PDA

View Full Version : Late whistles?

xellos88330
06-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Is anyone else thinking that there have been an unusual amount of late whistles? I personally don't mind if a foul is called, but I would appreciate it being called at the time of the foul and not 3 seconds after the foul was committed. There have been so many already. I wouldn't be concerned about this at all if it weren't for a late whistle on Wades flop. How much speculation do the referees have to use when officiating a game? This is the Finals, I expect the refs to be much more decisive with their calls. So far they haven't been.

For the record, I am not complaining about the calls leaning either way. The late whistle is what concerns me... it doesn't matter who got the call or not.

Spur|n|Austin
06-10-2014, 10:29 AM
It's been driving me insane.

Half the time it seems like they are waiting to see if the shot goes in or not, which is pretty unfair, to put it nicely.

Fireball
06-10-2014, 10:32 AM
It should matter if it is the right call, I do not care much for the delay when a whistle gets blown

bklynspursfan
06-10-2014, 10:33 AM
I am ok with late whistles if it means getting the right call. It's the ones where they wait to see the play play out before calling it: (like this one, which was just a terrible call altogether)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WjiTFmDGXFY/U4KodEeD6vI/AAAAAAAAG7Y/KVZnuhhiIUE/s1600/1.gif

and/or when they call a late call that is clearly a bad call. That's when it is infuriating as a fan IMO. (like the Wade call for example)

TheGoldStandard
06-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Late whistles are always going to be part of the game, the refs do wait to see if the ball goes in before they do something like that. That being said I'd rather there be late whistles then whistles before the actual contact.

snickles
06-10-2014, 10:35 AM
its been going on at least since the beginning of the WCFs. i thought i was just blowing it out of proportion in my head. glad someone else is noticing it.

Proxy
06-10-2014, 11:19 AM
I am ok with late whistles if it means getting the right call. It's the ones where they wait to see the play play out before calling it: (like this one, which was just a terrible call altogether)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WjiTFmDGXFY/U4KodEeD6vI/AAAAAAAAG7Y/KVZnuhhiIUE/s1600/1.gif

and/or when they call a late call that is clearly a bad call. That's when it is infuriating as a fan IMO. (like the Wade call for example)

not sure if a bad call has ever pissed me off more than this one.

I agree with JVG... if it's late, but correct, then whatever. You want the right call to be made. But determining the call based on the aftermath is bullshit.

phxspurfan
06-10-2014, 11:23 AM

That does look like he threw his foot out dude.

bklynspursfan
06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
That does look like he threw his foot out dude.

But notice the ref doesn't call it until the ball goes through the basket. that's the upsetting part.

EVAY
06-10-2014, 11:32 AM
It's been driving me insane.

Half the time it seems like they are waiting to see if the shot goes in or not, which is pretty unfair, to put it nicely.I think that is exactly what they do, and I think they do it intentionally, without trying to be biased about it.

I think sometimes they conclude that if the shot didn't go in, then the foul may have been enough to effect it. If it does go in though, maybe the foul isn't worth calling.

There could be a foul called on virtually every single drive to the basket by every single player in the course of a game, imo. Obviously they don't call them all, and sometimes I think they do this just because they don't want to slow the game for every one of them. When I get really bothered by the non-calls are the ones where Tony, e.g, drives to the paint and gets a basket and has been fouled, but it doesn't get called because the basket got made. That simply emboldens the defenders from there on out to foul more, to the point that now TP (and a few others in the league) get fouled virtually every time and virtually never get calls. I believe (no proof) that that situation makes the shooter less likely to be able to shoot in a normal rhythm because they know they're gong to get hit.

tholdren
06-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Why didnt green's 3's in the fourth get called for fouls. I dont think heat defenders let him land....

mavsfan1000
06-10-2014, 12:25 PM
The most annoying late whistles are the ones reacting to how the player responds to the defensive pressure rather than seeing the actual foul.

xellos88330
06-10-2014, 03:39 PM
The most annoying late whistles are the ones reacting to how the player responds to the defensive pressure rather than seeing the actual foul.

This is my main focus.

superbigtime
06-10-2014, 03:40 PM

This was SUCH a bad call!