PDA

View Full Version : The Dame Effect

exstatic
10-19-2023, 02:44 PM
Terry Stotts, who coached Lillard for 9 years in Portland, took an assistant gig in Milwaukee earlier this summer. He stepped down today.

TD 21
10-19-2023, 03:14 PM
A good old fashioned SpursTalk favorite game of: Blame The Black Man (with zero evidence or logic to support your theory). You may remember it from past episodes such as . . .

The 76ers cut Bassey/Champagnie, blame Rivers (as if he were the president or GM or contending coaches are known to play fringe youth lacking pedigree over veterans).

Any black coach wins a championship, it was because of the talent. Any white one does, it was because of their genius.

Don't like any Spurs transaction of the past half decade? Blame Wright (not the president and clearly lacked authority early on).

exstatic
10-19-2023, 03:28 PM
I don't see it as a black/white thing, more of an "I'm tired of coaching this asshole" thing. Nine years is a long time to coach a star player.

Seventyniner
10-19-2023, 03:34 PM
I don't see it as a black/white thing, more of an "I'm tired of coaching this asshole" thing. Nine years is a long time to coach a star player.

Especially when they only won 4 playoff series in those 9 years.

exstatic
10-19-2023, 03:45 PM

They used to run plays, an offense, in Portland, then it became Dame coming downcourt, and chucking it up from near half court. I'm sure that wears on a coach.

T Park
10-19-2023, 03:54 PM
A good old fashioned SpursTalk favorite game of: Blame The Black Man (with zero evidence or logic to support your theory). You may remember it from past episodes such as . . .

The 76ers cut Bassey/Champagnie, blame Rivers (as if he were the president or GM or contending coaches are known to play fringe youth lacking pedigree over veterans).

Any black coach wins a championship, it was because of the talent. Any white one does, it was because of their genius.

Don't like any Spurs transaction of the past half decade? Blame Wright (not the president and clearly lacked authority early on).

lol what

TD 21
10-19-2023, 04:07 PM

Except he supposedly had a great relationship with Lillard and the latter comes off as far down the list of "assholes" in terms of superstars/stars of this era.

Word is, this is about "philosophical" differences between Griffin and him.

spurraider21
10-19-2023, 04:08 PM

Doc is awful

timtonymanu
10-19-2023, 04:11 PM
Seems like the issue was between him and griffin. Not Dame.

exstatic
10-19-2023, 04:13 PM
Except he supposedly had a great relationship with Lillard and the latter comes off as far down the list of "assholes" in terms of superstars/stars of this era.

Word is, this is about "philosophical" differences between Griffin and him.

Well, that was a short honeymoon.

TD 21
10-19-2023, 04:15 PM
Doc is awful

Despite the propaganda, he's no worse (or better) than the majority. The notion of a "good" coach is a myth and the only bad ones are those who either lack ethics and are shameless self promotors (Nurse) or presence (Silas).

spurraider21
10-19-2023, 04:18 PM
Despite the propaganda, he's no worse (or better) than the majority. The notion of a "good" coach is a myth and the only bad ones are those who either lack ethics and are shameless self promotors (Nurse) or presence (Silas).
sure, but i'm not concerned with the majority. most coaches are inconsequential because the teams simply arent good enough anyway

whether the spurs had pop last year or the worst coach in the nba last year, the outcome wouldnt have been drastically different. doc has coached nothing but high end contenders for the last 15 years and has consistently disappointed

exstatic
10-19-2023, 04:27 PM

When you set the coaching record for most 3-1 playoff series leads blown, it's not a good thing. I've never seen a coach move through the league through as many stops, and have the fanbase absolutely hate him at every stop.

TD 21
10-19-2023, 04:28 PM
sure, but i'm not concerned with the majority. most coaches are inconsequential because the teams simply arent good enough anyway

whether the spurs had pop last year or the worst coach in the nba last year, the outcome wouldnt have been drastically different. doc has coached nothing but high end contenders for the last 15 years and has consistently disappointed

With the exception of the '20 Clippers, who mentally quit in the "bubble", he hasn't had the best team on paper since the '09 Celtics, who were done in by Garnett's career altering knee injury.

