PDA

View Full Version : Favorite year of your life?

UNT Eagles 2016
01-28-2016, 01:35 AM
Mine was 2005, easily... solid 9.5/10... still innocent, barely, but enough... everything that happened that year was so amazing, so fun, so enjoyable, so surreal... from my special 11th birthday to the game 7 title to Katrina to my best friend staying over for a week in a row in July to all the Laser Quest nights to NBA Live 2005 to that being the last year of my decent eyesight until the end of 2013/beginning of 2014 to everything else... being 11 was so amazing.

I'll also go down the list and rate my years.

2016: not starting off too well, hopefully graduating this year... kinda narcoleptic and in pain right now... hopefully will get better, giving it a chance...
2015: SUCKED! So much pain, so much boredom. 3/10
2014: not bad... easily the best one of this decade...got my lasik 2 days before xmas 2013 and took off the goggles on New Year's 2014... solid 7/10
2013: :cuss Definitely the worst year of my life. Could list about 100 reasons why... respond for details. -1/10
2012: A shitty year. Just shit. A little fun, a lot of boredom and a lot of shit and disappointment. 4/10
2011: Meh. Nothing special, nothing horrible. A lot of nothing. 4.5/10
2010: HORRIBLE! Easily the second-worst year of my life... closely rivaling 2013. When it wasn't miserable it was boring. 0/10
2009: A bit up and down, but overall not too much to complain about... definitely some happiness there. 6/10
2008: Not too much to complain about. Pretty happy and lost my innocence and carefreedom that year, but wasn't too bad... 6.5/10
2007: Not bad at all... a few oddities, but definitely a good amount to enjoy and last full year of carefreedom. 7/10
2006: kinda and down... miserable and worrisome at times, had a few relief moments... letdown year overall. Lost my good eyesight in February. 5.5/10
2005: BEST year of my life! 9.5/10, as aforementioned
2004: another kind of up and down year, some family fighting, but all turned out very well in the end both in my life and the world... 6.5/10
2003: An excellent, fun-filled, carefree year. A few quirks, but overall happiness. Being nine years old was amazing! 8.5/10
2002: My doggie died in March at age 1. I found him strangled, traumatic experience. Otherwise, not horrible though? Good ending to the year... 6.5/10

Don't remember too much in detail before that, honestly

lil'mo
01-28-2016, 02:29 AM
:lmao

benefactor
01-28-2016, 07:48 AM
This thread has potential

Thread
01-28-2016, 07:50 AM
Any recognized year(s) before puberty. It all changes after that. Never the same.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Any recognized year(s) before puberty. It all changes after that. Never the same.
right... I didn't start sprouting out of my crotch until near the end of 2005, lost my eyesight in february 2006 and it wasn't the same... though I didn't have my semenarche (first masturbation) until August 10, 2008.

Though I did have hairy legs by the age of 9.

DisAsTerBot
01-28-2016, 10:47 AM
lol guitardude

Rain Man
01-28-2016, 12:37 PM
2015 The year the dynasty was started.

Buddy Mignon
01-28-2016, 02:42 PM
I've been in the zone since 6 years old.

Mitch
01-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Every year is better than the last for me. Keeps you hungry to know that you can make the next day better.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Every year is better than the last for me. Keeps you hungry to know that you can make the next day better.
It's kind of gone in the opposite direction for me, tbh.

Mitch
01-28-2016, 05:16 PM
It's kind of gone in the opposite direction for me, tbh.

Most of your good-decent years seem to coincide with Spur titles. You should try to get a better attitude this year :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
01-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Most of your good-decent years seem to coincide with Spur titles. You should try to get a better attitude this year :lol
Now I've gotta find someone to marry to make me happy tbh. When you're a kid and out of school until 8th grade then the Spurs and video games are all you have until summertime when your best friend visits from New York.

2008-2009 was a different thing altogether. Knew the Spurs weren't going anywhere that year with the age and injuries. But it was 8th grade, my favorite year in school by far. At a South San middle school, no less. Was a star on the basketball and track teams, got laid, had a lot of fun, was the top student in the class, was the principal and vice principal's favorite so I could do whatever the fuck I wanted, was the it guy in the school literally the only time ever... was an awesome year.

Thread
01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
2008-2009 was a different thing altogether. Knew the Spurs weren't going anywhere that year with the age and injuries. But it was 8th grade, my favorite year in school by far. At a South San middle school, no less. Was a star on the basketball and track teams, got laid, had a lot of fun, was the top student in the class, was the principal and vice principal's favorite so I could do whatever the fuck I wanted, was the it guy in the school literally the only time ever... was an awesome year.

