PDA

View Full Version : Forced to listen to the Kings announcers...

Wildcat67
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Thought I might blow my brains out midway through the game.

According to them the Kings are stacked with all stars and all the Spurs players outside Ginobili have massive flaws.

:flipoff:flipoff

Dingle Barry
03-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Youre on crack. They sucked off the Spurs most of the game. Way less homer than our guys, which isnt saying much.

DesignatedT
03-28-2012, 11:35 PM
The Kings announcers were just fine.

Wildcat67
03-28-2012, 11:36 PM
I guess you missed them inducting Isaiah Thomas into the HOF.

ajballer4
03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
The only thing I noticed were them thinking Isaiah Thomas was the next Isiah Thomas

NASpurs
03-28-2012, 11:38 PM

WGAF, it's their team. They can jerk off their team just like Sean and Bill do with the Spurs.

ElNono
03-28-2012, 11:38 PM
They're humble guys... frankly, they got a little excited seeing the game was close throughout, but they're first class.

Splits
03-28-2012, 11:40 PM
They were as about as nonpartisan as you'll find in the nba. Especially after listening to the godawful Sons announcers. Rockets are the worst tho

8FOR!3
03-28-2012, 11:41 PM

Seriously though. :lol

The one that got me was "Yeah Parker was once as quick as Isaiah Thomas, maybe 7-8 years ago..."

Reck
Yeah I had no problem with how they called the game. They were actually giving Timmy mad props and fairly nice overall on the Spurs as a team.

100%duncan
You kidding me? They were great except for the Isaiah Thomas part

DMC
Never had any issues with those guys. Quality guys imo.

Darkwaters
03-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Their announcers were fine. Sure there was some homerism, but every team has that - it should be expected. All and all they were pretty impartial. They probably have over-inflated views of Isaiah Thomas and they swore that Cousins was fouled on an obvious "raise my hands in the air and pretend an injustice has occured" moment. But otherwise they weren't bad.

The only thing was that they just seemed downright bored with the game. No excitement. No zeal. Just kind of going through the motions. I guess thats what happens when you're 17-33.

Seventyniner
03-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Rockets are the worst tho

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
they were pretty good man, no homer shit, just basic commentary very smooth for the ears if your not interested into favouritism of commentary for the home team....maybe those guys dont watch much of spurs games, but they were spot on just calling the game with no shit sugarcoating to please the viewer.....

Seventyniner
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Also, one of the Kings announcers had Parker as #3 in the MVP race, behind Durant and LeBron.

The Milwaukee announcers are great; they talk about +/- and other advanced statistics, and were very fair in pointing out missed calls on both ends. IIRC, the Minnesota are similarly good and balanced.

Reck
03-28-2012, 11:50 PM
I guess thats what happens when you're 17-33.

more like that's what happens when you know you have to do this for the next couple of years. :lol

sananspursfan21
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Please, they werent anything like the suns commentary i had to watch last night...that is true torture these kings commentators were nothin

will_spurs
03-29-2012, 04:18 AM
There's always going to be a "Scrub of the night" shooting lights out against the Spurs, and in this case the announcers tend to think that what they see is the average, when it is actually exceptional (that's why it's called a career-high).

Apart from that the Kings announcers were fine, if a bit listless. And they were right that quick PGs give us problems, although the good thing is that there are much fewer of them in playoff teams, since they tend to be lead by veterans.

They gave props to Duncan, Manu or Kawhi, even at some point quoting Dennis Green "he is who we think he is" (can't remember about which player, though).

Manufan909
03-29-2012, 04:35 AM
There's always going to be a "Scrub of the night" shooting lights out against the Spurs, and in this case the announcers tend to think that what they see is the average, when it is actually exceptional (that's why it's called a career-high).

Apart from that the Kings announcers were fine, if a bit listless. And they were right that quick PGs give us problems, although the good thing is that there are much fewer of them in playoff teams, since they tend to be lead by veterans.

They gave props to Duncan, Manu or Kawhi, even at some point quoting Dennis Green "he is who we think he is" (can't remember about which player, though).

I believe the quote was referring to Manu, right after his first effortless drive to the hoop at the end of the game.

capek
03-29-2012, 04:38 AM
They were as about as nonpartisan as you'll find in the nba. Especially after listening to the godawful Sons announcers. Rockets are the worst tho

If that drunk/Parkinsons sounding douche is still broadcasting Celtics games, he'd get my personal vote for worst. Though ya, the Rockets guys are really bad too.

Don't know what OP is talking about. Kings announcers are simply some of the best local announcers in the league. They're a lottery team, of course they're gonna pimp their star rookie. What other positives are they gonna touch on? :rolleyes

pookenstein
03-29-2012, 04:54 AM
godawful Sons announcers. Rockets are the worst tho

This.