Sure, the '15 Clippers collapse to the Rockets and the '21 76ers collapse to the Hawks were embarrassing, but the former was because Smith and Brewer, two of the worst high volume 3-point shooters in history, going berserk on pull-ups and the latter was because Embiid was hurt and Simmons developed a mental block.

When you set the coaching record for most 3-1 playoff series leads blown, it's not a good thing. I've never seen a coach move through the league through as many stops, and have the fanbase absolutely hate him at every stop.

Obviously not, but that's just lazy results without context.

Chinook
10-19-2023, 04:37 PM
I'm not going to be guilted into defending Lillard, blackness or not. Dude's low-key one of the most toxic players in the NBA and has been no matter who's been on the other side. I have no idea why Stotts left, but I don't think it changes anything. Lillard asked for a trade and has in general been the victim of the hype he's cultivated. A lot of folks see MKE as the clear best team after this deal. If they don't win with in the next couple of years, it'll be a huge shot to his legacy.

Mr. Body
10-19-2023, 04:53 PM

That's way better than, say, Anthony Davis in New Orleans.

TD 21
10-19-2023, 05:03 PM
I'm not going to be guilted into defending Lillard, blackness or not. Dude's low-key one of the most toxic players in the NBA and has been no matter who's been on the other side.

Not sure how my saying by all accounts he didn't have anything to do with this is what you described.

That's way better than, say, Anthony Davis in New Orleans.

Another perfect example of lazy results without context analysis. Pretending as if everyone has virtually the same opportunity and it's just a matter of being "clutch" (another myth).

Chinook
10-19-2023, 05:25 PM
Not sure how my saying by all accounts he didn't have anything to do with this is what you described.

My thing is that 1) We don't have assume anyone is "at fault" in the sense that it's okay to withhold judgment. But 2) If for some reason we have to put our chips on someone, it's very reasonable to assume it's the new guy who's been toxic for years rather than the coach who was on the team already minding his own business. 3) I don't think it makes sense to use Lillard (or Doc, honestly) as a hill to die on when it comes to a discussion on racism. It's very possible that the way people phrase their criticism (like questioning Doc's coaching intellect or attributing all of his success to a white guy who in his own right has been a mediocre coach for more than a decade now). But it's just as okay to believe Doc sucks and not want him to coach your team as it is to think that about anyone else.

TD 21
10-19-2023, 06:04 PM
My thing is that 1) We don't have assume anyone is "at fault" in the sense that it's okay to withhold judgment. But 2) If for some reason we have to put our chips on someone, it's very reasonable to assume it's the new guy who's been toxic for years rather than the coach who was on the team already minding his own business. 3) I don't think it makes sense to use Lillard (or Doc, honestly) as a hill to die on when it comes to a discussion on racism. It's very possible that the way people phrase their criticism (like questioning Doc's coaching intellect or attributing all of his success to a white guy who in his own right has been a mediocre coach for more than a decade now). But it's just as okay to believe Doc sucks and not want him to coach your team as it is to think that about anyone else.

Charania is now reporting that Griffin and Stotts got into an argument at practice.

I fail to see how Lillard has been toxic, especially in this sense.

It's not just them, one is the just the topic du jour and the other a persistent punching bag because he's the most prominent black (actually mixed) coach and the results without context idiots love spouting 3-1 without actually telling you what he's done that's supposedly so stupid.

It's the same thing with most of the black/mixed executives/coaches.

Leetonidas
10-19-2023, 06:16 PM
Doc has blown more 3-1 leads than any coach in history. That isn't just bad luck/coincidence:lol dude makes zero adjustments

Don't see what the OP has to do with being racist. The NBA is made up of majority black players. Not everything is about race

JPB
10-19-2023, 06:24 PM

What kind of paranoid BS is that?

