12-13-2013, 11:03 PM
DUMB thread. DUMB OP

TheGreatYacht
12-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Manutards using +/- stat :lmao

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-13-2013, 11:05 PM

give you credit man. sticking to your beliefs even though it's completely false and everyone is reading your posts responding with the same emoticon you continuously post

PlayNando
12-13-2013, 11:10 PM
It's Matt Bonner. It's what he does.

PlayNando
12-13-2013, 11:10 PM
DUMB thread. DUMB OP
Maybe so.

DAF86
12-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Canadian intelligence, tbh.

SpurSwag
12-14-2013, 12:25 AM
This is just ridiculous tbh how the fuck does he do this

playbonner15
12-14-2013, 12:41 AM
That's why he won't get traded anytime soon. The numbers are there to back up the Red Mamba:king

Baam
12-14-2013, 12:49 AM
That's why he won't get traded anytime soon. The numbers are there to back up the Red Mamba:king

He's getting traded for sure man, sure it's nice to have a stretch 4 and that's why they signed Thomas who is a better defender as well.

TheGoldStandard
12-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Matt Bonner will never ever be traded, he will be an assistant next season though.

PlayNando
12-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Matt Bonner = future head coach of the Spurs.

cd021
12-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Hate him or hate him, he is incredibly efficient. Almost never turns the ball over and converts most of his 3's. He forces opposing bigs out and opens drive lanes. Defensively he defends the post very well.

Baam
12-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Hate him or hate him, he is incredibly efficient. Almost never turns the ball over and converts most of his 3's. He forces opposing bigs out and opens drive lanes. Defensively he defends the post very well.

Wrong about his D, if that was the case he'd get more minutes...

cd021
12-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Historically he has been a very effective post defender. Post defense is a very specific skill. Diaw is a more versatile player on both sides of the ball. Duncan and Splitter are better defenders as well. It doesn't make him a horrible defender. He just has limitations on that side.

Obstructed_View
12-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Historically the Spurs have gone to great lengths to keep him from being victimized in the post by limiting his minutes and his matchups, hence the good plus/minus numbers. Doesn't make him an effective post defender.

hooperflash
12-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Larry Bird

SpursFan86
12-15-2013, 07:21 AM
There IS a reason Bonner always has solid +/- numbers. As cd021 mentioned, he forces opposing bigs out of the paint, which is extremely valuable when two of our main scoring threats are Parker/Duncan. Opposing teams are forced to stay on Bonner because he WILL make them pay if they don't (shooting +45% from 3 this year). While he might not be a great (or even good) defender, but he DOES have value to us, especially in certain matchups.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not advocating Bonner gets 20+ minutes like he did in 3-4 years ago. Diaw is definitely the better option as backup 4, especially given the way he's been playing this year. But I think those who think Bonner has no place getting any minutes at all are just being too tough on him. Do some of y'all seriously think Bonner just magically ends up with consistently solid +/- numbers for no real reason? They might make him seem a bit better than he actually his, but this point remains: the team (in particularly the offense) generally has success when he's on the court...provided he plays relatively limited minutes and is put in in the right situations.

cd021
12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Historically the Spurs have gone to great lengths to keep him from being victimized in the post by limiting his minutes and his matchups, hence the good plus/minus numbers. Doesn't make him an effective post defender.

Advanced stats say the exact opposite. He actually defends the post quite well. The thing is, there aren't very many post threats in the league nowadays. He does struggle against athletic front lines, though.

td4mvp2k
12-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Trade lookn betta n betta tbh

r0drig0lac
12-15-2013, 11:35 AM
this, soon he will be talking about here is a good player and deserves resign the contract

Raven
12-15-2013, 11:45 AM
your point being?

Interrohater
12-15-2013, 11:55 AM
There is obviously still a lot of hurt over the time period that Matt Bonner was a huge part of this Spurs rotation. Right now, Matt Bonner is perfectly suited for the situation that he's in. He's making about a million dollars less per year than Steve Novak, shoots a better percentage, plays much better defense, scores the same, rebounds better, has the "corporate knowledge", and plays one minute less per game @ ~12 minutes.

Some of you are extremely delusional to think that we will find these diamonds in the rough at ridiculously low salaries. Robinson has been gone for 11 years now and we still haven't found a great player to put next to Timmy. 11 years! We don't get high lottery picks, so they've been trying to find these guys overseas and wherever else they can. Matt Bonner is a great role player for 10 to 13 minutes a night and that probably won't change, so get over the hate. He's good at what he does.

