PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts after watching the Rockets game on dvr

Splits
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Matt Bonner is an underrated defender. He gets a lot of hate on this board, but he works his ass off on the defensive end.

For all the bitching about Blair being mad about not starting, dude BEASTED in his limited minutes.

Thank god Splitter is still nailed to the bench.

Why all the hate on Hill? He didn't play half bad in this game, and his perimeter defense is the best on the team. Pop obviously trusts him since he is on the floor in the last 2 minutes and not Bonner or Neal (or, thank god, Splinter)

Gary Neal is a stud. He can't expect any consistency in his playing time, but produces every minute he is on the court. Congratulations to Gary. That dude doesn't deserve it, he EARNS it. Every minute on the floor. And not only that, he's a class act, I saw him pick up Dragic off the floor for no other reason than he respects his hustle. He's gotta be the feelgood story of the year in the NBA. I don't care if he doesn't make another shot the rest of the season, dude is simply a stud with a high BBIQ.

The Spurs are simply clutch. Pop has been talking about "stops on demand" for awhile now, and this team locks down in the final minutes when the game is on the line.

Don't ever hate on Gino. Dude may go through slumps but when it counts the man is as hungry as anyone in the league. And he hits clutch shots. I hate to see the jackups as much as the next guy, but he is the guy with the ball in his hands and we are fucking 54-12.

Tim Duncan is, and always will be, Tim Duncan. If we need a bucket, and he isn't doubled, we get one 70% of the time. And when Timmy can no longer do that is when he will retire. Solid man. Solid player. Solid teammate.

Edit: Tony Parker is the unsung hero and most under-appreciated player. Dude brings it every night and is our catalyst.

duncan228
03-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the write-up.

Tim Duncan is, and always will be, Tim Duncan. If we need a bucket, and he isn't doubled, we get one 70% of the time. And when Timmy can no longer do that is when he will retire. Solid man. Solid player. Solid teammate.

Duncan may not be the player he was in his prime, but he's still a core piece of this team. Enjoy watching him play while we still can. :)

Duncan in the post remains a reliable option for Spurs (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/13/duncan-in-the-post-remains-a-reliable-option-for-spurs/)
Jeff McDonald

When the Spurs needed a big basket late in Saturday’s victory at Houston, they pulled a page from the past.

They tossed the ball to Tim Duncan in the low post, stood back and watched him go to work.

Duncan rewarded his team with a post-up basket on Chuck Hayes to break a 117-117 tie with 1:09 to go and followed with a pair of free throws on the Spurs’ next possession.

For Duncan, in the midst of the lowest-scoring season of his Hall of Fame career, it’s not about scoring 20 points per game anymore. It’s about scoring two points when it most matters.

Keep reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/13/duncan-in-the-post-remains-a-reliable-option-for-spurs/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/03/13/duncan-in-the-post-remains-a-reliable-option-for-spurs/

Sean Cagney
03-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Matt Bonner is an underrated defender. He gets a lot of hate on this board, but he works his ass off on the defensive end.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ EHHHHHHHH NO, I agree great post above but that there is not true. He works his ass off but he is not that talented, period.

FvckMavs
03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
McDonald was wrong again. It was 107-107 tie.

Splits
03-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the write-up.

Duncan may not be the player he was in his prime, but he's still a core piece of this team. Enjoy watching him play while we still can. :)

Absolutely. :toast

That we can even be having this conversation, at this point in his career, is phenomenal. Who else has carried a team on his back for so long? Obviously Jordan, but I can't think of many other when it comes to the 4-spot (Hi Karl Molone!). First ballot HOF and if he gets one for the thumb it will be the epic lifetime achievement.

4>0rings
03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
1 thing I noticed is how the Spurs just outplay everyone in the 4th, this is going to be a blessing in the playoffs.

Nathan89
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
On the topic of Tim aka "Mr. Fundamental", has he always went up with the wrong hand when he shoots in the post? He always brings the ball up with right hand making it very difficult for him to score against lengthy bigs.

Juggity
03-14-2011, 12:46 AM
1 thing I noticed is how the Spurs just outplay everyone in the 4th, this is going to be a blessing in the playoffs.

Exactly, it's bizarre how we almost always own the fourth quarter. Even in games like the Laker loss a week ago, we fucking turned on beast mode in the fourth quarter. If only we could sustain that intensity or distribute it more evenly throughout the game...

Yorae
03-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Effort wise, he's really good, talent wise.....

Obstructed_View
03-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Splitter on his worst day is a better defender, shot blocker, and rebounder than Matt Bonner. If Bonner's not hitting at least 40 percent of his threes, he has little to no value on the court.

Fireball
03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Splitter on his worst day is a better defender, shot blocker, and rebounder than Matt Bonner. If Bonner's not hitting at least 40 percent of his threes, he has little to no value on the court.

I would like to see more Splitter as well, but Bonners floating baby hook against Houston wasn't too shabby either ...

FromWayDowntown
03-14-2011, 10:49 AM
With the Rockets playing micro-ball (not just small ball) for most of the 4th on Saturday night, I was truly surprised that the Spurs didn't just pound the ball to Duncan during that stretch of the game.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Don't ever hate on Gino. Dude may go through slumps but when it counts the man is as hungry as anyone in the league. And he hits clutch shots. I hate to see the jackups as much as the next guy, but he is the guy with the ball in his hands and we are fucking 54-12.

Obviously Manu still can take over a game at times. But the step back three pointers are getting old and I think are an indication of a potential future problem. He's so competitive that it's going to be very difficult for him to recognize the point where he's "lost it" and needs to defer to someone else in certain situations.

TMTTRIO
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Manu's getting to the point where he can't play without either Tim or Tony because he can't offensively carry the Spurs consistently anymore. His shooting has gotten worse. Yes he's still good with intangibles but it seems like when Tim or Tony are both out with Manu being the only one on the floor, the other team seems to go on some big runs.

wontstartdumbthreads
03-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Manu's getting to the point where he can't play without either Tim or Tony because he can't offensively carry the Spurs consistently anymore. His shooting has gotten worse. Yes he's still good with intangibles but it seems like when Tim or Tony are both out with Manu being the only one on the floor, the other team seems to go on some big runs.

I think without Tim and Tony, the other team can pack the lane when Manu has the ball. And then just be aware of the kickout to the shooters when he gets near the rim.

Pauleta14
03-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Good read!

I agree specialy on Neal and Duncan and applause your "Edit"!!

Concerning Manu, we'll need his clutchess to win the title, but it won't happen if Pop doesn't save him the same way he does with Timmy until the rest of the season...

He looks weak and seems skinnier, he is my only concern (with Bonner's efficiency during the PO)

Pauleta14
03-14-2011, 11:54 AM

He can ...WHEN he got his legs!

Remember last year he dominated when Tony was out (before his PO slump) and at the begenning of the present season, he could carry the team by himself and creat his own shot more easily...

The guy is getting older and plays more than he ever had!

Let's hope we keep at least a 4 or 5 games advance on the 2nd so he can rest.