crappy teams like Atlanta and NO, and the Spurs would be 21-3.

The only team to compare the Spurs to is the Pistons.

"I can't wait until they start playing halfway decent."

You have no choice but to wait. Check back in March, or later, apparently.

Leetonidas
12-20-2005, 01:41 AM
They'll get the message soon enough. I think they'll get it together when Manu comes back. Finley is insane right now. That's the bright spot.

wuxia
12-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Who's been carrying us THIS season? I would like it to be Tim but frankly, Tim's been slacking compared to TP this year.

That would be TD, check out his efficiency and PER... He's head and shoulders above TP, but this arguement is moot. TD's presence makes it easier for Tony, and he made Tony the player he is, not the other way around. Only retards don't recognize this...

travis2
12-20-2005, 08:03 AM
We should set up some kind of hotline for all these cliff jumpers after the Spurs lose a game. You know, someone to talk them down, restore them back to sanity after freaking out about games in DECEMBER. Personally, I'm on a natural high every day watching this Spurs team play, it's a thing of beauty.

Personally I'd prefer a hotline telling them where the nearest cliff is.

SequSpur
12-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Spurs will drop 3 more games this week.

travis2
12-20-2005, 08:14 AM
http://www.chellman.org/isaac/past/cliff%20jumpers.jpg

pache100
12-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Hey...they are gonna lose 15-20 regular season games...everyone does...I actually think it's funny who they are losing to...it's like since that first loss to Dallas they sat down with the schedule and circled all the teams that they were sure wouldn't even make the playoffs and decided to only lose to them...:lol

Right. As I said before, in another thread, it's more important to me that they expend energy on beating teams that will matter in the long run (i.e., teams they will have to deal with in the playoffs). If they can beat them, I'm not worried about the teams that don't matter and will not be a factor in the playoffs. So far, they are right on the money on that. Don't worry about them losing to the insignificant teams now. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, as long as they can beat the contenders.

pache100
12-20-2005, 08:42 AM

I think...more importantly...Tony and Timmy are "the men" TOGETHER.
Player G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% PPG
Tim Duncan 24 24 35.9 .499 .333 .673 20.3
Tony Parker 24 24 35.2 .544 .250 .667 20.1

THAT'S AMAZING!

Go, Tony and Timmy!

pache100
12-20-2005, 08:46 AM
That would be TD, check out his efficiency and PER... He's head and shoulders above TP, ...

He's not at the moment. Have you troubled to look at the stats?

FromWayDowntown
12-20-2005, 10:58 AM
He's not at the moment. Have you troubled to look at the stats?

Tim IS head and shoulders above Tony -- and wuxia is right to say that Tim Duncan makes Tony as good as he is. Tony is a talented player, but he's more effective because he plays with Tim.

The numbers wuxia points to aren't straight up statistical averages. They are metrics that try to account for every aspect of the game to measure a player's worth. And those metrics say that Tim is still at the very top of the league in all-around play, even if he shoots the ball poorly or doesn't grab a gazillion rebounds every night.

When you add it all together, Tim Duncan is the whole reason that the Spurs ever have a chance to win titles.

pache100
12-20-2005, 11:09 AM
When you add it all together, Tim Duncan is the whole reason that the Spurs ever have a chance to win titles.

I don't disagree with that. But, the fact is, at the moment, Tim and Tony are statistically neck and neck. That's all I was saying.

(and I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that no one is happier about that than Tim Duncan; that's just the kind of guy he is and what REALLY puts him "head and shoulders above" everyone else)

mathbzh
12-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Did someone notice that BB is a team sport?

Why do you need THE man.

KG or AI are the man... but their team suck.

Just for fun the top scorers... and team results:

Allen Iverson , PHI 13W/12L
Kobe Bryant , LAL 13W/11L
LeBron James , CLE 13W/9L
Gilbert Arenas , WAS 9W/14L
Dwyane Wade , MIA 14W/11L
Dirk Nowitzki , DAL 18W/6L (first top team)

To win, we need:
A great TD, an improved TP, a Gino back to the top.
But also:
Bruce defense, a more consistent Finley, a decisive Horry...

Even Jordan was not able to win alone

easjer
12-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Man, it is true that Spurs fans will bitch about anything.

