PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bill Walton Spurs Quotes...

SASdynasty!
03-10-2015, 12:09 PM
This was one of my favorite sequences..."as Tim Duncan continues to amaze. Gets hammered, gets grabbed, gets held, gets pushed, gets shoved, and still scores on Shaq, Slava Medvedenko, and everyone in the Laker organization." (starts at 8:42) http://youtu.be/rR6AgYWdoBQ?t=8m42s

http://youtu.be/rR6AgYWdoBQ?t=8m42s

baseline bum
03-10-2015, 12:16 PM
I love when Tolbert said Tim was playing "around the world" in that game. :lol

baseline bum
03-10-2015, 12:25 PM
A little remembered stat from that game was that Tony Parker had 27 in what was essentially the title clinching game on the road vs the three time defending champs who would have easily won #4 had they squeaked out of that series. Parker murdered them in the third and hit a soul crushing shot at the end of the quarter that deflated the Lakers.

MateoNeygro
03-10-2015, 12:28 PM
I miss our Big 3 being young. I feel like i took it for granted. Enjoy them as long as we can. We've been incredibly lucky.

On topic, I fucking hated Bill Walton.

BillMc
03-10-2015, 01:05 PM
"Tim Duncan just continues to go wild!"

And he would for another 12+ years....:hat

Good post OP!

SASdynasty!
03-10-2015, 01:08 PM
A little remembered stat from that game was that Tony Parker had 27 in what was essentially the title clinching game on the road vs the three time defending champs who would have easily won #4 had they squeaked out of that series. Parker murdered them in the third and hit a soul crushing shot at the end of the quarter that deflated the Lakers.
:toast I forgot that he had such a big game. Although he had a mediocre playoff run that year, he had at least one big scoring game each series:
G3 vs PHX - 12/21 for 29 pts
G6 vs LAL - 9/19 for 27 pts
G3 vs DAL - 13/23 for 29 pts
G3 vs NJN - 9/21 for 26 pts

He actually outscored Duncan in 5 games that postseason, which doesn't seem like much, but considering Tony's age and how incredible Tim's 2003 playoff run was, that's not bad. But Tony had some really really awful games that postseason as well, so overall it wasn't one of his better ones. What Tim did that year in carrying that team to a title was amazing. I remember being at G6 of the Finals when Tim almost had is quad-double. Unbelievable.

Sean Cagney
03-10-2015, 01:22 PM
The OP hit it on the head. I remember that one the best.

I also remember a game in 03 when Tim was going off against LA on a late Sunday afternoon in game 4 of that series and he said we have not begun to scratch the surface on Tim Duncan yet, that stood out to me for some reason.

I also remember his old buddy next to him Tom Tolbert saying after game 6 of the finals that year "That is the stat stuffer supreme I believe it's called", Walton then says that is what I call the "MVP". Those stood out for some reason. I miss Walton at times.

Mr. Body
03-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Fucking Tom Tolbert. Whatever happened to that fraud?

DesignatedT
03-10-2015, 01:30 PM
"Robert Horry is the best in-bounder of all time"

Mr. Body
03-10-2015, 01:32 PM

Good call. One of the reasons we got so badly hosed by the Lakers from '00-'02 was our point guards were terrible. I loved, loved Terry Porter, but the guy was pretty much done.

Once we got Parker, they could no longer jam our offense like they could before. He was far too fast and had too good of handles. TP is super underrated in terms of his ball handling.

cantthinkofanything
03-10-2015, 01:37 PM
In general I like Walton.

But a couple of weeks ago, he was calling an Oregon game and they were talking about one of the players being suspended. Bill goes on a 2 minute rant about penalties for drugs being too harsh and the problems with jails, etc. This is while the teams have moved up and down the court several times. At some point the other announcer reminds Bill that it was never disclosed why the kid was suspended in the first place.

Mr. Body
03-10-2015, 01:43 PM
This was one of my favorite sequences..."as Tim Duncan continues to amaze. Gets hammered, gets grabbed, gets held, gets pushed, gets shoved, and still scores on Shaq, Slava Medvedenko, and everyone in the Laker organization." (starts at 8:42) http://youtu.be/rR6AgYWdoBQ?t=8m42s

9:50 has probably the most famous Eurostep of all time. I credit that one move for fully bringing it into the United States.

