PDA

View Full Version : Would you make this move?

JonNOKC
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
There have been several threads about potential big man targets, some legitimate, others fairy tales. Looking around the NBA there are a few teams in siutations where it would seem to make sense to make moves, and one is Kings.

The arena situation has continued to go downhill, as has the team. It certainly appears the owners are looking to relocate or less likely sale the franchise. Given the Kings current state there are two things the Maloof brothers value right now - Cap flexibility and draft picks (tbh I think the Maloofs would be fine tanking the season to get as high a pick as possible) Given that I think this could be a pluasible trade:

Main Player from SA - Stephen Jackson Main Player(s) from Kings - Jason Thompson and Chuck Hayes

I think there would be additional fillers especially on the Spurs part most likely Blair, pick, and possibly rights to an euro - and depending on the trade could have an additional player come back to SA (Honeycutt, or less likely but possible with Bonner, Blair and Mills included - Garcia)

For Spurs it gives them as good of a big man as I think they can realistically get in Thompson who is enjoying a nice season and has seem to extend his shooting some hitting 50% of his shots from 10-16ft (last year only 38%). He is a good rebounder and fairly young. And Chuck Hayes while undersize and underwhelming, is just a solid all around player who I think could fit nicely in a limited role. The Spurs could most likely structure this trade to take back less salary than they give up if they chose possibly giving them more cap space this year.

The negative besides trading away Capt Jack and SF depth is the Spurs lose cap flexibility moving forward, Thompson is owed about 5.2 million for 5 years and Hayes 5.5 million for 3 years, but I think it would be an immediate upgrade of the Spurs frontcourt, especially rebounding and defense.

For the Kings they get rid of 2 longer term contracst and players that really don't fit their future plans, while gaining expiring contract(s) in JAck, Blair, Bonner if involved (2nd yr non guaranteed), also add draft pick and or younger Euro prospect.

In a perfect world Capt Jack negotiates buyout with Kings and finds his way back to SA, but the Spurs could also structure trade to include Honeycutt, maybe Garcia, possibly followup with another trade, or sign a James Anderson cheap to fill out SF position.

I know the trade isn't sexy but would like to hear your feedback.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d6mmlmp

GO SPURS GO

lefty
12-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Bruno has the answet

therealtruth
12-20-2012, 10:24 PM
There have been several threads about potential big man targets, some legitimate, others fairy tales. Looking around the NBA there are a few teams in siutations where it would seem to make sense to make moves, and one is Kings.

The arena situation has continued to go downhill, as has the team. It certainly appears the owners are looking to relocate or less likely sale the franchise. Given the Kings current state there are two things the Maloof brothers value right now - Cap flexibility and draft picks (tbh I think the Maloofs would be fine tanking the season to get as high a pick as possible) Given that I think this could be a pluasible trade:

Main Player from SA - Stephen Jackson Main Player(s) from Kings - Jason Thompson and Chuck Hayes

I think there would be additional fillers especially on the Spurs part most likely Blair, pick, and possibly rights to an euro - and depending on the trade could have an additional player come back to SA (Honeycutt, or less likely but possible with Bonner, Blair and Mills included - Garcia)

For Spurs it gives them as good of a big man as I think they can realistically get in Thompson who is enjoying a nice season and has seem to extend his shooting some hitting 50% of his shots from 10-16ft (last year only 38%). He is a good rebounder and fairly young. And Chuck Hayes while undersize and underwhelming, is just a solid all around player who I think could fit nicely in a limited role. The Spurs could most likely structure this trade to take back less salary than they give up if they chose possibly giving them more cap space this year.

The negative besides trading away Capt Jack and SF depth is the Spurs lose cap flexibility moving forward, Thompson is owed about 5.2 million for 5 years and Hayes 5.5 million for 3 years, but I think it would be an immediate upgrade of the Spurs frontcourt, especially rebounding and defense.

For the Kings they get rid of 2 longer term contracst and players that really don't fit their future plans, while gaining expiring contract(s) in JAck, Blair, Bonner if involved (2nd yr non guaranteed), also add draft pick and or younger Euro prospect.

In a perfect world Capt Jack negotiates buyout with Kings and finds his way back to SA, but the Spurs could also structure trade to include Honeycutt, maybe Garcia, possibly followup with another trade, or sign a James Anderson cheap to fill out SF position.

I know the trade isn't sexy but would like to hear your feedback.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d6mmlmp

GO SPURS GO

We can't do that 30 day trick we used to get Kurt Thomas and keep Brent Barry anymore.

RD2191
12-20-2012, 10:28 PM
we need some interior defenders and neither of these guys provide it

cd021
12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
We can't do that 30 day trick we used to get Kurt Thomas and keep Brent Barry anymore.

I'm pretty sure its 90 days now.

Seventyniner
12-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure its 90 days now.

Nope, it's July 1 now. No way of getting Jax back this season if the Spurs trade him, unless they trade other players to get him back, and how weird would that be?

Russo21
12-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Chuck is just a tweener undersized PF like Blair. He won't be of any help to us.

I really like Jason Thompson though if he could be had i'd like him as a Spur.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c6prblt

With that we get a really good young big to man up with Timmy and Tiago and a very servicable SF to play alongside Kawhi.

Sacramento get rid of two players with 5 years and 3 years on their contracts and take back two players with expiring contracts. So they'd probably consider doing that.

TimmehC
12-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Not even Petrie would go for that.