Good stuff, UNT. I can visualize it all quite easily & enjoyably.

Xevious
01-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Now I've gotta find someone to marry to make me happy tbh.
That's your problem right the fuck there. I see a lot of "boredom" in your OP. Figure your own shit out. Get a hobby already. If you need somebody else to make you happy, you'll just make them miserable.

Thread
01-28-2016, 06:49 PM
That's your problem right the fuck there. I see a lot of "boredom" in your OP. Figure your own shit out. Get a hobby already. If you need somebody else to make you happy, you'll just make them miserable.

Yes. X catches it there...

"My Life" a film with Michael Keaton as a cancer stricken man whose life is coming to an end. He goes to a healer type fellow (the late Haing Ngor) you might remember him from "The Killing Fields." Keaton's wife is played by Nicole Kidman. Ngor forewarns Keaton:::"It's not enough to marry goodness, you have to find it in yourself."

The next time he visits Ngor will be the last time,,,the warning much simpler..."The light is moving too fast, put your life in order."

UNT Eagles 2016
01-28-2016, 07:05 PM

"My Life" a film with Michael Keaton as a cancer stricken man whose life is coming to an end. He goes to a healer type fellow (the late Haing Ngor) you might remember him from "The Killing Fields." Keaton's wife is played by Nicole Kidman. Ngor forewarns Keaton:::"It's not enough to marry goodness, you have to find it in yourself."

The next time he visits Ngor will be the last time,,,the warning much simpler..."The light is moving too fast, put your life in order."
Well i'm not dying of kidney cancer at 45 if that helps

Good stuff, UNT. I can visualize it all quite easily & enjoyably.

:toast

UNT Eagles 2016
01-28-2016, 07:07 PM
Disagree

Only things that allows me to escape for awhile as-is are:::::: NBA basketball, NFL football, going to parties, playing basketball, playing football, playing other sports, playing games, playing computer games, posting on forums... etc. I just need to get out of school, my life has been shit since I started HS back in August 2009. High school and college have been the worst and most boring years of my life. Oh well.

Thread
01-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Disagree

Only things that allows me to escape for awhile as-is are:::::: NBA basketball, NFL football, going to parties, playing basketball, playing football, playing other sports, playing games, playing computer games, posting on forums... etc. I just need to get out of school, my life has been shit since I started HS back in August 2009. High school and college have been the worst and most boring years of my life. Oh well.

Listen to what X said there, UNT. Read it until you understand it. If you don't you'll struggle to remember it when it's much too late.

Mitch
01-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Now I've gotta find someone to marry to make me happy tbh. When you're a kid and out of school until 8th grade then the Spurs and video games are all you have until summertime when your best friend visits from New York.

What are you, 20? Establish a career or business or something to set you for the rest of your life before putting a ring on a woman's finger. You want to be a renaissance man before you agree to support a wife + however many kids you end up having.

Thread
01-28-2016, 09:38 PM
What are you, 20? Establish a career or business or something to set you for the rest of your life before putting a ring on a woman's finger. You want to be a renaissance man before you agree to support a wife + however many kids you end up having.

Mitch with some more sound advice for UNT.

UNT? Do not walk away from it whistlin'.

BD24
01-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Disagree

If college was the most boring years of your life you must not being doing it right. Jesus christ you are a pathetic motherfucker :lol

SpursforSix
01-28-2016, 10:15 PM

I forgot about that show. Saw it 20 years ago and I remember being impacted by it. I need to watch it again now that I have a kid. Wonder if it still holds up. Keaton is so 80's/early 90's.

SpursforSix
01-28-2016, 10:20 PM

Mitch with some more sound advice for UNT.

UNT? Do not walk away from it whistlin'.

Disagree. You want someone to go through those early years with you. Makes that part of life something to look back on together. Nothing wrong with having a kid either as long as you can provide for it. It doesn't know the difference between a mansion and a duplex and doesn't care either.

Mitch
01-28-2016, 10:36 PM
Disagree. You want someone to go through those early years with you. Makes that part of life something to look back on together. Nothing wrong with having a kid either as long as you can provide for it. It doesn't know the difference between a mansion and a duplex and doesn't care either.

Your own choice, good luck.

I focused on my career and business before graduating. My drive and focus was immediately put in there and life is much more comfortable now before I even hit 30.

SpursforSix
01-28-2016, 11:23 PM

I focused on my career and business before graduating. My drive and focus was immediately put in there and life is much more comfortable now before I even hit 30.

