PDA

View Full Version : Via Burke according to Engelland: Spurs haven't encouraged DeRozan to shoot 3

TD 21
11-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Around the 34 minute mark . . . http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=28135727

While not exactly surprising, it's still disgusting to hear and tells you everything you need to know about the current state of this organization.

They're not going anywhere until these stale, senile idiots are out of the picture and if they're still controlling or even influencing in "retirement", then it's going to be a really long time before this organization even begins to get back on the right track.

slick'81
11-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Spurs obviously want to maximize derozans talents-midrange,passing,penetration and not expect anything else from 3 point range.Hes basically a bigger and more athletic tony parker

r0drig0lac
11-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Spurs obviously want to maximize derozans talents-midrange,passing,penetration and not expect anything else from 3 point range.Hes basically a bigger and more athletic tony parker

the only way for Demar to win is if he is surrounded by elite 3&D players
ex:
pg - Brogdon
sg - Demar
sf - Marcus Morris
pg - Covington
c - Drummond

he will never be a decent 3pts shooter and he will not be a good defensive player, it needs a very specific adjustment to make it positive, and that is a big problem.

koriwhat
11-22-2019, 05:46 PM

i liked when white was out last season in the beginning and ddr ran point guard duties. maybe we should have ddr and white as our main pg's and push murray to sg entirely.

cd021
11-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Parker was better to getting at the rim tbh and he at least shot corner 3's and hit a bunch of clutch 3's. DeRozan doesn't even pretend like he's going to shoot them, let alone actually attempt them.

playblair
11-22-2019, 05:50 PM
this franchise started going downhill when peter holt got cucked by the system & he had to give the team to his ex wife

Chomag
11-22-2019, 05:52 PM
What exactly is the coaching staff doing??

slick'81
11-22-2019, 05:53 PM
What exactly is the coaching staff doing??

You gotta think timmys getting in pops ear eventually

NASpurs
11-22-2019, 05:53 PM
Probably also told him not to play any defense.

EasyMoney
11-22-2019, 05:54 PM
It is still embarrassing how he won't even care to attempt them. It's one thing to simply pull up and attempt one, it's another to literally take a few steps in just to avoid doing so. I don't really care that they aren't encouraging him to take 3s. But he has got to man up and at least make the attempt to do so when the opportunity presents itself. He said so himself before the season started.

UZER
11-22-2019, 05:57 PM
It is still embarrassing how he won't even care to attempt them. It's one thing to simply pull up and attempt one, it's another to literally take a few steps in just to avoid doing so. I don't really care that they aren't encouraging him to take 3s. But he has got to man up and at least make the attempt to do so when the opportunity presents itself. He said so himself before the season started.

He doesn’t want to hurt his fg %

SpurSpike
11-22-2019, 05:57 PM
I feel Pop is one of the only coaches in the league that limits what his players are allowed to do instead of giving them a chance to grow their skill sets. Pop is looking at players like they are set in stone instead of guiding and molding them. Its part of the Spurs system but its just not working anymore.

slick'81
11-22-2019, 06:01 PM
this franchise started going downhill with peter holt got cucked by the system & he had to give the team to his ex wife

Ownership is obviously important.I dont know what role or impact holts kids have in the day to day with sa

timvp
11-22-2019, 06:08 PM
I feel Pop is one of the only coaches in the league that limits what his players are allowed to do instead of giving them a chance to grow their skill sets.

I think it's actually the opposite. In Toronto, the Raptors were on DeRozan 24/7 about shooting more threes. It was the main focus each summer and it's all the organization talked about in his final season there.

In San Antonio, Pop tells DeRozan to do whatever it is he's comfortable with doing. DeRozan is most comfortable not shooting threes.

DPG21920
11-22-2019, 06:24 PM
I think it's actually the opposite. In Toronto, the Raptors were on DeRozan 24/7 about shooting more threes. It was the main focus each summer and it's all the organization talked about in his final season there.