Chinook
12-20-2012, 11:06 PM
I like Hayes, but he's not what the Spurs need. He's a great man defender, but he's too short to block a lot of shots. I don't know why the Kings would trade Thompson right after they resigned him, but he seems like a good bigman himself. But the Spurs would have six bigs on the roster after that trade who are making at least $3.5 Million this year. That's way too much at one position. Bonner and/or Diaw and probably Splitter would have to be moved to make room.

I think it's a lateral move as it stands. If you replace Thompson with a stretch four who can block shots, I think you'd have an awesome pair of defensive bigs off the bench with player X and Hayes. The spacing would be horrible, though.

BackHome
12-20-2012, 11:11 PM
We have people to trade teams (expiring contracts) are looking at tanking at getting the number one pick and I would have no problems trading SJ/Neal/Blair/Bonner. The last games have shown we don't have what it takes to probably get out of the first round and I am sick of players playing out of there positions. Come on playing SG..6'1 and PF..6'6. The Spur organization have done a terrible job of developing any bigs even though that is our Achilles hill.

maverick1948
12-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Chuck is just a tweener undersized PF like Blair. He won't be of any help to us.

I really like Jason Thompson though if he could be had i'd like him as a Spur.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c6prblt

With that we get a really good young big to man up with Timmy and Tiago and a very servicable SF to play alongside Kawhi.

Sacramento get rid of two players with 5 years and 3 years on their contracts and take back two players with expiring contracts. So they'd probably consider doing that.

That trade wont happen would put the Spurs in the luxury tax level. Maybe you should look for 3 or 4 team trades where the expiring contracts will do some good.
Can you say Seattle Kings (Supersonics)?

Chinook
12-21-2012, 12:08 AM
That trade wont happen would put the Spurs in the luxury tax level. Maybe you should look for 3 or 4 team trades where the expiring contracts will do some good.
Can you say Seattle Kings (Supersonics)?

Replacing Blair with Bonner would get it done. I'd rather have this permutation, though:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cosry43

Garcia is shooting 40 percent on threes this year. If he can play adequate defense, he can back up Kawhi at the three. Fredette is a rawer version of Neal. He needs a lot of work to become even the playmaker Neal is, but he's also a pure shooter who'd fit in well with Manu, Nando and Diaw making plays for him. This deal would save the Kings tons of money over the next five years, but they don't really need to worry about saving money anyway, as they seem to struggle reaching the salary floor every year. I don't know if they'd do this trade, but it could give them room for Robinson, and Neal could definitely be resigned to a good deal. Bonner's shooting could help Cousins or Robinson work down low, so it's a decent move from a basketball perspective, too.

cd021
12-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Nope, it's July 1 now. No way of getting Jax back this season if the Spurs trade him, unless they trade other players to get him back, and how weird would that be?

Just to clarify, we could trade captain and sign him as free agent after free agency starts? Thats not terrible, i guess, but not for Hayes & Thompson.

cd021
12-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Replacing Blair with Bonner would get it done. I'd rather have this permutation, though:

Garcia is shooting 40 percent on threes this year. If he can play adequate defense, he can back up Kawhi at the three. Fredette is a rawer version of Neal. He needs a lot of work to become even the playmaker Neal is, but he's also a pure shooter who'd fit in well with Manu, Nando and Diaw making plays for him. This deal would save the Kings tons of money over the next five years, but they don't really need to worry about saving money anyway, as they seem to struggle reaching the salary floor every year. I don't know if they'd do this trade, but it could give them room for Robinson, and Neal could definitely be resigned to a good deal. Bonner's shooting could help Cousins or Robinson work down low, so it's a decent move from a basketball perspective, too.

Remember nabbing Freddette is guaranteed money for non essential player. The Spurs have prided itself on cap flex. a role player with two years best and he may not even be able to help the spurs would be a no-go.

Chinook
12-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Remember nabbing Freddette is guaranteed money for non essential player. The Spurs have prided itself on cap flex. a role player with two years best and he may not even be able to help the spurs would be a no-go.

If the Spurs don't want to add salary for next season, it really limits their trade options. They may have to overpay in order to get back only expiring contracts in return, and I think that's too high of a price to pay for what I think it going to be useless flexibility in July. The idea that the Spurs will sign a big-time free agent this summer is quixotic, in my opinion. I think it's more likely that they'll make a trade instead like they did in 2004 and 2009. If that's the case, they could just do it now with expirings. As I said in the post you quoted, that's the main reason why the Kings would make this trade in the first place.

However, the idea that Freddette would not be used on the Spurs is one with which I disagree. Neal and Mills already play that role. Freddette is a great shooter, and in the Spurs system, I'd expect him to excel at that even more. The fact that he's on a long-term deal (which can be ended after next season if his option isn't picked up anyway) is a good thing, because the Spurs don't have to worry about paying him more for a while. That's not the case with Neal or Mills, who can both be free agents after this season. Even if the Spurs decided that they don't want to keep Jimmer, they could get rid of him pretty easily, as his contract is relatively small and his shooting is desirable to almost every team.

There are legitimate reasons for nixing this trade, and I'd agree with most of them. But I don't think Jimmer's contract would be a big hold up. If I could get Freddette back after trading Neal, I'd consider it a good consolation prize.

Cklbmk
12-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Obviously you rather have that because its not a realistic trade.

Chinook
12-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Obviously you rather have that because its not a realistic trade.

You're overrating the Kings' players and short-selling the Spurs'. That trade is just fine. Tons of cap relief and a better shooter for a big who is not going to be in their long-term plans unless they trade Cousins (which could easily happen now, I concede) is a very fair offer. It may not be the best deal they can get, but by no means is it unrealistic.