I thought they were a bit boring, but not that bad.

Cry Havoc
03-29-2012, 05:19 AM
The Kings announcers were some of the best road announcers I've heard all year. Knicks are good too usually.

Cry Havoc
03-29-2012, 05:19 AM
And no one mentioned the Mavs announcers yet. Yikes. Awful.

Fireball
03-29-2012, 05:36 AM
If that drunk/Parkinsons sounding douche is still broadcasting Celtics games, he'd get my personal vote for worst. Though ya, the Rockets guys are really bad too.

Yeah, Heinsohn pretty much gets the nod together with the Rockets announcers ... Hornets and Thunder announcers can be pretty annoying too

Darkwaters
03-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Also, one of the Kings announcers had Parker as #3 in the MVP race, behind Durant and LeBron.

The Milwaukee announcers are great; they talk about +/- and other advanced statistics, and were very fair in pointing out missed calls on both ends. IIRC, the Minnesota are similarly good and balanced.

It seems like the worse the team is the more fair and equitable their announcers are. They're used to losing some and winning fewer, and so they have a much more balanced and insightful view of the game.

Announcers for teams that are historically competitive (ie, Lakers, Mavericks etc) have more of a chip on their shoulder. Their players can do no wrong etc etc. Factor in also that the Spurs' long-term success has made them a lot of enemies. A lot of announcers can't overcome their anti-Spurs bias following a slight they felt from the Spurs at some remote point in the past (*cough* Jon Barry *cough*).

Darkwaters
03-29-2012, 07:00 AM
Yeah, Heinsohn pretty much gets the nod together with the Rockets announcers ... Hornets and Thunder announcers can be pretty annoying too

The Hornets announcers aren't horrible. I especially think Gil McGregor is funny because he always makes comments like, "now you young players out there, watch this and that to refine your game."

I always listen to that and think, "what respectable young player is going to listen to an announcer give them pointers. Especially a Hornets announcer..."

Horse
03-29-2012, 07:09 AM
They went a little overboard on thomas but truthfully I was surprised how fair and how much credit they gave us.

mudyez
03-29-2012, 07:15 AM
what was that again?:

"if you are an announcer, you have to be three announcers in one....home, away, national!"

that said: the team owners want them to be homers, putting pressure on them, if they are not. but at the same time, they want to keep some of their credibility.

somewhere in that "pressure <> credibility saving" area you can find all of them.

Obstructed_View
03-29-2012, 07:54 AM
OP apparently never watches games with the other team's feeds. That crew was really good. Hell, they gave Jack the benefit of the doubt on that terrible blocking foul that they called a charge. It was funny hearing them say over and over "If there's a better rookie than Isaiah Thomas, I'd like to see him" while Kawhi Leonard was knocking down threes and making defensive plays.

Slomo
03-29-2012, 08:08 AM
The announcers were more than fair.

I was annoyed by how crazy loud the miked rims where (especially during free throws) and the arena's PA. It might have been just a bad audio mix for the League Pass stream, but it was annoying as hell.

BTW are the rims in the AT&T center miked or not?

Seventyniner
03-29-2012, 08:14 AM
The Hornets announcers aren't horrible. I especially think Gil McGregor is funny because he always makes comments like, "now you young players out there, watch this and that to refine your game."

I always listen to that and think, "what respectable young player is going to listen to an announcer give them pointers. Especially a Hornets announcer..."

If McGregor had been saying "son" instead of "young player," I'd think he was BRHornet45.

Obstructed_View
03-29-2012, 08:52 AM
The announcers were more than fair.

I was annoyed by how crazy loud the miked rims where (especially during free throws) and the arena's PA. It might have been just a bad audio mix for the League Pass stream, but it was annoying as hell.

BTW are the rims in the AT&T center miked or not?

I think all the baskets have microphones on them, though like you said, they don't seem to be mixed the same way from arena to arena and from game to game. I've never noticed them being loud in San Antonio. I sort of assumed the teams turned them up for whatever reason. Prior to this year, the Spurs never dunked so there wasn't much reason to have the volume up.

will_spurs
03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
It was funny hearing them say over and over "If there's a better rookie than Isaiah Thomas, I'd like to see him" while Kawhi Leonard was knocking down threes and making defensive plays.

I smiled when they said that but at some point they gave Kawhi some props so I thought it was ok.

Not sure how the Spurs announcers are perceived, but I don't get the feeling they really pimp the Spurs players that much, in the sense that they tend to stay factual (e.g. Matt Bonner is one of the best 3pt shooters in the league).

freetiago
03-29-2012, 09:42 AM
sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ is actually one of the most hated announcers in the league
people think hes as bad as heinson guy

Obstructed_View
03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
I smiled when they said that but at some point they gave Kawhi some props so I thought it was ok.