In San Antonio, Pop tells DeRozan to do whatever it is he's comfortable with doing. DeRozan is most comfortable not shooting threes.

Methinks after Pop learned about the real nba the hard way with LMA and trying to change him leading to a trade demand, he was very calm and flexible with DeRozan.

Russ
11-22-2019, 06:38 PM
This discussion is abstract and theoretical -- DeRozan can't shoot threes.

Floyd Pacquiao
11-22-2019, 06:49 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Spurstalk would've never traded for an extremely flawed player like derozan and gotten something far better for kawhi. Did pop and the front office not know what kind of player derozan was and that he has mental issues? Just another epic fail on their part.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-22-2019, 07:04 PM
this franchise started going downhill when peter holt got cucked by the system & he had to give the team to his ex wifeyep, everything begins and ends with the very top.

poopbox
11-22-2019, 07:21 PM

I agree completely. The problem with Derozan not shooting 3's is Pop, not Derozan. The problem with any nba player not expanding their game isn't the player, its the coaching staff that doesn't deman he do...

TBT...LMA probably broke Pop when Pop tried to change his game and LMA asked for a trade...He been gun shy about demanding anything new from veteran players ever since...

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-22-2019, 07:21 PM
DeRozan has never been a good three point shooter so why would you demand he shoot them if he sucks at it? He don't need to be able to shoot threes. What the teams needs is other three point shooters in the starting line up, one is not enough. DeRozan skill set is valuable. You need someone that can score attacking the basket and draw fouls. You just have to have the right players around that to get the max value out of his play.

TheChillFactor
11-22-2019, 07:33 PM
If he started shooting them, we would be begging him to stop.

tmtcsc
11-22-2019, 11:18 PM
If he started shooting them, we would be begging him to stop.

That's an excellent point. IF he had worked on the shot & had any sort of confidence in it, that would be a different story. He hasn't.

cjw
11-23-2019, 12:07 AM
Is it annoying that Demar has no range? Yes

Is he the problem on the offensive end? No

monty4329
11-23-2019, 06:15 AM
Is it annoying that Demar has no range? Yes

Is he the problem on the offensive end? No

DDR cannot be the closer, other than that he is having a very good start of the season, and against the Sixers he played well and fought hard.

He doesn't need to shoot 3s:
- Give him people in the corner or the elbow who can shoot threes and are more than 6 ft tall....
- (Trade for) Bertans.
- Have Belinelli catch and shoot instead of dribbling.
- Pick shooters (Huerter, Shamet were available after Lonnie)

The problem, this season, is not DDR not shooting 3s

tbdog
11-23-2019, 07:00 AM
DD not shooting 3s is on him. It will shorten his career. Currently though he is still at the tail end of his prime. He plays the best this way then so be it. But the Spurs have a decision to make. If DD stays on a town discount, then the Spurs will need to offload a few of their young core (Murray, White, Walker, Poeltl). Because they simply will never be good enough shooters to play along side him.

r0drig0lac
11-23-2019, 07:08 AM
DD not shooting 3s is on him. It will shorten his career. Currently though he is still at the tail end of his prime. He plays the best this way then so be it. But the Spurs have a decision to make. If DD stays on a town discount, then the Spurs will need to offload a few of their young core (Murray, White, Walker, Poeltl). Because they simply will never be good enough shooters to play along side him.

In this scenario they also need to offload Marco and Forbes, because they will never be good enough defenders to play along side him (and having good defenders by his side is as much a necessity as having good shooters)

duncan2k5
11-23-2019, 07:32 AM
I agree completely. The problem with Derozan not shooting 3's is Pop, not Derozan. The problem with any nba player not expanding their game isn't the player, its the coaching staff that doesn't deman he do...