Leetonidas
10-19-2023, 06:47 PM
So rumors are that Griffin and Stotts had a spat during practice. Basically Griffin yelled at Stotts to join the coaches huddle and Stotts felt disrespected by a rookie coach and said fuck that and bailed. Seems more plausible than Dame forcing him out

Dex
10-19-2023, 06:55 PM
Doc has blown more 3-1 leads than any coach in history. That isn't just bad luck/coincidence:lol dude makes zero adjustments

Don't see what the OP has to do with being racist. The NBA is made up of majority black players. Not everything is about race

Doc has frankly built an entire career off of one championship where he was blessed with three Top-15 players at the time.

The Celtics sucked before KG and Allen came, and they sucked after it.

Since that time, he has coached players like Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Jamal Crawford, DeAndre Jordan (when he was good), Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Joel Embiid, James Harden....basically he has had a lot of talent and hasn't been able to coach them past the 2nd round.

Not to mention setting records for the most 3-1 series chokes.

There is nothing about Doc's skin tone that says that he is an overrated coach that is riding off one good championship run, and another one he busted because Ron Artest saved Kobe Bryant's legacy.

itzsoweezee
10-19-2023, 08:36 PM
Terry Stotts, who coached Lillard for 9 years in Portland, took an assistant gig in Milwaukee earlier this summer. He stepped down today.

Had nothing to do with Dame. Stop making shit up. Dame is one of the best people associated with the NBA

Mr. Body
10-19-2023, 08:39 PM

Another perfect example of lazy results without context analysis. Pretending as if everyone has virtually the same opportunity and it's just a matter of being "clutch" (another myth).

My analysis of context is that Anthony Davis did fucking nothing in New Orleans despite being the 'greatest PF of his generation' and a 'sure-fire top 75 player' when both were bullshit. How's that context?

itzsoweezee
10-19-2023, 08:41 PM
So rumors are that Griffin and Stotts had a spat during practice. Basically Griffin yelled at Stotts to join the coaches huddle and Stotts felt disrespected by a rookie coach and said fuck that and bailed. Seems more plausible than Dame forcing him out

Stotts wasn’t Griffin’s choice. Sounds like he was afraid of getting replaced by his assistant and was probably resentful and taking it out on Stotts. Not a smart move by the Bucks’ front office

Mr. Body
10-19-2023, 08:42 PM
Stotts wasn’t Griffin’s choice. Sounds like he was afraid of getting replaced by his assistant and was probably resentful and taking it out on Stotts. Not a smart move by the Bucks’ front office

This seems to be the scuttlebutt. Milwaukee brass wanted Stotts to support a rookie coach and with Lillard coming on board Griffin started feeling insecure and pushed him out.

Chinook
10-19-2023, 09:10 PM
Dame is one of the best people associated with the NBA

:rollin

TD 21
10-19-2023, 10:09 PM
Doc has blown more 3-1 leads than any coach in history. That isn't just bad luck/coincidence
:lol dude makes zero adjustments

Rivers hasn't played in 27 years and that's just a vague term thrown around with regards to black coaches (and Budenholzer), regurgitated by casuals who probably couldn't spot 90% of the vaunted "adjustments" even if they were actually watching.

Said by a true white or whitewashed person.

My analysis of context is that Anthony Davis did fucking nothing in New Orleans despite being the 'greatest PF of his generation' and a 'sure-fire top 75 player' when both were bullshit. How's that context?

Yeah, nothing but perform at an MVP caliber level for the majority of his time. I'm sure the poor fitting, mostly undertalented and decimated by injury rosters had nothing to do with the relative lack of team success.

This seems to be the scuttlebutt. Milwaukee brass wanted Stotts to support a rookie coach and with Lillard coming on board Griffin started feeling insecure and pushed him out.