To each his own.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-29-2016, 02:08 AM
AGREE 120 PERCENT! :toast

I don't want to be fuckin' established and shit before I find my eternal soulmate. It's just not special that way. It's like being a Spur fan since '99 instead of a Spur fan since '73. Haven't been through the thicks and thins, the ebbs and flows of youth and life without uncertainty TOGETHER. It's more of a sex, financial and friendship combo agreement if a couple gets married after they've already been through the hardest shit alone or with other people.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-29-2016, 02:11 AM

I crofl at anyone who's 30 and still single, it's fucking pathetic and too new age sheep-ism imo... the American way is to build and grow together and stick together through the highs and lows of early-mid life instead of taking the easy way out like so many gutless morons do today (i.e. through divorce). I understand divorcing over fucking cheating or objectively heinous abuse but other than that, it's unacceptable to me.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-29-2016, 02:19 AM
If college was the most boring years of your life you must not being doing it right. Jesus christ you are a pathetic motherfucker :lol
The problem is the university I go to. The culture and people are, for the most part, an enormous perceptual misfit for my views on friendship, life values, morals, politics, and overall the way things should be at this age. And there's literally no parties and fun things on or near campus here because all most of the university cares about is dumb jazz music, art, tattoos and Bernie Sanders and every semester there's another fraternity or two getting kicked off campus for getting caught providing alcohol to a minor. Except for a few parties I've been to, the other 90% are at some student living place and all racist black kids that do nothing but want to twerk and fuck and play obnoxious rap music at 9,031 decibels. The vast majority of whites and civilized minorities here are too laid-back to party and too absorbed with making all A's and B's in their stupid fine arts/interdisciplinary studies classes in their pursuit of a degree that will net them exactly zero decent jobs.

UNT will never have good things with its elitist neo-liberal culture.

therefore, I #ShouldHaveGoneToA&M and roomed with my 2 best friends from HS. Big bad social decision I'll regret for a long time. I chose UNT over A&M because UNT offered me a full ride and A&M offered me about a 72% ride. Would have rather ate the dough and had a better college experience. But hey, it's almost over.

Mitch
01-29-2016, 02:50 AM
I crofl at anyone who's 30 and still single, it's fucking pathetic and too new age sheep-ism imo... the American way is to build and grow together and stick together through the highs and lows of early-mid life instead of taking the easy way out like so many gutless morons do today (i.e. through divorce). I understand divorcing over fucking cheating or objectively heinous abuse but other than that, it's unacceptable to me.

:lol Still got a few years to go before I hit the big three oh, but I digress - you have the choice to live the life you want and that is the real "american way" since this country was founded to live with a greater degree of freedom. You give up that freedom when you try to live the life you hear about on the misc or those stupid reddit communities, if you didn't design your own life then you can't call anybody but yourself a sheep.

So, yeah, you're like what 20? You got time to figure out how to make each year better than the last, you only begin life when you start living it.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you end up doing for yourself :tu

Xevious
01-29-2016, 05:37 AM

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go about it. But it's the people who can't live their life because "I'm lonely :cry" or "I'm bored :cry" that are doing themselves a disservice. You can't plan on when you'll meet your future spouse, it just happens when it happens. You need to be comfortable in your own skin before that happens anyway. Don't rely on somebody else to make you happy.

BD24
01-29-2016, 08:24 AM
I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go about it. But it's the people who can't live their life because "I'm lonely :cry" or "I'm bored :cry" that are doing themselves a disservice. You can't plan on when you'll meet your future spouse, it just happens when it happens. You need to be comfortable in your own skin before that happens anyway. Don't rely on somebody else to make you happy.
This 100%. I didn't really plan on getting married until I was close to 30. I was single all throughout college and just happened to meet my soon to be wife my last semester of college and it just kind of fell into place. You don't need to look for the right person, if they are out there it will eventually just happen. For pathetic ass holes like UNT though I have my doubts.

SpursforSix
01-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Good summary. Exactly right.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-29-2016, 02:15 PM
:lol Still got a few years to go before I hit the big three oh, but I digress - you have the choice to live the life you want and that is the real "american way" since this country was founded to live with a greater degree of freedom. You give up that freedom when you try to live the life you hear about on the misc or those stupid reddit communities, if you didn't design your own life then you can't call anybody but yourself a sheep.

So, yeah, you're like what 20? You got time to figure out how to make each year better than the last, you only begin life when you start living it.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you end up doing for yourself :tu
21, will be 22 in a couple months here.

Avante
01-29-2016, 06:11 PM
That would be 1986.

I'd lost a backgammon game to a buddy, so it was off to the bar of his choice. He wanted to go to Porterville.

