PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Heaviest PGs and Does it Help Their Game?

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I saw mention of Chris Paul's obesity in another thread and realized the broader topic of fat point guards probably warrants its own thread, especially given the overall crap quality of threads this offseason. Although it is often said that a point guard is "strong" which refers to muscle, is there such thing as too big for the position?

I will start off by saying that Andre Miller is a fatass, but it doesn't seem to hurt his game as it allows him to back down the featherweights in the post. He also doesn't seem overly slow because of it. I am going to say that Andre Miller gets my pick as the point guard whose rotund dimensions help him the most.

Which other point guards are fat and do you think it helps or hurts them?

TheRealCB
07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Derek Fisher
Jason Kidd

No wonder those 3 are also considered the strongest PG's.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Deron Williams - His fatness has gotten out of hand the last 2 years, but at the right amount it was an asset.

Baron Davis - Also an asset in limited doses. It's also made him injury prone and overall had a negative effect on his career.

Kyle Lowry - Turned a good defender into a bad defender.

Chauncey Billups - Probably the best at utilizing his fatness. Could make a living posting smaller PGs up.

Raymond Felton - He would suck fat or skinny. :lol dumbfucks who slobbed his knob for the fluke half-season he had with New York.

Clipper Nation
07-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Baron "Fatass" Davis comes to mind, tbh... and he sucked...

lefty
07-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Magic Johnson was still good as a fatass old shit bag with aids

But it's Magic

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Mark Jackson used his fatass well.

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Deron Williams - His fatness has gotten out of hand the last 2 years, but at the right amount it was an asset.

Baron Davis - Also an asset in limited doses. It's also made him injury prone and overall had a negative effect on his career.

Kyle Lowry - Turned a good defender into a bad defender.

Chauncey Billups - Probably the best at utilizing his fatness. Could make a living posting smaller PGs up.

Raymond Felton - He would suck fat or skinny. :lol dumbfucks who slobbed his knob for the fluke half-season he had with New York.

BD is definitely in my list of top fatties at the position. Even in his prime when he wasn't that fat I think he was already above 220. I wonder what he is now. I didn't know Lowry was fat though - just thought he looked stocky.

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Derek Fisher
Jason Kidd

No wonder those 3 are also considered the strongest PG's.

They call Fisher "strong" but I think they're just referring to how he uses his ass to provide a low center of gravity and to intimidate younger players.

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Magic Johnson was still good as a fatass old shit bag with aids

But it's Magic

I remember when Magic came back and weighed like 260 and played center. That was weird. And yes, he looked huge.

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Mark Jackson used his fatass well.

A fatass helps in the post. Miller shows flashes of Jackson with his use of the posterior advantage.

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Baron "Fatass" Davis comes to mind, tbh... and he sucked...

Do you think Chris Paul is fatter as a Clipper? Apparently some were saying it was ridiculous, like he put on 30 pounds or so since NO.

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:01 AM
There are some people who can carry the weight proportionately and so it doesn't hinder them. Some of these people just happen to have fluid movements and accuracy that's in the top tier of the league. Some of them happen to be on decent teams so you actually watch them play.

I think Blair would be a great point guard. He's fat. Did you know he doesn't have ACLs? Isn't that strange that he can walk?

Clipper Nation
07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Do you think Chris Paul is fatter as a Clipper? Apparently some were saying it was ridiculous, like he put on 30 pounds or so since NO.
Nah, I think he just got fatter after his knee injury.... no big deal, though, still the best PG in the game....

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Rondo is the best PG in the game. He can shoot but he most often won't, but damn can he dish.

If I was building a team and needed a point guard and actually wanted to challenge for a title, I would take Rondo over Paul any day.

Clipper Nation
07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Rondo is not the best PG in the game... CP3 can put up them assists AND be a reliable scoring option, tbh... also gets a lot of steals....

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Boston would have had more than one title if Paul was their PG. He's a great passer as well, and made shitty Clippers and Hornets teams into high seeded playoff seeded teams. He would have made the Celtics a dynasty. Rondo is the better defender, but offensively Paul is way better since he can pass and score when needed.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2012, 11:17 AM
As I've been saying for years, fat PGs are unreliable and overrated..it's rare for a fat PG to have a long peak, tbh..