:lmao Always the black man's fault. Maybe the white man, with extensive head coaching experience and no prior relationship with the head coach, overstepped his bounds and the latter drew a line in the sand.

itzsoweezee
10-20-2023, 12:38 AM
Yelling at an assistant coach, who’s been around the league a lot longer than you, for talking to the two star players, sure sounds like insecurity to me

John B
10-20-2023, 06:29 AM
B-but Dame is top 75 NBA All-Time

exstatic
10-20-2023, 06:40 AM
Had nothing to do with Dame. Stop making shit up. Dame is one of the best people associated with the NBA

1). I never said he did. In fact, the only thing I implied was that maybe Stotts might be tired of coaching him.
2). Don’t believe everything you read about who is a good or bad guy among entertainers or athletes. They pay good money to publicists to circulate positive vibes.

The Truth #6
10-20-2023, 07:45 AM

Don't forget the Toronto GM who is black. I've heard people on this site complain about him a lot for vague reasons.

Leetonidas
10-20-2023, 08:14 AM
Rivers hasn't played in 27 years and that's just a vague term thrown around with regards to black coaches (and Budenholzer), regurgitated by casuals who probably couldn't spot 90% of the vaunted "adjustments" even if they were actually watching.

Said by a true white or whitewashed person.

Yeah, nothing but perform at an MVP caliber level for the majority of his time. I'm sure the poor fitting, mostly undertalented and decimated by injury rosters had nothing to do with the relative lack of team success.

:lmao Always the black man's fault. Maybe the white man, with extensive head coaching experience and no prior relationship with the head coach, overstepped his bounds and the latter drew a line in the sand.

You're weird man. Like you made a silly comment and now you're vehemently trying to defend it by calling people casuals for thinking Doc sucks? Wtf does not playing for 27 years have to do with anything? Just take the L and move on. Stop being a race baiter. Systematic racism is a thing but silly arguments like yours just devalue the entire conversation. Black people don't need you to be offended for them on the internet

I'm also not white :lol you sound ridiculous

Leetonidas
10-20-2023, 08:19 AM
Aren't you also the guy who despises nephew? Bet if it was a white guy who did the same thing you wouldn't have cared. Because Kawhi is black so you must hate him because of his race!

See how fuckin stupid that sounds?

TD 21
10-20-2023, 03:09 PM
Yelling at an assistant coach, who’s been around the league a lot longer than you, for talking to the two star players, sure sounds like insecurity to me

Or a white man not used to working under a black man and being uncomfortable with that setup.

Don't forget the Toronto GM who is black. I've heard people on this site complain about him a lot for vague reasons.

Except I've been specific.

You're weird man. Like you made a silly comment and now you're vehemently trying to defend it by calling people casuals for thinking Doc sucks? Wtf does not playing for 27 years have to do with anything? Just take the L and move on. Stop being a race baiter. Systematic racism is a thing but silly arguments like yours just devalue the entire conversation. Black people don't need you to be offended for them on the internet

I'm also not white :lol you sound ridiculous

OP doesn't need you to be offended for him and he doesn't like black people from the inner city (his blaming Lillard with zero evidence is just the tip of the iceberg). Like many white and whitewashed people, he's fineish with the suburban types. You people seem to think not being MAGA or a caricature thereof automatically means you're in the clear with this stuff.

The rest is just poor reading comprehension. I never said you were white (I know what you are), that's not what I said with regards to Rivers (you made it sound as if he played in those 3-1 losses, which goes to the brainwashed notion of thinking coaches matter more than they do) and none of this is race baiting.

Aren't you also the guy who despises nephew? Bet if it was a white guy who did the same thing you wouldn't have cared. Because Kawhi is black so you must hate him because of his race!

See how fuckin stupid that sounds?

Again, poor reading comprehension by a whitewashed person who wants to put racist behavior in a neat little box and ignore everything outside of it.

Joseph Kony
10-20-2023, 03:40 PM
EVERYTHING IS RACIST REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

TD 21
10-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Never said that. That's just the spin you clowns spout every time it's brought up because deep down you know a lot of this stuff applies to yourself and it makes you uncomfortable.

I call it both ways. Take my longtime favorite player, Jokic. He's absolutely treated unfairly by the majority of inner city types.

Joseph Kony
10-20-2023, 04:12 PM
:lol literally the only person that is making this about race is you homie

TD 21
10-20-2023, 04:15 PM
So? Unlike many of you, I'm not here to be popular.

exstatic
10-20-2023, 04:22 PM

Mission Accomplished

mikec
10-20-2023, 04:32 PM

Delusional about race and delusional about the motives of random strangers on a message board. Real life must be a drag.

itzsoweezee
10-20-2023, 04:48 PM
Or a white man not used to working under a black man and being uncomfortable with that setup.

Maybe, but yelling at your subordinate in front of the rest of the team is just toxic behavior. I wouldn’t want to work in that type of environment either.

exstatic
10-20-2023, 04:49 PM
Maybe, but yelling at your subordinate in front of the rest of the team is just toxic behavior. I wouldn’t want to work in that type of environment either.

Yeah, I'm thinking someone is pretty insecure in his new HC job.

TD 21
10-20-2023, 05:05 PM
Delusional about race and delusional about the motives of random strangers on a message board. Real life must be a drag.

:lmao 15 years of countless comments from this person about people with the same background to back me up, but let's just ignore that because whitey and those who bow down to them are offended because someone brought up race.

He's probably not even aware and it's just subconscious stereotypes, but if no one brings it to his attention, he'll never know.

RC_Drunkford
10-20-2023, 05:07 PM
this thread is hilarious :lol

timtonymanu
10-20-2023, 05:26 PM
Wtf is this

TD 21
10-20-2023, 05:44 PM
I knew I shouldn't have bothered coming back to this cesspool.

I'll try this one last time for you clowns. Of course this ignorant thread (again, he was clueless as to why it happened and the prior relationship between Lillard and Stotts) in and of itself isn't evidence of racist behavior, it's the 15 years of countless comments from OP about people with the same background that is.

Whether you've noticed or agree or not, not sure why that's so difficult to comprehend or outlandish.

exstatic
10-20-2023, 05:54 PM
I knew I shouldn't have bothered coming back to this cesspool.

I'll try this one last time for you clowns. Of course this ignorant thread (again, he was clueless as to why it happened and the prior relationship between Lillard and Stotts) in and of itself isn't evidence of racist behavior, it's the 15 years of countless comments from OP about people with the same background that is.

Whether you've noticed or agree or not, not sure why that's so difficult to comprehend or outlandish.

You're such an idiot. Saying that a player and coach may not get along isn't racist, even if they are different races.

Here's the 411: If you are a coach, and your team constantly blows 3-1 playoff series leads, you're a mid coach. Anything else is excuse making. Here's some more 411: If you're a high draft pick, and your team makes the playoffs 2 times in 7 years, while you put up good counting stats, you're mid. Anything else is excuse making. Some players and coaches can't take the heat.

TD 21
10-20-2023, 06:03 PM
You're such an idiot. Saying that a player and coach may not get along isn't racist, even if they are different races.

Here's the 411: If you are a coach, and your team constantly blows 3-1 playoff series leads, you're a mid coach. Anything else is excuse making. Here's some more 411: If you're a high draft pick, and your team makes the playoffs 2 times in 7 years, while you put up good counting stats, you're mid. Anything else is excuse making. Some players and coaches can't take the heat.

:lmao At still not comprehending it. Re-read it.

The Rivers nonsense was before most of that and it pertains to most black executives/coaches. Results without context are meaningless.

Mugen
10-20-2023, 06:28 PM
https://media4.giphy.com/media/lTj9KCbmt4A3T6PACE/giphy.gif

RC_Drunkford
10-21-2023, 04:54 AM
the funny thing is he's a fan of a team that had a white coach for over 25 years :lmao The Spurs must be racist too :lmao