Mel_13
12-15-2013, 12:29 PM

On nba.com you can sort for opposing player's FG% within 5 feet of the basket. Among all NBA bigs who have defended at least 100 FGAs within 5 feet, here are the current stats:

1. Tiago Splitter: 48.5%
2. Roy Hibbert: 49.1%
3. Ed Davis: 49.2%
4. Matt Bonner: 49.2%

13. Tim Duncan: 52.0%

DMC
12-15-2013, 12:42 PM
What opposing big does Matt guard? How do you guard a big by being a traffic cone? How many blocks a game does Matt record? How many steals?

We've seen Bonner get destroyed in situations where he's being asked to defend bigs. These numbers are a product of careful manipulation of player minutes and matchups.

ElNono
12-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Since Splitter's emergence and the addition of other bigs, Matty has been relegated to bench play and spot minutes against matchups that can't exploit his extremely limited game... this is a change Pop made last season, and was very welcome.

While Pop should get the blame for setting up Matty to fail in the past, he should also be recognized for finally realizing what are Matt's limits and using him accordingly.

Interrohater
12-15-2013, 01:02 PM
I don't think you should judge any one player's defense on blocks and steals. If a player understands his rotations and can impede vision of the basket, then he's doing better than probably 50% of bigs out there, maybe more. There are very few elite shot blockers and even fewer bigs that get lots of steals. Matt Bonner is not either one of those. He is what he is; a decent rotational defender and a great 3 point shooter.

Also, he's getting less than 13 minutes a game, what do you people want, ffs.

playbonner15
12-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Make Bonner ashy as fuck and we wont even have this discussion

Raven
12-15-2013, 01:11 PM
advanced stats are not to be considered for players playing less than 30mpg imho..

wildbill2u
12-15-2013, 01:15 PM
I took a Spurs trivia quiz the other day. One question was who was the Spur with the highest rated FG average in 1999-2000 (year from memory). Choices were Duncan, Manu and Mahinmi. Answer was Mahinmi. Why do I cite this>

Statistics over a short time can be an anomaly and mislead. However, over a long period of time the anomalies will even out and the true value of the data will be revealed. People who dismiss the steady and persistent positive 'per' +/- statistics of Bonner over a long period of time and lots of games are simply not looking at his overall play which is clearly positive given his role.

Every player on that roster has a role and Pop plays them based on how well they fulfill that role. I've never heard a Spur player complain that Pop plays favorites on how many minutes they get. Sometimes Pop (like any coach) will pull a player if he isn't performing up to expectations in a particular game--and they can play their way onto the bench and further off the rotation if their play warrants it. Players love that kind of coach because they believe he will be fair in giving them minutes because of their actual production--except for Jax--and not for some reputation gained earlier in their career.

So, back to Bonner. He's a valuable player on the roster for what he does and he's willing to accept his current role without any bitching which is important for team chemistry. Both the Coaches and the players appreciate him. Live with it.

cd021
12-16-2013, 12:17 AM
What opposing big does Matt guard? How do you guard a big by being a traffic cone? How many blocks a game does Matt record? How many steals?

We've seen Bonner get destroyed in situations where he's being asked to defend bigs. These numbers are a product of careful manipulation of player minutes and matchups.

Bullshit.

This must clearly a conspiracy by the good people at NBA.com/stats

these numbers are fairly consistent for several seasons (his post defense), it isn't some manipulation. It really annoys me when someone has an opposing view and then attacks the credibility of an advanced stat on the merit that it doesn't gel with their opinion which, may be wrong to begin with. This is exactly what "BAAM" does.

He defended Randolph and Howard as well as anyone. Randolph looked frustrated in the WCF. This really goes without saying in today's NBA, which shocks me that I actually have to but defense isn't just measured in blocks and steals. As I mentioned before, there aren't a ton of great post players in the league. That being said Bonner, for 10 minutes can step in a play solid post defense.

Offensively, the Spurs generally are difficult to stop when he is on the floor, whether he is hitting 3's or not. Teams have to expect he will hit a 3 if left open.

The Spurs actually exclusively had Bonner set screens for Parker, in hopes of exploiting Randolph's defense. Forcing him to step out 24 feet on Bonner after the roll or have to keep Parker in front of him.