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Boston would have had more than one title if Paul was their PG. He's a great passer as well, and made shitty Clippers and Hornets teams into high seeded playoff seeded teams. He would have made the Celtics a dynasty. Rondo is the better defender, but offensively Paul is way better since he can pass and score when needed.
:lmao

Is this the same Paul who was swept by the Spurs?

Knob slobbing overrated PGs :lol

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
:lmao

Is this the same Paul who was swept by the Spurs?

Knob slobbing overrated PGs :lol

Coming from the same person who said Rondo can shoot :lol

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Coming from the same person who said Rondo can shoot :lol

Chris Paul shot 42% and averaged 8 assists, 5.1rbs and 17.3ppg in the playoffs this year.

Rondo shot 47% and averaged 12 assists, 6.7rbs and 17.3ppg in the playoffs this year.

:wakeup

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Chris Paul shot 42% and averaged 10 assists and 17.3ppg in the playoffs this year.

Rondo shot 47% and averaged 12 assists and 17.3ppg in the playoffs this year.

:wakeup

You must look at batting average and RBIs as well.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Rondo shoots 24% from 3s and 60% from the FT line in his career. Great fucking shooter.

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
You must look at batting average and RBIs as well.

Still in love with your ex :lmao

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Rondo shoots 24% from 3s and 60% from the FT line in his career. Great fucking shooter.

I didn't say he's a great shooter. I said he can shoot. Many decent shooters suck at the FT line.

Your ex shoot first PG will never win a ring except maybe when he becomes a backup to Rondo.

Clipper Nation
07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
If CP3 was scared to shoot like Rondo, he could put up Rondo-esque assist numbers, tbh...

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Still in love with your ex :lmao

Changing the subject :lol

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
If CP3 was scared to shoot like Rondo, he could put up Rondo-esque assist numbers, tbh...

If CP3 played like Rondo, he might have a ring by now, like Rondo.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I didn't say he's a great shooter. I said he can shoot. Many decent shooters suck at the FT line.

Your ex shoot first PG will never win a ring except maybe when he becomes a backup to Rondo.

Saying Paul is a shoot first PG :lol

How many assists would Paul have playing next to 3 Hall of Famers? Paul played with David West his whole career :lol

And no Rondo can't shoot. He gets most of his points inside the paint on layups and floaters.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Thinking Paul could have won a ring on those Hornets and Clippers teams :lol

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Thinking Paul could have won a ring on those Hornets and Clippers teams :lol

Blaming everyone but the guy who runs the show :lol

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Blaming everyone but the guy who runs the show :lol

Who said I blamed anyone? But I doubt you really think Paul could have led either of those teams to a championship.

How many Hall of Famers has he played with compared to Rondo?

Give up DMC. You're getting owned.

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Saying Paul is a shoot first PG :lol

How many assists would Paul have playing next to 3 Hall of Famers? Paul played with David West his whole career :lol

And no Rondo can't shoot. He gets most of his points inside the paint on layups and floaters.

That's it, blame everyone except the point.

DMC
07-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Who said I blamed anyone? But I doubt you really think Paul could have led either of those teams to a championship.

How many Hall of Famers has he played with compared to Rondo?

Give up DMC. You're getting owned.

TC and Peja had to go to Dallas to win a ring under Kidd.

West got to the 2nd round with scrubs in Indy.

Neither of these guys have ever played with a HOFer player, as they are all still playing.

None of the big 3 ever won a ring before Rondo.

:lol grading your own progress is as objective as your homer take on Paul

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
TC and Peja had to go to Dallas to win a ring under Kidd.

West got to the 2nd round with scrubs in Indy.

Neither of these guys have ever played with a HOFer player, as they are all still playing.

None of the big 3 ever won a ring before Rondo.

:lol grading your own progress is as objective as your homer take on Paul

So obviously Kidd was the biggest reason for the Mavs success. Peja was a backup on the Mavs. Chandler hardly played for the Hornets after the 2007-2008 season due to injuries.

Going to the 2nd round is the same as winning a championship. Granger and Hibbert both made the All-Star team yet their scrubs.

Obviously KG, Pierce, and Allen won't go to the Hall of Fame.

Neither of the Big 3 played together before they became the Big 3.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Oh Paul averaged 9.8 assists per game in his career compared to Rondo's 8.1.