Arcadian
03-10-2015, 01:56 PM
:lol Medvedenko

tmtcsc
03-10-2015, 02:12 PM
I remember Bill Walton saying at one point (paraphrasing) "This will go down as the greatest win in Spurs franchise history." Tolbert replied - "Even bigger than their Championship clinching win over the Knicks?" Walton answered with a resounding: "Absolutely". He had nowhere to go with that nonsense. :lol

Sean Cagney
03-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Good call. One of the reasons we got so badly hosed by the Lakers from '00-'02 was our point guards were terrible. I loved, loved Terry Porter, but the guy was pretty much done.

Once we got Parker, they could no longer jam our offense like they could before. He was far too fast and had too good of handles. TP is super underrated in terms of his ball handling.
Porter running the O against LA, UGHHHHHH I remember that well. Daniels was there as well but he was more of a SG IMO, could not run the point well. I remember Danny Ferry starting in 01 as well against LA, those were the days :(

Parker as you said changed things against LA, bigtime. LA used to just let Tim score and the Spurs would have a lead, then the 2nd half they would focus on Tim and nobody else really could do much, those were very sad days to say the least playing LA in those playoffs.
9:50 has probably the most famous Eurostep of all time. I credit that one move for fully bringing it into the United States.

Ginobili was so clutch as a rookie in those playoffs! He really brought a new spectrum to the team they did not have the years before against LA in 01-02. Parker and Ginobili both on the team was huge.

baseline bum
03-10-2015, 02:17 PM
I remember Bill Walton saying at one point (paraphrasing) "This will go down as the greatest win in Spurs franchise history." Tolbert replied - "Even bigger than their Championship clinching win over the Knicks?" Walton answered with a resounding: "Absolutely". He had nowhere to go with that nonsense. :lol

I think Walton was right. That win basically clinched the title.

Sean Cagney
03-10-2015, 02:20 PM
I think Walton was right. That win basically clinched the title.

After that win I knew nobody was going to stop the Spurs. Dallas fans can say Dirk this or that all they want getting hurt but lets be honest that soft ass team was not going to deny the Spurs a title after they won that series.

Spurs blew game one against Dallas in fashion after a big 4Q lead (They would do that every series it seemed back then, atleast one game or so) and honestly that should have ended in 5 if not for another monumental CHOKE on their own floor in game 5 when Dirk was out! Spurs were basically up 2-1 when Dirk went down and should have been 3-0 if not for the game one blow at home. Dallas was never in control of that series, looking back.

tmtcsc
03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
That year was the most uncomfortable Championship of them all. The Spurs had tons of talent, a good mix of veterans and young guys, but they were maddening to watch. Blowing their hard earned HCA in every round including the Finals was crazy. Blowing huge leads against the Lakers, falling apart offensively at the worst times, playing down to their competition. It was a pain in the ass to watch but exhilarating in the end. It was especially great to see DRob go out on top with his crippled-ass self. He played big in his final game.

tmtcsc
03-10-2015, 03:18 PM
After that win I knew nobody was going to stop the Spurs. Dallas fans can say Dirk this or that all they want getting hurt but lets be honest that soft ass team was not going to deny the Spurs a title after they won that series.

Spurs blew game one against Dallas in fashion after a big 4Q lead (They would do that every series it seemed back then, atleast one game or so) and honestly that should have ended in 5 if not for another monumental CHOKE on their own floor in game 5 when Dirk was out! Spurs were basically up 2-1 when Dirk went down and should have been 3-0 if not for the game one blow at home. Dallas was never in control of that series, looking back.

LA was definitely their biggest hurdle but their lack of mental focus made me nauseous. Dallas had no business pushing the Spurs to 6 without Dirk. NJ shouldn't have won 1 game, much less 2 or a possible 3rd. Ughhh. The win over the Pistons was the most hard-fought and most appreciated Championship they won IMO. I knew they were going to demolish the Heat last year and the sweep over the Cavs was boring as hell. If they play the beautiful game now, the series over the Cavs could have been called the "Ugly Championship".