I also mentioned that he does struggle with teams with athletic big men (like Denver) he gets a bad rap on that side of the ball. Is he better defensively than Duncan, Splitter, or Diaw? of course not. But he can be effective.

cd021
12-16-2013, 12:27 AM
advanced stats are not to be considered for players playing less than 30mpg imho..

What about Duncan. He played 30.1 mpg so his 95 defensive rating counts because he was on the floor an extra 10 minutes at the end of the seasoned. It seems arbitrary to me. Why not a player who plays more than 20 mpg?

DMC
12-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Bullshit.

This must clearly a conspiracy by the good people at NBA.com/stats

these numbers are fairly consistent for several seasons (his post defense), it isn't some manipulation. It really annoys me when someone has an opposing view and then attacks the credibility of an advanced stat on the merit that it doesn't gel with their opinion which, may be wrong to begin with. This is exactly what "BAAM" does.

He defended Randolph and Howard as well as anyone. Randolph looked frustrated in the WCF. This really goes without saying in today's NBA, which shocks me that I actually have to but defense isn't just measured in blocks and steals. As I mentioned before, there aren't a ton of great post players in the league. That being said Bonner, for 10 minutes can step in a play solid post defense.

Offensively, the Spurs generally are difficult to stop when he is on the floor, whether he is hitting 3's or not. Teams have to expect he will hit a 3 if left open.

The Spurs actually exclusively had Bonner set screens for Parker, in hopes of exploiting Randolph's defense. Forcing him to step out 24 feet on Bonner after the roll or have to keep Parker in front of him.

I also mentioned that he does struggle with teams with athletic big men (like Denver) he gets a bad rap on that side of the ball. Is he better defensively than Duncan, Splitter, or Diaw? of course not. But he can be effective.

So then the Spurs should start Matt Bonner at center and have him guard the best bigs on other teams.

That's what you're saying when you disagreed with my assertion "careful manipulation of player minutes and matchups".

If Bonner was a defensive asset, we'd know. It wouldn't need to be pointed out to people using advanced statistics.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Bonner has the lower body strength to keep guys out of the post. It's why he did so well against Randolph. Dude is strong which should be obvious from looking at him.

His issue is lateral quickness. He cannot chase on the perimeter particularly well, is slow getting over on rotations --although his awareness helps,-- and fares poorly against the dribble.

Now sure a guy like one of the Gasol brothers can just shoot over him but they aren't going to O'Neal-on-Dudley him either.

cd021
12-16-2013, 09:40 AM
So then the Spurs should start Matt Bonner at center and have him guard the best bigs on other teams.

That's what you're saying when you disagreed with my assertion "careful manipulation of player minutes and matchups".

If Bonner was a defensive asset, we'd know. It wouldn't need to be pointed out to people using advanced statistics.

I said Duncan, Splitter and Diaw were better defenders. Thats why he doesn't start. That doesn't make him a bad player or defender, solely because he doesn't start. I also said that he is a very good player to throw in for 10 minutes.

Bonner showed it in the post season against teams with good post players (Memphis & L.A. Lakers). He has shown the ability to defend the post for sometime now. Its not like the advanced stat contradicts what anyone ,who actually watches him, sees.

cd021
12-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Bonner has the lower body strength to keep guys out of the post. It's why he did so well against Randolph. Dude is strong which should be obvious from looking at him.

His issue is lateral quickness. He cannot chase on the perimeter particularly well, is slow getting over on rotations --although his awareness helps,-- and fares poorly against the dribble.

Now sure a guy like one of the Gasol brothers can just shoot over him but they aren't going to O'Neal-on-Dudley him either.

I agree. Really half the battle in the NBA is being in the right position, as a post player he does that.

DMC
12-16-2013, 09:58 AM
I said Duncan, Splitter and Diaw were better defenders. Thats why he doesn't start. That doesn't make him a bad player or defender, solely because he doesn't start. I also said that he is a very good player to throw in for 10 minutes.

Bonner showed it in the post season against teams with good post players (Memphis & L.A. Lakers). He has shown the ability to defend the post for sometime now. Its not like the advanced stat contradicts what anyone ,who actually watches him, sees.

Bonner is a below average defender. Since you don't quantify "bad" I have no idea how to even address that.

Drom John
12-16-2013, 10:09 AM
One thing that helps Bonner's +/- somewhat is that Matt often comes in for 1 possession or 2 of 3 possessions at the end of quarters. It's hard to get minus numbers when the other team doesn't have the ball.