Avante....dude, that's a shit kicker town, ain't no black chicks over there.
Stan....I won right?

So we get to the Paul Bunyan Lounge around 10pm. Grabbed a table and what do ya know here comes this incredible black chick she must have been 6-4. Stan knew it all along (she went to Porterville JC a volleyball player).

So there the three of us sit when the bouncer walks by, he opens up the back door and in walk three amazons. But the last one was ...yum-meeeee. I looked at Stan and he looked at me.

Stan....dude, she is on a whole other level forget it. You can't afford her.

What a year that was, it was work, eat, fuck, sleep, works, eat, fuck, sleep, work, eat..................

Never forget 1986.

I've told my son Mason.

Avante....would you believe if not for the roll of the dice you ain't here?

JMarkJohns
01-29-2016, 06:45 PM
That would be age 30.

My University had renewed my contract and I was finally fully teaching in all my degree areas. I was teaching Communication Photography, Digital Workflow, Media Theory, and Electronic Media & Film.

I worked to get two of my Photography students as staff photogs at Coachella, worked with my media students on some incredible stories, including multiple that won student Emmy's, worked my media contacts and got one photography student who was former military the chance to be embedded with the Huffington Post as he tripped to Ukraine dying the Crimean conflict. I earned a raise for the first time. I had two of my own media projects picked up, and I was one of the last few media members to interview Leonard Knoght of Salvation Mountain fame before he passed away. My Thesis was published. I worked on a story where I was surrounded by bears in a TV studio, getting to hold a cub, and getting to fake wrestle an adult. Lastly, I found a girl who loves sports as much as I did, both the Suns, Diamondbacks, and Arizona Wildcats, as we started what was a short-lived, but pretty damn awesome 4 month, no-strings relationship as we both new she was leaving in May for school in Philadelphia.

But best part was all this occurred, then in June my doctor dropped "Lymphoma" on me. After a series of tests, scans, and pokes/prods, I was told it was simply a precaution, and nothing of note showed up concerning Lymphoma.

That summer I treated the family to Disneyland and Sea World, went to more baseball games than I remember, got paid a ton of money by a Law LLC to do some promotional video/photography, had my contract renewed to teach again, and followed my favorite band for six road stops from Albuquerque through San Diego.

I spent the last days of my 30s at the Telluride Film Festival with a colleague and son of a Hollywood legend, so I got some VIP access.

It was a year that'll be tough to live up to.

DMC
01-29-2016, 08:21 PM
I've been in the zone since 6 years old.
Is "the zone" your code word for dad's crotch?

SpursforSix
01-29-2016, 09:10 PM

:lol

Xevious
01-31-2016, 01:00 AM
Age 6 is when he discovered anime tbh.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-31-2016, 01:23 AM
That would be age 30.

My University had renewed my contract and I was finally fully teaching in all my degree areas. I was teaching Communication Photography, Digital Workflow, Media Theory, and Electronic Media & Film.

I worked to get two of my Photography students as staff photogs at Coachella, worked with my media students on some incredible stories, including multiple that won student Emmy's, worked my media contacts and got one photography student who was former military the chance to be embedded with the Huffington Post as he tripped to Ukraine dying the Crimean conflict. I earned a raise for the first time. I had two of my own media projects picked up, and I was one of the last few media members to interview Leonard Knoght of Salvation Mountain fame before he passed away. My Thesis was published. I worked on a story where I was surrounded by bears in a TV studio, getting to hold a cub, and getting to fake wrestle an adult. Lastly, I found a girl who loves sports as much as I did, both the Suns, Diamondbacks, and Arizona Wildcats, as we started what was a short-lived, but pretty damn awesome 4 month, no-strings relationship as we both new she was leaving in May for school in Philadelphia.

But best part was all this occurred, then in June my doctor dropped "Lymphoma" on me. After a series of tests, scans, and pokes/prods, I was told it was simply a precaution, and nothing of note showed up concerning Lymphoma.

That summer I treated the family to Disneyland and Sea World, went to more baseball games than I remember, got paid a ton of money by a Law LLC to do some promotional video/photography, had my contract renewed to teach again, and followed my favorite band for six road stops from Albuquerque through San Diego.

I spent the last days of my 30s at the Telluride Film Festival with a colleague and son of a Hollywood legend, so I got some VIP access.