I hear lots of announcers giving Leonard credit, though I don't think anyone really looks at what he does to see how valuable he is. As mentioned elsewhere, if he's not scoring a lot of points nobody thinks about it until he rips their team up.

Rummpd
03-29-2012, 09:49 AM
I will say that if their formerly troubled man child of a center keeps developing the sky is the limit for the Kings if they surround him with decent talent. MC is strong and athletic enough to dominate the post and his upside is sick if he truly is going in the right direction in other ways.

Spurs9
03-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I watched Fox Sports SW, so I had Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ as the annoucer. NBA tv wasn't working for me yesterday

jag
03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I thought they were really good. I did, however, think it was kind of strange how they kept talking about how much faster/quicker Isaiah Thomas is than Parker. Tony looked pretty worn out last night, and I can't really say I blame him considering the load he's had to carry while Manu was out tending to his brittle bones. So yeah, he looked tired and wasn't explosive by any means, but do those commentators really think Isaiah Thomas is head and shoulders faster/quicker than parker?

There was a moment where Tony and Isaiah were talking and laughing during the game and one of the commentators joked that Tony was probably telling Isaiah "I used to be quick like you 7 or 8 years ago." Tony is 29, not 38. Tony has been absolutely blowing past everyone this year. He's looked faster and quicker this season than I think he's looked since '08. Isaiah Thomas is 5'2" so his little ass legs are going to look fast next to anyone over 6-feet tall.

I was just surprised, nay, offended they forgot who the fastest poing guard in the League is.

SI.com: Who is really the fastest point guard? Tony Parker (20.9 mph) (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/03/08/who-is-really-the-fastest-point-guard/)

And oh ya, those numbers aren't from 8 years ago; they're from this season.

Isaiah Thomas... come on, son.

:worthy: http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/tony-parker.jpg

JR3
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I didn't think anything of them other than they were really boring to listen to.

sehui
03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Way too overboard with Isaiah Thomas - he's good and was a steal in the draft, but my god they were talking about how he could be MVP in like 2-3 years.

spursnatic
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Evidentally you haven't heard the Homers that do commentating for the Thunder?...Way worse I can't stand the fuckers

roycrikside
03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
The worst announcers are Houston, Portland and Dallas. They all HATE the Spurs. Phoenix would be my 4th and the Warriors guys would be 5th.

The Kings guys slurped Thomas pretty good, but took it easy on us for the most part. They did get on Pop a bit for yelling at the refs and did that cliche thing all opponent broadcasters do with Duncan, where they joke that Tim thinks he's committed only two fouls his entire career, which is so absurd since Duncan is one of the few stars who raises his arm to admit he made a foul like half the time he gets called for them.

Obstructed_View
03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
And not to take away from Thomas, who looks like a really good player and had a great night.

Spurs Brazil
03-29-2012, 03:27 PM
I liked them

urunobili
03-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Top 5 I've enjoyed from an opposite team team announcers tbh...

coco1983
03-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Completely disagree. Sure they were a little homerish but most guys are. They were very fair and mostly accurate when talking about the Spurs and seemed to have no problem acknowledging when our players did something well. The announcers I can't stand to listen to are the ones who won't give our team any credit when we make plays. These guys weren't like that at all. Top 3 of other teams announcers this year, imo.

phxspurfan
03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I didn't notice anything over-the-top. They praised Manu a ton of times and Duncan as well, even if he is like a million years old. And they didn't rag on Manu too much for flopping like he did on that end of quarter shot (Which he did).

Sense
03-29-2012, 06:17 PM
If you're going to start a thread about announcers, you don't start it about the Kings' ... watch more games ffs.

ZB 512
03-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Not sure how the Spurs announcers are perceived

as the biggest homer announcers outside of Boston

Sense
03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
as the biggest homer announcers outside of Boston

:lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
03-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Warriors guys would be 5th.

Not sure what you're talking about, the Warriors commentators are also really fair.

mudyez
03-30-2012, 06:23 AM
did watch the Sactown game now...These commentators are no homers at all...as owner I would be pissed, as they are more like Spurs homers!

overall they pointed out some nice stuff....good work in that regard....but they always seem a little bored, buts probably because their team sucks so much...not much to get excited about.

jbspurs
03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Seriously though. :lol

The one that got me was "Yeah Parker was once as quick as Isaiah Thomas, maybe 7-8 years ago..."

I think that is true. I saw how quick Thomas with or without the ball, He is way quicker than Parker. I am not saying Parker is slow, Thomas is just quicker. What they didn't mention is the quickness of Patty Mills, I think Mills is just as quick as Thomas.