Obstructed_View
12-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced stats say the exact opposite. He actually defends the post quite well. The thing is, there aren't very many post threats in the league nowadays. He does struggle against athletic front lines, though.

I'm not sure how advanced stats can account for the Spurs' help defense. Matt Bonner doesn't have an "opposing player" because he's not locked up on one guy. When teams isolate on him, the Spurs throw help defenders or pull Bonner out of the game. Must be nice to benefit from "advanced stats" because Tim Duncan is guarding his guy and half of your guy at the same time.

Obstructed_View
12-17-2013, 11:39 AM
It's why he did so well against Randolph.
You must be talking about the broke down Randolph that laid an egg against the Spurs last year. Two years earlier Randolph and everyone else in a Memphis uniform took turns victimizing Bonner in the post.

td4mvp2k
12-17-2013, 12:41 PM
You must be talking about the broke down Randolph that laid an egg against the Spurs last year. Two years earlier Randolph and everyone else in a Memphis uniform took turns victimizing Bonner in the post.+1

FuzzyLumpkins
12-17-2013, 03:01 PM
You must be talking about the broke down Randolph that laid an egg against the Spurs last year. Two years earlier Randolph and everyone else in a Memphis uniform took turns victimizing Bonner in the post.

Sorry but his fronting and 3 quarters coverage on Randolph was key. You are right about 2011 but everyone including one of the best post defenders in history in Duncan was getting owned that year. By your logic he cannot cover either.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure how advanced stats can account for the Spurs' help defense. Matt Bonner doesn't have an "opposing player" because he's not locked up on one guy. When teams isolate on him, the Spurs throw help defenders or pull Bonner out of the game. Must be nice to benefit from "advanced stats" because Tim Duncan is guarding his guy and half of your guy at the same time.

Nice story. Too bad its bullshit. Give an example of a game in the last two years were opposing teams were feeding the ball against Bonner in the post, him getting owned, and then yanked according to your narrative.

Obstructed_View
12-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Sorry but his fronting and 3 quarters coverage on Randolph was key. You are right about 2011 but everyone including one of the best post defenders in history in Duncan was getting owned that year. By your logic he cannot cover either.

Uh, no. Duncan wasn't the one being scored on at will. Hill and Parker were beyond terrible, but everyone on the front line was scoring on Bonner because he was getting the minutes that should have gone to Splitter.

playbonner15
12-17-2013, 09:43 PM
ST arguing about the team's 6th big :lol

cd021
12-18-2013, 02:14 AM

Randolph had an great postseason in 2011. That doesn't mean that when he didn't play up to that he was "broken down".

Regular Season P.E.R
10-11-21.8
11-12-17.9
12-13-17.9
13-14-16.4

Post season P.E.R
'10-11-22.0
11-12-15.0
12-13-17.7

Bonner get victimized this time around.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-18-2013, 02:34 AM
Uh, no. Duncan wasn't the one being scored on at will. Hill and Parker were beyond terrible, but everyone on the front line was scoring on Bonner because he was getting the minutes that should have gone to Splitter.

Nice, now you are characterizing circumstances as 'should' and the like. More great stories! Now why don't you villianize someone..... Wait! who was it that didn't start Splitter? YES!!!! POP = VILLAIN!!! This is shaping up to be a great story!

Duncan drew Gasol and yes Gasol was having his way for the most part especially defending Duncan. Hollins forced the matchup with his substitutions. Gasol ended up with 14 points on 10 shots for the series. Duncan was held under 13 ppg shooting 47% from the field. Pedestrian, tbh.

Interesting how your story left out McDyess but then again I didn't really mean it when I said it was a good story.

I am more than willing to admit that Bonner played very poorly in 2011 but dismissing his good play in 2013 is plain bias.

cd021
12-18-2013, 02:40 AM
You understand that that '11 postseason was a 1 time deal, he hasn't played that well since then. Healthy or not.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-18-2013, 02:48 AM
You understand that that '11 postseason was a 1 time deal, he hasn't played that well since then. Healthy or not.

Sure, 2011 was clearly Randolph's peak.

HI-FI
12-18-2013, 03:26 AM
don't feel like quoting a bunch of posts but good to see some Bonner respect on here.

cd021
12-18-2013, 10:21 AM
One thing that helps Bonner's +/- somewhat is that Matt often comes in for 1 possession or 2 of 3 possessions at the end of quarters. It's hard to get minus numbers when the other team doesn't have the ball.