DMC
07-04-2012, 12:12 PM
So obviously Kidd was the biggest reason for the Mavs success. Peja was a backup on the Mavs. Chandler hardly played for the Hornets after the 2007-2008 season due to injuries.

Going to the 2nd round is the same as winning a championship. Granger and Hibbert both made the All-Star team yet their scrubs.

Obviously KG, Pierce, and Allen won't go to the Hall of Fame.

Neither of the Big 3 played together before they became the Big 3.

You need to keep it between the lines.

If you want to say they play with potential future HOFers, that's fine. No one is playing with HOFers.

The two Finals appearances and one ring figures greatly into the HOF decision for these players, and Rondo was the PG for those years.

Chris Paul averaged more points than anyone on his team during the 2007 playoffs. That indicates a problem. David West had fewer points per game than Chris Paul. Pargo had more ppg than Tyson Chandler.

Just ask DoK about point guards who lead the team in scoring.

DMC
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Oh Paul averaged 9.8 assists per game in his career compared to Rondo's 8.1.
It's not a career thing, it's a "right now" thing. Right now, a serious team would be better served with Rondo as their point than with Chris Paul, all else being equal.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 12:18 PM
You need to keep it between the lines.

If you want to say they play with potential future HOFers, that's fine. No one is playing with HOFers.

The two Finals appearances and one ring figures greatly into the HOF decision for these players, and Rondo was the PG for those years.

Chris Paul averaged more points than anyone on his team during the 2007 playoffs. That indicates a problem. David West had fewer points per game than Chris Paul. Pargo had more ppg than Tyson Chandler.

Just ask DoK about point guards who lead the team in scoring.

That's because Paul was the best scorer on that team. Most of West's points were created from Paul. He wasn't a great scorer in isolation. Paul was always their best scorer. They had no one on the team who could create their own shot. That's why Paul had to do the heavy lifting. That's more of a reflection on the team than on Paul. Same with Pargo averaging more points than Tyson. Tyson could only score on dunks and was a terrible FT shooter back then. Why would he get touches? Pargo was the only other person on that team who could create his shot off the dribble. Everyone else were glorified jump-shooters.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 12:21 PM
It's not a career thing, it's a "right now" thing. Right now, a serious team would be better served with Rondo as their point than with Chris Paul, all else being equal.

That just isn't true. Paul is an excellent floor general. He knows how to run an offense and is a strong passer. That's why he's one of the most efficient players in the league. He scores when he has to, but that doesn't usually happen till the 4th quarter of games. Rondo is a liability at times with his perimeter shooting. A big reason why the Celtics lost Game 7 to the Lakers. He couldn't make any open jumpers. Paul is a much better scorer than Rondo and overall a much better offensive PG since he can pass really well, shoot, and scorer. There's no comparison offensively between Paul and Rondo.

DMC
07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
That's because Paul was the best scorer on that team. Most of West's points were created from Paul. He wasn't a great scorer in isolation. Paul was always their best scorer. They had no one on the team who could create their own shot. That's why Paul had to do the heavy lifting. That's more of a reflection on the team than on Paul. Same with Pargo averaging more points than Tyson. Tyson could only score on dunks and was a terrible FT shooter back then. Why would he get touches? Pargo was the only other person on that team who could create his shot off the dribble. Everyone else were glorified jump-shooters.

Really?

So then no one on the Clippers can get their own shots, because CP averaged 20ppg, just a tad under Griffin, and above everyone else on the team.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Really?

So then no one on the Clippers can get their own shots, because CP averaged 20ppg, just a tad under Griffin, and above everyone else on the team.

But how does Griffin get most of his points? Mostly dunks and athleticism. He's not a great scorer in isolation right now. Doesn't have post skills, can't shoot well. He gets his points on dunks and running the floor. Who else do have the Clippers have who can create his own offense? Paul scores on these teams because he has to.

DMC
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
But how does Griffin get most of his points? Mostly dunks and athleticism. He's not a great scorer in isolation right now. Doesn't have post skills, can't shoot well. He gets his points on dunks and running the floor. Who else do have the Clippers have who can create his own offense? Paul scores on these teams because he has to.

Are you serious?

Did you even watch the Memphis series?

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Are you serious?

Did you even watch the Memphis series?