If they had a worse record, it would be that, but it's tough to argue with the best record in the West and the second best in the league, so we'll argue instead about WHICH losses they were and how the wins were no good either, since there wasn't enough passion.

Okey-dokey.

Piss and moan all you want. There is no reasoning with someone who doesn't like reality.

FromWayDowntown
12-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Did someone notice that BB is a team sport?

Why do you need THE man.

KG or AI are the man... but their team suck.

Just for fun the top scores... and team results:

Allen Iverson , PHI 13W/12L
Kobe Bryant , LAL 13W/11L
LeBron James , CLE 13W/9L
Gilbert Arenas , WAS 9W/14L
Dwyane Wade , MIA 14W/11L
Dirk Nowitzki , DAL 18W/6L (first top team)

To win, we need:
A great TD, an improved TP, a Gino back to the top.
But also:
Bruce defense, a more consistent Finley, a decisive Horry...

Thank you, Dr. Naismith. :lol

I don't disagree, but I do think that there is a reason the Spurs are competitive every year and it's entirely bound up in the guy who wears #21. Take him away, and that group might compete for playoff spots, but not much more than that. The Spurs need the other guys to play for the gold ball, but there's no chance for a gold ball if there is no Tim Duncan here. It's as simple as that.

pache100
12-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Piss and moan all you want. There is no reasoning with someone who doesn't like reality.

:lol :tu :cat

cherylsteele
12-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Sure...I am disappointed in the Spurs' vs. the lesser teams but I am confident that will change...it always does...usually around rodeo road trip time in Feburary.

Like some someone posted they are playing like crap and are carrying the 2nd best record in the League...hell even the Pistons sometimes struggle against lesser teams (they llost in Utah). Come on people get a grip.

Sure TD is the main reason we win consistenly....but without a solid supporting cast he would be just another great player on a 2nd tier team that cimes close but doesn't get over the hump.

boutons
12-20-2005, 06:13 PM
they llost in Utah

Utah played out of their minds (+28 RBs), not like a lesser team.
Just as Portland played out of the minds to beat the Spurs @POR last season.
Just like an Arenas or Allen Houston hitting everything he throws up.

Those games just happen to every superior team.

That's not the same as the Spurs playing shitty or mediocre basketball to lose to a lottery Atlanta or NO playing jsut OK basketball.

King
12-20-2005, 06:17 PM
__Tim Duncan is one knee injury away from his career being over.__

__And the Spurs don't have God on their side, either.__

Extra Stout
12-20-2005, 06:20 PM
These posts from boutons seem familiar. Last year after every Spurs loss, he said they lost because they played badly, but whenever Phoenix or Detroit lost, it was because of a fluke, injury, or unusually good night by their opponent.

Playoff results:
Western Conference Finals: The Phoenix Suns won once against the mediocre San Antonio Spurs; however they lost four times, twice because of a Joe Johnson injury, once because of an unusually good night by the Spurs, and once on a fluke.

NBA Finals: The Detroit Pistons showed their dominance by beating the San Antonio Spurs three times, twice by convincing blowout. However, Detroit lost four times, once because the Spurs played unusually well, once on a freak blowout, once on a lucky shot, and once because of foul trouble.

Extra Stout
12-20-2005, 06:21 PM
__Tim Duncan is one knee injury away from his career being over.__

__And the Spurs don't have God on their side, either.__

God loves Dallas now because of A.J.

cherylsteele
12-20-2005, 06:26 PM
they llost in Utah

Utah played out of their minds (+28 RBs), not like a lesser team.
Just as Portland played out of the minds to beat the Spurs @POR last season.
Just like an Arenas or Allen Houston hitting everything he throws up.

Those games just happen to every superior team.

That's not the same as the Spurs playing shitty or mediocre basketball to lose to a lottery Atlanta or NO playing jsut OK basketball.

Isn't rebounds considered a hustle stat? So the Pistons just didn't hustle? I think such a huge differnce is an indication of playing poorly...or not showing up at all...Pistons are supposed to be great team...maybe they should trade the team.
Portland won last year.....hello....Mcfly...we won a title.

We also lost to the Hawks last year too....refresh my memory...didn't we win the title last year even though we had similar lapses in effort?