Last season he had a on court +/- of +13.2 in 1300 minutes. The Spurs were +9.3 points per 100 possessions, when he was on the bench. Interestingly the less he plays per game season to season the more effective the Spurs are when he is on the floor. Justifying his change of pace role he plays.

Dex
12-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Sure, 2011 was clearly Randolph's peak.

Dude played out of his mind that series. Was dropping three balls and shit. Hard to believe it's even the same player when you watch him now.

Obstructed_View
12-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Nice, now you are characterizing circumstances as 'should' and the like. More great stories! Now why don't you villianize someone..... Wait! who was it that didn't start Splitter? YES!!!! POP = VILLAIN!!! This is shaping up to be a great story!
Okay, let's forget that Splitter probably played the best of any of the Spurs in that series, despite not being in the rotation for the entire season. Let's instead be super objective and make the case that Splitter wasn't the best option over Bonner, Blair or McDyess based solely on his production since that season. I still got nothin'. How about you?

Duncan drew Gasol and yes Gasol was having his way for the most part especially defending Duncan. Hollins forced the matchup with his substitutions. Gasol ended up with 14 points on 10 shots for the series. Duncan was held under 13 ppg shooting 47% from the field. Pedestrian, tbh.

Interesting how your story left out McDyess but then again I didn't really mean it when I said it was a good story.
McDyess struggled, and actually strengthens the case for starting Splitter, but your advanced stats show that he was fourth on the team in defensive rating for that series. Bonner was better than only Steve Novak.

I am more than willing to admit that Bonner played very poorly in 2011 but dismissing his good play in 2013 is plain bias.
He had his moments in 2013. Beating up on a broken-down-and-pouting Dwight gave him quite a bit of confidence. Giving him credit for that is a far fucking cry from saying that he's one of the better post defenders in the league or that he has lower body strength to force guys off the lower block, implying he's always been that effective. The Spurs still have to cover for him on defense.

Matt Bonner is a walking lottery ticket. If he weren't capable of rattling off several threes in a short span he wouldn't be on this or any other team.

Obstructed_View
12-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Dude played out of his mind that series. Was dropping three balls and shit. Hard to believe it's even the same player when you watch him now.

Hard to believe it's the same team. Every single guy on the squad showed up with their A game for that series.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Okay, let's forget that Splitter probably played the best of any of the Spurs in that series, despite not being in the rotation for the entire season. Let's instead be super objective and make the case that Splitter wasn't the best option over Bonner, Blair or McDyess based solely on his production since that season. I still got nothin'. How about you?

McDyess struggled, and actually strengthens the case for starting Splitter, but your advanced stats show that he was fourth on the team in defensive rating for that series. Bonner was better than only Steve Novak.

He had his moments in 2013. Beating up on a broken-down-and-pouting Dwight gave him quite a bit of confidence. Giving him credit for that is a far fucking cry from saying that he's one of the better post defenders in the league or that he has lower body strength to force guys off the lower block, implying he's always been that effective. The Spurs still have to cover for him on defense.

Matt Bonner is a walking lottery ticket. If he weren't capable of rattling off several threes in a short span he wouldn't be on this or any other team.

The thread is about Matt Bonner. You have turned it into your story of how Pop should have played Splitter more in 2011. You have laid out your bias clearly.

I like Splitter too. :toast

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Matt Fucking Bonner needs to go!

Obstructed_View
12-19-2013, 05:22 AM
The thread is about Matt Bonner. You have turned it into your story of how Pop should have played Splitter more in 2011. You have laid out your bias clearly.

I like Splitter too. :toast
I was replying to your post. My reply has a lot about Matt Bonner in it. You're trying to change the subject because your case is falling apart. You turned it into the story of my "bias" because you have absolutely nothing to back up your position. Then you made it about how Marc Gasol dominated Tim Duncan. Then you made it about Antonio McDyess. I addressed each issue, showed you how Matt Bonner contributed to the bad situations or was worse than anyone else on the team.