Who's a better scorer on that team than Paul? Outside of Blake.

DMC
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Who's a better scorer on that team than Paul? Outside of Blake.
You don't understand the concept of running the point. I know Chris Paul is a great scorer. Great scoring point guards, especially those with the highest salaries on the team, aren't conducive to winning championships. You don't need a great scoring point guard, you need a ball handler and distributor who can score if needed.

You're using post hoc ergo propter hoc, or because Paul scores a lot, he's required to. That's not true. He scores a lot because he's a great scorer. The top scorers on that team should be the bigs and/or shooting guards, not the PG.

That Clippers team has a shit load of scoring options if your PG can run the pick and roll, or distribute the ball and doesn't look for his shot first.

Shut down the PG and you cripple the team in Paul's case. Shut down the PG last year in Dallas and you get killed from elsewhere.

pass1st
07-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Helps Fisher's durability. He's putting his body on the line without hesitation on the court and walks away each & every time.

smaka
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
back to topic:

fatasses are: CP3, Lowry, Baron f'n Davis, and even Mario Chalmers imo with his fat face.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Paul is one of the best pick and roll point guards in the league. The Hornets always ran the PnR with him. He's a very adept passer. I think he would have been a pass first point in Boston and would have racked up alot of assists. He did that in NOLA with glorified jump shooters and a dunker in Chandler.

Clipper Nation
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM

CP3 has never had three hall of famers to carry him to a ring, tbh....

DMC
07-04-2012, 12:43 PM
CP3 has never had three hall of famers to carry him to a ring, tbh....

Welcome to page 1

Trill Clinton
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
no homillz

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
back to topic:

fatasses are: CP3, Lowry, Baron f'n Davis, and even Mario Chalmers imo with his fat face.

Lol, how much do Lowry and Chalmers weight tbh?

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Let me chime in here. Fatass and all, Paul is way better than Rondo. Who thinks otherwise? Lame.

Calispursfan11
07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I just gotta say DMC, get over yourself. You're not that smart. Do you have an advanced degree? I do. Or are you a teenager. You seem like it with your constant need for ego stroking. Lol.

JJ Hickson
07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
khalid el-amin

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 06:24 PM
:lol if CP3 was ever on a team good enough to win with him being a role player who lost minutes to Eddie House in the 4th quarter of crucial playoff games, he'd have a ring by now.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2012, 06:27 PM
A guard that can't shoot on a consistent basis has no argument for being the best player at his position, tbh..

Rondo is still a liability for long stretches..even with his improvements, he still stalls Boston's offense with his lack of confidence in his jump shot..

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Rondo will never be more than a role player on a championship team. The team he's on will always need to be able to bench him in the 4th quarter of key playoff games when they actually need a PG on the court who can shoot.

racm
07-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Rondo will never be more than a role player on a championship team. The team he's on will always need to be able to bench him in the 4th quarter of key playoff games when they actually need a PG on the court who can shoot.

Did you watch Game 2 against Miami?

Boston loses games when Rondo's the leading scorer because everyone else can't make buckets and Rondo has to take the scoring load.

Also, I recall Oscar Robertson had a fat ass.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Did you watch Game 2 against Miami?

Did you watch game 7 of the 2010 NBA finals?

mavs>spurs
07-04-2012, 08:59 PM
fatness does help pg's a lot, i once bulked up around 20 pounds and it helped my game tbh. lower center of gravity and easier to protect the ball imho.

m>s
07-04-2012, 11:55 PM
anthony johnson was the fattiest guy to ever play at this position as far as i can remember tbh

LnGrrrR
07-05-2012, 12:03 AM
A guard that can't shoot on a consistent basis has no argument for being the best player at his position, tbh..

Rondo is still a liability for long stretches..even with his improvements, he still stalls Boston's offense with his lack of confidence in his jump shot..

Agreed. If Rondo could ever get a reliable jumper (even from like 10-12 feet out, I'm not talking 17 feet), he'd be monstrous. He already can slash to the basket pretty well, but keeping opponents honest would really increase our effectiveness. It's one of the reasons KG came on so strong when he moved to center (and why when Shaq was on the floor for us we did well); it kept people honest.

If Rondo could shoot well enough to prevent a defender from sagging off... the C's would be pretty vicious, even as old as they are.