TBT...LMA probably broke Pop when Pop tried to change his game and LMA asked for a trade...He been gun shy about demanding anything new from veteran players ever since...
THIS!

duncan2k5
11-23-2019, 07:36 AM
DDR cannot be the closer, other than that he is having a very good start of the season, and against the Sixers he played well and fought hard.

He doesn't need to shoot 3s:
- Give him people in the corner or the elbow who can shoot threes and are more than 6 ft tall....
- (Trade for) Bertans.
- Have Belinelli catch and shoot instead of dribbling.
- Pick shooters (Huerter, Shamet were available after Lonnie)

The problem, this season, is not DDR not shooting 3s

thats how Demar has been fooling toronto fans for years...he IS the problem...u sound like the ppl that say melo isnt the problem since he put up numbers...his brand of basketball requires him to always have the ball in his hand to be effective, and he isnt consistent enough not good enough for that role...when u add in his atrocious defense and his propensity to choke...he IS the problem...he NEEDS to be traded along with LMA...what are we gonna do? build around him like toronto did? he couldnt even win IN THE EAST!

duncan2k5
11-23-2019, 07:36 AM
i cant believe u guys are really talking about building around DDR...fuck me

monty4329
11-23-2019, 08:08 AM
thats how Demar has been fooling toronto fans for years...he IS the problem...u sound like the ppl that say melo isnt the problem since he put up numbers...his brand of basketball requires him to always have the ball in his hand to be effective, and he isnt consistent enough not good enough for that role...when u add in his atrocious defense and his propensity to choke...he IS the problem...he NEEDS to be traded along with LMA...what are we gonna do? build around him like toronto did? he couldnt even win IN THE EAST!

I wanted him gone last season. I am perfectly aware you win nothing with him. But him not shooting 3s (that was the topic) is not the problem.

He is doing -now- what the team is asking from him. I can't fault him for that. And he is showing energy, way more than last season.

It doesn't mean I want him around next year, or this season if he can be traded for some real NBA player that can shoot the ball (enough with young prospects who can't shoot).

But again, is he the problem this season?

acoelho1
11-23-2019, 08:23 AM
I can excuse not shooting 3’s but playing no defense goes against the Spurs way for 2 decades. We are not winning anything when your 2 best players are so disengaged on that end of the floor.

sananspursfan21
11-23-2019, 08:26 AM
LMA is unenthused. The rotations are weird. There’s no sign of defense anywhere. Poeltl forgot how to play basketball. White’s gone in and out of his shell despite taking huge leaps last year. Forbes has too many minutes considering his limited skills. Ditto for Belli. Our prize free agent this year isn’t getting many minutes if at all til last night. Any growth on Murray’s part is on hold during his minute restriction, not to mention he’s struggled some on defense this year, which is his calling card and validation for starting.

DDR doesn’t shoot threes. We knew this. We shouldn’t be shocked by this, even given the rumors and wishful thinking. He’s currently our leading scorer and competitor, if you can measure that. He and Rudy seem to be the only ones night in and night out coming to play. But we’re over here pissed at Derozan for not shooting threes. Come on now.

the golden era
11-23-2019, 12:27 PM
He doesn’t want to hurt his fg %
Bingo Bango Bongo! It’s a straight business decision on his part, since we won’t pay his price on an extension. Funny part is his lack of 3 ball has not impacted the offense this year. My complaint is he should be coming off bench and feasting and then closing games as primary ball handler. If we had reached extension I suspect he would have been open to it. But he is only concerned with his contract at this point. As I have been saying, he will be moved.

tholdren
11-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Why would you want the only spur that attacks the rim to start shooting 3s?

Truth4sale$
11-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Then what exactly did he work on in the off season, it wasn't defense? So why is a partial player worth the max. Should sign Jonathan Simmons again instead.

tbdog
11-23-2019, 05:02 PM
In this scenario they also need to offload Marco and Forbes, because they will never be good enough defenders to play along side him (and having good defenders by his side is as much a necessity as having good shooters)

They are/should be 15min players and can easily be staggered.