You said that Matt Bonner has somehow developed this enormous lower-body strength in his eighth year in the league to become an effective defender, which is laugh-out-loud funny. Matt Bonner sucks unless he's hitting threes, and wouldn't be in the rotation on any NBA team if he weren't a really good shooter. He's in the rotation for the Spurs because Pop's in love with the three pointer and other guys are hurt. Them's the facts.

td4mvp2k
12-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Matt Fucking Bonner needs to go!:tu

FuzzyLumpkins
12-19-2013, 03:57 PM
I was replying to your post. My reply has a lot about Matt Bonner in it. You're trying to change the subject because your case is falling apart. You turned it into the story of my "bias" because you have absolutely nothing to back up your position. Then you made it about how Marc Gasol dominated Tim Duncan. Then you made it about Antonio McDyess. I addressed each issue, showed you how Matt Bonner contributed to the bad situations or was worse than anyone else on the team.

You said that Matt Bonner has somehow developed this enormous lower-body strength in his eighth year in the league to become an effective defender, which is laugh-out-loud funny. Matt Bonner sucks unless he's hitting threes, and wouldn't be in the rotation on any NBA team if he weren't a really good shooter. He's in the rotation for the Spurs because Pop's in love with the three pointer and other guys are hurt. Them's the facts.

:lol

We have stats to back up claims of post defense. You never responded with an example of post players just Shaqing him into dunk out of post plays. They don't exist for the most part. You really don't think Bonner has good strength?

Instead we now get stories. You characterize once again as 'falling apart' and make claims of having addressed 'everything' and now I have 'nothing' etc. You are like Apple without the sans serif font: no substance nor style.

Spur Bank
12-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Game isn't over, but so far, Bonner leads the team yet again... +10, 13 minutes, 0 for 1 FG. All hail.

PlayNando
12-20-2013, 12:53 AM
:tu

cd021
12-20-2013, 01:44 AM
+10 in 13 minutes. Its ridicolous how good we score the basketball when he is on the floor...

PlayNando
12-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Bonner: 0 in 2 minutes... T-2nd on the team behind Tiago Splitter (+4 in 24 minutes).

PlayNando
12-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Bonner tonight: +4 in 6 minutes in the Spurs' 111-98 loss. :tu

PlayNando
01-03-2014, 02:46 AM
Bonner tonight: +5 in 13 minutes.

Third on the team in +/- behind Ginobili (+16) and Mills (+6).

The Red Rocket with the +/- goods, per par. :lol

HI-FI
01-03-2014, 03:23 AM
Bonner tonight: +5 in 13 minutes.

Third on the team in +/- behind Ginobili (+16) and Mills (+6).

The Red Rocket with the +/- goods, per par. :lol
:tu

though tbh, he, Ginobili and Mills all look better than last year, and helped cover up first team's shit on numerous games now.

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
I hate Jeff Ayres

Spur Bank
01-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Bump. +17 in today's loss.

wildbill2u
01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
I did a double take on one lineup we had out there [mills, joseph, bellinelli, ayers and bonner] and realized Bonner was the best defender on the floor. That was very sobering.

Spur Bank
02-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Two games ago, it's February 1st, 3rd quarter with 4:26 to go. Spurs are down by 4 points. Bonner comes in, doesn't leave until there's just 12 seconds left in the game. After trailing all game, the Spurs now have the lead. Coincidence?

Last game, February 3rd, 4th quarter with 9:45 to go. Spurs down 11 to the Pellies, Bonner comes in. 9 minutes later, it's 0:27 left and Bonner checks out with the Spurs up by 8 (+19). Coincidence?

Must be. Don't let stats fool you. Guy's obviously terrible. You can tell because you can tell. I mean, he's Matt Bonner. And don't let the fact that he's been stellar of 2 of the last 3 postseason fool you, including last season's .469 3P% in which he played 267 minutes, by far the most of his playoff career. He's obviously a playoff choker. I know because Matt Bonner. I WATCH THE GAMES.

HI-FI
02-04-2014, 08:53 PM
:tu Bonner just shitting on ST, nothing new here.

r0drig0lac
02-04-2014, 09:09 PM
:tu Bonner just shitting on ST, nothing new here.
exactly, Bonner is the goat, what's new?

Phenomanul
02-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Bonner consistently spreads the floor providing Tony/Manu with more open lanes to the basket.

As the 4th big in the rotation, having Bonner is a luxury.

Bonner at 15 minutes per game is a good thing (as his occasional presence throws a wrench at the other team's defensive game plan).

Bonner at more than 15 minutes per game is where it begins to unravel because then the other team can properly plan for the known offensive sets the Spurs run when he's on the floor. Defensively they go at him consistently exploiting his slightly lower lateral mobility and ironically the Red Rocket's general lack of lift.