It was a year that'll be tough to live up to.
Bet that was a shitty week or so in June when you were afraid you had hodgkins at age 30?

phyzik
01-31-2016, 05:17 AM
1997 - Junior year, High school

Was in ROTC Rifle Team.

me and my buddy Zeke won the state rifle shooting championship for our team by a LARGE margin..... I shot almost a perfect set... 298 out of a possible 300. All bulls eyes except for 1 ring out on 2 shots... (one ring out on standing shot, and one ring out on kneeling shot, was perfect in prone). Not only that, I finished like 5 minutes before anyone else in the competition. I was a shooting god that day.

Don't exactly remember what Zeke shot but he was up there around 290 or so.

Fucking school couldn't afford to send us to nationals though.

I feel like Al Bundy from married with Children when he talks about football :(

Anyone who actually shoots should know how great a set that was... 10 shots each for standing, kneeling and prone.... and I hit 1 ring out of bulls eye on 2 shots out of 30.

I've done better since then (multiple perfect sets), but not in competition like that and not nearly as dominate.

not my greatest achievement in life (not by a long shot) but it's one that I will NEVER forget, so I guess it counts in the context of this thread.

JMarkJohns
01-31-2016, 06:17 AM
Bet that was a shitty week or so in June when you were afraid you had hodgkins at age 30?

Very shitty. It was about 10 days. But the year was all the better upon news of not being sick with it. I contacted one person, a friend who's A doctor of internal medicine but who specializes in cancer well being at Duke University Hospital.

He gave me a list of things to do, things to eat, things not to eat, etc.

I've maintained a lot of the list, even though tests results showed a lymph nodes infection and not lymphoma. Haven't had a reoccurrence since.

UNT Eagles 2016
01-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Very shitty. It was about 10 days. But the year was all the better upon news of not being sick with it. I contacted one person, a friend who's A doctor of internal medicine but who specializes in cancer well being at Duke University Hospital.

He gave me a list of things to do, things to eat, things not to eat, etc.

I've maintained a lot of the list, even though tests results showed a lymph nodes infection and not lymphoma. Haven't had a reoccurrence since.
Lymph node infection means your immune system is acting abnormally.

JMarkJohns
01-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Lymph node infection means your immune system is acting abnormally.

They gave me antibiotics and nothing has occurred since. I've had a CT scan every year against that infected baseline. New diet, etc.

Can't explain it. I'm fortunate.

Like I said, after the fact he said the tests were precautionary, but initial visit he dropped "running tests for Lymphoma" on me and that's all I could deal with. Put me on the antibiotic in case. Symptoms left after the meds kicked in, and have never returned.

baseline bum
01-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Probably 1968. I was at this gook bar with a couple of buddies on leave, and they had this thing called the smile game. When the girl came out from under the table with her braces looking like Chewbacca, I couldn't resist and offered her $10 and paid the bar fine for her to come back to my motel room. She was a cherry girl, and shaved smooth way before that became a big thing. Why was that called the Brazilian when the gooks I barfined years before were all like that? Anyways, good times.

DMC
01-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Probably 1968. I was at this gook bar with a couple of buddies on leave, and they had this thing called the smile game. When the girl came out from under the table with her braces looking like Chewbacca, I couldn't resist and offered her $10 and paid the bar fine for her to come back to my motel room. She was a cherry girl, and shaved smooth way before that became a big thing. Why was that called the Brazilian when the gooks I barfined years before were all like that? Anyways, good times.
I'm guessing she smelled like piss, not vaginal secretions and didn't have natural lubrication. Those "shaven" women seemed to have that issue.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-01-2016, 01:26 PM
They gave me antibiotics and nothing has occurred since. I've had a CT scan every year against that infected baseline. New diet, etc.

Like I said, after the fact he said the tests were precautionary, but initial visit he dropped "running tests for Lymphoma" on me and that's all I could deal with. Put me on the antibiotic in case. Symptoms left after the meds kicked in, and have never returned.
That'll be sure to give you lymphoma, right there.

bigzak25
02-01-2016, 02:54 PM
2016 so far, so good!

SnakeBoy
02-01-2016, 03:48 PM

That's fucked up that your Doc put a scare into you like that. I had the same thing happen last fall, got a calcium score CT and it picked up an enlarged lymph node in my chest. Doc called and said it's pretty common, probably nothing just allergies (mold count was thru the roof at that time), get a chest CT in 6 weeks to rule out lymphoma. I did and it was back to normal, I was never worried about it. No need to get a CT every year just because you had an inflamed lymph node once.

RsxPiimp
02-01-2016, 06:05 PM
200-2003 tbh, Grade A pussy left and right. Don't even know why i'm getting so much at that time. it's not like I'm a stud or have money etc. Met the hotties in heat at the right time, I guess.