Johnsyounger
03-10-2015, 03:34 PM
"If the Spurs are going to win, there gonna need to score more points."
That when I was sure I hated him.
Cant believe all the love for Walton on here. Top 5 worst announcer of all time...Meanwhile everyone wants to bag on Hubie. Guy is 608 years old and senile and knows more about the game than this board collectively.

Sean Cagney
03-10-2015, 04:22 PM
LA was definitely their biggest hurdle but their lack of mental focus made me nauseous. Dallas had no business pushing the Spurs to 6 without Dirk. NJ shouldn't have won 1 game, much less 2 or a possible 3rd. Ughhh. The win over the Pistons was the most hard-fought and most appreciated Championship they won IMO. I knew they were going to demolish the Heat last year and the sweep over the Cavs was boring as hell. If they play the beautiful game now, the series over the Cavs could have been called the "Ugly Championship".
Agreed, they did toy around with Dallas way too much and it almost went 7 because of those lapses! Game 5 at home up 17 without Dirk is inexcusable in a closeout game! I felt sick all night after that loss to be honest with you. Game one okay they blew a 14 pt lead in the 4th at home and I was pissed off but still thought they would win the series, but game 5 at home in a closeout game without Dirk was pathetic. That team did lack focus, they would blow some stupid games. I agree on NJ as well, Spurs in 03 were a young team without that killer closeout instinct yet and they blew some games because of that IMO. LA game 4 comes to mind as well, up 10 or so in LA and they blew that one. They nearly blew game 5 AT HOME 03 against LA when up 20 plus (Horry's miss), if they lost that game the series is over in LA in 6 IMO and the Spurs choke up a 2-0 lead and get back door swept. They were on the edge that year, living dangerous.

I agree on Detroit as well, my fave 7 game series I ever watched and the last 3 games were for the ages! CLASSIC after 4 straight blowouts. That was the best title and series IMO.
"If the Spurs are going to win, there gonna need to score more points."
That when I was sure I hated him.
Cant believe all the love for Walton on here. Top 5 worst announcer of all time...Meanwhile everyone wants to bag on Hubie. Guy is 608 years old and senile and knows more about the game than this board collectively.

Walton was just funny, not great but funny at times. Hubie is great, don't get any hate for him as I am a fan of his.

EVAY
03-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Most consistent memory of Walton announcing for me is that he was often wrong but NEVER in doubt!!!

taps
03-10-2015, 06:45 PM
"Meanwhile everyone wants to bag on Hubie.

He still calls him MANO.

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 01:59 AM
Alonzo Mourning points to the sky after a made freethrow

Walton "what is there a leak in the ceiling"

Doctor J
03-11-2015, 02:29 AM
“Manu Ginobili is more than capable of being the best player in any game. In any game he can be the best guy. What he has been able to do coming from Argentina, I mean truly, he is the epitome of true greatness in the globalized, changing world that we all live in today,” said Walton to Project Spurs.*

“To come from Argentina, to have Argentina win the World Championship, to have*him win a gold medal in the Olympics, to*have him be the winner of the NBA championship, I mean come on! But that’s what makes him so special and he’s such a class act. He’s so creative, he’s so dynamic, he’s so vibrant, he’s so explosive and he does things that you can’t even dream of.”

“He comes up with this stuff out there, I mean my god, where did that come from? Yet he is able to deliver. With everybody else, we just call that junk, trash but he delivers. He is phenomenal.”

sinok
03-11-2015, 02:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg
'nuff said

Sean Cagney
03-11-2015, 03:05 AM
That year was the most uncomfortable Championship of them all. The Spurs had tons of talent, a good mix of veterans and young guys, but they were maddening to watch. Blowing their hard earned HCA in every round including the Finals was crazy. Blowing huge leads against the Lakers, falling apart offensively at the worst times, playing down to their competition. It was a pain in the ass to watch but exhilarating in the end. It was especially great to see DRob go out on top with his crippled-ass self. He played big in his final game.
There blown leads and long droughts in games were maddening to say the least. They gave us fans fits.

ElNono
03-11-2015, 03:40 AM

I was just rewatching the broadcast for this game, the whole game is on YouTube.

Part 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjY4KAYnxQ
6:20 : "This is gonna go down as the greatest victory in the history of the Spurs franchise"

:lmao love Walton

romain.star
03-11-2015, 07:44 AM
:toast I forgot that he had such a big game. Although he had a mediocre playoff run that year, he had at least one big scoring game each series:
G3 vs PHX - 12/21 for 29 pts
G6 vs LAL - 9/19 for 27 pts
G3 vs DAL - 13/23 for 29 pts
G3 vs NJN - 9/21 for 26 pts

He actually outscored Duncan in 5 games that postseason, which doesn't seem like much, but considering Tony's age and how incredible Tim's 2003 playoff run was, that's not bad. But Tony had some really really awful games that postseason as well, so overall it wasn't one of his better ones. What Tim did that year in carrying that team to a title was amazing. I remember being at G6 of the Finals when Tim almost had is quad-double. Unbelievable.

I remember that WCF Game 3 at Dallas. Parker put on a show, scoring 29 pts and hiting huge shots in the 4th when the game was still closed. The game ends and it's all about the Parker show. Then, you look at Duncan stats line: 34 pts, 24 rbds, 6 ast, 6 blk and 2 stls

still.focused
03-11-2015, 08:05 AM
"The devolution of Manu Ginobili"

Russo21
03-11-2015, 08:45 AM
Will never forget prime Duncan, what a sight to behold.

pgardn
03-11-2015, 09:18 AM

Walton used so many superlatives he had nowhere to come down.
The guy would climb to the top of a cliff almost any game and hang himself.
Overall he was horrible imo.

baseline bum
03-11-2015, 10:59 AM
The most memorable quote was probably when he said Kobe was making the twin towers look like the twin sisters in Game 1 of the 2001 WCF. I was watching that with a bunch of Laker fans and I never heard the end of that shit.

baseline bum
03-11-2015, 11:03 AM
But my favorite Walton moments were always when he did color for the Clippers. He constantly talked shit about Olowokandi. It was like Spurstalk and Jefferson, he really hated Kandi-ass. Corona was a Clippers sponsor and they always did their promo at the beginning of the fourth quarter. And naturally the Clippers were always down 20 by then, and Walton would say he really needed a Corona after watching the disgraceful performance by the Clippers that night.

Budkin
03-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Fucking Tom Tolbert. Whatever happened to that fraud?

He does games for Sirius XM NBA Radio.

Budkin
03-11-2015, 03:30 PM

I was so conditioned to getting killed by the Lakers that my brain could not accept what was happening in this game. I kept leaving the room telling my wife, we're going to choke, we always choke. Only we never choked. In fact, we just kept puling away. Winning this game the way we did almost felt as good as winning a title, but not quite. I was pretty sure they were going to do it though once we got past the Lakers.

AaronY
03-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Walton, Steve snapper Jones, and albert was the best announcing team ever

doobs
03-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Tony Parker just made the worst pass in the history of Western Civilization.

ViceCity86
03-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Walton, Steve snapper Jones, and albert was the best announcing team ever

Amen :toast

spurs10
03-12-2015, 01:16 AM
“Manu Ginobili is more than capable of being the best player in any game. In any game he can be the best guy. What he has been able to do coming from Argentina, I mean truly, he is the epitome of true greatness in the globalized, changing world that we all live in today,” said Walton to Project Spurs.*

“To come from Argentina, to have Argentina win the World Championship, to have*him win a gold medal in the Olympics, to*have him be the winner of the NBA championship, I mean come on! But that’s what makes him so special and he’s such a class act. He’s so creative, he’s so dynamic, he’s so vibrant, he’s so explosive and he does things that you can’t even dream of.”

“He comes up with this stuff out there, I mean my god, where did that come from? Yet he is able to deliver. With everybody else, we just call that junk, trash but he delivers. He is phenomenal.” Right on Bill Walton! Cool cat......:toast

.G.
03-13-2015, 09:25 AM
"You ever been to a volcano?"

http://deadspin.com/this-bill-walton-tangent-is-one-for-the-ages-1691258386?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow